As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I would put the first Donkey Konga higher, but otherwise I agree pretty much.

In Ryckert related news, Bianca started writing for Polygon and her first article there is a love letter to the best Elder Scrolls game.

No way, she wrote about Redguard?

Oh

That was one fine, too, I guess

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I’d probably have swapped up f zero and down the Mario parties but other than that I’m good.

I always really like Sunshine and it’s probably my favorite game on that list. I never really understood the hate some people have for it.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Mr Bakalar consistenly showing off some real cool band t-shirts on The Very Online show. Also, I've really gotten into it! Some of the darkest episodes are actually perhaps some of the best.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Listening to Giant Bomb stuff while I grind out Planet Crafter. I finished one video on youtube, alt-tabbed to a different window to start another and all of a sudden I heard Vinny. I got excited until I realized that autoplay loaded up a Nextlander video on youtube. :(

It'd be cool if Giant Bomb managed to get some intermural Arcade Pit going on between all the big gaming websites.

Most desired team would be a Dan and Paul Ryckert team on Arcade Pit at some point. Mary Kish and Mike Mahardy would also be great.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Would love to see some Arcade Pit veterans show up, I've heard Dan and ProtonJon have been doing stuff together, and Jon has the most Arcade Pit wins ever

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

In Ryckert related news, Bianca started writing for Polygon and her first article there is a love letter to the best Elder Scrolls game.

I actually did a play through of Morrowind late last year after not having played it since the late naughties (maybe 2009?). It's still good, but I think peoples nostalgia boner for it is extremely strong. It's a rougghhhhh game in places and some of the quest sequences (like everything in Vivec City) are painful. It was great for it's time but it's one of those cases where when people say "They don't make 'em like that anymore" I generally respond "Yeah, for the better".

Her article kind of reinforces the point in my head that as good as Morrowind was for it's time it's remembered as way more than it was in actuality. Probably because it released during the formative years for a lot of gamers today.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I actually did a play through of Morrowind late last year after not having played it since the late naughties (maybe 2009?). It's still good, but I think peoples nostalgia boner for it is extremely strong. It's a rougghhhhh game in places and some of the quest sequences (like everything in Vivec City) are painful. It was great for it's time but it's one of those cases where when people say "They don't make 'em like that anymore" I generally respond "Yeah, for the better".

Her article kind of reinforces the point in my head that as good as Morrowind was for it's time it's remembered as way more than it was in actuality. Probably because it released during the formative years for a lot of gamers today.

To me at least morrowind’s biggest strength was the environment. So much more interesting than Skyrims. I’d love to see that game but with modern upgrades and reworks done.

edited May 2022
    If you haven't checked it out already, the Waypoint 101 stream on the 2002 Thing game was fantastic. The game sits in a position of having an incredible ambition that is only matched by the developers inability to implement that ambition, combined with some truly grade A bad voice acting. Couple that with some... choices that Patrick makes early on, and the entire stream was a hoot.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I just remember that the game has a bonkers ending that is canon because Carpenter consulted/worked on the game somehow. Also I remember that Spoony review where he talks about how the game tries to ratchet up the tension like in the movie, but the game is kinda busted and never actually can hit the levels it wants to.

Like there is a testing mechanic where you can test people for being The Thing, but the story is the story, so you can test somebody, have them test negative for being The Thing, and then a story trigger pops where the person you just tested is actually The Thing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I remember loving that game.

PSN: Honkalot

This might be my favorite Patrick bit.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Be sure to click through to the video review.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I think when most people remember Morrowind fondly it's because of the story and setting, which I do think are probably the best in the series. But also some of the things a lot of people think of as rough, that article lists as a positive, just as a stylistic difference. I do think it has some rough edges mechanically, I'm thinking of playing through it again and I'd definitely add some mods to improve the leveling and all that.

sig.gif
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The story and setting were really great, much more than the more generic fantasy setting of Skyrim. But that's also comparing the past to 'current'.

That is, Skyrim would have looked much more original if it came out 20 years ago.

#BRINGBACKTHEPAULDRON

MichaelLC on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Also the drunken mudcrab merchant.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022
    Quality new best of!

https://youtu.be/La4xYm6NHiY

And good to see this has made it to being an official piece of merch.

https://www.bonfire.com/fire-escape-cast-1/

Rehab on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Here's a tweet of Danny and Drew hanging out:

I can't believe this is how we found out Drew cut his hair.

steam_sig.png

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What's strange is they are just using one of Drew's shirts as a picnic blanket.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited May 2022
    I can't believe this is how we found out Drew cut his hair.

Must have gone to NoClip's competition first.

MichaelLC on
    Well you can't get a haircut from NoClips, they don't have any clippers!

edited May 2022

lol, my email got on the twitter post for the bombcast this week.

I have seen Mr Caffeine more times than any person should.

ManetherenWolf on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ooh GameStop manager stories. I didn't know that was going to be a thing, I still have stories.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I remember when Mr Caffeine did the Ubisoft presser, people found his website/hosting reel. That's definitely his style whether he's pushing Assassins Creed or some As seen On TV type products.

steam_sig.png

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Nextlander did a stream that was just "let's watch the weird and awful and hilarious VHS shit that Alex collects" and it's a good time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mgv9i4KEM

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Nextlander did a stream that was just "let's watch the weird and awful and hilarious VHS shit that Alex collects" and it's a good time

Good god that divorce video is....something. Wow.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

Oh my god. I've been trying to figure out where that "molotov cocktail" clip, that Jeff Gerstmann used to spam, came from. Turns out it's from an episode of Kids Against Crime.

I'm so happy Alex showed this. I will no longer haunt this Earth when I die.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Good god that divorce video is....something. Wow.

Man, I haven't watched any Nextlander stuff since they started, I forgot how likeable they are to watch.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Oh my god. I've been trying to figure out where that "molotov cocktail" clip, that Jeff Gerstmann used to spam, came from. Turns out it's from an episode of Kids Against Crime.

I'm so happy Alex showed this. I will no longer haunt this Earth when I die.

Slight correction - it's from the episode of Kids Against Crime.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh dang it’s Nextlanders anniversary, I had forgotten how weird their startup was with saying your are taking a break then coming back opposite Giant Bombs E3 stuff

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oooh, Vinny playing FFXIV, gonna watch that for sure.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I need to go back and watch more of it myself but here's one really good moment

https://www.twitch.tv/nextlander/clip/FurryArtsyCurryCoolStoryBro-BAQMZ9YVTwt3NC4t

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »
    I need to go back and watch more of it myself but here's one really good moment

https://www.twitch.tv/nextlander/clip/FurryArtsyCurryCoolStoryBro-BAQMZ9YVTwt3NC4t

That and the person who showed up named whatever that guy's name was from the VHS who was an abolitionist that he was thinking of naming himself.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Vinny is playing again today with his Character Big Zaddy on FFXIV for those interested. Was some good watching yesterday.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1313105311?t=3h31m1s

Genji-Gloves on
    Seems like part of the new Nextlander anniversary update is that their Ramblecast is now at the 5 dollar tier but a week later. That seems like something people have been asking for for a while now, generally finding 120 dollars a year to be too much for an extra podcast.

steam_sig.png

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I always found it kind of silly that the ramblecast wasn’t available at the lower tier.

can you feel the struggle within?