As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    My performance has been solid this league, but GGG does seem to have a weird habit of tanking performance for various hardware setups each league. I finally turned global illumination back on and it actually runs great, but it was definitely causing all kinds of terrible hitching with some encounters in previous leagues. The dice rolls just seem to have favored me for once I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aaand we have another round of Archnemesis nerfs, this time more targeted ones. Hooray for no invulnerable monsters in Blight anymore, and Ritual should be less terrible too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    That is good. It was a bottom tier implementation. No benefit and all the not thinking it through. One of the worst things they have done really. I know many will think I am overdoing it but /shrug. It really was not fun. It was clearly not thought through/tested. And unless you were in a distinct minority it halted your play. It also did not synergize with the league mechanic at all. It meant it halted your use of the sentinels at certain points too or just created times where it killed you and you were left with unkillable mobs.

Reading through the nerfs though there are still some very bad spots in places. Metamorph is still probably a death trap for example.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Metamorph has been a death trap since it came out

• Options
    edited May 2022
    It was at least doable. Having every body part be an archnem mod to make it to 100% commonly is just really bad.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    If you select the same mod I don't think they stack.
    I did Gargantuan x 4 and it wasn't horrible.
    I wouldn't put that thing that makes the lightning death obelisks though.

Changes look good, but maybe not far enough?
    Toxic still doesn't look far enough. It really doesn't feel good opening a strongbox and dying and then noticing that a magic pack of toxic monsters died.
    At least the changes help me see why I was dying/minions being deleted on some of these packs. Did they really need to counter attack with lightning mirages?

As an aside, this has to be the worst league for animated guardian ever.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I also turned off Legion too heh. The additional stupid thing with metamorph was that even if you had got lucky with the body parts it still would summon cancer rares commonly. So you were fucked either way. Yes I could turn it off I know. But I enjoyed legion and even metaporph to over say heist and to some degree alva.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Heh I am ignoring all the masters. Alva I can kill the architects but haven't been able to drop a stone yet because the monsters are too tanky. The beasts and betrayal guys did not need archnem mods.

Also Invulnerable monsters are boring and small.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I've been distracted with other stuff so didn't really hit the ground running completely with my league start, buuut sometimes not playing at all is a great way to farm currency for your build enabling item:

llspypx1tw2p.png

~80c drop in one day, hooray!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    A Devouring Diadem and two breachstones made pure was enough for a decent +1 amulet and a second CIP, giving my Exsanguinate and Seismic gems some real oomph. Now I can farm t15 and 16 maps no problem while improving my other gear.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    That is good. It was a bottom tier implementation. No benefit and all the not thinking it through. One of the worst things they have done really. I know many will think I am overdoing it but /shrug. It really was not fun. It was clearly not thought through/tested. And unless you were in a distinct minority it halted your play. It also did not synergize with the league mechanic at all. It meant it halted your use of the sentinels at certain points too or just created times where it killed you and you were left with unkillable mobs.

Reading through the nerfs though there are still some very bad spots in places. Metamorph is still probably a death trap for example.

It's the laziest implementation possible, because it was basically just moving some lookup values in a table to implement.

I was specced full metamorph almost all of last league and it wasn't too bad. Blight, on the other hand, fully specced is some of the most dangerous content in the game.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Beat Metroid and Heats Flamesman on the first invitations deathless, but no fun drops. Now on to taking care of all the Maven invitations etc.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I gotta say, there are a lot more "feels bad" moments in this game since the change. Got through a particularly nasty delve to get killed by some on the floor shit or corpse explode I couldn't see. Bricked on my first blight on a new character... I don't mind difficulty, but getting killed after everything is dead and I'm wiping the sweat off my brow is a bit... Fuckin' lame.

• Options
    I gotta say, there are a lot more "feels bad" moments in this game since the change. Got through a particularly nasty delve to get killed by some on the floor shit or corpse explode I couldn't see. Bricked on my first blight on a new character... I don't mind difficulty, but getting killed after everything is dead and I'm wiping the sweat off my brow is a bit... Fuckin' lame.

