As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[sysadmin] on-call schedule - Always you

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Know what would make Microsoft 365 licensing 1000x better to figure out? If they added a tag at the top of their KB articles that said which licenses support the feature.

Was trying to sort out what license is needed for DLP features and couldn't find anything from an official Microsoft article, I found the answer buried in a reddit post, it's E3 or E5 btw.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Know what would make Microsoft 365 licensing 1000x better to figure out? If they added a tag at the top of their KB articles that said which licenses support the feature.

Was trying to sort out what license is needed for DLP features and couldn't find anything from an official Microsoft article, I found the answer buried in a reddit post, it's E3 or E5 btw.

DLP is such a broad category that you really need to be asking what features specifically are you looking for. The big differences between e3 and 35 are that you get teams, single sign-on, better logging, and a rubber stamp that says you're HIPAA/PCI/ODB/TMNT compliant. Both give you sharepoint/exchange versioning and AD integration.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »

The full o365 license comparison table lists the two types of DLP under the Information Protection section: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2139145

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    @Thawmus I was taught to start troubleshooting at layer 1 and go from there.

Then again, I'm mostly self taught and the internet was just getting started when I was learning this.

Feldorn on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Thawmus I was taught to start troubleshooting at layer 1 and go from there.

Then again, I'm mostly self taught and the internet was just getting started when I was learning this.

It depends on what you're troubleshooting, but for the most part I start at Layer 3. Can I hit 8.8.8.8? If I can't, I traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and my troubleshooting starts where that breaks. If I can, I move on to DNS because it's always DNS.

At a certain point yes you troubleshoot layer 1, but nowadays when shit isn't working, the least common thing to fail is a NIC or cable, and the most common cause is a fiber cut or area-wide outage of some sort.

Now, if you start talking about something other than being down, like packet loss? I'll probably still run an mtr against my target first, see where the packet loss is starting, but yeah Layer 1 is a close second or third step, then, depending on that result. If I'm not dropping packets between me and my router, I'm not bothering with L1.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    I like to follow the path of least resistance. A ping test will very quickly tell you want direction you should tkake your troubleshooting. Start simple and follow the breadcrumbs.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    We migrated our DNS provider today

We ended up with a minor glitch with some of our CNAME records. It wasn't a big deal to fix, once I could identify the problem.

But after teaching everybody in the department about DNS yesterday and last week

and after giving everybody specific troubleshooting instructions

literally NOBODY who reported the problem to me bothered to do a ping or nslookup

One of my best friends is fresh out of college and working for a major financial software company that literally everyone here has heard of and worked with in some capacity.

He wasn't planning on being in an IT career path but he is now. He's being taught the job from the ground up.

It is hilarious/depressing to me when one of our other friends will have their Internet take a shit, and his first troubleshooting step is to ask them if they have Wireshark installed. Gotta start doing some packet inspection. Inspect those packets. First step!

At one point, my ISP took a shit (Spectrum, go figure, getting fiber installed in a couple months, will be glad to be rid of them), and he's like, "Hey what does wireshark tell you?" and I just snapped.

"Are you seriously telling me that they've trained you to start wiresharking shit at the first sign of network issues? Do you even know what you're targeting or filtering for? Do you know where the break is? Have they taught you ping, traceroute, mtr, fucking anything? Do you ping 8.8.8.8 as your first resort to ensure you can speak with the outside world, and then if you can, you move on to trying google.com to make sure DNS is working?"

Him: ".............what's ping?"

This is how the next generation of technicians are being trained in the main troubleshooting dept of one of the largest fucking companies you've ever heard of.

Not for nothing he learned some shit that night and weirdly he's able to spot things faster than others on his team now.

I do not fucking understand, though. I don't get it. I'm filled with sadness and rage over it and I don't even fucking work there.

Do they have 3 letters? If so... they are not good. At all.

schuss wrote: »

We ended up with a minor glitch with some of our CNAME records. It wasn't a big deal to fix, once I could identify the problem.

