As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Been having on-and-off issues with my DENON just not outputting a signal to my subwoofer that forced me to to do a factory reset of my AV3700 and redo the calibrations. After all that it seemed my system was finally working again only now the Samsung TV won't recognize eARC. If I power cycle everything and go to the TV settings the AV shows up in the audio device list but when I try and select it disappears and then it doesn't show up again.

This shit can be so frustrating...

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Been having on-and-off issues with my DENON just not outputting a signal to my subwoofer that forced me to to do a factory reset of my AV3700 and redo the calibrations. After all that it seemed my system was finally working again only now the Samsung TV won't recognize eARC. If I power cycle everything and go to the TV settings the AV shows up in the audio device list but when I try and select it disappears and then it doesn't show up again.

This shit can be so frustrating...

HDMI onward was a mistake.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I gave up late last night, but I think I'll actually pull the TV plug before power cycling again. Maybe it was just Android TV being a dick.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've only gotten eARC to work once in my life

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Killing time while I was getting a tire patched I wandered over to the local hifi store and couldn't resist picking up a Grado Black 3 Cartridge for my turn table. Excited to see how it sounds, or if I can even tell.

edited June 2022
    So the Grado does sound a bit fuller in the mids and mid lows, and a bit more clear as well. Was it a $100 upgrade? mayyyyyybe. It does sound very good though. I tested with Bohemian Rhapsody since it has a lot of fun elements.

webguy20 on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So the Grado does sound a bit fuller in the mids and mid lows, and a bit more clear as well. Was it a $100 upgrade? mayyyyyybe. It does sound very good though. I tested with Bohemian Rhapsody since it has a lot of fun elements.

Next time consider the Ortofon M2 line, they are supposed to give good value for money.

Bones heal, glory is forever.

Next time consider the Ortofon M2 line, they are supposed to give good value for money.

They aren't any cheaper than the Grados, both are well regarded.

• XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Also - any suggestions on a new cartridge as my current one has way to many hours on it?

I'm considering the Ortofon M2 series, but also the Audio-Technica OC-9 series and the later is based on a recommendation from a friend only the original OC-9 he knows is long out of production and there is now a whole OC-9 range.

i've always been a fan of nagaoka. https://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAJT555.html if you're good at keeping clean records, consider trying one out. (the shibata type is quite revealing)

Xantus on
    Xantus wrote: »
    Also - any suggestions on a new cartridge as my current one has way to many hours on it?

I'm considering the Ortofon M2 series, but also the Audio-Technica OC-9 series and the later is based on a recommendation from a friend only the original OC-9 he knows is long out of production and there is now a whole OC-9 range.

i've always been a fan of nagaoka. https://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAJT555.html if you're good at keeping clean records, consider trying one out. (the shibata type is quite revealing)

Interesting - certainly one I will look into. Revealing is good and I do make an effort to keep my records in good condition, however I do also have a few 2nd hand ones that have lived a hard life - like for example a couple of Beatles albums of which one is even a unauthorized one which was printed in the Soviet Union (you can imagine the quality of that pressing). Once I make the cartridge replacement I shall likely retire some of those records.

Picking a cartridge really has me scratching my head, not only what to pick but also if I should go for something moving magnet or a moving coil. I'm trying to research on what will match best with the arm on my turntable, as the weight of the whole setup seem to matter or rather some people suggest it is critical to make the right match and others say everything is fine as long as weight, angles and thus height is setup right then all is good. My arm is a Helius Orion one, only I do not know what exact version of it I have.

Picking a cartridge really has me scratching my head, not only what to pick but also if I should go for something moving magnet or a moving coil. I'm trying to research on what will match best with the arm on my turntable, as the weight of the whole setup seem to matter or rather some people suggest it is critical to make the right match and others say everything is fine as long as weight, angles and thus height is setup right then all is good. My arm is a Helius Orion one, only I do not know what exact version of it I have.

well that is a rather nice arm that usually gets paired with carts that are around 1-2k$ so that's a whole different ballgame. what's your pre-amp? if you do not already have a nice MC-pre then that makes the decision easier..

I just want 5 turntables set up with different cartridges that I can hot swap between the same pre-amp, amp and speakers.

I just want 5 turntables set up with different cartridges that I can hot swap between the same pre-amp, amp and speakers.

https://www.fluance.com/rt81-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle

this is a similar price to the table you got, but it supports detachable headshells ;D

edited June 2022

https://www.fluance.com/rt81-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle

this is a similar price to the table you got, but it supports detachable headshells ;D

The problem isn't not having a detachable headshell. Changing the cartridge on mine took like under 5 minutes including calibration. Its having access to a bunch of different options to listen to, and be able to A/B switch on the fly. If I wanted 5 good cartridges to listen to, it'd be like $1000-$1500. It doesn't matter how fast I can swap them, I can't afford them to begin with, especially just doing a listening test.

webguy20 on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    What Bluetooth headset would y’all recommend for a person with a big head and big ears? My ears stick out like half radar dishes so that’s what I’m dealing with.

