As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I've never used their true wireless products, but I have used Anker standard bluetooth buds and I think the are a great value. They are comfortable, durable, sound fine, have enough volume to overcome the lawn mower, and they were cheap enough that I bought two sets.

I have several Anker family products all of which I have been very satisfied with.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Thank you! I've ordered them so we'll see how they do. Hoping they'll make train journeys less dull.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    audio update: I actually managed to get the Fiio K3 for stupid cheap, just 30 bucks (finally AMEX points are good for something)

now I hooked up the Meze Classics into this little guy and I'm having a blast

next up when I get the funds and a way to get it over here without the insane shipping costs, something from Schitt Audio

my next newbie question, looking at their site: they only list amps with DACs as part of their "gaming" product line. Do the more specialized AMPs they have also come with DACs or are they completely different products at that level?

The Fulla and Hel are pretty good, although the Hel is marketed hard as a gaming product. If you don't need the mic input, then just get the Fulla. I had one and liked it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    audio update: I actually managed to get the Fiio K3 for stupid cheap, just 30 bucks (finally AMEX points are good for something)

next up when I get the funds and a way to get it over here without the insane shipping costs, something from Schitt Audio

my next newbie question, looking at their site: they only list amps with DACs as part of their "gaming" product line. Do the more specialized AMPs they have also come with DACs or are they completely different products at that level?

The Fulla and Hel are pretty good, although the Hel is marketed hard as a gaming product. If you don't need the mic input, then just get the Fulla. I had one and liked it.

fulla has a mic input too?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm currently rocking Aeon RT Closed has my daily drivers but I want a nice pair of open back's that are a worth while upgrade over the HD6xx.

I've got a budget of about $1500 USD. I'd like to keep it at $1000 but there are a bunch around that line.

Currently looking at the:

Audeze LCD-X
    Focal Elex (I was looking at clear but most reviews say they are near identical)

Anything else I should be considering? Anyone have personal experience with either of these two?

I pair Focal Elears with Elex pads (basically making them Elex's) with Aeon Closed and I'm extremely happy with the two of them. The Aeons are wonderfully neutral and balanced whereas the Elears are punchy and fun.

However, I recently bought the Ifi Zen Dac v2 and Zen Amp and with the bass boost the Aeons are completely transformed. They now have the deep bass and fun punchiness of the Elears but without the sometimes peaky treble (they're basically perfect). Conversely, the Elears and the Zen stack does nothing for me but they sound fantastic with my Gustard A20H. It interesting how different two amp/dacs can sound and how one suits one pair of headphones far better than another.

I think what I'm getting at is if you want a sound profile similar to the Aeon RT's the Focals are a good option. If you want something different for variety I'd look elsewhere.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Akilae wrote: »

fulla has a mic input too?

So it does now! In that case it's largely a wash, just depending on whether more power is needed for harder to drive headphones.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm currently rocking Aeon RT Closed has my daily drivers but I want a nice pair of open back's that are a worth while upgrade over the HD6xx.

I've got a budget of about $1500 USD. I'd like to keep it at $1000 but there are a bunch around that line.

Currently looking at the:

Audeze LCD-X
    Focal Elex (I was looking at clear but most reviews say they are near identical)

Anything else I should be considering? Anyone have personal experience with either of these two?

I pair Focal Elears with Elex pads (basically making them Elex's) with Aeon Closed and I'm extremely happy with the two of them. The Aeons are wonderfully neutral and balanced whereas the Elears are punchy and fun.

However, I recently bought the Ifi Zen Dac v2 and Zen Amp and with the bass boost the Aeons are completely transformed. They now have the deep bass and fun punchiness of the Elears but without the sometimes peaky treble (they're basically perfect). Conversely, the Elears and the Zen stack does nothing for me but they sound fantastic with my Gustard A20H. It interesting how different two amp/dacs can sound and how one suits one pair of headphones far better than another.

I think what I'm getting at is if you want a sound profile similar to the Aeon RT's the Focals are a good option. If you want something different for variety I'd look elsewhere.

