As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead: The [chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    yoga helping mental illness isn't snake oil!
    She followed up by pitching naturopathy

Yoga isn't in and of itself snake oil but attributing unproven benefits to it is

It's helpful in the same way any physical activity can be helpful

There's nothing magically unique about fancy stretching and breathing exercises

it's sustained, relatively gentle exercise that includes a mindfulness practice and often has a social component to it, I didn't say it was magic

also the APA recommends it to people who have suffered trauma due to some studies showing it was good for them: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/11/yoga#:~:text=Several recent studies suggest that,with post-traumatic stress disorder.

caveat that I didn't track down or read the studies

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Maybe getting a better potato?

I actually have my wife’s old dslr

I just never take it anywhere because then I’d have to carry it and photography is a second order consideration for me at best.

Also it’s not waterproof so I would not expect it to live very long
    I just enjoy posting terrible pictures

this hurts me

• Options
    I think this thread and its participants has way too much kneejerk skepticism

I recall one time I said a woman was found to be able to detect parkinson's disease by smell and a bunch of scientists and science trained people here dismissed it out of hand and said it was impossible or bunk

but... it's not? it was well-documented and studied by scientists and the mechanism behind it was fairly easily explained? that's not great science, guys!

I'm sorry woo woo j-o crystal chargers have made you overly skeptical but our bodies are really complicated and bizarre and we still know very little about how they work!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    did a humble j-o crystal ever really hurt anyone anyway

• Options

I recall one time I said a woman was found to be able to detect parkinson's disease by smell and a bunch of scientists and science trained people here dismissed it out of hand and said it was impossible or bunk

but... it's not? it was well-documented and studied by scientists and the mechanism behind it was fairly easily explained? that's not great science, guys!

I'm sorry woo woo j-o crystal chargers have made you overly skeptical but our bodies are really complicated and bizarre and we still know very little about how they work!

I'll wait for scientific consensus. In the absence of that, skepticism is IMO perfectly reasonable.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

maintaining a healthy charge is important

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

If it glows white that means it’s working

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the full name of the elden ring blood katana in japanese is "mountain of corpses, rivers of blood"

fucken siiick

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    you don't have to sell me too terribly much on trying out different forms of exercise

it's fun for me

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Don’t give up, skeleton

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I hear you and you're right to push back if it's too extreme. I wonder if where you live correlates heavily with how often you hear nonsense pushed or whether it's just like pothead culture or militant veganism, where the hate is massively out of proportion with the ubiquity of the phenomenon.

Anecdotally when i do yoga near me it usually takes a bit of effort to find a place that has only a low amount of full-on reiki bullshit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So this one exercise involves cinderblocks, some jewelers chain, and a Prince Albert

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    as long as you enjoy doing the exercises as a routine then it really doesn't matter what those exercises are as long as you're doing them in moderation at a comfortable level and not attempting olympic level sets/weights/etc. to the point of damaging muscles/bones

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    you don't have to sell me too terribly much on trying out different forms of exercise

it's fun for me

I like yoga because you get a new instruction every 2s. That small thing makes it the best type of exercise class for me by a country mile. Idk if that is only vinyasa flow or other types too

sig.gif
  • Options
    I’m farting

• Options
    Still farting

• Options
    And I’m done

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    the full name of the elden ring blood katana in japanese is "mountain of corpses, rivers of blood"

fucken siiick

Damn that is sick

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Aww i was just starting to get invested

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    the crow pose is neat

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    as long as you enjoy doing the exercises as a routine then it really doesn't matter what those exercises are as long as you're doing them in moderation at a comfortable level and not attempting olympic level sets/weights/etc. to the point of damaging muscles/bones

And as long as you have proper form. I injured my knee in a perfectly normal beginner's yoga class while supervised by a paid teacher. Bodies are bullshit! You have to waste time moving them around doing nothing to make them stronger except also that breaks them sometimes?!?

sig.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is this going to become the Spooky Thread?

• Options
    I like eagle pose for the challenge and pigeon pose for the hip flexor stretch

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The case of the mysterious joint injuries in over 35s

Tumin on
  • Options
    Tumin wrote: »

It wasn’t a ghost guys it was just FATHER TIME

• Options

I was like 26 at the time! I'm 35 now and after a year of decently vigorous exercise with a 1x1 personal trainer i feel like it might be a lot safer to go to random yoga classes even when tired

sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

fucken siiick

Damn that is sick

Sounds like the new napalm death album

• Options
    edited May 2022

I was like 26 at the time! I'm 35 now and after a year of decently vigorous exercise with a 1x1 personal trainer i feel like it might be a lot safer to go to random yoga classes even when tired

More of a "if not by then, soon" then a "at that point"

When will it be soon?

Now

Tumin on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mom is super into a lot of nebulous naturopathy woo shit

When i first got sick she kept suggesting various "natural" solutions

And I finally had to tell her if even half that woo shit worked nobody would need dialysis or chemotherapy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

When will it be soon?

Now

Okay but why did i get knee injuries and alcohol intolerance 20 years early? Who am i, hakkes or somebody?!?

sig.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I'll wait for scientific consensus. In the absence of that, skepticism is IMO perfectly reasonable.

The problem is one of signal to noise

Like, you can take as a starting assumption that 99% or more of things like this are a grift, and sifting out the credible from the merely credibly presented seems like an insurmountable burden relative to just dismissing all of it

• Options

When will it be soon?

Now

Okay but why did i get knee injuries and alcohol intolerance 20 years early? Who am i, hakkes or somebody?!?

Chu's monkey paw I assume

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Do you have a reference from the primary literature to back up the claim that we are “skeptical”

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've actually heard that if you damage bone it grows back even stronger so most of my exercises consist of throwing myself down flights of stairs at the park followed by several months of recuperating.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Mom is super into a lot of nebulous naturopathy woo shit

When i first got sick she kept suggesting various "natural" solutions

And I finally had to tell her if even half that woo shit worked nobody would need dialysis or chemotherapy

yeah the big problem is when people insist on doing unproven stuff in lieu of effective medical treatment

• Options

I just never take it anywhere because then I’d have to carry it and photography is a second order consideration for me at best.

this hurts me

1fdgljp82y8n.jpeg

Here is a picture of a rabbit I just took

• Options

this hurts me

1fdgljp82y8n.jpeg

I can recognize that's a rabbit

VishNub it's like you're not even trying

• Options

this hurts me

1fdgljp82y8n.jpeg

I can recognize that's a rabbit

VishNub it's like you're not even trying

c2xwfh2b9mqa.jpeg

Shore birds from this weekend?

• Options
    slay the spire is fun to play on a console

the heart is a dramatic fight on a tv!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They added America Chavez to the theme park.
    https://youtu.be/a_L7vtlHIis

This discussion has been closed.