As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Discworld] Who Watches The Watchmen In The Watch?

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    No comment on the color of Maurice, but he's probably too clean and un-mangled. He was a back-alley cat, right?

42qim1qnsjlz.jpeg

The accepted illustrative version, though I’d accept:

bt8cmpbyvaax.jpeg

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Heffling wrote: »
    Last year I reread all of the collected works of Terry Pratchett on my Kindle, which necessitated re-buying all of the books. Since I no longer need hard copies, and I do have a need for shelf space, would anyone like them? It's paperbacks until Thud! or so, when I was buying hardbacks as they were released.

If nobody wants them, then I will donate to my local library.

I read a lot on my Kindle, but the haptics of an actual book can not be beat IMHO. Keep them. My Paperbacks are tattered but now and then I dig them out, it is like a warm memory...

And yeah I got hardbacks from um.. The fifth Continent and up.

Now and then you just need to cuddle in the bed with a good book, and TP is my go to for that.

Drunken Bastard on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Going Postal miniseries was pretty good. Hogfather kind of drags, but has it's moments.

Hogfather is totally about belief and faith. It is one of the best stories in the series.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    One thing I noticed is Terry liked to do things with fonts and formatting in a few books, and the kindle versions don't reproduce that nearly as well, if at all.
    AgnesPerdita 'projecting' her voice around the page, or switching to another font when having someone speak Golem, Klatchian or Umnian. Or the two font styles in Reaper Man (I don't remember if the NOYES was different at all, but it definitely didn't have the same impact as in print).
    edit: my memory's not what it should be.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    That is a problem when they repackage things. They lose the original intent.
    gog games lose some of the extras that came with old games. eXoDOS Lite has allot of that stuff.

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is Terry liked to do things with fonts and formatting in a few books, and the kindle versions don't reproduce that nearly as well, if at all.
    AgnesPerdita 'projecting' her voice around the page, or switching to another font when having someone speak Golem, Klatchian or Umnian. Or the two font styles in Reaper Man (I don't remember if the NO was different at all, but it definitely didn't have the same impact as in print).

Did they mess up
    The page filling NO by Azrael? Cause I still remember that page... 20 years or so after I read it?

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    AgnesPerdita 'projecting' her voice around the page, or switching to another font when having someone speak Golem, Klatchian or Umnian. Or the two font styles in Reaper Man (I don't remember if the NO was different at all, but it definitely didn't have the same impact as in print).

Did they mess up
    The page filling NO by Azrael? Cause I still remember that page... 20 years or so after I read it?

How well do you remember it?
    Because the line is "YES."
    https://youtu.be/Co6PBWTIZ78&t=08s

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    You guys' misrememberings are probably the ultimate answer to 'Most drastic change to a book by switching a single word."

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    You guys' misrememberings are probably the ultimate answer to 'Most drastic change to a book by switching a single word."

I dunno, "There's Godot" is up there

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Oh good I was looking for a way to fill the time between finishing Bayonetta 3 yesterday and Pokémon S/V dropping on Friday. (Well, other than having Desert Bus on in the background.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I will accept no other cat based spin-off than ones based on Grizzo

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The Adventures of Greebo and You

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'm approaching the end of my start-to-finish Discworld read, currently goingthrough I Shall Wear Midnight and well and truly into books I'd never read before by picking up odd ones here and there. I just don't want it to end.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    All I have left is Shepherds Crown and I don't know when I will pick it up.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It's on my shelf, unread

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm listening to Snuff

I'm at the part where it's not funny at all. You know, the bit where you want to smash things.

I got some of the Discworld cartoons. Wyrd Sisters is pretty good.
    I will have to see how many cartoons they made.

Just Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, but Soul Music was enjoyable too

Very fun imagery of The Band With Rocks In

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I liked them both. Very novel to see those characters talk and move. Not all of them were my favorite incarnations, but still fun to watch.

I loved the music they did in Soul Music, especially Buddy's final(?) harp performance. And the 'we're more popular than cheeses' bit they added.

H9f4bVe.png
    Just Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, but Soul Music was enjoyable too

Very fun imagery of The Band With Rocks In

The dvd set I bought was originally from a library so I had to remove all the stickers. Now, I got Goo Gone to handle that. That stuff actually evaporates too. I got it on a paper cover once and thought it was ruined, but the stain disappeared.

Golden Yak wrote: »
    I liked them both. Very novel to see those characters talk and move. Not all of them were my favorite incarnations, but still fun to watch.

I loved the music they did in Soul Music, especially Buddy's final(?) harp performance. And the 'we're more popular than cheeses' bit they added.

I own them both in a set, but weirdly one of them (I forget which, I think SM) doesn't auto-play the episodes for whatever reason.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    And the 'we're more popular than cheeses' bit they added.
    I think Sir Terry went on record as being very upset that they thought of that joke and he didn't.

