As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil Dead: The [chat]

18990929495100

Posts

  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    I am, in general, far more concerned with appreciating and experiencing nature in the moment than I am with documentation of it.

    My wife is the opposite, very “pics or it didn’t happen.”

    This is very clearly reflected in the quality of the pictures we take.

    VishNub on
    knitdantyrannusJPantsOrcashrykeMrMister
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Shore are

  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Vish I love you make the next picture even bigger

    VishNubDoodmannMrMister
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Vish I love you make the next picture even bigger

    Bigger or more pixelated?

  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It’s under a meg, copper.

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    @credeiki I was in the lobby waiting for the leasing agent to hook me up with the app that lets you into the building (you can do nfc with phone or facial recognition or a regularly changed pin or whatever). And this other resident is walking by and starts telling me he doesn’t recommend using the recognition feature, how he’s ex-IT and NO ONE will get his biometrics, that’s why he didn’t join the army.

    It immediately made me think of you.

    credeikiknitdanAtomikaGiantGeek2020LucedesEvil MultifariousmysticjuicerMazzyxshrykeAthenorRhesus PositiveMsAnthropyoverride367MrMisterYoshisummons
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Is there a convention in boston this weekend? There are more people in exuberant costumes than usual today

  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Vish I love you make the next picture even bigger

    Bigger or more pixelated?

    Yes

    Doodmann
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Blurry, zoomed in nature photos you say?

    Here's a quail I saw in town the other day while sitting at a stoplight

    03cfczj2dghx.jpeg

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    VishNubGiantGeek2020OrcaLucedesHavelock2.0Rhesus PositiveMrMister
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Hmm I definitely was not here during the lady who smells parkinson's controversy but I am quite sure I would have called bullshit immediately.

    After doing some reading, she did in fact accurately detect people with parkinson's in some sort of trial using ... 12 people. This also lead researchers to isolate compounds in sebum of Parkinson's patients that is different. They however did not go back and use those sebum to see if the lady could smell them.

    I would call it serendipitous but not necessarily mechanistic or causal.

    MrMister
  • AtomikaAtomika Flames. On the side of my face.Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    I think yoga probably helps a lot with people who have issues with general anxiety because its focusing techniques are analogous to the same ones clinical psychotherapists use to treat the same issues

    I, on the other hand, suffer from periodic flare-ups of depression related to a long history of familial abuse that I’m already medicated for, go to weekly therapy to treat, and have even undergone experimental TMS treatments to minimize.

    So when I tell someone—who is a medical person, to boot—that the reason I haven’t been up for hangouts lately is because I’m too busy intoxicating myself into a stupor to prevent acting on impulses of self-harm, “Have ya tried yoga or seeing someone about eating magic dirt?” seems . . . childish, I guess? Unserious? Decidedly it felt insulting, even though I know it wasn’t intended as such.

    Atomika on
    knitdanDoodmannLucedesWeaverMsAnthropy
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I not convinced until I place the hospital cat on an elderly person and they drop dead immediately. Then we know the cat really knows who is about to die.

  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Mushrooms are basically magic dirt

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    VishNub it's Memorial Day weekend

    I assume as with all "patriotic" holidays Boston loves to break out the drums and fifes and tri-corn hats for it

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Most of the CBT methods of dealing with anxiety and depression could’ve easily been right out of a mindfulness meditation guidebook with a very changes in terminology

    Sixshryke
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    VishNub it's Memorial Day weekend

    I assume as with all "patriotic" holidays Boston loves to break out the drums and fifes and tri-corn hats for it

    More sailor moon, less revolutionary war.

  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    Interesting article about the lady who claimed she was asked to delete covid data from the Florida databases:

    https://cbs12.com/news/local/ousted-dashboard-designers-claims-dont-add-up-former-colleagues-and-experts-say

    Tl;dr: there would be no reason to ask her to do that, she didn't even have access to the raw data in the first place, and she has never provided any proof any such thing happened. The only thing she was in charge of was building the dashboard.

    Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • AtomikaAtomika Flames. On the side of my face.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Mushrooms are basically magic dirt

    Yeah and I can’t do any psychedelics because they make my DPDR worse and they’re contraindicated by my depression meds.

  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Ah. Well there goes that.

  • AtomikaAtomika Flames. On the side of my face.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Ah. Well there goes that.

    Also the times I’ve tried LSD and mushrooms I had just a miserable fucking time

    I don’t want to be high for hours on end, and those aren’t fun or relaxing kinds of high

    VishNub
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Never tried either so 🤷‍♂️

    I was mostly making a dumb joke. Sorry!

  • AtomikaAtomika Flames. On the side of my face.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Never tried either so 🤷‍♂️

    I was mostly making a dumb joke. Sorry!

    I won’t try to dissuade you, DateGrrl does fantastically on mushrooms, everyone is gonna have their own response.

    VishNub
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Interesting article about the lady who claimed she was asked to delete covid data from the Florida databases:

    https://cbs12.com/news/local/ousted-dashboard-designers-claims-dont-add-up-former-colleagues-and-experts-say

    Tl;dr: there would be no reason to ask her to do that, she didn't even have access to the raw data in the first place, and she has never provided any proof any such thing happened. The only thing she was in charge of was building the dashboard.

    A bunch of unsourced anonymous quotes from people who were presumably just fine with how Florida handled the pandemic

    Also there's this:
    WPEC is a FL based station and a CBS Television affiliate owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group.

    Nice try though

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    VishNub wrote: »
    I am, in general, far more concerned with appreciating and experiencing nature in the moment than I am with documentation of it.

    My wife is the opposite, very “pics or it didn’t happen.”

    This is very clearly reflected in the quality of the pictures we take.
    As I am coasting through the fourth decade of my life, I wish I had taken more pictures at certain times in my life. I took a LOT of photos during my senior year of undergrad and my first two years of medical school. I look back on those photos now and feel a lot of joy and happiness. The years when I didn't take many pictures are just a blur to me.

    I might throw in for getting one of those lifeblogging cams or something. Not to wear all the time, but just to throw on when I'm doing fun things so I can be in the moment while still having a visual record of those fun times.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    VishNub
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A lot of hallucinogens are receiving a ton of hype despite evidence still being very much mixed and should be treated with care like basically any other drug

    CaptainBeyondA Kobold's KoboldAtomikaMazzyx
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A lot of hallucinogens are receiving a ton of hype despite evidence still being very much mixed and should be treated with care like basically any other drug

    Someone’s just got disinvited from the chat depression ketamine party

    TuminMsAnthropy
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have done mushrooms an embarrassing amount of times

    i found them very useful for confronting ego and calling ones own bullshit and, once you have those introspective strategies, you never really need to do them again

    the other 45 or so times was because for a moment in my life i liked feeling like i was melting

    DoodmannmysticjuicercredeikiAtomikaMazzyx
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I am, in general, far more concerned with appreciating and experiencing nature in the moment than I am with documentation of it.

    My wife is the opposite, very “pics or it didn’t happen.”

    This is very clearly reflected in the quality of the pictures we take.

    i like alligator documentaries but when i went tubing down a river with them i wasnt a fan of being in the moment with them

  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I have done mushrooms an embarrassing amount of times

    i found them very useful for confronting ego and calling ones own bullshit and, once you have those introspective strategies, you never really need to do them again

    the other 45 or so times was because for a moment in my life i liked feeling like i was melting

    I've never done shrooms or acid

    With both I've been told if you fight it you're probably going to have a really bad time

    And my brain's reaction to pretty much all drugs is to fight tooth and nail so

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Read this article and was suddenly reminded of the people with alpine poles who were very upset that my dog was running in circles round the peak of Cort Ma Law

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/27/highland-hounds-take-on-scotland-munros-as-mountain-hikes-rise-in-popularity

  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think yoga probably helps a lot with people who have issues with general anxiety because its focusing techniques are analogous to the same ones clinical psychotherapists use to treat the same issues

    I, on the other hand, suffer from periodic flare-ups of depression related to a long history of familial abuse that I’m already medicated for, go to weekly therapy to treat, and have even undergone experimental TMS treatments to minimize.