Yeah I've been progressing fairly well, but there are definitely more confusingly immortal enemies or at least incredibly resilient ones that pop up that make things feel strange. My skelly mages are supposed to pierce all elemental resistances for at least 4 seconds after summon (and generally longer), but I ran into a couple of magic monsters that just said "resist elemental damage" and seemed to be taking 0 damage for like 20 seconds. It was a mess of projectiles and vaal skeletons but there were only 2, they wouldn't die for a really long time, then suddenly decided they would be okay with dying and went from max health to death quickly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I made it to like level 4 before I decided yeah this game isn't for me right now
    It just feels ass to even try to play it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh4vN_zUPU

new Big Brain Helmet MTX grows and glows as your Int goes up

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    oh wait there's also a strength one, the Maroider body armor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mRddkHUU4

• Options
    I am still enjoying myself, having shut off Rituals, Metamorphs and Harvest and gathering stuff from other content, but boy does it feel like a bit of a slog charging up the Maven and Eldritch invitations, looking for Conqueror and Elder servant maps etc. There is definitely a bit too much stuff to think about. I haven't even tried the recombinators yet because I really doubt I'll get anything useful. I definitely need to upgrade my gear a bit but my drops have slowed.

• Options
    My atlas is into all the stuff I hate until I clear the challenges

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    only just started playing doing an ssf mana melee occultist or something

just used a bonus empowerment sentinel on normal izaro who had all his mechanics and uh

it set his hp to full

hardest boss fight ive done in poe in 5 years took 10 minutes i have no damage nodes

a++ league

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, I made that mistake in my first lab. Like, I knew it set enemies' health back to full, but I somehow forgot izaro starts at half health in the 3rd fight. Shit took forever.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Trying to play stuff I haven't before. Saw someone using sweep in a gif and thought it looked pretty neat, then remembered thinking that before and finding out it was crazy bugged to the point of missing half of the enemies it should hit. But apparently someone finally got that fact in front of a programmer with a reddit thread and it was fixed in 3.16?

So I poked around and found an old build I could work from and now I'm working on a cold sweep elementalist that'll use voidforge in theory but be alright with like, whatever decent unique or rare.

That made me decide to look at other popular melee things I'd not messed with or only tried as a level 1 gem without proper supports, saw some later-game reave play and that looked neat too. A few tweaks and my cold sweep elementalist will run that with no problems, so I won't level something separate for it. Might turn my brain off and farm an oni-goroshi while I watch tv or something for that.

I'm also looking at explosive trap, not for the first time, and thinking that basically tossing grenades everywhere seems fun. I tried a mine build once and hated it but I think I mostly hated detonating them. Guess I should see if there's a better trap I'd like as much aesthetically. Huh...gameplay-wise I'm not sure what makes it all that different from storm burst. Oh, wait, you can kite better when the time comes to lame it out. That's certainly not nothing. Storm burst looks cooler though.

I've never been able to stick to an arc build or any sort of projectiles-go-fucking-everywhere build long enough to really enjoy them as they should be, so maybe I should try to do that again. I remember enjoying running around just spamming Oblique Shot in Tree of Savior, so I'd probably have fun once anything like that got online.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm running a Fire Trapper right now, started as Explosive Trap but got a Nycta's Lantern that ended up pushing me to FT. It's fun, I really like FT over ET since it makes a field of death that makes adds just die.

Usual caveats with traps, they have that short arm delay (that you can get down with jewels/gear) which can get you dead every now and then. I run double Lightning Golem to help keep me aware of threats and tie stuff up for a moment.

Edit: Almost anything I play that's self cast and not channeled is getting smashed and feels slow, curious if anyone has some tips for making a melee build. I have a DW Cyclone/Dual Strike guy who does well, but since the AN change he just gets his face smashed in by certain things. Are there some key "you really want X unique/noteable" in Maraurder based melee builds? I feel like I'm missing something (other than the obvious need to get good).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Edit: Almost anything I play that's self cast and not channeled is getting smashed and feels slow, curious if anyone has some tips for making a melee build. I have a DW Cyclone/Dual Strike guy who does well, but since the AN change he just gets his face smashed in by certain things. Are there some key "you really want X unique/noteable" in Maraurder based melee builds? I feel like I'm missing something (other than the obvious need to get good).

global AN is just a big fuck-you to melee ;p 3.18 is so ridiculous on many levels. sometimes, you just have to run away or log out.
    I don't feel bad about going totems this time around because passive damage is all that matters in Path of Dodging.
    it's just inevitable that you'll die to things you don't see.

i'm pretending that this league is just an extended Gauntlet event and it's not so bad. some side content is just comically pointless with the AN modspam (like Blight, Temple, Delve...)