The Amazing Maurice is now available wherever you get your Sky Cinema stuff

Overall, I liked it - they combined some characters, and contracted the story, but it was fun

The Amazing Maurice is now available wherever you get your Sky Cinema stuff

According to the official site it should hit US Theaters on February 3!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

"A Life With Footnotes" wins Best Biography from The Times (UK) Audiobooks of the Year.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Once a week I go to read for my nephews (11 and 8). They can read; I just like reading to them and they like being read to.

I read them the graphics novel versions of Guards, Guards! and they asked me if there were any more comics like that. And I said yes, but not as good. But then we read the graphic novel version of The Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic anyway.

So now when I ask them what is best in life – which I do every time I visit – they know to answer "good dentistry, hot bath water, and soft lavatory paper".

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Took the family to the opening night show of The Amazing Maurice. It was fine, but I think there's a much better version of the film that spends about 10 more minutes up front establishing the characters and making us care about them.

Plus (I'm sure for understandable commercial reasons) the film takes a fairly dark and philosophical book that's more for young adults and turns it into something much closer to a family cartoon with a cackling Disney villain. Some of the truly memorable bits of the book get excised entirely to lighten the tone, e.g.,
    the moment where DarkTan considers burning down the dog-fighting barn, and the scene in the basement where they encounter the cages of crazed rats.

Hedgethorn on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So I'd been doing a front-to-back read of all the Discworld books, some here and there I'd read before at random times but I'd say a bit over half were new to me.

I finished Raising Steam around Christmas, then we had a few sad things happen and I had to put starting Shepherd's Crown aside for a bit because I just wasn't emotionally prepared to say goodbye, so read a couple of other books for the first time since starting this re/read.

Finished it last night, and while I can't say it was his best work, as a send-off it was nearly perfect. Shed a few tears reading the afterword and thanks as well.

GNU Sir Terry

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    edited February 2023
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Took the family to the opening night show of The Amazing Maurice. It was fine, but I think there's a much better version of the film that spends about 10 more minutes up front establishing the characters and making us care about them.

Plus (I'm sure for understandable commercial reasons) the film takes a fairly dark and philosophical book that's more for young adults and turns it into something much closer to a family cartoon with a cackling Disney villain. Some of the truly memorable bits of the book get excised entirely to lighten the tone, e.g.,
    the moment where DarkTan considers burning down the dog-fighting barn, and the scene in the basement where they encounter the cages of crazed rats.

Just got back myself*. Agreed on both points but I don't think the film was really hurt by the omissions. I do question the changes that were made to the "real" Piper, mostly because it felt out of left field especially when everything else was so mostly-true to the book. But seeing the name "Terry Pratchett" up there on a big screen product that I'm sure he would have appreciated was worth the adaptational liberties.

My only serious problem with the movie was David Tennant as Dangerous Beans. He's great of course and his performance wasn't the issue but he was 100% using his Scrooge McDuck voice and it kept pulling me out, especially since I had just watched a couple of DuckTales episodes earlier today.

*Our 4.5yo's first actual trip to the movies! She did fine; got a bit squirrely about an hour in but otherwise stayed in her seat and was focused on the screen more often than not.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Pratchett short stories to be published after being found by fans
    A collection of 20 recently rediscovered short stories by late fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett is to be published later this year.

Sir Terry wrote the stories for a regional newspaper under the pseudonym Patrick Kearns in the 1970s and '80s.

They had not previously been attributed to him, but have now been collected after a search by "a few dedicated fans", publishers Penguin said.

The stories will be published on 5 October under the title A Stroke of the Pen: The Lost Stories.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I doubt Practchett would have wanted them to be sold for profit.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So something escaped the steamroller.

H9f4bVe.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    They were published in newspapers in the 70's so it'd be kind of hard to crush them into oblivion.

The steamroller was for unfinished stuff, this is just old.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

I trust Rhianna Pratchett on this one. She could just start writing more Discworld books if she wanted to make a buck, and Terry Pratchett gave his blessing to do so. This feels pretty much like the continued sales of any of his books. These just happen to be more rare.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »

I trust Rhianna Pratchett on this one. She could just start writing more Discworld books if she wanted to make a buck, and Terry Pratchett gave his blessing to do so. This feels pretty much like the continued sales of any of his books. These just happen to be more rare.

Literally just came here to point out that Rhianna has been extremely faithful to Terry's wishes and I trust her on this.

It is possible the publication rights where not in the estate's control though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    She is also promoting the book so that is a promising sign. No guarantees, but all evidence is pointing to it being a good thing.

The internet is fake. It is full of bots.
    https://youtu.be/mlR9fCXfWyM

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The internet is fake. It is full of bots.
    https://youtu.be/mlR9fCXfWyM

Computers aren't real, they're just a series of tubes filed with ants

DanHibiki on