As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav will Message the warrior who spoke.

"Warrior, your men are all on a weakened portion of the bridge - the east end is cracked and you are all at risk. We on the boat wish you no ill. Why do you fight the knights? Why do you not aid the giantess?"

Bonus: steer the ship past the tree. Do we fit between it and the rock, or do we need to push further west? I aim for the sane path

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina is not prepped for ranged combat, since she's got all those poison related spells... She spends the next few seconds stowing the Eventide and pulling out her crossbow. She'll also be able to help navigate the boat a bit however it's needed to avoid the tree

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    How tall is the rock? I could reach it with a horizontal jump, but wonder how much vertical movement I'd need to get safely on top.

Gruush could offer to give Solomon a boost up with a Help action, maybe even launch him up there with enough force to land on the knight's head!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Busy again gang, but the rock is 5 feet out of the water at the bottom, then steps up 5 feet at a time. It’s 15 feet high at the top. Difficult terrain.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Busy again gang, but the rock is 5 feet out of the water at the bottom, then steps up 5 feet at a time. It’s 15 feet high at the top. Difficult terrain.

No problem. I'll just use what movement I have and get as far as I can on the rock.

Solomon leaps from the boat and lands on the rock, pulling himself up as far as he can. He slams his shield into the ground and braces himself for attack. "We've no wish for further violence. Stay your hands and this can still be resolved peascefully."

Get as far as I can on the rock, action to use my new shield (in case the knight tries to knock me off or I get a ballista to the face).

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Arthur

The knight shields himself with a wing! You here that lovely hiss as the acid lands, but he’s much less deterred that most foes. He appears full of vigour!

Alzav

“Magic, damn it.”, you hear the warrior think, “Nevertheless, you have our thanks. Not much time to talk; know the knights villains, know that all giants seek nothing short of the end of this age.”

They sound utterly convinced.

Out loud, he turns to the others, “We move, the bridge is weak. Notch your arrows, seems the giant won’t fair as well as I’d hoped.”

Solomon

“It is not so simple.” states the knight, “I am but a hand of my lady. You have harmed what is her’s by birthright, yet you go unharmed in return. Step forth and offer out your arm. I will mark it deep with my blade, and we will have an accord. Choose not, and you have made an enemy of my lady.”

He is being honest.

xz3ljtmwyyoh.png

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    oh boy, Simon wanted to defend the giant before and now we finds out they want to bring an end to this age? That's great! Giants are my best friends now

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think everyone has had a go that wants to.

Adventurers

You continue to steer the boat westward, but you’ll need to pull off a tight turn around the tree!

Anyone, do a convincing narration to make a tight turn and roll whatever skill is most appropriate. 10 DC.

Knights

The one on the rock is prepared to await Solomon’s response.

Across on the east bank, the rest continue to attack the fallen giant. She thrashes in the water, but the knights are undeterred. One rushes up her leg, leaps into the air and breaths fire over her. Steam billows out across the river.

Giant

Realising her sword is useless in the water, she drops it and reaches for a knight. After two attempts she grabs one and squeezes him tight. Seconds afterwards a sword pierces through her hand, but she does not let go!

Warriors

“To Hell with you!” one cries.

“Aim for their backs! Avoid their flames!” another shouts.

They loose arrows from short bows. showering the knights! Many plink off, but a few lodge between plate pieces.

7z4ldf66if0i.jpeg

To save on rolls I’m just going to have the attacks in this post just do 20% of the target’s HP. I’ll be back to doing things properly tomorrow, very busy.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    "Yes, it would appear they are" Simon finally responded to Arthur as his hesitation turned to resolve. The knights needed to be stopped. Everything else would follow from that. He began to follow Solomon over the water and onto the rock. "I think the time for a peaceable solution has passed, Solomon. We must act now or be villains in our inaction. Although I fear we are too late to save the giant now."

Simon jumps across the water and attempts to stand "beside" him in relation to the shield. I might have more but I need to know if I can jump successfully with the ball and chain. If not I leave it behind in the boat and pull Mordwyn with my bonus action.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    "Yes, it would appear they are" Simon finally responded to Arthur as his hesitation turned to resolve. The knights needed to be stopped. Everything else would follow from that. He began to follow Solomon over the water and onto the rock. "I think the time for a peaceable solution has passed, Solomon. We must act now or be villains in our inaction. Although I fear we are too late to save the giant now."

Simon jumps across the water and attempts to stand "beside" him in relation to the shield. I might have more but I need to know if I can jump successfully with the ball and chain. If not I leave it behind in the boat and pull Mordwyn with my bonus action.

Hmmm! Standing leap of 25 feet on a boat moving away?

Athletics or Acrobatics that for me please.

Keep your weapon.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    geth roll 1d20+5 to not look like a fool!

