As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Speaking of emulation, what do y'all think of all these Android-based handhelds that have been coming out lately?

I was interested but I ended up getting a steam deck.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I made my own handheld with a Kindle and a telescopic controller. I was playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Speaking of emulation, what do y'all think of all these Android-based handhelds that have been coming out lately?

Yeah, what LD50 said. I was seriously eyeing up an Anbernic, probably an RG351 of either P or M persuasion, and then Valve were all like "check this out", and, well... that was that. Although it did mean a longer wait.

The Anbernic would be at least something easily pocketable, though (comparable in size to an original GBA), which the Lynx-dwarfing Deck is very much not.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't really want another massive handheld, and the Deck is huge. I ordered a Retroid Pocket 2+. Haven't actually received it yet. Seems like a pretty good price:power ratio. It's supposed to be pretty good up to Dreamcast and PSP. Gets a bit sketchy if you try to push PS2/GCN.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Space Quests 4 and 6 were fully voiced but Space Quest 5 wasn't. Text only. But Space Quest 5 was the strongest entry of the three quality-wise proving bells and whistles don't make up for solid fundamentals.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Space Quests 4 and 6 were fully voiced but Space Quest 5 wasn't. Text only. But Space Quest 5 was the strongest entry most forgettable of the three

I mean I didn't even have the talkie version, but it was still obvious that SQIV was the greatest of all time. It includes at least 5 or 6 other space quest games within itself, how could it not be the best?

It's entirely possible V was forgettable just because I didn't have to bump my head against deadly puzzles endlessly though. Seemed relatively easy and even more linear than IV. Also you aren't a janitor, which is kind of unforgivable.

That said I could at least play through V. Got tired of VI pretty early on.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    SQ6 is the only one I made it through as a kid because you had to try real fucking hard to die in that one, compared to the others where you can die just for breathing wrong(especially the start of SQ4). For someone who really began point and clicks with Day of the Tentacle and Fate of Atlantis, they were basically non-starters.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    SQ6 is the only one I made it through as a kid because you had to try real fucking hard to die in that one, compared to the others where you can die just for breathing wrong(especially the start of SQ4). For someone who really began point and clicks with Day of the Tentacle and Fate of Atlantis, they were basically non-starters.

That's because you merely adopted verb->noun. I was born with the text parser, molded by Transylvania. I didn't see point n' click until I was already a teen, by then death was nothing to me but a quickload!

golcqdmts3q5.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I mean I at least did play through Hugo 1-3 as a kid, where whether or not you died was often based on how fast you could type.

It definitely helped practice my typing speed.

• Options
    I played some of Silent Hill: Downpour. I forgot it had the Mailman in it.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I mean I at least did play through Hugo 1-3 as a kid, where whether or not you died was often based on how fast you could type.

Better than me, honestly. Werewolf ate me every damn time. You could run if you typed fast enough, but you really needed to find the gun +silver bullet to buy yourself some peace and we never did.

Sierra's die-a-thons weren't the best game design, but at least they let you save anywhere. Deaths are also pretty entertaining at times. Some kind of generous checkpoint system would definitely be an improvement though.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Better than me, honestly. Werewolf ate me every damn time. You could run if you typed fast enough, but you really needed to find the gun +silver bullet to buy yourself some peace and we never did.

Sierra's die-a-thons weren't the best game design, but at least they let you save anywhere. Deaths are also pretty entertaining at times. Some kind of generous checkpoint system would definitely be an improvement though.

The other part of what makes the Sierra games work is that even if you screw up unfixably you can get back to where you were in less than an hour. It’s figuring out what to do that makes it take so long.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    SQ 4 was really good but there is one point where if you don’t take a picture with your phone of something you literally will get stuck later and the game will be unfinishable.

Like a code is on a screen at one point in the game that you have to put in a different code to overwrite, and if you don’t think to write the original code before you put another in you can’t ever get it back (short of reloading a saved game before you went there and writing it down/screenshotting it/grabbing a phone pic of it). To make it ‘better’, the code is in alien letters and is randomly generated for each game.

So some fun sierra bullshit there.

Other than that one spot I don’t even think its possible to get stuck anywhere.

I always kind of wonder what people did back in the day when saved games weren’t space trivial and you couldn’t keep a directory of 30 save games in subfolders by location to go back to if you got stuck in a dead end. Did sierra really intend people to play these games like roguelikes or something?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't really want another massive handheld, and the Deck is huge. I ordered a Retroid Pocket 2+. Haven't actually received it yet. Seems like a pretty good price:power ratio. It's supposed to be pretty good up to Dreamcast and PSP. Gets a bit sketchy if you try to push PS2/GCN.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. :+1:

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    They did it again:

https://youtu.be/NbxJ4RrSUx0

• Options
    Who'd have thunk it?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny that Xbox, with it's shorter and IMO less interesting legacy that's committed to preserving it while Sony and Nintendo just don't seem to give any kind of shit.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny that Xbox, with it's shorter and IMO less interesting legacy that's committed to preserving it while Sony and Nintendo just don't seem to give any kind of shit.

