As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf4NG8Dr2Jo

No gameplay here, just a teaser, but I played the shit out of Front Mission 3 back in the day. I could use another strategy RPG to while away the hours.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    This is a 3 remake yes?
    e: oh seems like no, this is different from the old front mission remake they were doing?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf4NG8Dr2Jo

No gameplay here, just a teaser, but I played the shit out of Front Mission 3 back in the day. I could use another strategy RPG to while away the hours.

I'm hoping it has live action cutscenes a la C&C now.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I honestly am having trouble telling if those are live action actors or CGI

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Its a phone game. Boooo.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Should've known it was too good to be true.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Isn't there a Front Mission 1 remake coming up for Switch?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yep, Zlongame is a big nope.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I should play that action game Front Mission sometime. I know people were kinda down on it but I'm pretty dang forgiving when it comes to mech stuff

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I just wrapped up Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, which is the companion game for a much larger, much more ambitious Kickerstarted game called Eiyuden Chronice: 100 Heroes scheduled to come out in 2023. I was looking to scratch a JRPG itch and, conveniently, Rising recently came out of Gamepass.

I liked it! Its short; I 100% in under 20 hours. Characters and combat were fun while the story was fine. Side quests primarily were "fetch x" affairs, which was at least thematic since you're helping rebuild a town. I think its a solid buy for $15 on Steam.

You'd think this would make me more hype for the full 100 Heroes game, but my understanding is that the game will have 100 playable characters, so while Rising shows the developer can do good work, I am skeptical of anyone saying they can make a compelling cast that large.

Edit: One of the playable characters is a kangaroo with a bag of holding fannie pack where they store their giant sword if that convinces anyone.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Wait, are ALL the characters supposed to be playable?

Because Eiyuden is a spiritual successor and made by some of the people who did Suikoden, where each game had 108 characters you can recruit. With a large deal of them totally optional.

But usually only a portion of those characters are ones you can can actually put into your party and go into battle with. A lot of them do things like open up shops and other functions in your home base. Others are just plot relevant characters (generals, strategists, etc). Some can only be played or provide support in each games "war mode". Others are just there for flavor. There are some you can bring into battle but probably don't' want because they're meant to be joke characters.

I did kickstart this and I'm really excited to play it, but I've been keeping myself in the dark because it's kinda far away, so I haven't been keeping up with a lot of details.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    My understanding is that it's doing the Suikoden route of being able to recruit a shit ton of people for your home fortress, but only a portion of them can be used as combat party members.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I opted not to back it just because A) Development seemed like a sure thing, B) The tiers didn't offer anything really beyond "Preorder the game for the same price you would buy it for when it releases"

But I am looking forward to it when it releases, I'm a huge Suikoden fan

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's doing the Suikoden route of being able to recruit a shit ton of people for your home fortress, but only a portion of them can be used as combat party members.

The Steam page says "100+ playable characters", but the Kickstarter says "100 characters". I'm guessing they'll follow the formula of 100 characters to recruit where only a subset are playable. For me, that's still a lot of characters to try to get me invested in within a single game, but I'm down to try.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »

The Steam page says "100+ playable characters", but the Kickstarter says "100 characters". I'm guessing they'll follow the formula of 100 characters to recruit where only a subset are playable. For me, that's still a lot of characters to try to get me invested in within a single game, but I'm down to try.

Can always have non-battle characters associated with crafting minigames to make the playable claim technically correct.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Seems a good time to revive this thread with some Xenoblade 3 info:

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/a4c0a78d-e993-4fae-8c8e-62c5927040fa

And of course the ff16 update(trailer, screenshots, art, game details and dev team details):

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-xvi-dominance

Some good AAA JRPG times on the horizon!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    0:36 I'll give you three guesses what this guy's level his, and the level of the zone he's actually roaming around in.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tradition demands he's at least 60 levels over anything nearby or so.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    That sure looks like some Xenoblade-ass scenery.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Been playing some Xenoblade 2 myself lately and got to Chapter 8.
    No lie, when the chapter started, a part of me hoped we'd run into Emeralda though I suppose Poppi fills that role. Especially since I unlocked QT-Pi which I heard could be quite broken once her chart's nodes are activated. Need to grind Tiger Tiger some though to fully unlock her grid and slot in some upgrades.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Some Final Fantasy news from the VII 25th anniversary stream

Crisis Core remaster this winter:

https://youtu.be/aRBiRFM2k0I

VIIR-2 ("Rebirth") next winter:

https://youtu.be/5wRnP5aYlLA

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Also dragon's dogma 2, coming... someday
    1*5zzhtp3zxVzauPhzBSngTQ.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Some Final Fantasy news from the VII 25th anniversary stream

Crisis Core remaster this winter:

https://youtu.be/aRBiRFM2k0I

VIIR-2 ("Rebirth") next winter:

https://youtu.be/5wRnP5aYlLA

Sad that FF7R's still nowhere close to the XBox but at least there'll be Crisis Core. I wonder if they'll add anything to connect it to FF7R.

• Options
    I haven't gotten around to FF7R yet so looks like I'll need to add that to my sooner rather than later list.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I mean you got like 18 months (more probably that fucker getting pushed I bet)

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I've got four Trails games to play in that timeframe so things might be tight to squeeze around them.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    More XBC3 info!

The class system looks fantastic. Each one offers both attacks (you can slot up to 3) and passives (not sure how many you can slot) along with changing your bases stats.

The skill you get from other classes can be combined with your current job skills for special Fusion attacks. So lots of motivation for mixing and matching.

The oroborous forms have their own individual skill trees too! So you get gem crafting/gear/job system and skill trees for progression.

As someone who was a little more cool on XBC2 this game has me absolutely mega hyped.

I'm actually glad I wasn't paying too close attention until like last month because if I was this hyped this whole time I'd be dying.

Also FF16 news confirmed party members (ai controlled), M rating(this is awesome and a mainline FF first) and that the game takes place over multiple decades.

JRPG fans are going to be eating good for a while.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    16 is over a year out still so

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    16 is over a year out still so

Yea and we already have multiple releases through the end of this year. Then we got some real big titles right on through next year?

Thats some real good eating!

• Options
    Personally I'm looking forward to more people discovering what a bad game Crisis Core is, since it doesn't look like they're changing the gameplay at all

(I'll still buy it because I enjoy parts of it enough, but it's a pretty rotten game that is going to turn most people off)

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Personally I'm looking forward to more people discovering what a bad game Crisis Core is, since it doesn't look like they're changing the gameplay at all

(I'll still buy it because I enjoy parts of it enough, but it's a pretty rotten game that is going to turn most people off)

That one will be a skip for me but definitely on the list of "look at all these jumps coming out!"

• Options
    When I first heard about it, I figured they must be FF7Ring the gameplay parts

And then I watched the video

And maaaaaan, this is gonna be a disaster

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah but I can just, y'know, not buy Crisis Core. I may watch someone play it like I did the CHAOS game if someone sufficiently entertaining has a video eventually.

Xenoblade 3 I'm remaining in the dark as much as possible, but what I am hearing all sounds really good. And I've kept up to date with Final Fantasy 16 so I'm hyped for that, but it's a ways off so not that much hype or I'll be all hyped out before it arrives.

• Options
    I enjoyed Crisis Core up until Nibelheim when it became a full-on fanfic, and that was supposed to be the best part of the game.

The music is beyond reproach, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZ1te9EHsk
    (FF7R spoilers)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Square Enix is trying out its own Rune Factory, Harvestella. Out November 4.

https://youtu.be/5Yd3tzhN99E

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I enjoyed Crisis Core up until Nibelheim when it became a full-on fanfic, and that was supposed to be the best part of the game.

The music is beyond reproach, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZ1te9EHsk
    (FF7R spoilers)

It has my favorite Aerith's theme. The guitar adds so much to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3_Tu54Y6c

I know a lot of people hated the roulette mechanic for gameplay but I didn't mind it, and the way they integrated with the ending was perfect.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    crisis core will almost certainly have new content

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's bordering on 'likely' that
    Reunion ending will coincide with the glimpses of Zack that we get in FF7R, where he survives the previously un-winnable situation and makes it to Midgar.

This discussion has been closed.