    So when I tell someone—who is a medical person, to boot—that the reason I haven’t been up for hangouts lately is because I’m too busy intoxicating myself into a stupor to prevent acting on impulses of self-harm, “Have ya tried yoga or seeing someone about eating magic dirt?” seems . . . childish, I guess? Unserious? Decidedly it felt insulting, even though I know it wasn’t intended as such.

    I know someone with Crohns who's ready to knife the next person that suggests Turmeric.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Help me Marie Kondo my life and buy my old stuff
    AtomikaHavelock2.0MsAnthropyknitdan
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This game is the spiritual successor to Clock Tower. I need to find my copy of Clock Tower 3.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunting_Ground

  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond Registered User regular
    Something about peak bagging irritates me and I’ve never been able to put my finger on it

    Also my mam had a cancerous lump removed this week and I only heard about it because I called my dad to wish him a happy birthday, to give an idea of the stiff upper lip environment I was raised in

  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    What about tea bagging a summited peak

    VishNubOrcaknitdan
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Peak bagging?

    VishNubOrcaHavelock2.0
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I am, in general, far more concerned with appreciating and experiencing nature in the moment than I am with documentation of it.

    My wife is the opposite, very “pics or it didn’t happen.”

    This is very clearly reflected in the quality of the pictures we take.

    I prefer less documentation of the past rather than more, it makes it easier for me to jump universes by exploiting the Mandela Effect

    Lucedes
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Resident Evil 4, ft. the Dog from Haunting Ground

    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Twitter delenda est
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Peak bagging?

    Making a list of hills and then ticking them all off it as you walk up them

    There are Munros, Donalds, Grahams, and Marilyns depending on which list you use and the scope of your ambitions

  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Read this article and was suddenly reminded of the people with alpine poles who were very upset that my dog was running in circles round the peak of Cort Ma Law

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/27/highland-hounds-take-on-scotland-munros-as-mountain-hikes-rise-in-popularity
    This is a list of Corbett mountains in Scotland by height. Corbetts are defined as Scottish mountains between 2,500–3,000 feet (762.0–914.4 m) in height with a prominence over 500 feet (152.4 m);[1] solely imperial measurement thresholds.[2][3]

    The first list was compiled in the 1920s by John Rooke Corbett, a Bristol-based climber and Scottish Mountaineering Club ("SMC") member, and was published posthumously, after his sister passed it to the SMC, in the 1953 edition of Munro's Tables.[2][4] Corbetts are the next category down from the Munros and Munro Tops in terms of height (e.g. below the 3,000 feet (914.4 m) threshold), but their explicit prominence threshold of 500 feet (152 m), ensure they are material peaks.[2] By definition, all Corbetts, given their prominence, are Marilyns.[5] The SMC keeps a list of Corbetts.[1]

    As of October 2018, there were 222 Corbetts in Scotland.[6] 21 of these 222 Corbetts have a prominence that exceeds the P600 threshold of 600 metres (1,969 ft), which would class them as "Majors".[6] The highest Corbett, Beinn a' Chlaidheimh, at 914 metres (2,999 ft) is just below the threshold for a Munro, a status it held until it was demoted in 2012 based on new surveys;[7] it ranks as the 478th highest mountain in the British Isles, on the Simms classification.[6] The Corbett with the greatest prominence is Goat Fell at 874 metres (2,867 ft), which ranks it as the 16th most prominent mountain in the British Isles.[6]

    Is this just like, a common term, or in-group jargon?

This discussion has been closed.