As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    That reminds me: I somehow still don't own a Hollander sculpt; it's been on my 2nd tier list for a while now, and I can't believe I haven't gotten one.

What do you guys think are the odds it'll be a part of one of the upcoming new Force Packs, or the Kickstarter in the fall?

I really hope it will be too, they seem like they are pretty good about casting a wide net on popular mechs and representative weight/roles. Hollander seems like it fits in the big gun and lightly armored vs. the big gun and beefy Hunchback.

...but who knows...

l7n41RV.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I have a brewing problem.

There’s this guy, who I’m going to call This Guy. He’s the one who got my brother and I back into battletech in a big way, which is great! He ran the Mechwarrior Rpg for a while for us which was nice of him, but we got bored and This Guy wasn’t really doing a good job, or putting forth much of any effort. It was basically a shallow narrative vehicle for his wet dream girl stand in character to run around and dominate the Inner Sphere.

We’ve since gone to standard “build a force and smash them together” BT and it’s been okay so far. The major standing issue is that This Guy builds tall, ridiculously so. He always runs 0/0 pilots in direct fire mechs. ERPPCs and Gauss are going to be on every single mech he runs. His entire play style is to sit far away and roll tiny to-hits; tactically, this is actually shit play. He doesn’t win games because he a) can’t really claim or defend objectives and b) let’s any teammates he’s with take the punishment, so if it’s a game that comes down to counting destroyed BV he’ll lose.

This is boring as sin. Every single game comes down to him knocking mechs down with zero effort. The light mechs I ran? Useless. My brother’s picks were also useless, just less so, but he ran a Griffin and Axman and they just got shot to pieces. But we won, and scanned all the objectives before he could kill all of us.

This Guy, after killing two of my mechs in one turn, proclaimed without prompting that “I love 0/0 pilots. My family makes everyone use 3/4 pilots to even things out and it’s the worst.” So he’s against the house rule meant to fix this exact problem. Great.

So the problem isn’t that This Guy dominates every game, it’s that the game warps entirely around him. It becomes a generic shoot fest devoid of anything interesting happening. He’s having a blast! We aren’t.

This would have already been solved if This Guy was an asshole but he’s not, so we can’t just “hey, play this way or get gone” our way out of this.

I have some ideas on how to deal with this, but I’d like to hear some thoughts from people who’ve dealt with this or similar issues. We don’t want This Guy gone, to be clear, that’s not a goal here. We’re just looking to find some ways to maybe help cool his jets a bit.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    If you're all Adults, and he's not an asshole, have a candid conversation about how the games have been and how his choices have impacted that. Hopefully, he comes around once it's explained to him. Remember, his fun should not come at your expense, and if he's Not An Asshole he should come to realize that.

Perhaps try setting up some historical scenario based play, where the OpFor lists are already picked out? Force everyone to play out of their comfort zone.
    If he still refuses, then it's time to break out the Very Dense Terrain maps until he realizes he needs flexibility in his builds to even play the game.

Yes, this is a passive-aggressive dick move, that I don't wholly endorse.[/ spoiler]

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The Adult Conversation would have happened if we hadn’t just had an Adult Conversation two weeks ago re: dropping the RPG. :smiley:

I think we’re going to try suggesting a low-tech, low-value game and see how it pans out, and if any problems arise from there.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    If that doesn't work, go Death Commando. Fire, smoke, Thunder-augmented, semi-guided LRMs, VTOLs, and artillery.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Urban. Maps.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Urbanmechs only.

Fixed it for ya.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    If you're all Adults, and he's not an asshole, have a candid conversation about how the games have been and how his choices have impacted that. Hopefully, he comes around once it's explained to him. Remember, his fun should not come at your expense, and if he's Not An Asshole he should come to realize that.

Perhaps try setting up some historical scenario based play, where the OpFor lists are already picked out? Force everyone to play out of their comfort zone.
    If he still refuses, then it's time to break out the Very Dense Terrain maps until he realizes he needs flexibility in his builds to even play the game.

Yes, this is a passive-aggressive dick move, that I don't wholly endorse.[/ spoiler]

Given that he apparently doesn't actually care if he loses every game and even his own family doesn't put up with it, I feel it's going to fall on deaf ears.

Are these games being balanced by BV? A 0/0 pilot is a 2.42x multiplier on BV so his side should have a mech and a half disadvantage from the outset. And you can set the BV allowance low enough to make that disadvantage worse or even make bringing that combo impossible. But the nearly game breaking rolls you get with a 0/0 pilot is why you normally don't see such pilots outside of "legendary" NPC characters (Kerensky, Allard, etc) in scenarios or really long campaigns with a not insignificant amount of luck to keep them alive that long.

