As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Wrapping up my second playthrough, I've come to the unavoidable conclusion that I don't actually use my spellcasters as intended. Mostly they're there to shoot Light Crossbows and help pass skill checks. Because I play on the lowest difficulty, really the only casting I need is various healing spells, with the occasional True Sight, or Dimension Door when someone gets stuck on a piece of geometry.

So in order to learn how to actually play spellcasters, I should make a spellcaster for my probably inevitable third playthrough. Learn to micro one spellcaster as a lead-up to actually playing spellcasters properly kind of thing.

I'm thinking a Dhampir sorcerer with the undead bloodline. They'll become an Azata, obviously.

Do you play Turn Based or Real Time? I feel that changes spellcasting a whole bunch.

Real Time. Turn based just eats up so much time and this is already a pretty long game.

Of course, there is that one quest.

Yeah, that would explain a lot. While you can spellcast in Real Time, you can hit nothing but air as everyone walks out of the zone you're blasting or the grease you're putting down. In TBM, spellcasting feels much much better as a result.

Totally understand the time thing though.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yeah casters function night and day different in TBM vs. Real-Time. A high initiative caster going early in TBM can often just clear the room immediately without giving the enemy any time to react.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I generally tend to start fights in turn based to get the positioning right, then switch to real time for expediency.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    So a Lich tried to offer me Unlimited Power, I didn't buy it, so he immediately put up seven buffs before initiative was rolled and cast a big fuck you spell before I even got to go. I still managed to take him out, mostly by layering four Greases under him and letting the law of averages take care of him while I poked at him from 10 feet away with glaives.

If you're going to cheat then so am I.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

It's probably Starfinder.

Nope. Confirmed to not be Starfinder.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Spelljammer?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Well that's unfortunate but not surprising!

I'll sit this one out until folks tell me they figured out a bunch of shit from Wrath and didn't repeat their sins again.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    AHHHHHHHH!!

FUCK. ITS HAPPENING. SPACE GOBLINS!

https://youtu.be/tzZaclQeznw

https://imgur.com/NWcCzg1

W3EcbRu.gif

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Spelljammer?

Starfinder, Paizo’s Pathfinder in the distant future setting.

• Options
    Put that Kickstarter up right now.

I got a hundred bucks ready to go. Lets do this shit.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I guess Owlcat can't make Starfinder's rules any worse...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Its likely a thousand years later, space travel and laser weapons have been invented but for some reason you're still probably going to have to take the precise shot feat.

Civilization can only progress so far.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Its likely a thousand years later, space travel and laser weapons have been invented but for some reason you're still probably going to have to take the precise shot feat.

Civilization can only progress so far.

Starfinder doesn't have Precise Shot. You can just fire into melee.
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I guess Owlcat can't make Starfinder's rules any worse...

I am actually hopeful that Starfinder can temper Owlcat's extreme encounter bloat.

* drastically fewer and lower bonuses
    * significantly more reasonable attack roll math (no crit confirm rolls)
    * only 2 worn magic items per character
    * Armor and weapons have a range of traits based on level and don't get hilariously overpowered enchantments.
    * No feat traps

Starfinder is actually a superior game to PF1 and I personally prefer it to PF2 (bias: I like sci fi).

• Options
    edited May 2022
    This is probably a hot take but I feel like a lot of problems arise in the Pathfinder video games becuase it insists on copying the way Baldur's Gate adapted DnD.

Once I started listening to podcasts of people playing the tabletop, so much started making more sense as to how the game is supposed to flow.

Larian basically has the right idea (even if I'm nowhere near as big on those games as I am Kingmaker and Wrath), with it being turn based and not designed around a gazillion masses of enemy encounters in each area.

These games are funner in turn based mode but the fact that they're not designed around it makes them feel pretty sluggish and drawn out becuase there are just so many fights if you actually try to play the whole game like that. Its a godsend for boss fights and hard encounters though.

I don't think they can change it now though without people getting pissed.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    This is probably a hot take but I feel like a lot of problems arise in the Pathfinder video games becuase it insists on copying the way Baldur's Gate adapted DnD.