Oh huh it worked!

to not look like a fool!:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Simon

You run to one side of the boat, then run up it as it tilts, landing on top of the tree. You balance across a branch and leap across onto the rock.

It’s sick.

• Options
    Cool so I think I still get an action so I'd like to ready an action to casting booming blade if the situation with Knight 4 turns hostile or if that's too vague Simon acts if Solomon signals him. He's decided this situation has turned hot but won't engage with the situation between Solomon and the Knight unless invited.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Since Kirina has a crossbow and Gruush is the only one without ranged options at the moment, seems like it should fall to him to make an attempt at guiding the Ship...

Evil-Eyed Gruush helped the group pull the boat further west, focusing all of his pent-up anger into the work. As he quietly (gleefully) watches the others engage the Knights in defense of the Giant, the Rogue suddenly looks to find the boat drifting, ever so subtle, into the clutches of an older, gnarled oak tree. Seeing his friends otherwise occupied, he strokes his beard with concentrated focus as he once more considers the ropes upon the watercraft. Finally leaps forward, in an attempt to steer the Ship through the ropes and rigging...

Edit- Dirty, but I'll take it!

Geth roll 1d20+2 Dexterity (Gruush)

Dexterity (Gruush):
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Gruush

You have invented what will become known as the Gruush Drift.

• Options
    dsm6ssnfuamg.jpeg

• Options
    (busy, so quick post)

Kirina levels her crossbow at the knight in the rock, and fires!

Geth roll 1d8-1 for crossbow damage

crossbow damage:
    1d8-1 7 [1d8=8]

Steam profile
  • Options
    I’m off to bed. Let’s pretend Kirina’s attack doesn’t land until after Solomon decides what they wanna do.

• Options
    "When offered peace you still seek to spill blood. I could offer you any of my limbs and it would not save that giant from your violence. If that is the law of your Lady, then I defy it." Solomon pulls his shield from the rock in a swift movement, lunges forward and feints around the side of the knight. His longsword flashes out and strikes the knight from their flank.

Bonus action to pull shield up, move to the space NE of the knight and then attack. I will try and get to the giant next turn and hopefully save it / calm it down.

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Longsword

Longsword:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    It seems like the boat is leaving folks behind!

• Options
    It seems like the boat is leaving folks behind!

Yes..... oops? We probably should land it.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Gruush has rope!

• Options
    All right let's get into it then.

Geth roll 1d8+3 to hurt the knight

I realized I can't use booming blade if I'm ten feet away but I can still smack him with a reach improved blundgeon!

I've decided I'm going to do something drastic next turn and I'm just going to mention it now so that whatever I need to roll can be known. Assuming that the giant isn't about to die when it gets hit this turn I have decided I'm going to focus my efforts on trying to save it. To do that I'm going to have to get a lot closer. If possible I want to jump from the rock, hook my chain on any part of the bridge I can manage, and swing tarzan-style to hurl myself between the giant and the knights. I realize this is a longshot but I don't see the giant surviving otherwise so I'm going for it. If I have to leave my chain hooked to the bridge I'm fine with that. I'm fine with any cost really.

to hurt the knight:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Great Weapon Fighting reroll

geth roll 1d8+3 and do it right this time

and do it right this time:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Gruush

You’ve got a knack for this boat business.

Add proficiency with water vehicles to your character sheet.

Solomon, Simon and Kirina

His offer denied, you strike as one. A bolt pierces through the thin gap in his helm, taking his right eye at the exact moment the two brothers in arms swing for opposite sides of his chest, crushing his armour into his ribs. He’s dead!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Alzav can do two turns in a row as I don’t believe they’ve had a go, but just to keep things moving…

Knights

Two of the knights continue their assault on the giant. The third takes flight, bloody wings bursting from his back! He lands on the bridge, and barks orders to the other two.

“Strike true brothers!”, his voice so loud it echoes down the river, “Fell the beast!”

The giant is gravely wounded.

Giant

She manages to stand, tons of water cascading from her body. Panting like a hound beneath her chainmail, she throws her weight down on the knight slicing her legs to ribbons (#2). A People’s Elbow!

Warriors

Fully committed to killing the knights, two warriors quickly grab the unattended ballista and aim it for a knight! (#1). The spear is launched through the knight’s shoulder blades! He stumbles deep into the river!

The others fire arrows at the bewinged knight on the bridge. Decent shots, but they’re not true marksmen.

Slime?!

A yellow, oily slime had been floating towards you for some time.

As you pass under the shadow of the bridge it slithers onto your boat! Arthur! You are doused in a burning liquid! You suffer 6 damage! Make a Constitution saving throw!