Besides going with maps that restrict sight lines with terrain to neuter the range advantage, you could add environmental effects to the map such as fires (impenetrable smoke) or low clouds (visibility is restricted to for example one or two hexes if standing on terrain at height 2+) if they like to park on hills or fog/night (visibility reduced everywhere). Though 0/0 is still a nasty advantage up close. House ruled artillery that get more accurate every turn (bracketing) if they aren't moving would be another way to prevent camping.

But I feel a lot of map/environmental "encouragement" isn't going to accomplish much since they sound like the type of person that in an FPS would be corner camping with a sniper rifle in a remote, irrelevant part of the map to farm personal K/D ratio rather than doing anything to help their team win.

You could also make everyone roll on the random pilot tables to set their skills. You might even do it so the rolls are for each specific mech to prevent him sticking his best random pilot in that mech. Though allowing free assignment of random pilots to mechs does avoid the somewhat illogical case of a 6/6 pilot being in a 100 ton assault. However, given the inheritance aspect of mech ownership in universe, it's also not out of the realm of possibility for that situation to exist. Chances of getting a 0/1 pilot (random 0/0 pilots don't exist) is 0.077% (12 on 2d6 for Elite and 6s on two 1d6 for max skills) and it requires the pilot to be a Clanner for the +1 bonus on the table. An Elite IS pilot caps out at 1/2.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Scorpion tanks. Lots and lots. Whatever BV you're working with bring that many Scorpions. It wouldn't be about winning, just This Guy having to sit there doing nothing for 30+ minutes as you move and attack with a fuck ton of Scoprions might make him think, "gee this isn't fun" and then you can respond with, "yeah dude now you know how we feel".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

Given that he apparently doesn't actually care if he loses every game and even his own family doesn't put up with it, I feel it's going to fall on deaf ears.

Are these games being balanced by BV? A 0/0 pilot is a 2.42x multiplier on BV so his side should have a mech and a half disadvantage from the outset. And you can set the BV allowance low enough to make that disadvantage worse or even make bringing that combo impossible. But the nearly game breaking rolls you get with a 0/0 pilot is why you normally don't see such pilots outside of "legendary" NPC characters (Kerensky, Allard, etc) in scenarios or really long campaigns with a not insignificant amount of luck to keep them alive that long.

Besides going with maps that restrict sight lines with terrain to neuter the range advantage, you could add environmental effects to the map such as fires (impenetrable smoke) or low clouds (visibility is restricted to for example one or two hexes if standing on terrain at height 2+) if they like to park on hills or fog/night (visibility reduced everywhere). Though 0/0 is still a nasty advantage up close. House ruled artillery that get more accurate every turn (bracketing) if they aren't moving would be another way to prevent camping.

But I feel a lot of map/environmental "encouragement" isn't going to accomplish much since they sound like the type of person that in an FPS would be corner camping with a sniper rifle in a remote, irrelevant part of the map to farm personal K/D ratio rather than doing anything to help their team win.

You could also make everyone roll on the random pilot tables to set their skills. You might even do it so the rolls are for each specific mech to prevent him sticking his best random pilot in that mech. Though allowing free assignment of random pilots to mechs does avoid the somewhat illogical case of a 6/6 pilot being in a 100 ton assault. However, given the inheritance aspect of mech ownership in universe, it's also not out of the realm of possibility for that situation to exist. Chances of getting a 0/1 pilot (random 0/0 pilots don't exist) is 0.077% (12 on 2d6 for Elite and 6s on two 1d6 for max skills) and it requires the pilot to be a Clanner for the +1 bonus on the table. An Elite IS pilot caps out at 1/2.

We properly account for BV during our games.

I'm definitely looking into tactical solutions, and I'm already workshopping ideas. So thanks for these suggestions, and for others.

You say random pilot tables; where can I find those?

I believe Total Warfare has 'em.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I believe Total Warfare has 'em.

Page 273

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    If he's going direct fire cheese why not just bring a force that's entirely indirect fire spam?

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    If he's going direct fire cheese why not just bring a force that's entirely indirect fire spam?

That’s likely my first strategy. Just need to figure out what combination of mechs and pilots makes the most sense. Do I want TAG? NARC? Etc. It’s an interesting puzzle.

