As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maybe the real [Heroes of the Storm] were the friends we made along the way

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    most likely - weekend games were really bad even for weekend games - lot of just leo running it down

PSN SeGaTai
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    School's out!

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Yeah this weekend has been catastrophic.

But I got invited to a 5 man after a good rando showing. Cut to a string of games with the other team not banning Jo.

And I'm free. Free at last (for a few weeks)

d21q2xj1k7vd.jpg

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Sidenote. I fucking hate geniji. Goddamn hyper mobility bullshit, oh and let's give him an invulnerable ability. Brilliant.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    genji is a perfect boy who did nothing wrong

PSN SeGaTai
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'm trying Genji a ton right now after not touching him in forever.

Can't quite get the hang of him.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Genjo is fun but feels really bullshit to play against. He definitely feels more fair than playing against Zeratul, though. At high level, a well-played Zeratul is almost impossible to lock down or kill, especially if you're backline.

Genji by contrast is susceptible to way more and can be punished. Zeratul's 20 teleports are janky as fuck.

MrBody wrote: »
    I'm trying Genji a ton right now after not touching him in forever.

Can't quite get the hang of him.

In the early game you typically can't 100-0 most heroes; so your kinda just there to be super annoying - dismount ppl, cheap bush checks; push out a lane no one is paying attention to because your basically ungankable.

Then once your team actually starts fighting; you wait around and then steal their kills

PSN SeGaTai
    POV: You're trying to interact with the objec

You're trying to interact

You're trying to interact with th

You're trying to

You're trying to interact with the objective and the other team h

You're trying to interact with the objective and the other team has a gen

You're trying to inter *YOU ARE DEAD*

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    I mean, that particular complaint isn't even the most offensive hero there. There are so many heroes with low CD, long-range pokes.

....am I a Genji apologist?

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I also struggled to make Genji work for a long time. Truth be told, I still probably wouldn't pick him competitively, but mostly just because his kit/role doesn't fill the positions I tend to play. But what works best for me is to really focus primarily on harassing frontline with auto-attacks. This feels a lot safer to me than jumping in and trying to make plays off of fairly predictable engages.

Everyone has different strengths/weaknesses and preferred playstyles, so your mileage may vary, but that's how I make him work. His AA can be really oppressive because of the way it interacts with his movement, and if you happen to step too close, you're holding two disengages and a damage immunity. So it's pretty safe.

After you get Way of the Shimada at 13, you can really frustrate tanks in prolonged engagements.

With regard to playing against Genji, try to draft characters that can punish his engage. Look for heroes like Brightwing, for example, who can literally just click on him to shut him down with Polymorph after he jumps in. Or characters with strong on-demand personal defensives, like Kael'thas, who can get low to bait the engage and then pop Arcane Barrier to completely catch him out (especially if you know he's about to rely on the Dash reset to get back out again).

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Since he got nerfed a while back (appropriately so, IMHO), Genji has really been much more about guaranteeing kills than much anything else. He's not gonna dump out a bunch of DPS, and he actually doesn't have a lot of burst potential unless he gets resets, so you really are left just kind of harassing what you can and hanging around until you see something that can die.

You can think about it like this - in a fight where Genji doesn't exist and the other team instead has, say, a Raynor, if you are at low HP you can still kind of hang around and maybe throw a few spells here and there. If Genji is there, then not only does your threshold for "I'm perfectly fine!" decrease, but if you are a squishy ranged character then you basically can't hang around at all, which forces your team to disengage sooner than they would like or leaves them down 4v5.

Basically if you can't participate in fights and do damage safely without YOLOing in constantly then you probably shouldn't be playing Genji at all, because his cooldowns are too long for you to just be throwing them out early, and his actual burst (and hero differentiation) relies upon getting those resets.

Tracer actually works somewhat similarly, although she's a much less extreme version of that dynamic and skews more towards sustained damage nowadays.

edited June 2022
    Just so y'all know. I just like to complain about my big 3 hated heroes. It's:s not rational, I know.