Once I started listening to podcasts of people playing the tabletop, so much started making more sense as to how the game is supposed to flow.

Larian basically has the right idea (even if I'm nowhere near as big on those games as I am Kingmaker and Wrath), with it being turn based and not designed around a gazillion masses of enemy encounters in each area.

These games are funner in turn based mode but the fact that they're not designed around it makes them feel pretty sluggish and drawn out becuase there are just so many fights if you actually try to play the whole game like that. Its a godsend for boss fights and hard encounters though.

I don't think they change it now though without people getting pissed.

I was a Baldur's Gate OG, frequented the Bioware and Black Isle Studios boards all the time (to the point where my workplaces was annoyed with me... sorry your teleconference job is boring...).

Eventually, near the end of BG2, I just... tapered off. Every boss battle was a caster puzzle of dispelling, countering, striking, and that was cool a couple of times, but... like even the dragon fight named after me ("Draconis") has some gimmicky bullshit (he's got permanent greater invisibility that is tough to remove). Without turnbased mode, I just got frazzled keeping track of my entire party.

Kingmaker reminded me of that, except replace the complicated spell battles with "if you don't have a particular spell, you're toast."

Thankfully Starfinder got rid of most of that bullshit.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    AHHHHHHHH!!

Whoa whoa whoa hold on don't get ahead of yourself here.

You see, in Starfinder, you can just have Space (X), where X is just a normal version of X that's been carried up into space. A Space Goblin for instance, is just an ordinary Pathfinder goblin who hates all writing because they think that it steals thoughts out of their heads etc who is on an asteroid or planet or something. Someplace that isn't their normal Golarion habitat.

Or you can have (X), Space (and yes I bolded the Comma), pronounced "X comma Space", is a version of that noun that has been adapted and molded from its original form to be suitable for space. A Goblin, Space is a fiendishly smart, literate little molotov-throwing anarchist with a knack for hijacking Ships, Space (because a Space Ship is just a fuckin triple master in orbit) and are often packing mean little self-made flame-spouting pistols called horseroasters.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Starfinder is mechanically really middling. It is close to 5e in the sense that the numbers are in a much narrower range at a certain level, though the curve is steeper than D&D. So a level 10 absolutely crushes a level 1, but 2 level 10s are usually fairly close together. In PF1 numbers are incredibly unbound, and depending on where you go characters can be mechanical failures or supersaijans. This part probably helps the game making part, but it needs them to step away from the "giant map filled with enemies" design because the CR in Starfinder matters way more, as do encounters per day.

A lot of damage comes from the economy. Starfinder is supposed to be balanced around constantly switching weapons and armor, and what you take with you when you step off your spaceship. Each have a few mod slots, and slotting mods can be very expensive too.

These 2 facts combined is that the big difference maker is what you shop for. The strong Starfinder character is the one that buys the right upgrade at the right time.
    They also nerfed resell value to 0.1, and there are far fewer unique items, meaning that picking up loot is pretty unsatisfying.

Starfinders ship combat is similarly really gated by level/CR and will almost always come down who has the higher numbers. The best actions are usually extremely obvious.

The setting is meant to be a bit 70s space pastiche. There's still magic and gods and undead. One of the big mysteries of Starfinder is the Gap, which is where noone in the universe has accurate documentation what happened to Golarion. The whole planet of Pathfinder disappeared in what seems to have been a period of great upheaval (Most other places have big changes in the same period), but some very powerful deity made the entire universe forget.

My personal speculation is that it relates to the Spawn of Rovavug that was at the core of the planet. A fact included early in PF1 lore and the oddly barely referenced after.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Oh, there are DEFINITELY people in universe who know what happened in the Gap, with accurate info on it.

They just aren't going to tell you, because You Know What You Did and You Should Be Ashamed.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Oh, there are DEFINITELY people in universe who know what happened in the Gap, with accurate info on it.

They just aren't going to tell you, because You Know What You Did and You Should Be Ashamed.