I'll look into that bass boost your amp offers. I run a 789 amp and Topping E30, and I wonder if I could do something similar with just EQ.

I'm prob going to grab an LCD headset, either the X or 2. Just want to see if I can find a place to test them out.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Welp. The larger set of pads for my Meze 99 Noir just sort of disintegrated, hazard of being a sweaty guy and wearing headphones 16+ hours a day I guess.

Ordered replacements and went ahead and ordered a pair of Brainwavz velour pads to test and see how they feel/sound.

As an aside, holy shit, I hate putting headphone pads on so much. I was losing my mind by the time I got the smaller set (which is too small for my ears but better than the wreckage of the others for a few days) on.

Kamar on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    As an aside, holy shit, I hate putting headphone pads on so much. I was losing my mind by the time I got the smaller set (which is too small for my ears but better than the wreckage of the others for a few days) on.

I picked up a pair of airpod max's a while ago and the pads clip on magnetically and it's an absolute revelation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4-yrB1b5Y

skip to :58 in this to see what i mean

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck me. My inlaws are giving us their record collection. Mostly Rock from the 70s and 80s. All in excellent condition. My understanding is about 100 albums worth of stuff. So now I gotta get gear to listen to it. I'm thinking of getting the Orbit Plus Turntable w/o pre-amp, then a Schiit Mani Pre-amp into my existing Headphone amp. Thoughts, recommendations?

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well you're also gonna need some decor and accessories

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Well you're also gonna need some decor and accessories

Oh yea, gotta live that audiophile lifestyle. Maybe some $500 rubber pucks to put the turntable on to dampen vibrations.

I recall Project one of the best for entry level (sub-$500) turntables. That was years ago so I imagine with the popularity of vinyl over the last few years a lot of other companies have come out with good stuff.

Showed the Orbit turntable to the wife and she's onboard, so pulled the trigger on it and the Mani pre-amp from Schiit.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Orbit makes a great little entry-level turntable. Killer for the price, and it looks good. The Schiit (like most of their stuff) is also super well regarded for their price. I think you've got a solid plan.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Orbit makes a great little entry-level turntable. Killer for the price, and it looks good. The Schiit (like most of their stuff) is also super well regarded for their price. I think you've got a solid plan.

Yea I love my Schiit stack. I'm definitely sticking with the brand for the foreseeable future if I really dig the whole records thing and look for a speaker amp.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yea I love my Schiit stack. I'm definitely sticking with the brand for the foreseeable future if I really dig the whole records thing and look for a speaker amp.

If you want to complete the experience I highly reccomend this tube amplifier from Monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27222

It sounds great, has Bluetooth, phono, and Line in s you could use it as your main source of audio. You can also upgrade the tubes.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited May 2022
    I've quite liked watching the videos from Cheapaudioman on Youtube. While my headphones preferences and associated components skew very high end I also appreciate how good a lot of the 'cheap' stuff is.

I found that channel when trying to figure out if I wanted to get a soundbar with a wireless sub or use one of the multiple pairs of Paradigm speakers I have and no longer use plus a $200'ish amp with my Gustard headphone Amp/DAC acting as a preamp. I went with neither as I use headphones 90% of the time when watching TV and for the 10% of the time I do listen without headphones the built in speakers are good enough.

Cormac on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    These Brainwavz velour pads are so much more comfortable than the pleather ones that the Meze 99 Noir comes with that I probably wouldn't care even if they did mess with the sound. Also much less likely to give me skin problems around my ears. I know some people find velour makes their ears get hot, but I've never really noticed that. Not nearly so much as like, all the many downsides of pleather.

According to someone else's testing, they end up with little less bass, but they started with so much bass that they're still bass heavier than most decent headphones.

Ok yea this is pretty cool.

i3jct11g6tt1.jpeg

Double Posting because damn Rumors is a great album, and really plays to my Grado's strengths.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    There's a reason its in like every essential LP list I've ever come across.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »
    There's a reason its in like every essential LP list I've ever come across.

