As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our [house] in the middle of our house

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot that is so completely fucked up. I'm so sorry. She lost her nursing job cause she wouldn't take the COVID vaccine is the cherry on that asshole.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Looks like one of those horror houses where the house is alive and has eaten people.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So. Many. Textures.

Shitty fake HDR photography sure don't help though

It's amazing that shit HDR is still a thing, it was obvious and gross 10 years ago when I was in the industry.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I know it sucks not to be able to take a shower for a while during a bathroom renovation, but you know what else sucks?

When your vacuum is being replaced under warranty but the company is slow as shit and you have to go 3 weeks without a vacuum. And you have a dog. And wall-to-wall carpet. Man, it got grody in here. I just got the new vacuum in and immediately cleaned enough to empty the tank 3 times. Feels good to have clean floors again, though!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Went to the house yesterday to roll the trash can back, and the fucking tweaker dude was IN MY GARAGE when I pulled up, stripping some metal off a piece of junk.

I told him not to be in or around my shit. Tonight I'll be getting a padlock. Yeah, it's all trash, but as of Sunday it became MY trash.

I'm also super creeped out because I found a wadded up blanket upstairs and I can't recall if it was there before or not.

Can't wait until we get electricity because I would really like to get a security system installed ASAP.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Folks I get to take a shower tonight, it'll be janky and barebones but a shower it will be.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I know it sucks not to be able to take a shower for a while during a bathroom renovation, but you know what else sucks?

When your vacuum is being replaced under warranty but the company is slow as shit and you have to go 3 weeks without a vacuum. And you have a dog. And wall-to-wall carpet. Man, it got grody in here. I just got the new vacuum in and immediately cleaned enough to empty the tank 3 times. Feels good to have clean floors again, though!

3 weeks. HA. my old college roomie apartment would go a full year with no vacuuming!

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    When we moved out of an apartment one year, my college roommate's wall was stained green, the same color of his sheets, in a thick band where his bed was

Not once did he change those sheets

*shudder*

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Man, the house shopping process is basically self-parody territory at this point. We saw a house on the MLS that looked pretty okay. Checked most of our boxes but was a little above our ideal budget (listed at $510k). We asked our realtor about it to see if we could at least check it out. She got back to us and said that the owner had just accepted an offer on it of $625k.

Just... what the fuck, people?

minor incident on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I wish Anthony Bourdain was still alive for a lot of reasons, but one of them is because I wish he had a house hunting show where folks could look at three homes, fail to buy any of them, and then he'd take them out to get drunk and eat tacos.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Delzhand wrote: »
    In unrelated news to my house, check out the price history here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/430-E-Sprague-St-Winston-Salem-NC-27127/5752275_zpid/

They want 300k for a house they paid 100k for FOUR MONTHS AGO. Fuck whoever owns this place. It's not even in a good neighborhood.

Look at that sterile, lifeless interior. This is an investment company, guaranteed.

Welp, it is now Pending Sale. What the fuck.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    In unrelated news to my house, check out the price history here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/430-E-Sprague-St-Winston-Salem-NC-27127/5752275_zpid/

They want 300k for a house they paid 100k for FOUR MONTHS AGO. Fuck whoever owns this place. It's not even in a good neighborhood.

Look at that sterile, lifeless interior. This is an investment company, guaranteed.

Welp, it is now Pending Sale. What the fuck.

The house I mentioned above? Listed for $510k, sold for $625k? It last sold 3.5 years ago for $290k. Just, fuck everything about the housing market.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Can't argue with that, my parents and sister have both individually been looking for houses. All over both Ontario and then around the east coast. It's just been nuts.

In Barrie houses that went for 450k 5 years ago are going for 1.2-1.6 mil with no inspection. They said it slowed down, and honestly the only thing I've noticed is instead of selling in one day, it takes about 2 weeks. The pricing is possibly slightly lower but hard to tell.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    From It Came From Zillow, I present the midwest modern pagoda.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    How do so many people have the money for these houses? I know everyone's wages didn't triple in the last 5 years.

I like to ART
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hello house thread!

I own a coop, which while not a house, is property, so I'm wondering if folks can give me perspective here.

Recently my bathroom ceiling collapsed from a leak from my upstairs neighbors' bathroom. I got the super and upstairs landlord involved, and ULandlord came same day to clean up and patch the hole, so the place is at least livable.

The sheet rock and plaster is fixed for now, but I'm worried the wood structure between floors is soaked. I'm not sure what type of professional I need to investigate that, and if something is wrong, who (building or unit owner) would be responsible for fixing the wooden beams.

Hey there! While I’ve casually called it a condo on these forums, the property I owned for 17 years was actually a coop, so I’ve got some experience here!

Generally speaking, you are only responsible for stuff from your drywall in, with the exception of your own plumbing lines, so even if there is more serious damage between the units, it isn’t normally on you.