And what I did was take Profession: Cook at first level, and when my group found someone who remembered pre-gap, I contacted them repeatedly in every method I had available to ask for recipes. I am not ashamed, but you're right, I probably should be.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Angradd seems annoyed that his dad Torag is away on business long-term. He has to take care of all the Dwarf Shit himself.
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Starfinder is mechanically really middling.

Starfinder being mechanically middling is what makes it attractive to me. It's got the cleaner 3E-style mechanics while drastically limiting bonus stacking. At the same time, what you get instead of bonus stacking is ability upgrades (like Armor Storm soldiers, Blitz soldiers, and Solar Rush solarians all get different types of enhancements to performing the Bull Rush combat maneuver) which makes combat feel more dynamic.

There's also augmentations (you can get chromed out like a Shadowrun street samurai), weapon fusions and accessories (that can be transferred from weapon to weapon), and armor upgrades (also transferrable). So while you don't have that beloved elven chain shirt+3 anymore, you can make sure that your bull rush guys always have Juggernaut Boosters and Deflective Reinforcement in their armor.
    it needs them to step away from the "giant map filled with enemies" design because the CR in Starfinder matters way more, as do encounters per day.

Starfinder has, other than spells, very few "per day" abilities, with the main limiter being Resolve to heal Stamina damage. Most Starfinder Society parties would rather have an envoy that can heal Stamina than a mystic that can heal HP because ideally you take care of problems before they get you into HP, and the Envoy helps you save Resolve.

In theory, with well-designed casters that have something to fall back on other than spells (just give 'em rifle proficiency), you can go all day and avoid the 15 minute work day problem that plagues most D&D iterations.

What this means for Owlcat is that they just need areas where you can take a 10 minute breather to get your powers refreshed with rare long rest camp points for spells and Resolve restores. I think they could still do large maps full of enemies, but they NEED to actually look at CR math and not bloat the enemy stats, since the range of bonuses available is much narrower.

For example, just using Core rules, a 10th level soldier can have 10+[dex/str]+1 (weapon focus feat) +1 (laser accuracy gear boost, if using a laser). That's pretty much it; almost everything else affecting the attack roll is situational, like flanking, debuffed enemies, or an envoy's Get 'Em! There are no advanced weapon focus abilities, magic weapon bonuses, etc.

So having an enemy with 30 AC for a 5th level party is a death sentence that can only be hit by most party members on a natural 20. As long as Owlcat understands this, we should be okay.

• Options
    Starfinder is mechanically really middling. It is close to 5e in the sense that the numbers are in a much narrower range at a certain level, though the curve is steeper than D&D. So a level 10 absolutely crushes a level 1, but 2 level 10s are usually fairly close together. In PF1 numbers are incredibly unbound, and depending on where you go characters can be mechanical failures or supersaijans. This part probably helps the game making part, but it needs them to step away from the "giant map filled with enemies" design because the CR in Starfinder matters way more, as do encounters per day.

A lot of damage comes from the economy. Starfinder is supposed to be balanced around constantly switching weapons and armor, and what you take with you when you step off your spaceship. Each have a few mod slots, and slotting mods can be very expensive too.

These 2 facts combined is that the big difference maker is what you shop for. The strong Starfinder character is the one that buys the right upgrade at the right time.
    They also nerfed resell value to 0.1, and there are far fewer unique items, meaning that picking up loot is pretty unsatisfying.

Starfinders ship combat is similarly really gated by level/CR and will almost always come down who has the higher numbers. The best actions are usually extremely obvious.

The setting is meant to be a bit 70s space pastiche. There's still magic and gods and undead. One of the big mysteries of Starfinder is the Gap, which is where noone in the universe has accurate documentation what happened to Golarion. The whole planet of Pathfinder disappeared in what seems to have been a period of great upheaval (Most other places have big changes in the same period), but some very powerful deity made the entire universe forget.

My personal speculation is that it relates to the Spawn of Rovavug that was at the core of the planet. A fact included early in PF1 lore and the oddly barely referenced after.
    Its not a spawn if I remember right, its Rovagug himself that was imprisoned in Golarion.

Which is primarily why I'm interested in finding out more about the gap.

Golarion disappearing is one thing...but where the hell is Rovagug? Did he break out? The thought is pretty interesting and kind of invites dread.