Genji
    Zeratul
    Abby

Ok. Abby is rational

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    How to play Genji, the ultimate end-all guide:

Can you be an asshole right now?
    Yes: go in

No: you won't know until you try, go in

Maybe: why aren't you in already?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    There is exactly one good thing about Genji, and that is Tychus's killing blow voice line.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/allstars_gamepedia/images/3/37/Tychus_KillNinja00.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20180811153730

borb_sig.png
    My top 3 are heroes without counterplay, of which I think Genji has a lot of.

1) KTZ
    2) Aba
    3) Zera

Just so y'all know. I just like to complain about my big 3 hated heroes. It's:s not rational, I know.

Genji
    Zeratul
    Abby

Ok. Abby is rational

+Samuro

If you want to talk ungankable...

MrBody wrote: »

Genji
    Zeratul
    Abby

Ok. Abby is rational

+Samuro

If you want to talk ungankable...

You're not wrong, but I mostly think of them as a Murky alt costume. They're a distraction from just killing the other team. Murky fucks up tanks. Samuro fucks up squishies.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    Ess of Johan was a hell of a drug.

borb_sig.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Oh man, we are officially past a year and a half since our last new hero. Also over 2 months since a balance patch.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Oh man, we are officially past a year and a half since our last new hero. Also over 2 months since a balance patch.

I'm not bothered that we haven't gotten any new heroes for a long time. I am bothered that the last hero we got was Hogger.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    forty wrote: »

I'm not bothered that we haven't gotten any new heroes for a long time. I am bothered that the last hero we got was Hogger.

ye they really coulda just stopped one earlier tbh

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    We never got a wow death knight though we did get at least once if every other class. We never got Mengsk. Never got Diavl druid (gm doesn't count), or assassin. Never got a car from Rock n Roll Racing or Blackthorne. Could have used more WoW dragons, maybe at least one from the blue fight. And maybe King Mechagon for a gnome flavored alternative to Gazliwe. Lady Vasjh would have been cool, as would an old God.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    Do not stop development until every single Hearthstone card is a playable hero.

7qb4e5hyw39e.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Because girls don't play video games!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    We never got a wow death knight

Wait, Arthas doesn't count here?

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    We never got a wow death knight

Wait, Arthas doesn't count here?

Oh whoops, guess i forgot about him

steam_sig.png
    So did Blizzard.

Genji happiness is going all Deflect talents (including level 20) and standing in front of an enemy Deathwing who doesn't figure to turn off fire breath.

You have elected ... the way of pain.

Ok, so should I learn genji?

My top heroes are ranged AA and a couple of tanks, one or two bruisers.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited June 2022
    Almost certainly, no. Genji is intentionally undertuned, and always will be, because his base kit has such an incredibly high skill ceiling.
    He is actually tuned to such a degree that most players won't get any mileage out of him at all.

Remember also that he has zero waveclear, no CC, is made of paper, has extremely predictable engages, and is almost entirely dependent on his team to set up the resets he needs to be competitive.

In the hands of the right person, sure; Genji can be incredibly abusive. In the hands of ... 99% of the HotS playerbase, he's a literal throw pick.

milk ducks on
    Having said that, play what you want.

If you think he looks fun, go for it.

It's worth noting that MMMig exclusively plays QM, so the answer to, "Should I play X?" is always going to be, "Sure, why not?"

Except for Abathur, the Fun and Interactive Hero.

Actually it's 90% ARAM 10% AI these days.

Tried out W stitches in AI and golly he is a beast, especially with cdr on extra hero bodies like sammy.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Genji's engage being "predictable" is not a thing hots players understand - which is if it isn't in my lane directly in front of me - it does not exist.

The number of hots players who will pyroblast, temporal loop, last rites, triple tap (sooooo many triple taps), lambs - a genji holding x-strike is staggering.

Though you should be warned about qm genji - you will spend roughly 20% of the game just hearthing; you can't trade dmg - you need all your health to go in; and you basically will go oom if you do get a sweet reset kill during a big fight

PSN SeGaTai
    I see 9 out of 10 novas go triple tap.

Confused Jackie Chan.bmp

l4lGvOw.png

wra