But the bigger thing is that it definitely should have been given plenty of time to air dry out first. Ideally there would have been a nice big section cut out of your ceiling to allow airflow for at least a few days, or however long it took to totally dry. If the upstairs owner doesn’t agree, absolutely bring up to the coop management company or the board that you’ve got this concern and ask that they have the upstairs owner hire someone for water damage remediation to check it out. I’ve been the upstairs owner in this situation before. It sucks, but they owe it to you, and to the building as a whole. Any halfway not terrible board will enforce it if the owner doesn’t immediately go along with it. While the other guy is, like you, normally only responsible for his drywall and inward, if he causes damage to the structure, then that becomes his responsibility.

Also keep in mind that the upstairs owner is also responsible for getting your unit back to pre-damage status. That means even after the water is dealt with, you get a clean patch job, taped and mudded properly and all that, and paint.

So follow up to this!

I called my management company about the Water Remediation, and they mostly brushed me off, saying to ask my building's Super about it, which I did. Said Super said it's not a big deal.

I had to remove a medicine cabinet from the bathroom wall because debris had fallen and wedged between it and the wall, prying the screws loose. When I removed it, there was a jungle of loose wires exposed that were running to the lighting sconce. My theory is the previous owner raised the sconce several inches so he could put in the medicine cabinet, but he did nothing to contain the wires. I had an electrician come by and take care of this, but now I cannot return the medicine cabinet to its previous location, as the electrician moved the sconce back to the electric box to hold the wires.

The upstairs landlord finished plastering, sanding, and painting, but it doesn't look great, or nearly as nice as the job I had done when I bought the place.

The debris knocked my toilet paper dispenser off the wall. I asked the upstairs landlord about this, and he said to ask the Super (his cousin) to fix it.

I asked the upstairs landlord if, rather than replace the entire sink that's built into the cabinet, he would get the sink glazed, since there's a very large hairline crack running across the basin that I can feel with my hands. He said if it was leaking, he would caulk it, but he wouldn't do anything to restore the sink otherwise.

The globes of my sconce are cracked in several places, though still whole, but after the response to the sink, I felt disheartened and didn't bring this up.

The upstairs landlord also told me he's tired of dealing with my horrible upstairs neighbors, and he's selling the apartment. He seems to think we're finished.

I don't think there's anything I can say so compel this person to continue the repairs on my bathroom, and he won't give me his insurance information, since he "took care of it."

I feel like a lawyer would be more expensive than the remaining problems.

Feeling lost and frustrated here. I guess unsurprisingly no one gives a shit about me and everyone involved is ignoring me.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Well, it’s a pain in the ass, but this is why small claims court exists. Sorry the upstairs owner is being a shit head.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    How do so many people have the money for these houses? I know everyone's wages didn't triple in the last 5 years.

Right now? Folks making bad financial decisions for the most part. I've heard it from both my financial person and realtor that some folks are going "house poor" when buying in the last couple years (house poor is generally when housing is taking more than 30% of your income). There's also the rent spikes as well. If my rent is going up X and is making me house poor, might as well buy and own something while being house poor. There's also the idea that folks are taking loans against retirement and other investments to afford these crazy prices.

Currently it is one of the worst times to buy in recent memory imo. Appraisals work based on recent value. The house just like yours that sold for 500K 1.5 years ago down the street? Well your house must then also be worth 500K. So folks are pricing their homes like interest rates are 3%, when interest rates are over 5% and likely to be going up more here. It's going to be some time still before the market corrects itself.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Right now? Folks making bad financial decisions for the most part. I've heard it from both my financial person and realtor that some folks are going "house poor" when buying in the last couple years (house poor is generally when housing is taking more than 30% of your income). There's also the rent spikes as well. If my rent is going up X and is making me house poor, might as well buy and own something while being house poor. There's also the idea that folks are taking loans against retirement and other investments to afford these crazy prices.

Currently it is one of the worst times to buy in recent memory imo. Appraisals work based on recent value. The house just like yours that sold for 500K 1.5 years ago down the street? Well your house must then also be worth 500K. So folks are pricing their homes like interest rates are 3%, when interest rates are over 5% and likely to be going up more here. It's going to be some time still before the market corrects itself.

I'm house poor myself, but I did it before it was cool.

Also it's los angeles, so being house poor is just the norm here and always has been.

It still doesn't explain how people are buying million dollar homes without high 6-figure income.

I like to ART
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Debt. More debt.

A lucky few got the money from selling their old house.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot why I came to this, to complain!!!

I don't know who added this room to the house but they seem to have done it entirely with drywall. There seems to be not a single stud available to screw into.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Debt. More debt.

Sounds like an incredibly stressful existence.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Debt. More debt.

Sounds like an incredibly stressful existence.

Reading stuff around the 2008 crash, some folks seem to not have the same level of stress intake as myself. If I still had hair on my head, I'd have lost all of it doing what some folks were/are doing.