Empowered Cut:
    2d8+3 8 [2d8=2, 3]
    Empowered Cut:
    1d6+7 9 [1d6=2]
    Empowered Cut:
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]
    Punch:
    2d6+4 7 [2d6=2, 1]
    Big Shoot:
    3d8 20 [3d8=6, 6, 8]
    Three Shots:
    3d6 12 [3d6=1, 6, 5]
    Slimed:
    2d6 6 [2d6=4, 2]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Simon

You’re feeling pretty heroic.

Make your play with a suitable roll, but it’s a difficult thing you’re trying to do.

g3mfq52dtk3i.png

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    geth roll 1d20+5 to make an athletic attempt

to make an athletic attempt:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for CON save

CON save:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for CON save

Mannn, you're fine make me use a level two spell now aren't you? I assume you're poisoned lol

In other news, as long as they don't outright kill the giant I could maybe Healing Word her after she gets KO'd. The issue is that they are outputting so much damage I'm not sure a hell right now would matter

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Evil-Eyed Gruush puts an eye to the ship's mast. Stooping down to thoroughly rub both his hands into the thin layer of sand at the bottom of the boat, he slaps them together, creating a small, momentary cloud of dust. "Be right back," he announces to no one in particular, and scurries like a squirrel up the wooden pole. As he reaches the top, he stretches out his fingers and grabs the overhead bridge, and quickly (dangling for a few seconds over the water as he goes) pulls himself atop the overpass. ..

As the Rogue comes to his feet high above the water, he looks over menacingly at the nearby Knight from beneath his Mask, and slowly begins to draw daggers from his hip holsters. "Oy...sunshine!" Gruush calls out cheekily. "Yer' a tough guy when its you and a bunch o' yer buddies teaming up on some poor, frightened thing, eh?"

Gruush's voice drops to a sinister, deadly tone and he points the knife in his right hand at the man's helmet. "Howzabout ya' come try it on someone yer own size if ye' got the stones, you chicken-shit bastard!"

Gruush will climb the mast, pull himself up onto the bridge, and Ready an action to attack this Knight when he (hopefully) takes the bait and attacks

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Solomon leaps from the rock into the river below, the water splashing up as he makes contact with the surface. He stands up tall, his eyes glowing with radiant light and he turns his gaze to the knight on the other side of the giant. Solomon's voice booms through the area as he issues a command, a single word brimming with divine power. "Kneel."

Move as far as I can towards the knights. Action to cast Command on the knight furthest away, the one on the right side of the giant. They need to make a Wis save (DC 12) or spend their next turn following the command. 2/3 spell slots remain.

• Options
    OK, OK, the boat is still going, and our person with a rope just left....

Are we past the bridge? If so gonna try to land the boat...

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kime wrote: »
    OK, OK, the boat is still going, and our person with a rope just left....

Are we past the bridge? If so gonna try to land the boat...

You’re under the bridge. Edit: You’ll still be under it by the end of this round. Use a bonus action to move it 5 feet, north is all that’s available.

rudpmn9peuw7.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Simon

You leap towards the bridge and attempt to hook… something… with your ball and chain. You land sideways into the river next to a knight. Water rushes up your nose! You’re prone. Your next attack will be made without modifiers to your weapon’s damage.

Arthur

You are poisoned! Your veins bulge sickeningly, your eyes become bloodshot!

You suffer 1 damage. You’ll take damage every round until cured.

Solomon

The river pulls you 10 feet north of where you wished to end up.

Nevertheless, your divine power rings out, forcing the knight to his knees… well below the water. He begins to drown!

Gruush

You do just as you say.

Poison:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    Knight Save:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    7mdmgjndb5d7.jpeg

• Options
    If I wanted to attack with the axe, how do you want me to handle that? Not proficient which normally means bad for dice rolling to hit, but since we don't do that, want me to do something else?

• Options
    If I wanted to attack with the axe, how do you want me to handle that? Not proficient which normally means bad for dice rolling to hit, but since we don't do that, want me to do something else?

Disadvantage the damage? Yeah, that’ll work.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Arthur grimaces as the slime appears and then covers him in a burning fluid. He immediately feels wrong, but in the moment he only reacts. Having gotten so used to having the axe attached, he swings it down on the slime almost subconsciously, as if involuntarily reacting in surprise.

I keep saying it's in one hand plus I did just cast a spell so I don't see any way this is two handed.

Let's see if I can get this dice roll right.

Geth, roll 2d8l1 for Axe

Axe:
    2d8l1 2 [2d8l1=[2], 6]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Kirina heads to the back of the boat to try and get a view of the Knights by the giant. She shoots a crossbow bolt at the closest one.

Geth roll 1d8-1 for crossbow damage
    Geth roll 2d8l1 for showing Arthur how to do disadvantage

Edit: ah you figured it out already :D

crossbow damage:
    1d8-1 1 [1d8=2]
    showing Arthur how to do disadvantage:
    2d8l1 1 [2d8l1=[1], 4]

kime on
    Steam profile