That’s likely my first strategy. Just need to figure out what combination of mechs and pilots makes the most sense. Do I want TAG? NARC? Etc. It’s an interesting puzzle.

Actual TAG doesn't work for indirect LRMs in TT, only in MWO.

But yeah I'd go with at least some of that, and a mech with NARC will let you pop em then disengage

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular

But yeah I'd go with at least some of that, and a mech with NARC will let you pop em then disengage

I mean if you're going to go for indirect, do it with gusto.

Bring a CPLT-C5.

(yes, you could bring a Naga for a little more BV, but this way you get a little bit of surprise when you just put the Catapult down on the table)

Ahem.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Semi-Guided_LRM

Ahem.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Semi-Guided_LRM

Somewhere deep down I knew those existed. I'm actually quite happy they do.

However, the larger point in favor of NARC still stands. A TAGger is gonna be exposed and gonna have a bad time.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    3lknupiv53291.jpg

l7n41RV.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    My secret shame is that I do not have a shame pile currently.

I really need to change that, but I'm a weird one that needs to come up with some fluff first then the force. Still kicking around ideas.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    3lknupiv53291.jpg

Months. pfft.

What is this I don't even.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Speaking of not touching the pile of shame for months, I painted an Awesome. How did that mechwarrior get ahold of an Awesome, and why does he want to work for a poorly managed, no-name periphery merc company that is barely keeping itself in the black? No idea. We don't ask questions, we give orders and we sign checks:

fhy6spfyrsbl.jpg

I ended up really liking this scheme, and although I like the idea of a mercenary company filled with mechs with disparate paintjobs, part of me kinda wishes I had painted them all like this because I think they would look neat. Now I just have three more mechs to paint and all of the IS stuff I have (just the Beginner and AGoAC boxes) will be finished.
    Axen wrote: »
    My secret shame is that I do not have a shame pile currently.

I really need to change that, but I'm a weird one that needs to come up with some fluff first then the force. Still kicking around ideas.

Ha, I did the exact opposite. I just started painting mechs and assumed I'd figure out the rest later. I have the Clan Invasion and Wolves Dragoons boxes that I am going to paint up as an actual clan force, but I don't know which one yet. I am kinda tempted to do half as Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy (green/white/yellow) and half Diamond Shark Omega Galaxy (green/white/red) though.

My not-quite-secret shame is that I keep fucking buying stuff.

It's like, look, I know there's more boxes coming down the line! And another Kickstarter! And I've got all this backlog *waves arms frantically into the background*! I should be responsible, and stop buying stuff!

But here I am, over the last two months having bought enough for a Society Sept (three 'Mechs and six ProtoMechs, plus the Stormcrow Z I'm working on) because IWM's prices were going to up. And then I bought a Lance of Combine 'Mechs off eBay because I got offered a cheap deal! And now I'm actively pursuing a Star of late Dark-Age Clan Wolf models on eBay because they're also going to end up super cheap! And then there's a listing out there for four blisters of ProtoMechs, currently bidding at 1/4 of retail price, that I can't take my eyes off of! Kerensky help me!

FMB! (Eff My Backlog)

While we're on the subject of clan mechs, the Annihilator is the dumbest looking mech I have ever seen. It looks like an upright panda bear with a beer gut.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

It's like, look, I know there's more boxes coming down the line! And another Kickstarter! And I've got all this backlog *waves arms frantically into the background*! I should be responsible, and stop buying stuff!

But here I am, over the last two months having bought enough for a Society Sept (three 'Mechs and six ProtoMechs, plus the Stormcrow Z I'm working on) because IWM's prices were going to up. And then I bought a Lance of Combine 'Mechs off eBay because I got offered a cheap deal! And now I'm actively pursuing a Star of late Dark-Age Clan Wolf models on eBay because they're also going to end up super cheap! And then there's a listing out there for four blisters of ProtoMechs, currently bidding at 1/4 of retail price, that I can't take my eyes off of! Kerensky help me!

FMB! (Eff My Backlog)

Some collect stamps, some collect videogames, some collect dolls, and some collect baseball cards. You collect BattleMechs. We're not here to judge, but enable you to collect more till you have more than anyone else we know.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've half a mind to post the collection of my Sunday game's host. He's got several curio cabinets full of minis and terrain including a couple shelves of awesome painted BT.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    One more mech down

413zs9yyg3ms.jpg

We Crazy Taxi now

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Lamenter-pult!

website_header.jpg
    edited June 2022
    Ianator wrote: »
    I've half a mind to post the collection of my Sunday game's host. He's got several curio cabinets full of minis and terrain including a couple shelves of awesome painted BT.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. By comparison I'm small time, there's guys that have been at this hard even through the lean years, with regiment on regiment on regiment on display shelves. There was a thread on the official forums once that was "Show me your Brian Caches", and some of the collections pictured were honestly flabbergasting.