Answer is probably a lot more benign than that.

"No, its fine. We just moved Golarion to another galaxy for safe keeping. Yeah, Rovagug is still sealed."

• Options

Its not a spawn if I remember right, its Rovagug himself that was imprisoned in Golarion.

Which is primarily why I'm interested in finding out more about the gap.

Golarion disappearing is one thing...but where the hell is Rovagug? Did he break out? The thought is pretty interesting and kind of invites dread.

Answer is probably a lot more benign than that.

"No, its fine. We just moved Golarion to another galaxy for safe keeping. Yeah, Rovagug is still sealed."

One of the Starfinder gods is The Devourer, which is symbolized by the accretion disk of a black hole. The Devourer has basically Rovagug's profile of wanting to end the universe. Some have speculated that it is Rovagug reaching out spiritually from wherever it is trapped.

The Dead Suns adventure path goes into fair detail about this fuckstick's cult.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Those that chose some of the end game branching Mythic Paths, what class/path did you come from? Was it awkward storywise or character concept-wise? Just how late in the game is it?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Those that chose some of the end game branching Mythic Paths, what class/path did you come from? Was it awkward storywise or character concept-wise? Just how late in the game is it?

The late game Mythic Paths come in late. Like, the actual last act of the game late. So there's not a whole lot that can be done with them, because there just isn't any time.

I went Demon into Gold Dragon, which kind of works story-wise as a character falling into darkness grabbing hold of their last chance at redemption and then wanting to spread that redemption to others. But you mostly gotta make that story up in your own head because the game sure won't.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    AHHHHHHHH!!

You see, in Starfinder, you can just have Space (X), where X is just a normal version of X that's been carried up into space. A Space Goblin for instance, is just an ordinary Pathfinder goblin who hates all writing because they think that it steals thoughts out of their heads etc who is on an asteroid or planet or something. Someplace that isn't their normal Golarion habitat.

Or you can have (X), Space (and yes I bolded the Comma), pronounced "X comma Space", is a version of that noun that has been adapted and molded from its original form to be suitable for space. A Goblin, Space is a fiendishly smart, literate little molotov-throwing anarchist with a knack for hijacking Ships, Space (because a Space Ship is just a fuckin triple master in orbit) and are often packing mean little self-made flame-spouting pistols called horseroasters.
    Goblins can read in Starfinder?

Thats one of the first signs of the apocalypse.

That sounds a lil too op to be honest.

Goblins would already probably reproduce out of control if they had a planet or two to themselves, actually making them smart and still chaotic evil on top of that would make them one of the greatest threats in the universe.

Unless Starfinder was the start of the family friendly goblin era where they stopped eating babies and became a slightly civilized core in 2e pathfinder.

(Main reason I want Owlcat to move to 2e! )

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AHHHHHHHH!!

That sounds a lil too op to be honest.

Goblins would already probably reproduce out of control if they had a planet or two to themselves, actually making them smart and still chaotic evil on top of that would make them one of the greatest threats in the universe.

Unless Starfinder was the start of the family friendly goblin era where they stopped eating babies and became a slightly civilized core in 2e pathfinder.

(Main reason I want Owlcat to move to 2e! :D )

Since SF is after PF2 in the chronology, there's no reason to expect that they are uncivilized. There are a lot of problems with space goblin gangs and scavengers on Absolon Station in SF, but a space goblin walking down the street isn't going to cause a panic or anything. They freely mingle in society; my home tabletop game features one as a reality TV star.

Space Goblins aren't core PCs but we've been able to play them since Alien Archive 1.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Draco, what kind of weapons are there in Starfinder?

Laser shotguns? Laser miniguns? Lightsabers? LIGHTAXES?

Theres so much here I can't wait to sink my teeth into.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Draco, what kind of weapons are there in Starfinder?

Laser shotguns? Laser miniguns? Lightsabers? LIGHTAXES?

Yes.

9t26x4krsx4a.jpg
    This is Obozaya, one of the Starfinder Society pregenerated characters. She has a red star plasma doshko, which is basically a lightaxe.

