As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    They knock enemies out of overwatch even if it doesnt kill them.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    They knock enemies out of overwatch even if it doesnt kill them.

I don't regard overwatch much in this game anyway. When a Justicar can just barrier up and walk through overwatch fire it takes the sting out. Similarly, Interceptors can just teleport past it.

I also rarely use overwatch myself for two reasons: first, the base overwatch cone is shorter than most enemy weapon ranges, and they're usually smart enough to not walk into a wall of bolter fire. Second, if you're in full cover when you enter overwatch, you step to the side and likely are an easy target...you don't even duck back into cover after shooting.

Overwatch is for melee enemies...even then, a lot of them will just stand there and mutate for self-buffs rather than charge you.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I still use it when its necessary. It is what it is.

Maybe later ill stop using grenades but early game they're super effective.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited May 2022
    I still use it when its necessary. It is what it is.

Maybe later ill stop using grenades but early game they're super effective.

I haven't tested it extensively but it sure seems like, while my boys leaning out from cover to fire will set off overwatch fire, I haven't seen enemies trigger that way. Might have just not had quite the correct overwatch cone, though, and stopped doing it prematurely.

EDIT: I just tested a new grenade I got, the Empyrian Brain Mine, Tier 3. It applies +5 stun in a .5 blast range (which my Purgator increases to 1.5). I used it to execute four demons in one round. Officially hilarious and not balanced at all. Glory to the Emperor!

Dracomicron on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I just got Garran. Who thought this was a good idea!?

The AI is a bit clumsy at times. Like, those spoodge-thrower plague marines, they just keep running away and gooping up the floor around them, not once has one ran at my squad and hosed them down in what I can only assume to be eldar feces.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited May 2022
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I just got Garran. Who thought this was a good idea!?

Complex Games previously only made F2P mobile games, apparently, and pay2win is essentially how those so business. I think they're still adapting to single player balancing.

Anyway, Garran's really good, but he's not really as broken as you'd expect for a level 20 character. The inability to gear him makes him less attractive for specialized missions.
    The AI is a bit clumsy at times. Like, those spoodge-thrower plague marines, they just keep running away and gooping up the floor around them, not once has one ran at my squad and hosed them down in what I can only assume to be eldar feces.

Deathguard are some loopy fuckers, that's for sure. My headcanon is that Nurgle basically hollowed them out mentally and they mostly live only to spew goo. Plus they're paranoid, so they overwatch the flanks instead of facing the enemy.

The only other baddie with AI that bad are the melee daemons that mutate instead of attack.

Dracomicron on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I never use names characters in these kinds of games anyway. Just let me use my crew I leveled up myself.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I never use names characters in these kinds of games anyway. Just let me use my crew I leveled up myself.

How do you feel about Jane Kelly in XCOM 2?

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Also, contrary to the thread title, there's no hit percentage chance.

You always hit, range determines damage dealt.

I really like that.

untrue, enemies behind cover might not get tagged.
    anyone you have an angle or standing out in the open, yeah, 100% hit chance.
    feels a bit funny though, running around in terminator armor and getting gibbed by some schmuck with an auto stubber.

I don't think this is how it works—like, it's not a hit percentage in cover.

Cover in Chaos Gate reduces damage, so light cover and full cover can lead to a zero damage shot (from you or from the enemy). You will just not take that shot, most of the time, but the enemy often will, because the AI is very tentative, sandbagging a bit for the sake of immersion and ease of play, and tbh a little bad. Part of the reason your marines feel so tough is that enemies are more likely to overwatch than shoot you even when you're in the open, and their overwatch never gets more than one shot, unlike yours. They waste tons and tons of AP.

But zero damage shots in cover do damage destructible cover, so sometimes they'll shoot you out of cover with a zero damage shot.

I recently did the mission that unlocks other seed types and while that one was challenging, the game is becoming trivially easy even on Ruthless. The AI is just really absurdly generous to the player and I'm kinda disappointed.

Evil Multifarious on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

I really like that.

feels a bit funny though, running around in terminator armor and getting gibbed by some schmuck with an auto stubber.

Cover in Chaos Gate reduces damage, so light cover and full cover can lead to a zero damage shot (from you or from the enemy). You will just not take that shot, most of the time, but the enemy often will, because the AI is very tentative, sandbagging a bit for the sake of immersion and ease of play, and tbh a little bad. Part of the reason your marines feel so tough is that enemies are more likely to overwatch than shoot you even when you're in the open, and their overwatch never gets more than one shot, unlike yours. They waste tons and tons of AP.