• Options
    Tomorrow is contractor day. Gonna have a whole bunch of people coming out. Getting a quote for the windows, getting plumbing fixed, and... HVAC, I think?

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Debt. More debt.

cheap debt even!

also 10+ years of bull market has been good to a lot of people that put all their money in the market.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    When we bought our current house, we were house poor, based both on how little I had made in 2020 and even the much higher amount I had made by the end of the year in 2021. I felt pretty certain I'd be making more money this year, however, and it panned out as I'd hoped. Of course, if we were buying a house with current interest rates, we couldn't have afforded the house we are in, so it feels extremely fortunate that we didn't have to wait.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The apartment complex I was living at in 2019 changed ownership and started being really shitty to all of their tenants, giving me the kick in the ass needed to go house hunting after not really having any complaints about living there for the 12 years beforehand. We had been saving for a house the entire time, so we were able to pull it off before the end of the year, which ended up being extremely lucky with what came after.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

A lot is people moving from cities to elsewhere, so the cost differential is massive. 750k gets you a shitty 2 bedroom condo in Boston, or you could buy a massive house basically anywhere else. 50-75k above other values - who cares, it's basically a rounding error comparatively.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    That’s still a mortgage payment of at least $3k a month. That’s my whole paycheck at a minimum. So I’m still in the “who are all these people making all this money?” club over here.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If we're talking normal people being able to afford houses in the current market, I'm betting a large chunk are couples (or triads, or more) with each person contributing income and there not being any kids in the picture.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

A lot is people moving from cities to elsewhere, so the cost differential is massive. 750k gets you a shitty 2 bedroom condo in Boston, or you could buy a massive house basically anywhere else. 50-75k above other values - who cares, it's basically a rounding error comparatively.

xvn97a10q1kp.jpg

I like to ART
  • Options
    They'll sell them to the poors, who aren't people, and we don't care if they drown! Duh!

Alternately, you think I can't find a millennial willing to risk it for a shot at home ownership?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cities were already overstuffed, so there were plenty of buyers renting or living with parents/friends. As work from home has become much more prevalent for tech and corporate jobs, the large corporate hubs depopulate as people don't need to live near the office to minimize commute and make multiples of the median income regardless of where in the country they live. I remember when I was in SF/Oakland, I was saving 5% or less of my income and basically living paycheck to paycheck. When I moved back east to a more rural area, I could easily afford living in the all but the absolute nicest areas. If you're from CA and your property was worth millions? You don't care if it's 300k or 400k that much.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hopefully work from home becomes the norm and more people can move from the cities to rural areas. And maybe with that shift we'll get some actual investment in infrastructure and rural internet!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Yeah I have a friend in Maine who was looking and couldn't find anything as all these NYC folks were coming up and buying anything available. There's also been a lot of articles on the 'inland west', your Arizona, Colorado, West Texas and such, with folks moving from the coast to get cheaper housing. By all accounts Austin has become a shit show thanks to Musk.

That said, I doubt anyone was moving here to the DMV for housing, and the markets just as crazy. So it's a ton of different factors depending on the market area probably.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hopefully work from home becomes the norm and more people can move from the cities to rural areas. And maybe with that shift we'll get some actual investment in infrastructure and rural internet!

We'll see. Folks don't just move to the cities for jobs. Cities have stuff to do. And as more folks either have 1 kid or no kids, having stuff to do is really nice. It's been over a decade now, but most of the kids in my college were more of the mind set that they were moving to the city first, then looking for jobs. Not looking for jobs, then taking the one in a city. Cities are also more efficient from an environment perspective, so more eco-conscience folks may use that as a factor.

Everything is cyclical though, so who knows. And if more businesses go hybrid or full remote, that adds a lot of SQ in the city for new residential options, lowering costs.

• Options
    You guys.

We just told my Realtor to offer to give $550,000 of our money (most of which isn't technically our money) to a man in exchange for a house. I'm nervous and excited, but not super optimistic. We're offering $50k over asking, and our Realtor says that's a reasonably good offer, but it's always possible that some lunatic swoops in and offers like $600k. Either way, we should find out by the end of next week.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    jesus

the last house I bought was $125k

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Same! Well, it was a condo, and it was 17 years ago.

This house is decidedly dead-center mid-range for the area. We've passed on so many $600k+ houses so far, and a bunch of $500k to $550k ones that needed a lot of work. This is the first goldilocks one we've found that's right in the middle price-wise and really doesn't need any immediate work, but does have a decent garage for my workshop.

minor incident on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I think the neighbor kids have some cousins visiting from out of town. As a result, I am being bullied through my video doorbell by a pack of feral tweens. You know the kind of no-punchline prank calls you'd invent with your friends at sleepovers? Like that, except the accomplices giggling and feeding lines to the performer are clearly visible and audible.

It's weirdly wholesome, although I don't think I'd encourage it in a state full of itchy Castle Doctrine maniacs.

GDdCWMm.jpg