Interesting. Im wondering if that is why U-turn had it for sale along with a few other albums that you could bundle with the turn table.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It’s also my counter example when people give Taylor Swift shit about recording songs about her exes.

“At least she didn’t make her ex play on an entire album about what a fucking shit head he was!”

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    My Schitt Fulla's microphone input died. Again. I just got it back a few weeks ago from an RMA that replaced the entire mainboard in it.

God damn it Schitt. I don't know if I even want to go through this again.

Rumours is one of the few very few albums that completely live up to the hype

MegaMan001 wrote: »

Picked up Back in Black and for that kind of music, its a record full of awesome.

Picked up Back in Black and for that kind of music, its a record full of awesome.

like headphones, good music stays good

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I'm considering investing in a big, likely pre-owned, amp to replace my current more normal amp, only I wonder if there is something I need to consider so any experience on living with a big amp (heat, power bill...)?
    <SNIP>

So a little while back I posted this and got good feedback from @Butters, which mentioned I should consider surge protection, and @Cormac which said heat could be a issue. Since I live in Denmark and our grid is very well maintained I have decided to ignore the thing about surge protection, but the heat thing did make look away from gear running solely in Class A as it seemed I would also need to get AC in that case.

I have however bought a used 2x300 W ML 532.H, so I though I would report back and I can confirm that heat is a thing although not crazy. In stand by it uses 3 watts of power, while on that goes up 85 watt and then depending on the volume used it can reach something like 475 watt. Just going by touch the cooling fins get hot when playing music and when really playing they get hot enough that you cannot keep your hand on them for more than a moment.

Now there is amps out there with active cooling, as in they have a fan that moves air over the cooling fins however my ML is not that extreme and instead just gets by with a big case with lots of fins.

Most important - the ML has been a great improvement to my set up. Everything is clearer, more controlled and it is almost like I had dirty windows that has now been cleaned. Love it.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
    edited May 2022
    Watching some Klipsch r51M speakers on Ebay, hoping to snag them for less than 200 (with shipping). Going to power them with a AIYIMA T9.

webguy20 on
    Since we are posting rumors :)

0uqy8v9ybanc.png

Also - any suggestions on a new cartridge as my current one has way to many hours on it?

I'm considering the Ortofon M2 series, but also the Audio-Technica OC-9 series and the later is based on a recommendation from a friend only the original OC-9 he knows is long out of production and there is now a whole OC-9 range.

Wooo won the Ebay auction for a pair of r51M Klipsch book shelf speakers. Only $158 with free shipping. Can't wait to rock out to them in a couple weeks.

Wooo won the Ebay auction for a pair of r51M Klipsch book shelf speakers. Only $158 with free shipping. Can't wait to rock out to them in a couple weeks.

Nice.

What's the plan, put them on a book shelf or on stands?

edited May 2022

Nice.

They'll end up on a buffet table along with the record player and other hardware. They might end up on stands if they interfere with the record player too much.

webguy20 on

Nice.

They'll end up on a buffet table along with the record player and other hardware. They might end up on stands if they interfere with the record player too much.

They make these little shock absorber feet for speakers as well to prevent vibration interference

Nice.

They make these little shock absorber feet for speakers as well to prevent vibration interference

I might try to find a super big mouse pad style table runner too, that will help dampen everything.

Nice.

I think it is unlikely that you'll be able to detect issues where the speakers interfere with the magic device that turns grooves into sound. Only unless your table is really long or you plan on sitting real close, then I should think you'd like the speakers placed further apart.

Couldn't wait for the Klipsch to show up, but got everything set up. I'm way overdriving those poor Logitech computer speakers.

mobw7korioy0.jpg
    98htqbdvzrue.jpg

edited May 2022
    Those poor logitechs are not up to that job

Also heavy metal is a great pull I'm.jealous

MegaMan001 on
    Those poor logitechs are not up to that job

Also heavy metal is a great pull I'm.jealous

As long as I keep it under like 1/3rd volume everything sounds pretty decent. Above that and it starts distorting.