But zero damage shots in cover do damage destructible cover, so sometimes they'll shoot you out of cover with a zero damage shot.

I recently did the mission that unlocks other seed types and while that one was challenging, the game is becoming trivially easy even on Ruthless. The AI is just really absurdly generous to the player and I'm kinda disappointed.

tbf, every game kinda hits a point like that where you just zip past the difficulty threshold.
    Although I will admit Xcom2 ran a way tighter ship and that point came a lot later in the game.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really like that.

tbf, every game kinda hits a point like that where you just zip past the difficulty threshold.
    Although I will admit Xcom2 ran a way tighter ship and that point came a lot later in the game.

In my game I told the chapter master that I would perform every glorious deed for 2 months, resulting in me doing ridiculous things like doing missions without spending willpower or leaving all my fancy tier 3 weapons and armor on the ship. It's made some missions significantly harder and made me think more on team composition.

While that has been fun, mofo promised to send a fully-outfitted strike fleet and where is my strike fleet, man?

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I really like that.

In my game I told the chapter master that I would perform every glorious deed for 2 months, resulting in me doing ridiculous things like doing missions without spending willpower or leaving all my fancy tier 3 weapons and armor on the ship. It's made some missions significantly harder and made me think more on team composition.

While that has been fun, mofo promised to send a fully-outfitted strike fleet and where is my strike fleet, man?

If you were truly devout you would know that the emperor is all the protection you need.

I got three phases into the final battle before I realized that my 18 willpower vortex-hucking librarian was missing. No wonder I was doing so poorly!

Actually the other reason is that my two best guys were out on a 60 day mission when I triggered the endgame, and over half my team was already banged up (some from random events). There's one point in the endgame where (minor, non-specific spoilers)
    the Dominus offhandedly mentions that we've been traveling in the warp for weeks since the endgame started, but none of my guys have healed up or returned from mission. Fucking warp temporal bullshit, I tell you what.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Librarian is definitely about as powerful as I expected. Particularly with the group teleport.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Who?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have been doing the glorious deeds (aside from zero willpower, since that one is kinda boring and is also busted, since if you get hit with a Drain effect you lose the deed) and they do add a bit of challenge, but then you get a bunch of requisition piling up and you can buy all these great weapons and keep a full roster easily

Enemy variety is pretty limited as well, or at least it's growing too slowly for my taste

Still a great game that I'm going to finish, but I wonder if I'll replay it in the future on the hardest difficulty (no resurrection for your knights does seem like a nice challenge early on)

Who?

Jane Kelly is a named character in XCOM 2. She's the ranger that triggers the bomb in the truck in the opening. Almost everyone uses her their first run. She's kinda a memetic badass.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I really like that.

In Xcom 1 you leave yourself open, a thinman crits you to death from on top of a building. Xcom 2 you get stunlancered and one shot with bad positioning

In this, the goopthrowers are like, hey man don't walk on this floor for a couple of turns. No damage though, even though I could totally spray 3 of you

They deliberately and obviously don't play anywhere near as rough as they could or should. And it's not a variable on difficulty levels.

edited May 2022
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I really like that.

In Xcom 1 you leave yourself open, a thinman crits you to death from on top of a building. Xcom 2 you get stunlancered and one shot with bad positioning

In this, the goopthrowers are like, hey man don't walk on this floor for a couple of turns. No damage though, even though I could totally spray 3 of you

They deliberately and obviously don't play anywhere near as rough as they could or should. And it's not a variable on difficulty levels.

I think it would be better if those enemies were just weird daemons that were compelled to spread infection. Making them plague marines, who should be a rough equal to regular Loyalist marines (not Grey Knights of course), makes their ineffectiveness grating.

I hope Complex Games is listening to complaints and trying to figure out how to do difficulty correctly. They have a fantastic platform tor XCOMing in the 40k universe; just gotta make the enemies not have to be total morons in order to manage difficulty.

Example endgame mission (no story):
    There is a section where your squad has to defend a chokepoint from four waves of Deathguard, each about four or five pods. These are random; my first wave had two floaters in addition to marines, which seriously messed me up. By wave four I was down to three knights and all of them had been downed once, so I got out of their way. They mostly just walked past me through the chokepoint overwatching in my direction or hazard spraying in my direction.