Every Single Time i've hit the sentinel button on an area boss or map-boss i've only regretted the time it wasted. those hit point pools are just a cruel joke.
    got An Apex Sentinel that gives 10 seconds of diamond shrine when you activate it, and it's like.. gee, great. maybe 100 seconds would actually make it worth hitting the button ;p

Xantus on
  • Options
    Do you guys ever get those immortal lightning obelisks chasing you? Like 0 monsters remaining they just follow you around the map forever?

Really annoying.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Do you guys ever get those immortal lightning obelisks chasing you? Like 0 monsters remaining they just follow you around the map forever?

Really annoying.

Bug. I assume GGG will fix it at some point.

• Options
    Yeah it has happened to me too. One of the many bugs as usual in league.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Heralding Minions is a pretty bad and dumb rare mod anyway, maybe when they fix that bug they'll dumpster the entire thing.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Wish controller and KBAM kept their own settings so I could swap back and forth on a whim without it being a pain.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Wish controller and KBAM kept their own settings so I could swap back and forth on a whim without it being a pain.

The settings are probably saved in a config file. A couple of copies you can switch between. Still a pita, but less than a full remap.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I felt like maybe my wrists were feeling ok enough to play PoE a little so I took about three whole minutes to look around for the first build that made me go "hey that sounds neat" and now I'm playing a HC poison Helix Assassin (eventually Molten Strike) and I got through to Act 8 in a single sitting. Playing a bit slow because I'm out of practice and there's so much new stuff and its Hardcore and also I am really worried about my wrists.

Why is it 4am where did the night go?

PoE is still a pretty fun game.

It's kind of felt like relearning the game. I noticed that things were a little tankier than normal for the first few acts, once I did lab and swapped to my actual build (poison) from leveling skills that stopped being a thing, except sometimes I hit the red or blue buttons and things survive for a second longer which makes sense. Sentinel seems neat, even just the "press the button to interact" Layer 1 part of the mechanic feels good and the biggest problem is remembering to do it. Supposedly the item crafting Layer 3 part is extremely strong if you learn how to use it right. Evolving the Sentinels using power cores made like zero sense to me reading about it, then the first time I did it I went "oh of course" and I've got one super juicy little guy waiting for another good one to combine with later.

I didn't play last league for RSI reasons so I didn't have much experience with Archnemesis, other than sometimes taking a few extra seconds to kill they've just kind of been like normal rares. I guess the first week of tuning fixed them. I noticed that the modifiers in early acts are super basic, and more dangerous ones get introduced as you level so you have time to adapt if you're paying attention and not watching Netflix on the other screen or whatever.

I did early delving just to burn off sulphite and upgrade the cap, things started getting a little hectic with the Archnem mods popping off but it was low level so it taught me to watch out for that later and build for it. Sentinel works in Delve (I mean why wouldn't it?) and I don't think there's been a league mechanic that functions down there - without being a special node encounter - since ... I guess technically since Delve was introduced to the game. That's weird! But also it's perfect for Delve and also makes things spicy if your damage can't keep up with a bunch of hulked-out rares chasing you.

Leveling is still pretty easy but I'm enjoying it more than usual, I haven't tried Helix before and it feels extremely strong mechanically, I used a level 40 claw right through to 60 and every boss just melted. Doing the usual HC thing of picking defensive passives and auras and nothing's been all that dangerous. Assassin isn't the tankiest class but all the defensive reworks from 3.16 and some of the new uniques from this league and 3.17 make it look like it's possible to shore up just about anything with decent gear and HC-oriented build choices.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I'm kinda feeling
    I felt like maybe my wrists were feeling ok enough to play PoE a little so I took about three whole minutes to look around for the first build that made me go "hey that sounds neat" and now I'm playing a HC poison Helix Assassin (eventually Molten Strike) and I got through to Act 8 in a single sitting. Playing a bit slow because I'm out of practice and there's so much new stuff and its Hardcore and also I am really worried about my wrists.

Why is it 4am where did the night go?

PoE is still a pretty fun game.

