As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I have a sudden urge to catch up on the anime...

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention in the last post, one, I noticed there's one or two Spanish speaking NPCs in Ultra Moon.. wonder if that's some early early hints at gen 9. Also they didn't change the Ghost trial at all and I am so proud of them for realizing it was already perfect :3

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    New trailer dropped got a few new reveals and the cover legendaries.
    Hope y'all like nature versus technology themes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Lechonk

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Lechonk

Really hoping its evos just get bigger and bigger, so the final form is a giant comically rotund boar.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow. Those are the best box legendaries I have seen in a long time.

I actually like them both a lot!

Color me quite excited!

Curious what's up with their chests, especially the scarlet one, but

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Wheels?

They look like motorbikes with jet engines

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2022

They are motorcycles. Their names even have "ride-on" in them :3 A lot of people think we'll be riding these ala Latias/os in ORAS, etc

And yeah, both the professors and the legendaries have names based on the words for Past and Future (professors = Spanish, legendaries = Japanese)

Edit:

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    man...I think the purple dragon looks good except for the jet feet, that looks...really stupid. I am also not a fan of giant wheel in its chest red guy.
    35w1gi76xoio.png

The vehicle stuff makes them look like off-brand Digimon

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

They are motorcycles. Their names even have "ride-on" in them :3 A lot of people think we'll be riding these ala Latias/os in ORAS, etc

And yeah, both the professors and the legendaries have names based on the words for Past and Future (professors = Spanish, legendaries = Japanese)

Interesting. The theme for Scarlet seems to be prehistory, whereas the theme for Violet appears to be futuristic. I wonder if this'll be an actual theme throughout the two games, or if the differences will be restricted to the Professors and the Legendaries.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Trivia: "Lechón" is Spanish for "suckling pig". Fitting for a first-form pig Pokemon.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there'll be enough differences to make it worth it for me to pick up both?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there'll be enough differences to make it worth it for me to pick up both?

There never will be. And I dont think that is ever the intention.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    At most the differences are to make you lean one way or the other so the player base collectively have access to the separated mons.

Fossil Chasm vs Livewire Tower etc.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Fuecoco is in both versions, so I'm just gonna get whatever version my friends don't. Easy peasy. Also, it's just about time for me to start my customary Pokemon media blackout so that I am as surprised as possible with every wild encounter/evolution. I'm glad I saw the three early game 'mons, because I love both Smolive and Lechonk and with the starters I'm fully convinced the design team is putting out all club bangers this gen.

At most the differences are to make you lean one way or the other so the player base collectively have access to the separated mons.

Fossil Chasm vs Livewire Tower etc.

You know, that has me thinking though. If they are doing multiplayer the Pokemon themselves must be local. Because how does that work when a Scarlet player teams up with a Violet player? I'd have to think each would be seeing their own version-exclusive pokemon in the wild, even though they are together. (I imagine this saves a bunch of headache with syncing too) Gonna be a little weird looking though. I guess similar to BDSP underground where you see rando people just stop somewhere and a little pokeball icon shows above their head for a few minutes while they're catching.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Lechonk

Its rival is Threepwood, a grass Pokemon.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Lechonk should have been a starter.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    Lechonk should have been a starter.

Should have been the pikachu.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    If it's 4P co-op they should have had 4 starters this time.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    YO THAT DRAGON IS A JET I'M SOLD

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Ah, nothing like the heady days between the first trailer for a new Pokémon game and the inevitable announcement that makes it the worst thing ever made.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Ah, nothing like the heady days between the first trailer for a new Pokémon game and the inevitable announcement that makes it the worst thing ever made.