I could buy it based on Grandpa Nurgle's strategy of letting the infected live to spread disease... but Astartes of any variety don't work like that, really.

Dracomicron on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure this PP run is lost. Attacks on my bases are coming faster than I can heal up from the last one and I'm regularly running out of tech from just replenishing after missing. Might disable Festering Skies next run? I don't think aerial combat is engaging enough to justify the resources it takes, plus the behemoth can really wreck your board if you get unlucky with flier spawns.

That kinda leads into my main complaint, I'm not a fan of how the strategic layer is balanced. You get front loaded all your resources but most of the tech and upgrades are (randomly?) back loaded so I just couldn't purchase anything by the time I unlocked it. If I'd gotten food production earlier I might have been about to trade for enough tech to keep up but I'm pretty sure I'd already lost by the time it unlocked.

Carpy wrote: »
    Pretty sure this PP run is lost. Attacks on my bases are coming faster than I can heal up from the last one and I'm regularly running out of tech from just replenishing after missing. Might disable Festering Skies next run? I don't think aerial combat is engaging enough to justify the resources it takes, plus the behemoth can really wreck your board if you get unlucky with flier spawns.

That kinda leads into my main complaint, I'm not a fan of how the strategic layer is balanced. You get front loaded all your resources but most of the tech and upgrades are (randomly?) back loaded so I just couldn't purchase anything by the time I unlocked it. If I'd gotten food production earlier I might have been about to trade for enough tech to keep up but I'm pretty sure I'd already lost by the time it unlocked.

I found food production not worth the base slot because the amount of food provided is trivial compared to defending a town from a raid, completing a mission, getting a faction drop, or even many site investigations.

I feel like I didn't get that many base attacks; are you knocking over dens and lairs after your radar reveals them?

I found food production not worth the base slot because the amount of food provided is trivial compared to defending a town from a raid, completing a mission, getting a faction drop, or even many site investigations.

I feel like I didn't get that many base attacks; are you knocking over dens and lairs after your radar reveals them?

Yeah, as soon as I have a healed crew I take them out. I do currently have a citadel up but it's on the wrong part of the globe to the source of my base attacks. Been hesitant to take it on because my first Scylla was in a haven defense and it killed two troops and then promptly fell over dead of it's own accord. I think my actual issue is not activating enough Phoenix bases, don't have enough radar coverage to catch all the lairs.

Yeah, as soon as I have a healed crew I take them out. I do currently have a citadel up but it's on the wrong part of the globe to the source of my base attacks. Been hesitant to take it on because my first Scylla was in a haven defense and it killed two troops and then promptly fell over dead of it's own accord. I think my actual issue is not activating enough Phoenix bases, don't have enough radar coverage to catch all the lairs.

Okay, yeah. Getting a base or two on every continent is really handy, not only to detect pandoran structures but to reveal investigation sites and havens, which are all potentially lucrative. You eventually also need refueling points so you can get to Antarctica.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Who?

Jane Kelly is a named character in XCOM 2. She's the ranger that triggers the bomb in the truck in the opening. Almost everyone uses her their first run. She's kinda a memetic badass.

I always rename a random character Jane Kelly in every XCOM 2 run. If she dies, a new Jane Kelly takes over.
    She's like the Dread Pirate Roberts.
    I don't think it actually does any psychological warfare damage in-game when Advent realise that they just can't kill this one human, but I'm happy with the thought of it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Who?

iirc she's also the Director of Chimera Squad

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

Who?

iirc she's also the Director of Chimera Squad

Yes, I was getting there eventually. 😁

(Chimera Squad is great)

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I absolutely need to replay it soon, I have a very strong suspicion that XCOM3 will be using that rolodex/FFX turn system which is good news because I love it every time it shows up in a game

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I absolutely need to replay it soon, I have a very strong suspicion that XCOM3 will be using that rolodex/FFX turn system which is good news because I love it every time it shows up in a game

I also would not be put out if XCOM 3 used breach mechanics for some missions. Way to get right to the action.

klemming wrote: »

Who?

I always rename a random character Jane Kelly in every XCOM 2 run. If she dies, a new Jane Kelly takes over.
    I don't think it actually does any psychological warfare damage in-game when Advent realise that they just can't kill this one human, but I'm happy with the thought of it.