It's kind of felt like relearning the game. I noticed that things were a little tankier than normal for the first few acts, once I did lab and swapped to my actual build (poison) from leveling skills that stopped being a thing, except sometimes I hit the red or blue buttons and things survive for a second longer which makes sense. Sentinel seems neat, even just the "press the button to interact" Layer 1 part of the mechanic feels good and the biggest problem is remembering to do it. Supposedly the item crafting Layer 3 part is extremely strong if you learn how to use it right. Evolving the Sentinels using power cores made like zero sense to me reading about it, then the first time I did it I went "oh of course" and I've got one super juicy little guy waiting for another good one to combine with later.

I didn't play last league for RSI reasons so I didn't have much experience with Archnemesis, other than sometimes taking a few extra seconds to kill they've just kind of been like normal rares. I guess the first week of tuning fixed them. I noticed that the modifiers in early acts are super basic, and more dangerous ones get introduced as you level so you have time to adapt if you're paying attention and not watching Netflix on the other screen or whatever.

I did early delving just to burn off sulphite and upgrade the cap, things started getting a little hectic with the Archnem mods popping off but it was low level so it taught me to watch out for that later and build for it. Sentinel works in Delve (I mean why wouldn't it?) and I don't think there's been a league mechanic that functions down there - without being a special node encounter - since ... I guess technically since Delve was introduced to the game. That's weird! But also it's perfect for Delve and also makes things spicy if your damage can't keep up with a bunch of hulked-out rares chasing you.

Leveling is still pretty easy but I'm enjoying it more than usual, I haven't tried Helix before and it feels extremely strong mechanically, I used a level 40 claw right through to 60 and every boss just melted. Doing the usual HC thing of picking defensive passives and auras and nothing's been all that dangerous. Assassin isn't the tankiest class but all the defensive reworks from 3.16 and some of the new uniques from this league and 3.17 make it look like it's possible to shore up just about anything with decent gear and HC-oriented build choices.

Sentinel farming in delve is super juicy; monster density is just so high it's very time efficient. I've done a fair bit of it; you just gotta make sure you don't die, since you get no drops then.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    "Just don't die" is generally how I play Hardcore, yes

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    not dying in hardcore is a scrub move, just shows ur not good enough to speedrun back to ur progress and level in 4-5mins

weak mindset....

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    made it to 81 so far as an iceshot deadeye in SSF .. it's working well. enough decoys so that i almost never die, and ice shot applies fast enough that it thins out the packs before things get ridiculous .. usually.

decided to reroll as a poison BV/Tornado/Siesmic trap assassin. it's working out pretty well, at lvl 68 I did my first map before even doing my 3rd Lab.. it was a Kirac mission for a t5 map (the boss was possessed). it took me 5 portals but i still gained half a level and cleared it, lol.

Tornado seems better this league since there's so much more running away and mobs naturally crowding to the tornado. i should probably pick a better spell than BV now that i'm in maps and steamrollering time is over til i find better gear. I did get lucky with an Embalmer and a Daresso's Courage, which is probably the main thing keeping me alive (plus siphoning trap, my saviour)

i have no idea what i'm doing with my tree , or what the best 3rd ascendancy would be..

• Options
    https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyCogentCrabYouWHY-PSk3qMhH2UUnfTjw

ladies and gentlemen

we are mageblood gamers now

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    not dying in hardcore is a scrub move, just shows ur not good enough to speedrun back to ur progress and level in 4-5mins

weak mindset....

quick edit: this post isn't about what you said it just got me thinking about why I play HC and how people try to use the HC experience (that they don't play) to justify demanding changes to the game

I have read a lot of opinions saying things like "this patch is awful for HC everything is so rippy"

and I'm like

I would have zero interest in this game if you never had any sense of risk, never had any incentive to get smarter and better and prepare to take on the next thing

I already don't find softcore interesting. I don't want HC to become "Standard but you only lose your character if you disconnect at the wrong moment"

make the game harder, I'll find ways to succeed anyway. playing janky homebrew builds clearing content that's normally kind of whatever but suddenly becomes high risk is fun. playing meta builds to do insane shit with the ultimate penalty if you screw up is fun

I could play the game where I grind Screaming Invitations until a 1% drop lottery pays out and makes it retroactively fun. or I can play the game where just doing an uber boss one time is an achievement I can work toward all league; even just attempting it and failing is something I can feel proud of

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Releveling is easy if you never go past level 10. *Taps temple*

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain