As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Also this is how Mechanicus opens and it's so fucking good and I could never get myself to skip it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

Amazing soundtrack too, holy shit.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Yeah you would be surprised how well pipe organs go with cyberpunkish /industrial music.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I mentioned in the XCOM thread, but most 40K games are on sale until June 8 on Steam. You can get Mechanicus and the DLC for $12.

So...probably worthwhile even if you only play through once.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I mentioned in the XCOM thread, but most 40K games are on sale until June 8 on Steam. You can get Mechanicus and the DLC for $12.

DLC worth it for a single playthrough?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Not really, no.

The DLC adds another tech tree and such but it's not necessary, and it just gives you even more missions to pick from while you're dealing with the ticking clock and I don't recommend that for your first run.

On a personal note, I was very annoyed that I bought the DLC, because the game has a native Linux version, which I was playing, but the DLC only runs on Windows, and it took me a while to figure that out and start running the game in Proton. And then after all that struggle, the DLC just kinda sucked.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Pretty good chance the possible companions are in the splash art they've been using.
    The-Warhammer-40000-Rogue-Trader-The-Owlcat-Games-announced-a-new-CRPG.jpeg

That navigator at the back has me really excited - I feel they are underrepresented in the all the fluff

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    edited June 2022
    Pretty good chance the possible companions are in the splash art they've been using.
    A lot of companions were missing from the Kingmaker and WOTR splash art so I wouldn't say thats going to be all of them.

They'll definitely be hiding some of them.

Dr. Chaos on
    Thawmus wrote: »

Not really, no.

The DLC adds another tech tree and such but it's not necessary, and it just gives you even more missions to pick from while you're dealing with the ticking clock and I don't recommend that for your first run.

On a personal note, I was very annoyed that I bought the DLC, because the game has a native Linux version, which I was playing, but the DLC only runs on Windows, and it took me a while to figure that out and start running the game in Proton. And then after all that struggle, the DLC just kinda sucked.

That said, the DLC by itself is $4 right now, so I figure that plus the quality of life updates made since I bounced off the game the first time is probably worthwhile to me.

edited June 2022
    Dark Tide game looks pretty cool too.

Reminds me that I have Vermintide but haven't really played it. I assume this is going to be the 40k version of that.

Dr. Chaos on
    A lot of companions were missing from the Kingmaker and WOTR splash art so I wouldn't say thats going to be all of them.

They'll definitely be hiding some of them.

If we get a Freeboota Speed Freak hireling my life will have meant someghing. I will paint the ship red if I have to!

Thawmus wrote: »
    Also this is how Mechanicus opens and it's so fucking good and I could never get myself to skip it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

Amazing soundtrack too, holy shit.
    If I was looking for a faction in the world of 40K, this would be the moment I would say "I have found my people".

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

That navigator at the back has me really excited - I feel they are underrepresented in the all the fluff

In Rogue Trader they are terrifying. Just open the third eye and everyone in one direction gets smote for a lot of damage.

Sure there might be a wee problem with daemons afterwords but you know, you've got a ship to leave on

edited June 2022
    Hope we can name our ships.

Mine is the S.S. Heresy. < 3

Dr. Chaos on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A few broad notes for those who don't know too much about 40k or maybe just know the memes.

On the macro scale of things yeah everything is awful, there are no good guys and there is absolutely no happy ending for anyone.

On the micro scale though there are are totally great champions, heroic deeds, compassion, etc etc etc. And horror and treachery of course.

Heresy falls in to two broad categories and the specifics are different to different people, but in general;

Religious Heresy: Really only the Ecclesiarchy cares about religious heresy. Though it should be noted that while the Ecclesiarchy is the official state church the Imperium at large doesn't give a shit what brand of Emperor worship people engage in. "We worship the glorious SUN for it is the spirit of the God-Emperor!" Yeah, okay, that's fine. "We pray to our ancestor spirits for they serve He-Upon-The-Throne and through them we commune with the God-Emperor!" Yeah, that's fine too. Basically as long as it isn't a Xenos deity or some warp spawn the Imperium at large doesn't care. The Ecclesiarchy does, but their ability to really do anything about it is kind of limited, most of the time.

State Heresy: This one is really more just "treason" and isn't exactly religiously driven*. The Inquisitions' Ordo Hereticus, while having "heretic" in the name, is more concerned with this style of heresy than religious. In fact they spend a great deal of their time watching the Ecclesiarchy to ensure none of the priests get ambitious ideas (along with anyone else in a position of power). They much more fit the idea of a "secret police" than the other two major Inquisition orders; Ordo Xenos and Ordo Malleus who are primarily concerned with alien threats and daemonic threats respectively.

*The Emperor created the Imperium, the Emperor is a God, anything he creates is Divine, ergo treason is defacto "heresy".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    What is considered "heresy" by the Imperium?

Asking about heresy is heresy

086.png

Phyphor wrote: »

Asking about heresy is heresy

086.png

That's just hearsay.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

Anything an Inquisitor or Commissar doesn't like, basically.

It's sort of the thing with a fascist hellscape - the "out" is whatever the person in power at the moment wants. An Inquisitor could declare your love of pineapple on pizza brands you as a heretic and shoot you, and, like, who's going to argue with him?

Of course, this is also why Rogue Traders get away with a bunch of stuff that is directly against the law and scripture - Rogue Traders have power themselves.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

It's sort of the thing with a fascist hellscape - the "out" is whatever the person in power at the moment wants. An Inquisitor could declare your love of pineapple on pizza brands you as a heretic and shoot you, and, like, who's going to argue with him?

Of course, this is also why Rogue Traders get away with a bunch of stuff that is directly against the law and scripture - Rogue Traders have power themselves.

That's the beauty of the Warhammer setting. It's not just a fascist hellscape where outgroups are persecuted according to the whims of the powerful. It's a fascist hellscape where outgroups are also persecuted due to actual legitimate fears on the part of the powerful. That's what the excessive grimdark nature of the galaxy gets you, a setting where even the horrible excesses of the most puritanical Inquisitor can actually make some sort of sense because the galaxy is just that awful.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    edited June 2022
    Yeah like it's pretty clear that the Emperor of Mankind, when he was alive, like, had some good ideas, and actually wanted good things for humanity.

But if you dig deep enough, he's not a great guy!

#Horuswasright

Also, for the uninitiated, reading wiki articles about the Emperor of Mankind before he was a living corpse on the Golden Throne can be really fascinating. To make the idea as simple to convey as possible: Psychic Vandal Savage.

It's one of the things I really think is funny about 40k, is that they worship this guy as though he were a god, and clearly that's silly, but also, with the power he wields, even in death, he kinda fucking is?

Thawmus on
    daveNYC wrote: »

That's the beauty of the Warhammer setting. It's not just a fascist hellscape where outgroups are persecuted according to the whims of the powerful. It's a fascist hellscape where outgroups are also persecuted due to actual legitimate fears on the part of the powerful. That's what the excessive grimdark nature of the galaxy gets you, a setting where even the horrible excesses of the most puritanical Inquisitor can actually make some sort of sense because the galaxy is just that awful.

In a world where every person with green skin is a soccer hooligan who will cheerfully rip off your arm and beat your significant other to death with it, some racism makes more sense, but at the same time you don't see those orks creating financial/political systems that keep 95% of the population in abject poverty and horrendously unsafe working and living conditions, so maybe the fungal space barbarian has a point?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

In a world where every person with green skin is a soccer hooligan who will cheerfully rip off your arm and beat your significant other to death with it, some racism makes more sense, but at the same time you don't see those orks creating financial/political systems that keep 95% of the population in abject poverty and horrendously unsafe working and living conditions, so maybe the fungal space barbarian has a point?

Now I want a Ciaphas Cain short story where he's captured by Orks and escapes by fomenting a grot uprising.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

why subjugate fellow orks when there's perfectly pre subjugated gretchin and snotlings all over the place?
    Oh yeah, cuz it's fun. Now gimme yer teef before i kick ya hed in!

DanHibiki on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Finally digging into my Oracle/Angel build. 2h builds with stat buffs and power attack are just...silly. I'm rolling 2d6+19 at level 6. Nothing survives a crit.

captaink on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Finally digging into my Oracle/Angel build. 2h builds with stat buffs and power attack are just...silly. I'm rolling 2d6+19 at level 6. Nothing survives a crit.

3s7b370q7l1g.png

edited June 2022

Its one thing to be wary of known hostile alien alliances, its another to have a policy of genocide against anything not human.

Atleast the orks don't pretend they're heroes. They're just giant adorable murder babies.

Dr. Chaos on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

3s7b370q7l1g.png

I've run that build. Okay, the Pathfinder game didn't go long enough to get to +567, but at level 4 when I went all out I was rolling 1d12+41 damage.

PSN|AspectVoid
    I spent over 600-700 hours in Kingmaker and Wrath and I still have no idea how half the rules work.

I spent over 600-700 hours in Kingmaker and Wrath and I still have no idea how half the rules work.

Basically working as intended for late-stage Pathfinder 1E.

@Elvenshae what comic is that from btw?

oh god... you're going to make me find out how old Order of the Stick is... YOU MONSTER!

So how alive is the Emperor really?

Seems like you could poke him with a stick and his head would fall into his lap.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

The Imperium basically started as that most classic setting of british scifi, "the fascist dystopia that is an extremely thinly veiled pisstake at Margaret Thatcher and her people". "An open mind is a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded" is what we might call not subtle. Anything that makes the Commissars and the Lords of Terra less absolute monsters and more people who did What They Had To Do (instead of people who just say they are Doing What They Have To Do) is kind of missing the point in my mind, honestly.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Seems like you could poke him with a stick and his head would fall into his lap.

He is slowly dying but still technically alive just because of how extremely powerful he is . A few weeks a few millennia, the imperium is fucked regardless.

He is a corpse on a chair, that he designed(?), that is keeping him alive.

He found this device in Asia and he has no fucking idea how it got there and he questioned if he even came up with the idea to use it. It's malfunctioning now, and nobody knows how the fuck to fix it, and the one guy who'd maybe have a clue is a corpse now, so good luck!

They have to ritually sacrifice a bunch of psychics (in-game we call them Psykers) every day to keep the machine running. Like, just think about that. They don't just sacrifice a bunch of people, they have to selectively find people who are psychically gifted, and then sacrifice a fuckton of them. Every day.

However!

The Emperor's spirit is still very much alive and his guiding hand is the reason Imperial ships can navigate the webway and achieve FTL. The 40k universe often confers belief and sentiment into actual power, so praying to him and asking him for help can occasionally get you the help you need. He was/is the most powerful Psyker humanity has ever seen, and even in death he's powerful enough to fucking swat shit out of the sky if the need and will is strong enough.

This is also why, if his corpse ever gives out or the Golden Throne makes a last gasp, a lot of very bad things will happen:

1. His spirit will probably become a fucking Chaos Daemon, and an extremely powerful one at that.
    2. Humanity loses FTL and at that point....yeah....goodbye...

edited June 2022
    Oh, and the emperor's soul can be seen burning in the Warp so bright that everyone uses it as a kind of light house while traveling at FTL.
    Also pretty sure they'd be killing the Psykers regardless, what with all of them being potential doorways to hell.

Oh and my favorite grim dark has to be the Schola Progenium
    https://youtu.be/2xkyxITBOjM

BTW check out Adeptus Ridiculous. Great and funny 40k lore channel.

DanHibiki on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

As mentioned, it’s The Order of the Stick, one of the greatest webcomic series ever and a stunning example of how to take a gag-a-day, D&D-rules-joke idea and turn it into a sweeping epic story with actual emotional beats.

https://www.giantitp.com/index.html

Now if only we could convince Mr. Burlew to adopt a more rapid update cadence … although that would hasten the end of all the goodness, I guess. :D

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Oh, and the emperor's soul can be seen burning in the Warp so bright that everyone uses it as a kind of light house while traveling at FTL.
    Also pretty sure they'd be killing the Psykers regardless, what with all of them being potential doorways to hell.

Said lighthouse, the Astronomicon, is the ultimate reason the Emperor's body is kept alive, as without it as a reference point, human Warp navigation would be impossible, as both time, distance and direction are unreliable in the Warp.

I believe there's been some mention of trying to create some kind of replacement, but the setting fiction hasn't progressed to that point yet.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Oculus Imperia is one of the best 40k lore channels and one of the best lore channels in general. All of his videos are done in-character and in-universe and it is incredible. Plus his voice is prefect.

https://youtu.be/jXmEa2SLLMg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited June 2022
    Hellbore wrote: »

Said lighthouse, the Astronomicon, is the ultimate reason the Emperor's body is kept alive, as without it as a reference point, human Warp navigation would be impossible, as both time, distance and direction are unreliable in the Warp.

I believe there's been some mention of trying to create some kind of replacement, but the setting fiction hasn't progressed to that point yet.
    They need to find a replacement so they can do the demon emperor idea. That sounds pretty awesome.

Mankind's beloved God becoming their worst enemy is ripe for a lot of cool storytelling and universe shaking stuff.

Don't know if they would be willing to rock the boat like that though.

Dr. Chaos on
    Hellbore wrote: »

Yeah, they need to find a replacement so they can do the demon emperor idea.

Mankind's beloved God becoming their worst enemy is ripe for a lot of cool storytelling and universe shaking stuff.

Don't know if they would be willing to rock the boat like that though.

I'm not personally sure that Big E becomes a "demon" per se. He's invested too much in humanity to go after them like that, even if they kept him hooked up to an immortality/torture device for 10,000 years. Now, it's more likely that he does become a "daemon," or a warp creature... but he's more of a Law God than a Chaos God, and things get a bit sticky in the afterlife after 20% of the warp becomes orderly and the God-Emperor can personally guide ships to where they need to be. I can just see it... the ship's Gellar Field collapses, and half the crew gets possessed by the souls of space marines from the time of the Heresy that had been standing at the side of their Emperor.

This discussion has been closed.