There are essentially shotguns and automatic versions of all energy type weapons.

Edit: There's even shotgun gloves, though I'm not sure the artist understood the assignment...

gmzmjc7dyqdb.jpg

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Starship combat is one of Starfinder's biggest problems. It's tedious and only increases the more ships there are.

And that ignores that the original release version was literally impossible at higher levels since the PCs could not get enough bonuses to succeed at the skill checks (the first set of errata fixed it somewhat).

It's also something Owlcat could theoretically improve on.

• Options
    Starship combat is one of Starfinder's biggest problems. It's tedious and only increases the more ships there are.

And that ignores that the original release version was literally impossible at higher levels since the PCs could not get enough bonuses to succeed at the skill checks (the first set of errata fixed it somewhat).

It's also something Owlcat could theoretically improve on.

Yeah, starship combat is not great. I much prefer the ground game, though a lot of the problem is that roles are pretty well defined and there aren't that many actions for each role, so you spend most of your time waiting to just roll to see if you do the thing you have been doing all combat. For a single player game this is much less of a problem because you're never really just sitting around waiting on your turn.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    ”This is not a Starfinder game.” - Official_Paizo on Reddit

So either this whole discussion is moot, or there’s been some sort of communication snafu.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    ”This is not a Starfinder game.” - Official_Paizo on Reddit

So either this whole discussion is moot, or there’s been some sort of communication snafu.

Between this and that weird screenshot with vesk in it from an Owlcat partner studio, this has been a lot of smoke for no fire.

I wonder if they're doing Iron Gods instead...they were hinting at the Technic League being a bigger player in Kingmaker. I don't think you actually go into space in that AP though...isn't it mostly crashed spaceships and whatnot?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Aww man..

I have no what Pathfinder campaign that could correlate to then.

Iron Gods is the only one I know of that could be close and theres nothing space related in it other than crashed space ships which the advanced tech is salvaged from.

Website has the whole scifi font thing going and everything, I was sure it was Starfinder.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Aww man..

Iron Gods is the only one I know of that could be close and theres nothing space related in it other than crashed space ships which the advanced tech is salvaged from.

Website has the whole scifi font thing going and everything, I was sure it was Starfinder.

Reign of Winter has some travel to other planets, but I wouldn't expect a space screenshot for that.

• Options
    Aww man..

Reign of Winter has some travel to other planets, but I wouldn't expect a space screenshot for that.
    Sounds like Owlcat has a strong dislike of Reign of Winter So I wouldn't get my hopes up for that one getting adapted anytime soon.

• Options
    It could be not a Paizo product at all...like I think EA lost the exclusive rights to Star Wars, so it could be a Star Wars RPG...which would be a kick in the pants for Paizo for them to do a different space IP, but extremely understandable for Owlcat.

Anyway, back to AP speculation...Shattered Stars has Lovecraft mythos stuff...nominally from space...

• Options
    Aww man..

Sounds like Owlcat has a strong dislike of Reign of Winter So I wouldn't get my hopes up for that one getting adapted anytime soon.

As much as I personally like Reign of Winter, it's pretty polarizing and I can definitely see how a Russian owned studio would have issues with it.

If it's another 1st edition AP, I'm kind of hoping for Iron Gods.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Owlcat have earned a lot of trust (yes, never ending bugs and all) with me so I'm still excited to see what comes next even if its a new IP.

Got absorbed into Kingmaker and Wrath in a way I haven't felt since I first discovered Bethesda's open world games. It was magical finally getting to have that feeling again after so many years.

Spent hundreds of hours in both games and it just flew. Hell, I'm still currently doing multiple runs of Wrath.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    For me it's kinda the opposite. I play their games when I can get them cheap, but after playing Kingmaker I trust Owlcat with nothing whatsoever when it comes to game mechanics.

I just don't really have a lot of options when it comes to baldursgates until the new actual Baldur's Gate comes out.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Glass Cannon podcast have finally finished the Giantslayer campaign. I think it took them seven years. Seven years.

Jesus. Is that normal if you only play like an hour and some change a week?

Dr. Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.