"Sorry, the game's dex includes one less pokemon than Sword and Shield"
    <insert Pokemon fan riots>

Side note, beat Ultra Moon last night. Holy shit that difficulty spike, then difficulty un-spike! I can see why people say not to nuzlocke this game now. "Oh hi Ultra Necrozma! What? You one-shot 4/6 of my team even though they are all 15 levels higher than you? And the ones you don't one shot, you two shot?" followed by a god damn Quiver Dancing Totem Ribombee (after a series of like 5 semi-challenging gym leader re-fights) who one-shots everyone if you let them set up at all (I had to restart here because I was not expecting this and I can only potion/revive stall for so long... and that Blissey constantly healing and buffing was not helping things). Then you get to the elite 4 and my Lilligant sweeps a team of steel types she's not very effective against because Move Tutor = my own Quiver Dance, get rekt (hate that the move tutor is locked behind elite 4 access).

And now there's rainbow rockets and all kinds of shenanigans going on.

As for Ultra Moon's story, man it's weird. I almost don't hate it? They sure as hell went out of their way to subvert expectations if you've played Sun and Moon. "Oh, it's time to get Solgeleo/Lunala... JUST KIDDING super boss fight!" Yeah they definitely un-do a lot of Lusamine stuff and I miss that boss battle a lot, but also this story feels a little more polished? Or maybe it feels more like a Pokemon story? I dunno. But holy shit I feel like this game redeems Hau so much. I never really hated him like I do for Hop but this game kind of makes him awesome? He stops becoming the "oh gosh golly you're so good how could I ever compare to you player?" dumb "friendly rival" and actually grows something of a backbone and takes on leader-ish qualities befitting of a Kahuna's grandson. The scene where he encourages Guzma was pretty great actually! He never becomes the Gary Oak everyone wants all the rivals to be, but for the friendly rival role, at least he becomes an actual rival of sorts.

Anyways, it's been so long but I swear you could start the Zygarde quest before post game too. The credits were just full of rando teasers like "Oh, somethings going on in the post game! Go check it out!!" and this was one of them, so I assume it was just locked to post game, but I swear it didn't used to be.

Oh also, I stumbled on this a day ago and it is literally my favorite thing ever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnV9pjPBqo

P.S. - Wtf was Ultra Megalopolis? I remember them hyping this location up SO much in the lead-up to these games and it's literally a 2 minute boss fight chamber and you leave.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Too late, I've already seen the Tree Discourse pop back up.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Okay, serious question.

What actors and actresses are these new professors?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2022
    Cantido wrote: »
    Okay, serious question.

What actors and actresses are these new professors?

I mean, the male one is just straight up Kit from Nintendo Minute :P

Oh also, beat Rainbow Rocket section of Ultra Moon. That plotline did not go as I expected it to. When they first revealed that I was so pissed because it un-did all of Giovanni's character development. But now that I've played it, turns out that was not true. These are versions of the leaders from worlds where the main character didn't exist and they succeeded in their plans. Very interesting take. I hope they bring this back (I mean, they sort of teased that). I like the concept as this kind of multiversal threat.

Warlock82 on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Please let Pawmi have an evolution

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

But see, then it wouldn't be a Pikachu!

I think Ice has 4 three stage evolution lines, and Electric has 7, with both Pikachu and Electabuzz being backfills. It's pretty dire

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG

They never do. Its a shame really

Ringo wrote: »

But see, then it wouldn't be a Pikachu!

I think Ice has 4 three stage evolution lines, and Electric has 7, with both Pikachu and Electabuzz being backfills. It's pretty dire

It keep its purity at level 25 it simply vanishes.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is pawmi the pikachu?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, it seems like it

Electric is my favorite type, but every time it loses half its "slots" to a pikaclone and a legendary

If only the pikaclone got an evolution I would like it a lot more

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Was Yamper not the cute electric critter equivalent last generation? Because that was an instance of it having an evolution, if so.

Naw that was the angry hamster.

edited June 2022
    Naw that was the hangry hamster.

FTFY.

Polaritie on
    edited June 2022
    I got my girlfriends daughter Shield for christmas and I was showing her how to play
    She was shocked there were genders when she named her ( male)Starter Ruby and it seems she went with genfer neutral names after that sonher Yamper was named Banana

I didnt have the heart to tell her yellow meant electric

King Riptor on
    edited June 2022

Edit: It was pretty good :3 I am really interested to see where this is going based on the next episode teaser (which seems more set *during* the game than just "sometime vaguely around that time period")

Warlock82 on
    edited June 2022
    So I've been debating if I really wanted to restart my Pokemon Y game (I had so much mystery gift shit on that file, it hurts to erase that) and finally just relented and bought Pokemon X instead :P I saw it on sale and just said screw it. Started playing for a bit because I wanted to see if the region switching for Vivillon worked (it did, Archipelago pattern ftw! What regions I was allowed to select on a US 3DS were limited but I've noticed a lot of people looking for this one) and I kind of got hooked on it and kept playing.

It's interesting to go back to this game since I haven't really played it since it first came out. I was curious if my original impressions would hold up (basically that the game was really fun but the story was garbage). I'd say they do but weirdly in a different way. I used to *haaaaate* the friends but I'm finding they don't bother me as much now. Maybe because I picked my own nickname this time so I don't have to hear them calling me "Big K" all the time (seriously I think maybe that was what grated on me more than anything). It's interesting to see this story in the context of actually having played gen 4 and 5 though - there's definitely reversion from the storytelling of gen 5 for sure. It's repeating a lot of the storytelling things I wasn't super fond of from gen 4 - namely the large number of absolutely non-sequitur plot beats (for example in gen 4, pretty much any time you teamed up with an NPC). There's just so many things that happen which have absolutely no relevance to the plot at all. And there's a weird incoherence to events, like Team Flare just sort of showing up randomly and somehow the bad guy label just kind of being assumed even though they don't actually *do* anything. Like, they're in Glittering Cave, I guess to find fossils or stones or something, and they say some mean things to you and bitch about wanting the world to be beautiful, but otherwise they're just kind of standing there minding their own business and if anything you're more the aggressor. They aren't attacking anyone or stealing their pokemon or anything like that. It's super bizarre. I knew they were the worst evil team but I'm starting to understand just why that is playing here again. There's also been a lot of "Hey do you know anything about Mega Evolution?" "No, not really, but maybe you can talk to this guy" - rinse, repeat. It's a weirdly weak McGuffin to drive the plot forward. But the whole thing is interesting to me because I know I always attributed the friend group to a large amount of my hate of this gen and really they are largely inoffensive I'm finding (that girl character is a little annoying but I kinda like the other two.. neighbor alt-gender of player character is kind of generically meh)

Also the pacing is all over the place. That gap between the first and second badge is absolutely stupid. There's so much content with literally nothing happening. Now that I have two badges it should pick up though - I'm pretty sure most upcoming towns have gyms. It's also super weird tho.

Random side note - ugg, my Tyrunt has -ATK IVs and it's driving me crazy. Kind of wish I had save scummed for a less shit IV, but at this point I'm sticking with it (it's the story, it's not hard). King Chomps is still pretty good :3 I still can't decide if I want to just keep going - I guess so. Was not planning on playing this next and there's still post game stuff in Ultra Moon I wanna finish up (but I'm currently breeding for a Truant Durant for Battle Tree cuz I've always wanted to try it and I hear there's a great cheese strat there :P) but outside of doing ultra wormhole runs I've kind of finished with that? *shrug* I guess I could do mantine surfing too.

Warlock82 on
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Draft
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I've been debating if I really wanted to restart my Pokemon Y game (I had so much mystery gift shit on that file, it hurts to erase that) and finally just relented and bought Pokemon X instead :P I saw it on sale and just said screw it. Started playing for a bit because I wanted to see if the region switching for Vivillon worked (it did, Archipelago pattern ftw! What regions I was allowed to select on a US 3DS were limited but I've noticed a lot of people looking for this one) and I kind of got hooked on it and kept playing.

It's interesting to go back to this game since I haven't really played it since it first came out. I

You can get pretty much anything on GTS with an Archipelago Vivillon. I did the same region-switching thing to fill out my Form Dex and it worked great. Everyone requests rare Furfrous now but you can put up the Vivillon and request anything and you should have it in 24-48 hours at the most