Speaking of.....*sigh*

2xoSPkRh.jpeg

It was a really good series of deals, really!

Nips on
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

FMB! (Eff My Backlog)

Some collect stamps, some collect videogames, some collect dolls, and some collect baseball cards. You collect BattleMechs. We're not here to judge, but enable you to collect more till you have more than anyone else we know.

Yeah. We're more like Moe's Tavern than the AA.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Scorpion tanks. Lots and lots. Whatever BV you're working with bring that many Scorpions. It wouldn't be about winning, just This Guy having to sit there doing nothing for 30+ minutes as you move and attack with a fuck ton of Scoprions might make him think, "gee this isn't fun" and then you can respond with, "yeah dude now you know how we feel".

You could be a bigger asshole by taking nothing but warrior attack helicopters. BV is almost the same, they have less punch on their main weapon and they're much harder to hit so the game is even longer and shittier.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    While we're on the subject of clan mechs, the Annihilator is the dumbest looking mech I have ever seen. It looks like an upright panda bear with a beer gut.

Oh sweet summer child, you know nothing of dumb looking mechs:
    CCG_Unlimited_Imp.jpg?timestamp=20100703221826
    The Imp

315px-6rz8q0j7olbcusa3a0mx95rmmkomwlo.jpg?timestamp=20061003032158
    The vulcan

20-944.jpg
    The yeoman

s-l400.jpg
    The jackrabbit.

4 mechs, 4 weight classes all so much worse.

edited June 2022
    I tried to paint a ComStar mech last night. It... didn't work. Luckily I was able to strip it with just hot water and an old toothbrush since the paint hadn't fully set yet. Bogus.

I was going to prime my Clan mechs today, but the weather report says its supposed to rain all day. Double bogus.

I've been working my way through the animated series and finished it last night as well. Its very Saturday Morning, but the fact that they added it as a canon anti-clanner propaganda TV show within the universe, as well as Malthus being furious about his unflattering portrayal, is absolutely hilarious to me.

SmokeStacks on
    Y’all calling the Annihilator goofy until your objective is on the other side of one.

Speaking of which

We’re lowering the BV for this Wednesday’s scrap to 8k

Guess how many high skill annihilators I can fit in that? It’s two.

I’m gonna out cheese the cheese man. Show up his boring-ass mild cheddar with some class gouda.

That’s assuming I’m the solo; we are usually a group of 3, so I might have to work with 4K.

…guess how many normal skilled annihilators I can fit into 4K BV? It’s two.

So I grabbed a copy of PseudoTech, to see if the Power Ups they've designed might work well with my upcoming Rocket 'Mech League game this coming weekend.

Yeah, I think me and this book are gonna get along just fine:
    Artillery-Delivered Power-Ups: For even more amusement, Power-Ups may be placed during the game via a special, periodical (perhaps once every 3 turns or so) random delivery from via an actual off-board artillery weapon attack. To ensure that the shot always scatters, use an effective Gunnery Skill of 8 for this off-board strike, and enjoy the hilarity that ensues. Power-Ups that scatter off-board are, of course, lost to all players (and the artillery gunner is slapped lightly upside the head).

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I feel like about 5% of those the power up box should open to a Thunder minefield

I went ahead and got over the disaster my Night Star paint job turned out to be, and made some real basic Star League boys.

And for penance, here's the poor Night Star.

Honestly, the major differences were a) MUCH better priming job b) less tiny detail and color variance and c) darker colors.

Now I need to figure out what mech gets the Oosik treatment.

Just do what I do when I screw up a paintjob and say its Blanchitsu. You've got a steady hand, the edges on the checkers on the Night Star are super clean. I always struggle with painting a straight line.

What is the name of the mech in the middle? He looks like he's gonna give someone the clamps.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Crab.

edited June 2022
    Woooo! The MUL is starting to get updates for the ilClan era!

Time to dive in head first and see what weirdness lie out there...

[Edit] Oh baby!
    "Star League (Clan Wolf)"
    "Star League (Clan Jade Falcon)"
    "Star League (Clan Smoke Jaguar)"

Nips on