At least Nintendo has released some patch updates for some of its iffy to bad port jobs. Sony is committed to making brand new mistakes in this area, all the time.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I feel like it's even worse because they're making the same mistakes. Isn't this why the PS classic was a mess too?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    I feel like it's even worse because they're making the same mistakes. Isn't this why the PS classic was a mess too?

Mostly but not entirely.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I guess leaving out a ton of iconic games while including some odd choices didn't help either.

The 30 bucks I spent on it on clearance was worth it for the 2 usb PS controllers though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    anoffday wrote: »
    I guess leaving out a ton of iconic games while including some odd choices didn't help either.

The 30 bucks I spent on it on clearance was worth it for the 2 usb PS controllers though.

Yeah. Between PAL versions (PAL Tekken 3 remains an abomination), an often bizarre line-up of games (for every FF7 and MGS there's a Battle Arena Toshinden, Tomb Raider was conspicuously absent, etc, although the odd deep cut like Jumping Flash was cool), generally iffy emulation, a poor UI, digital-only controllers, etc etc, it felt very thrown together and phoned in as a cash grab. The physical shell is nice quality though, and the Open button switching discs is a nice touch. But it's clear nowhere near as much love was given to it as the NES, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, PC Engine/TG-16, or Amiga minis (among others) got.

I got it for £20 though, so could've been worse.

Jazz on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I love being told that the only version of the games I've ever been able to get are abominations.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    klemming wrote: »
    I love being told that the only version of the games I've ever been able to get are abominations.

I was in the UK at the time and very used to PAL conversions. It was a game I imported (Japanese edition) due to being so stoked for it, so I played the NTSC version first. When I finally saw the PAL release it was shocking. Squashed image with massive black borders top and bottom, running a full 17% slower than it was supposed to, fundamentally changing how it played.

PAL conversions could be and often were done perfectly well. Tekken 3 remains possibly the worst one I've ever seen in my life. An utterly slipshod waste of what was a very good game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    PAL Sony classics play especially poorly because none of the new consoles (or the mini) will output 50hz. So it's judder city as these are interpolated to 60hz and the Euro experience is represented quite poorly.

Now Sonic 1's music at 50hz, that is an actual abomination, yes. Although I give props to the C64 remake team, they did a great job embellishing it for the slower 50hz tempo, so much so that playing it at 60hz sounds off even to my ears.

https://youtu.be/l4_CqD8o40s

• Options
    Apparently, Silent Hill Homecoming had a buggy pc port. This hacker made a patch for it. It seems safe. Kinda hesitant to try it.

• Options
    I am amazed how dinged up this 360 game case is. God knows what the person I bought it from did with it. I used some Goo Gone on it and cleaned it up.
    It was for Silent Hill: Downpour. He definitely did not put it on a shelf.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Good news Pocket owners! The "early 2022" 1.1 firmware update just might barely make it into first half! As a beta!

Analogue Pocket OS v1.1 [beta] is coming in July.

We've been hard at work pushing the envelope of what Pocket is capable of for FPGA development.

We appreciate everyone's patience.

This release will include beta versions of:
    • Library
    • Memories
    • FPGA Development

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Also if you wanted an overly long in-depth look at John nitpicking how classic Playstation games are running right now on PS Plus in Asia, DF has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHc9lzVvgCw&t=1135s

• Options
    edited May 2022
    "The textures wobble more now" is pretty mind-blowing

edit: the "Square Pixel Mode" not having square pixels is possibly more.

august on
  • Options
    Not surprised if someone was handed the description of these features, and interpreted it as "square or 1:1 aspect ratio". So you get a perfect square (3:3 instead of 4:3)

• Options
    Not surprised if someone was handed the description of these features, and interpreted it as "square or 1:1 aspect ratio". So you get a perfect square (3:3 instead of 4:3)

That might explain why it makes psp games square. psp games.

• Options
    It would have been cool if you could just stick a PS1/PS2/PS3 disc in a PS5 and it would play. I am pretty sure they can all be read by the drive.

I know you can pull an image off a PS1 and PS2 disc on a PC. It is not like the image is proprietary, like on an XBox.

• Options
    The PS5 does not have the proper laser to read standard CDs actually (neither did the PS4), so no PS1 and only some PS2 games.

• Options
    Weird. Yet it can read DVDs.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Best thing about the Sega CD: some of their games doubled as OSTs. I used to keep a spare copy of Lunar in my car because it had the entire soundtrack.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Best thing about the Sega CD: some of their games doubled as OSTs. I used to keep a spare copy of Lunar in my car because it had the entire soundtrack.

Ah, red book CD audio. I have the MechWarrior 2 (PC) soundtrack ripped in my car to this day.

The PS5 does not have the proper laser to read standard CDs actually (neither did the PS4), so no PS1 and only some PS2 games.

It's such a weird corner to cut. The Xbox One S & X, by comparison (and I presume Series X though I don't yet have one to try) will play the lot - CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K discs (the latter a corner the PS4 Pro cut as well that at least the PS5 made good on).

Jazz on
  • Options
    Worth remembering that the PS3 actually wanted to be a media station, and the XB1 even moreso at first.

• Options
    Yup. The PS3 in particular is still a pretty good media box. I found a good use for it on an old TV as one of the rare streaming and Blu-ray players that didn't require HDMI. Kind of a long story as to why, but there's not many devices can do that.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular