As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead: The [chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think yoga probably helps a lot with people who have issues with general anxiety because its focusing techniques are analogous to the same ones clinical psychotherapists use to treat the same issues

I, on the other hand, suffer from periodic flare-ups of depression related to a long history of familial abuse that I’m already medicated for, go to weekly therapy to treat, and have even undergone experimental TMS treatments to minimize.

So when I tell someone—who is a medical person, to boot—that the reason I haven’t been up for hangouts lately is because I’m too busy intoxicating myself into a stupor to prevent acting on impulses of self-harm, “Have ya tried yoga or seeing someone about eating magic dirt?” seems . . . childish, I guess? Unserious? Decidedly it felt insulting, even though I know it wasn’t intended as such.

The APA recommends yoga for soldiers suffering from PSTD, based on some clinical data

Idk, any regular physical activity with other people is going to improve your mental health at least a small amount

I recognize people with depression don’t like hearing that they should haul their shambling, miserable forms to places to do things because depression is a cruel disease, but do yoga is good advice for mental illness if you have the money and time

It's not that they don't like hearing it, it's that they don't have the willpower to do it because depression

Easy to know what you should do, hard to execute on it, especially consistently.

Yeah, I know

But this is not most people with depression - most people can get out of bed and feed themselves and do the bare minimum to survive and keep a job

For someone who can’t get out of bed, go do yoga is useless and probably harmful advice

For someone who can and is developing self-medicating strategies that are not helpful in the long run, “go do a structured physical and social activity 1-2 times a week that you can have a friend help you go to” is excellent advice

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    oxo2WyG.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    This is the song that was playing on the radio back somewhere in the 2000s, when I woke up from the happiest dream I ever had with a seemingly unnatural feeling of joy and excitement for the entire day.

https://youtu.be/FSdj2PgoIl4

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Eddy and it's also ok when somebody says no to that advice.

Weaver on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is more like a Souls-like with a job system.

I still don't quite like that it re-tells Final Fantasy 1.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I think yoga probably helps a lot with people who have issues with general anxiety because its focusing techniques are analogous to the same ones clinical psychotherapists use to treat the same issues

I, on the other hand, suffer from periodic flare-ups of depression related to a long history of familial abuse that I’m already medicated for, go to weekly therapy to treat, and have even undergone experimental TMS treatments to minimize.

So when I tell someone—who is a medical person, to boot—that the reason I haven’t been up for hangouts lately is because I’m too busy intoxicating myself into a stupor to prevent acting on impulses of self-harm, “Have ya tried yoga or seeing someone about eating magic dirt?” seems . . . childish, I guess? Unserious? Decidedly it felt insulting, even though I know it wasn’t intended as such.

The APA recommends yoga for soldiers suffering from PSTD, based on some clinical data

Idk, any regular physical activity with other people is going to improve your mental health at least a small amount

I recognize people with depression don’t like hearing that they should haul their shambling, miserable forms to places to do things because depression is a cruel disease, but do yoga is good advice for mental illness if you have the money and time

It's not that they don't like hearing it, it's that they don't have the willpower to do it because depression

Easy to know what you should do, hard to execute on it, especially consistently.

Yeah, I know

But this is not most people with depression - most people can get out of bed and feed themselves and do the bare minimum to survive and keep a job

For someone who can’t get out of bed, go do yoga is useless and probably harmful advice

For someone who can and is developing self-medicating strategies that are not helpful in the long run, “go do a structured physical and social activity 1-2 times a week that you can have a friend help you go to” is excellent advice

You're right while at the same time gloss over the difficulty of maintaining the commitment, the need for additional support structure help maintain it, etc.

It is often helpful.

It is also not easy to maintain that commitment. It's easy to fall off it.

• Options
    Socialization is another big one. What do you not want to do when you're depressed? Socialize.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Everyone go do this Spiderman kids yoga that me and my son do together. You can't say no to Spiderman kids yoga.

https://youtu.be/fnO-lGEMOXk

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Fundamentally my problem with "Just go do X and it will help your depression" is that yes it's true while at the same time it may as well be an instruction to go breathe air on the moon because you barely have the willpower to maintain whatever your minimal level of survival is.

If you aren't far enough gone to where someone can pull you out along it can help get you past the activation energy necessary to go out or whatever.

The willpower deficit remains the biggest obstacle to digging yourself out of that hole on your own in my experience.

Orca on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    acxu45b01e9z.png

yesss

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I have access to a 24-hour studio in my building for free

But going is gonna take some effort

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    OK OK fine

I will ride the bike and watch Stranger Things and THEN do the badposting

• Options
    Tumin and Orca, aren't you both in the Seattle area?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tumin did you buy a squier affinity strat

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I guess my question is why can you do anything else but not that

That might sound facetious but it’s an honest question

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Interesting article about the lady who claimed she was asked to delete covid data from the Florida databases:

https://cbs12.com/news/local/ousted-dashboard-designers-claims-dont-add-up-former-colleagues-and-experts-say

Tl;dr: there would be no reason to ask her to do that, she didn't even have access to the raw data in the first place, and she has never provided any proof any such thing happened. The only thing she was in charge of was building the dashboard.

A bunch of unsourced anonymous quotes from people who were presumably just fine with how Florida handled the pandemic

Also there's this:
    WPEC is a FL based station and a CBS Television affiliate owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Nice try though

It's based on the results of the government investigation into her accusations, and I thought it was interesting how social media tribalism means that many people will insist on still believing her accusations just on principle, despite her own accusations retreating from her initial claims.

That your response to me posting something I thought was interesting is "nice try", as if I have some sort of interest in covertly defending the republican government of the furthest state from me in the US seems like a pretty good illustration of that whole principle.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The Tomb Raider games are dirt cheap on Steam. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Kind of a double whammy right now. Stranger Things and Obi Wan are out.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Deleting. Shouldn't have kept engaging.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Oh no the child actors are Dawson casting hard (I think they are supposed to be freshman?)

Tumin on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I walked 17.8k steps today

My body is crying

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    How would we feel if Zach Galifianakis were cast as Batman

• Options
    How would we feel if Zach Galifianakis were cast as Batman

And he uses a gun?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    m20seabsqmhs.png

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    m20seabsqmhs.png

I love it

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    vg5wizb0chvf.jpeg
    Tired kitties are tired.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    i think google image search is just making AI generated images of whatever words you put together

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    i think google image search is just making AI generated images of whatever words you put together

https://imagen.research.google/

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Last thing I will say on the matter: any story published by Sinclair Broadcasting Group isn't worth the server space it's stored on
    Anyway it's still raining

The lawn is gonna be a foot tall before I get another chance to knock it down

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I don't know who would be interested, but this lady sure can play the fucking violin

https://youtu.be/33Z21zuML2g

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My building has negotiated rates with comcast that seem p good? All the plans are no contract, month to month, with any equipment included without a premium and also a written guarantee not to adjust pricing for at least two years

50 for 300mb, unlimited
    60 for 600mb, unlimited
    50 for gigabit, 1.2tb monthly cap

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    rewatching "Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor".

On one hand, Kaiji was dealt a real raw hand by society and the economy.

On the other he falls for obvious tricks really easily.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Did you all pretend to be Spiderman?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Apparently, I lost that Mobius game I kickstarted years ago. I probably have the email for it somewhere. They need to keep that stuff more organized.

@Krathoon the Pinkerton road game?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    rewatching "Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor".

On one hand, Kaiji was dealt a real raw hand by society and the economy.

On the other he falls for obvious tricks really easily.

I'm still salty about the tissue box bet

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed the first episode of Obi-wan
    this first like the first Star Wars property in a very long time, including the sequel trilogy, that has actually felt like an integrated part of the original story and not just something inspired by it. Also the girl who plays young leia is killing it

• Options
    Walking the dog in the cemetery with my new earbuds in listening to old Decemberists albums

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Sudden wave of thinking about the fact that when dad was my age, I was 4... and that means I have a frame of reference to compare my parents' lives to mine.

Down this path leads only depression and self-pity.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tAPGMcksq6k

They are in one of the prefectures I use to live in. So its usually really fun to watch.

Also I love this channel because they are such an adorable couple.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Apparently, I lost that Mobius game I kickstarted years ago. I probably have the email for it somewhere. They need to keep that stuff more organized.

@Krathoon the Pinkerton road game?

Yes. I assume they sent me a key for it, but I can't find it. I did get a signed copy of the Gabriel Knight remake from them.

This discussion has been closed.