But after teaching everybody in the department about DNS yesterday and last week

literally NOBODY who reported the problem to me bothered to do a ping or nslookup

One of my best friends is fresh out of college and working for a major financial software company that literally everyone here has heard of and worked with in some capacity.

He wasn't planning on being in an IT career path but he is now. He's being taught the job from the ground up.

It is hilarious/depressing to me when one of our other friends will have their Internet take a shit, and his first troubleshooting step is to ask them if they have Wireshark installed. Gotta start doing some packet inspection. Inspect those packets. First step!

At one point, my ISP took a shit (Spectrum, go figure, getting fiber installed in a couple months, will be glad to be rid of them), and he's like, "Hey what does wireshark tell you?" and I just snapped.

"Are you seriously telling me that they've trained you to start wiresharking shit at the first sign of network issues? Do you even know what you're targeting or filtering for? Do you know where the break is? Have they taught you ping, traceroute, mtr, fucking anything? Do you ping 8.8.8.8 as your first resort to ensure you can speak with the outside world, and then if you can, you move on to trying google.com to make sure DNS is working?"

This is how the next generation of technicians are being trained in the main troubleshooting dept of one of the largest fucking companies you've ever heard of.

Not for nothing he learned some shit that night and weirdly he's able to spot things faster than others on his team now.

I do not fucking understand, though. I don't get it. I'm filled with sadness and rage over it and I don't even fucking work there.

Do they have 3 letters? If so... they are not good. At all.

Maybe we can add a fourth letter and go with DUMB.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I've run in to some weird culture hitches where it is not acceptable to assume the person you're training doesn't know the basics. To the point where I was asked to "do a crash course in trouble shooting to help identify gaps" and was told to remove my slides on boot processes and basic network trouble shooting.

The slides on issues our techs struggle with the most was deemed "condescending" and "not respectful of their time". Not because of the content presentation but because of the content itself "They all know how to do this".

I've run in to some weird culture hitches where it is not acceptable to assume the person you're training doesn't know the basics. To the point where I was asked to "do a crash course in trouble shooting to help identify gaps" and was told to remove my slides on boot processes and basic network trouble shooting.

The slides on issues our techs struggle with the most was deemed "condescending" and "not respectful of their time". Not because of the content presentation but because of the content itself "They all know how to do this".

The best way to identify gaps in knowledge is to just pretend everyone knows what they're doing!

I put it in there for a reason boss.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Huh. What a funny coincidence!

We had a guy working for us (who was a fucking moron*) who used to glibly ask me to Wireshark servers. No indication of what he's looking for, only vague descriptions of the problems he was having.

* everybody who worked for my company could see that he was a fucking moron and it still flummoxes several of us that he was able to keep his job for so long

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The best way to identify gaps in knowledge is to just pretend everyone knows what they're doing!

I was always taught (from a "you're talking about science the audience may or may not understand" perspective) that you always structure a presentation as though an audience knows nothing but works quickly. So you would always breeze over "the basics" but then if people actually have questions you get a good long while to go back and talk about them - it's never steered me wrong.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    In this episodes of "It's always DNS" we look at split DNS where the external website forwards to the root of the domain.

User goes to company.com, it drops them at their internal IIS server, direct them to use www.company.com, it resolved the IP correctly but drops them at the internal server again. All because their web host is set to forward www to the root.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    I ran into a couple annoying forward/redirect things in our Cloudflare DNS that dropped you at the root of the website if you didn't have www in the address... I added a second rule on each one so that it didn't matter if you put www or not it would direct to the correct page.

I'm often amazed at how difficult many people find DNS to understand. I reckon I'm also wired a bit different.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    "what is the @ record and what does it do?"

A question I got after talking about root records at length with my team across multiple conversations

I never used the @ symbol explicitly or called it an "at record", but the question showed that the person just didn't bother to do any independent learning or research or googling

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

My first interview for the new place was last Friday. It was remote via Teams and went really well. I had the job posting pulled up and just went down the list of requirements, giving examples of how I am doing the very same thing right now. I again said that I wanted 80-90k and she didn't even blink. A couple of days ago I sent a thank you note to the interviewer via the recruiter. The recruiter got back to me yesterday to schedule an in-person interview. Tomorrow after work I will be going to their office for an in person interview with 3 people, all executives with the company.

I'll admit I'm a little nervous but I can talk to executives. I've done it quite a bit before. And I know what I'm talking about. I have demonstrable knowledge and skills in the field of technical sales engineering. I think I'm going to nail this interview and I think they're going to give me what I'm asking.

I am really excited. This could be a total gamechanger for me.

Goddamn, look at you. Fuckin' go get 'em!

I am so fucking fed up with Windows 10.

- Roll out new Windows 10 gold image for workstations.
    - Deploy it to a workstation.
    - Basic Windows 10 apps (notably Calculator, Photos) are missing.
    - Click on a JPG file throws an error message (because it's associated with the Photos Windows Store app, which is missing)
    - Clicking on Calculator or Photos brings you to the Windows Store.

Every method I've tried to preinstall Calculator or Photos for all users on the gold image has failed.

How can a company that's been doing OSes for 30 years fuck up basic features in an OS this badly?

I shouldn't have to fuck around with appx packages so my users can fucking view JPG files.

edited June 2022

- Click on a JPG file throws an error message (because it's associated with the Photos Windows Store app, which is missing)

Every method I've tried to preinstall Calculator or Photos for all users on the gold image has failed.

How can a company that's been doing OSes for 30 years fuck up basic features in an OS this badly?

I don't know what specifically you are using to build out and capture these images you're building. I have some questions that may not even apply here. It's just that I've had problems where the Windows Universal Apps don't get installed automatically. Are you preinstalling all your apps, drivers and updates before capturing the image or is that part of your deployment process? Are you running sysprep if you are not just using a raw windows 10 iso?

That_Guy on
    I'm going to need some time to unpack this interview. It was not quite what I expected so I just kind of rolled with it.

That_Guy wrote: »

I don't know what specifically you are using to build out and capture these images you're building. I have some questions that may not even apply here. It's just that I've had problems where the Windows Universal Apps don't get installed automatically. Are you preinstalling all your apps, drivers and updates before capturing the image or is that part of your deployment process? Are you running sysprep if you are not just using a raw windows 10 iso?

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the imaging technology

Install from VLSC Windows 10 ISO to VM (VMware)
    Then sysprep
    Then clone to VMware template
    go back to VM, capture with Ivanti

In other words, it happened either during Windows 10 installation, or between installation and sysprep, because the apps are missing on the gold image (eg, the VM we installed Windows 10 on) and in the VMware template we cloned and physical workstations we push to from Ivanti

I'm mad that the basic apps are missing (Calculator and Photos) but I'm even more mad that restoring them requires dicking around with Get-AppxPackage and Get-AppxProvisionedPackage, that there's no officially documented way to do this, just a bunch of half-assed ways that random users and sysadmins online have figured out

I've had some time to unpack that interview and talk to the recruiter. The interview went well but it wasn't really what I was expecting.

I applied for a sales engineering position. I mostly want to continue getting better at designing IT solutions. When they called me in for the second interview I was ready to talk sales engineering and my track record. That was NOT the focus of the interview. They had a lot of questions about technical account management and my technical skills. It was more about what I used to do as a primary account tech. I told them I pretty much did it all. That I was the main PoC for basically anything that ran on electricity. I talked about my wiring and cabling skills, my troubleshooting skills and my thoughts on technical alignment/standards. I wasn't especially prepared to talk about that but I just rolled with it. At the end I emphasized that I would really work best doing sales engineering.