We Are All Jane Kelly.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So Jane Kelly is Patrick Stewart?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    klemming wrote: »

Actually now that I recall, I did save Jane Kelly in the soldier creator roster so sometimes she just shows up in recruitment. I imagine her first day mostly consists of signing autographs.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Chimera Squad has encounter lengths that are perfect for "just one more encounter"

surprisingly addicting!

edited May 2022
    Orca wrote: »
    Chimera Squad has encounter lengths that are perfect for "just one more encounter"

surprisingly addicting!

Same reason I still play Into the Breach occasionally. I know that each skirmish is only going to be 3-4 turns.

EDIT:

Looks like a good update patch for Daemonhunters just dropped.
    Balance Changes
    Grey Knights are now more resilient to becoming wounded in the early stages of the game on all difficulties.
    Grey Knights will now recover to full health after the Purgation Ritual is completed.
    Grey Knights on assignment will have that status cleared.
    All ship statuses such as character morale statuses will also be cleared.
    Critically Wounded Knights will not receive augmetics in this way.

Well it's a good thing they fixed all that Purgation Ritual stuff after I had a hell of a time with the endgame. Now that I'm Ironmanning it I'll be happier when I drag my sorry carcasses past the finish line.

Dracomicron on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah this game specifically focuses on the Grey Knights as the player faction, and that's the only option. It's a very narrow focus.

Hopefully they will release expansions or sequels with other playable factions. I think for the sake of this as a standalone product, the narrow focus helps it. They were able to put a bunch of care and attention to detail into the Grey Knight character models, abilities, and lore. I'd be ok if it was one playable faction per game.

I'd fucking love a bigger budget Deathwatch game.

You've got different Marines from different chapters, which can open up different builds (Salamander is really good with Flamers and Meltas, Space Wolf and Bood Angel is great at melee, Ultramarine is... an Ultramarine, etc). You have lots of different enemies which plays nice with smaller, more contained stories and expansions - surgical strike on an Ork Waaagh, Eldar Corsairs fucking with a system, rooting out a Genestealer Cult, etc.

Then so, so much wargear. Do you stick to Imperial weapons, or do you give your Salamander a Fusion Gun? Give your Black Templar a Choppa or a Rock Saw?

You could even stick to the Inquisition theme and add in Sisters and Deathwatch

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah this game specifically focuses on the Grey Knights as the player faction, and that's the only option. It's a very narrow focus.

Hopefully they will release expansions or sequels with other playable factions. I think for the sake of this as a standalone product, the narrow focus helps it. They were able to put a bunch of care and attention to detail into the Grey Knight character models, abilities, and lore. I'd be ok if it was one playable faction per game.

I'd fucking love a bigger budget Deathwatch game.

You've got different Marines from different chapters, which can open up different builds (Salamander is really good with Flamers and Meltas, Space Wolf and Bood Angel is great at melee, Ultramarine is... an Ultramarine, etc). You have lots of different enemies which plays nice with smaller, more contained stories and expansions - surgical strike on an Ork Waaagh, Eldar Corsairs fucking with a system, rooting out a Genestealer Cult, etc.

Then so, so much wargear. Do you stick to Imperial weapons, or do you give your Salamander a Fusion Gun? Give your Black Templar a Choppa or a Rock Saw?

You could even stick to the Inquisition theme and add in Sisters and Deathwatch

In addition to a Gaunt's Ghosts XCOM, I could handle a full Sororitas game. Still power armored badasses, but maybe not as meaty (currently playing on Ruthless Grandmaster in Daemonhunters, and I don't actually fear for my troops' lives even when I gravely miscalculate, which drains some tension). Would still want to knock over pillars onto heretics, though.

Maybe fight Slaanesh for added purity vs depravity points.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

surprisingly addicting!

Same reason I still play Into the Breach occasionally. I know that each skirmish is only going to be 3-4 turns.

I have spent way too much time with Into the Breach. It got to the point where I only play random squads now.

It's a wonderful little game when you have a half hour to kill and don't want to get too deep into something.

surprisingly addicting!

I have spent way too much time with Into the Breach. It got to the point where I only play random squads now.

It's a wonderful little game when you have a half hour to kill and don't want to get too deep into something.

100% same!

Just a heads-up, there's deep discounts on most 40k games (not Daemonhunters) for the Skulls celebration. You can get Mechanicus plus the Heretek DLC for $12 until June 8.

Speaking of Mechanicus it's free to play this weekend if you have Gold or Gamepass. (So is Chaosbane and Vermintide 2 but those are different threads)

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So if I wanted to scratch the squad tactical combat itch, which is the better game: Daemonhunters or Mechanicus?