I left the interview very confused and more than a little frustrated that they seemed to be interviewing me for a position I didn't apply for. I figured even if they were going to offer me a job it wouldn't be what I wanted to do. I felt like the interview didn't go especially well.

Yesterday afternoon I get another call from the recruiter. She said they were very impressed with me in the interview and that they weren't expecting me to have such extensive experience. They were originally just looking at me for sales engineering but wanted some time to retool the role to better suit my skill set. One of the people in the interview is going to be on vacation all next week so I probably won't hear anything until the week after. I emphasized to the recruiter that I would really prefer doing sales engineering but can still do some strategy if needed.

And so I'm going to wait and see what they come up with. I'll make my decision based on how much money they offer and what kind of job duties they have for me. I'm definitely going to shop any offer I get with my current employer but I'm really not expecting them to match any offer this new place makes.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    with no further details our Tier 1 dude is real bad at his job and it's going to get him fired one of these days. Making the whole department look real bad because he lacks basic troubleshooting skills.

And he's been in the job for a couple years.

edit: I think some of his faults were masked during the pandemic when everything was wild west and the like, and the previous IT manager and network guy also both did a lot more day to day helpdesk work than our current manager and sysadmin (me) are doing so he's being exposed a bit to not be very good at his job. in a way I feel bad for the guy, but also I don't, if you understand where I'm coming from.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Pour one out for the network engineers at Rogers in Canada today. the country's biggest ISP appears to have Facebook'd themselves and withdrawn themselves from BGP tables on the internet, and as a result the entirty of Rogers network is down.

They run the biggest wireline business in Eastern Canada, one of the 3 nationwide wireless carriers, and a ton of businesses and services use them on the back end. Lots of places in the city I live in Western Canada are closed/cash only because their Point of sale terminals are cellular based, and must be on Rogers networks.

every Rogers internet customer is down. Every Rogers cellphone customer is down. Every rogers wireline phone is down. This is the biggest outage in Canada, probably ever.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    And I was annoyed that Sectigo was having issues with their OCSP stuff a couple days ago.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I put our phone system in two data centres in two different provinces on two different power grids. What could possibly go wrong that would take that out thus tanking the local crisis and support lines?

Rogers: "Hold my beer."

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I put our phone system in two data centres in two different provinces on two different power grids. What could possibly go wrong that would take that out thus tanking the local crisis and support lines?

Rogers: "Hold my beer."

Prevention against "Acts of god (and/or BGP)" is difficult, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited July 2022
    So after 2 years of putting some big projects together, looking at multiple bids, agonizing over the details, and sending upper management my proposals, full of cost analysis and cost projections and cost justifications, we finally got to the point a few weeks ago where it was time for me to sign on the dotted line.

But wait, they said, we need to talk to the owners now, and see what they think.

I have sent these owners all of this information. Multiple times. I've tried, in earnest, many times, to get them to attend our meetings regarding these projects, and get their comments and opinions. Radio silence this entire time. Mind you, one of them is knowledgeable and has a tendency to be the one I need to talk to the most to get on board. I was targeting him specifically to have a conversation with. They ducked me this entire time.

Last week they said "no" because they don't know anything about the project. They have 20 questions. All 20 questions are answered in the multiple emails and documents I've sent their way, as well as the most recent meeting with the vendor, which they also ducked.

So the vendor is pissed at me because hey it turns out I'm not actually the decision maker and neither is the CEO nor the COO, and they've put a ton of work into getting our business. I'm trying to arrange a meeting with owners and vendor but it isn't happening.

I called the CEO and vented on Thursday, letting them know that I was extremely pissed off at all these questions that I had already answered, and that it was ludicrous that we were hitting this wall. They agreed and said this happens to them all the time. I let them know that...wasn't.....helping.

So I paced around for a bit and then texted my wife and told her I was done. Time for a new job. Absolutely 100 fucking % done.

Friday goes by, radio silence from everyone in upper management. 110% fucking done. I called my old boss, who retired a couple years ago, he tells me that everyone in upper management is so close to retirement right now that nobody wants to be critical and honest about where shit is heading, and that went for him too.

Well, I'm 38 going on 39, so I'm looking for a new job now ASAP. Thinking about Technical Writing? I dunno. I feel like I need a change of scenery and everything. Thoughts on adjacent careers that would value someone with 10 years of linux sysadmin experience? I'm throwing my resume at a lot of places right now, but the vast majority of them want me to have security clearance, I'm just hoping they'll be willing to eat shit while they sponsor mine.

Thawmus on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Infrastructure engineering? From your stories it sounds like you know network engineering as well.
    From what I've seen, other than UX roles, most adjacent roles in tech are less present than they were 10 years ago because they just throw it all at devs and product owners.

edited July 2022
    I am in the same place. Sick to death of the dysfunction in my office. I'm still waiting to hear back from that place I applied to. A series of executive vacations and a round of COVID had delayed things on their end.

So I've been applying for solutions engineer and technical sales engineer positions on indeed. It's a workers market out there and I should be making a LOT more money.

That_Guy on
    Infrastructure engineering? From your stories it sounds like you know network engineering as well.
    From what I've seen, other than UX roles, most adjacent roles in tech are less present than they were 10 years ago because they just throw it all at devs and product owners.

I think one of the big problems for me is that I've been all over the board with my many hats that I only have a passable understanding of anything anymore. I'll see job sites asking for experience with 18 acronyms and I don't know what any of them are.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I think one of the big problems for me is that I've been all over the board with my many hats that I only have a passable understanding of anything anymore. I'll see job sites asking for experience with 18 acronyms and I don't know what any of them are.

The upside might be that you have a very wide view of the overall picture?

I'd probably say you could look into some Cloud/Solution Architecting. Maybe pick a cloud (AWS or Azure) and shoot for a cert or two. It might give you a good way to leverage your wide-area experience into a more comfy job.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    There's absolutely a role for people who are generalists. That's what I do. I work as a sysadmin in a small company and I touch everything from Servers to Firewalls to switches to wirting a new powershell script to automate some of the things we do offboarding employees to setting up a new ticket system to running moving our phone system over to a new voip system.

The trick is that the company I work for is not afraid to get me support when I need it. I don't know every single thing about our firewall and security system so we spend a little bit of money to get a vendor to come in and set it up in a best practice method and I maintain it day to day.

I actually like wearing a lot of hats because it keeps the job from getting boring. If all I did was stare at a a firewall UI all day every day I'd lose my mind. Some days it sucks because I have 5 meetings on 4 different topics I need to be prepared for, but overall I like having variance in my day.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Honestly I feel like everyone's a generalist in reality and the generalist knowledge is pretty applicable to everything. I.e I used to be a generalist; now I'd probably be considered a kubernetes and cloud specialist (my work is literally just those things apart from some edge cases)... All that means in reality is that I no longer have to fix employee computers and I spend more time googling kubernetes and gcp than other things.

I essentially switched from generalist to devops then to this with no preparation in between and it was all fine; just googling different things.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Explaining to people how an 86400 TTL DNS record can potentially take more than 48 hours to propagate a change is frustrating.

Kinda fun because the math behind it is super interesting to me and fun to produce for people.

But also frustrating because they never get it.

"But 86400 is just 24 hours, so how?"

Also ffs stop making 86400 TTL's jfc.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Have you thought of looking into Controls work or general project management? There are more options if you're willing to go a bit wider

Mugsley wrote: »
    Have you thought of looking into Controls work or general project management? There are more options if you're willing to go a bit wider

Yeah see this is kinda the problem, I don't know what either of those terms actually mean. I've been working in the sticks my whole life for companies that are allergic to every fucking cool thing out there.

I am strongly suspicious that I am skill bankrupt and that I'm gonna have to go hat in hand to my wife and talk about going to college or some shit because I don't know how else to bridge the gap.