In terms of budget below $150 is best, but I will go over if needed for comfort. I’m primarily going to be using these around the house when I’m working/caring for baby to listen to audiobooks, occasionally some music.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited June 2022
    <SNIP>
    well that is a rather nice arm that usually gets paired with carts that are around 1-2k$ so that's a whole different ballgame. what's your pre-amp? if you do not already have a nice MC-pre then that makes the decision easier..

I may have something of a luxury problem.

I was lucky and picked up my turntable for cheap back when vinyl was essentially dead, it brought me a Pink Triangle with the Helius Orion arm and a Shinon Blue cartridge. There has been a while where I haven't really been doing much with it, but I recently got back into the listening thing as I managed to pick up a dream amp of mine, a ML 532.H which has lifted everything sound wise. So now more wants more.
    I have picked up an older Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre-amp, that is said to have a really nice phono stage able to handle both MM and MC. I'm sort of spoiled.

BlindZenDriver on
    edited June 2022
    <SNIP>

I have picked up an older Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre-amp, that is said to have a really nice phono stage able to handle both MM and MC. I'm sort of spoiled.

haha, yes. your setup can handle quite a few carts..and it really will just come down to trying some out and seeing how they sound. a general "rule" is that MC's tend to be more detailed and better for subtle music.. while MM can be more "visceral"
    it really comes down to what you want to deal with when it comes to price and replacing tips.. MC is usually going to be much more expensive than MM.

lately i've finally gotten around to starting to digitize my records.
    starting with a 45rpm of an old classic.. what do ya think? ;D

Xantus on
    <SNIP>

haha, yes. your setup can handle quite a few carts..and it really will just come down to trying some out and seeing how they sound. a general "rule" is that MC's tend to be more detailed and better for subtle music.. while MM can be more "visceral"
    it really comes down to what you want to deal with when it comes to price and replacing tips.. MC is usually going to be much more expensive than MM.

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion, only if possible I'll try to pick the right cartridge in the first go - or at the very least one that is going to sound so great that I'll stick to that for a while. Music wise I listen to all sorts, mostly pop or classic rock - only there is also classical music and electronic music and really most everything.
    My theory when it comes to the equipment is that details, control and accuracy makes most everything more enjoyable - all though I must say some music productions have revealed them self to be mixed so poorly it doesn't matter if using a boom box or a good system.
    :) That is a cool track. Sound is good, what sort of setup are you using to digitize?

I have actually been working on digitizing for a very long time calendar wise, with some 400-500 albums and a few hand fulls of 45's it has been taking it's time. While doing so, some of the music have actually been put out in remastered versions, so some of what I have digitized I have also acquired in those new remastered versions. Mostly I like the remasters, but not always.

So far my setup for digitizing has been the turn table -> a old Rotel pre-amp( for the phono stage) -> a SONY 60ES dat, working as the AD-converter -> optical cable to my PC's sound card. And software wise I'm using Audacity, but really most any program would do as only really save the music and I've gone with 44.1KHz 16 bit.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Which version is that? The production style of the first couple of minutes sounds a fair bit later than the year the original Opus III track came out, and hunting around on discogs isn't getting me anything that matches it.

In the past I have been critical of true wireless earbuds because they are expensive, their batteries can't be replaced, and I fear I could easily lose one but this past week is making me reconsider. Now that they have noise cancellation I'm seeing people use them in industrial environments to cancel out noise and be able to speak in a normal voice. Also, while at a hotel this past week a dickhead construction next door to me didn't turn his alarm off when he left at 4AM. I am now interested in compact noise cancelling earbuds and wonder if anyone has any experience with them besides Airpods since I am an android user.

<SNIP>

I have actually been working on digitizing for a very long time calendar wise, with some 400-500 albums and a few hand fulls of 45's it has been taking it's time.
    heh, that is the real rub.. it does take a long time.. especially if some unforseen scratch or noise means re-doing a whole track >.>
    i do music production also, so my digitizing setup is a: Project Debut-Nagaoka 555 > Lounge LCR pre > Akai MPC One. i usually add a little mastering in the MPC and export at 48/24.
    or i just sample my records and make remixes/jams. here's a jam sampling Dust In the Wind

<SNIP>
    heh, that is the real rub.. it does take a long time.. especially if some unforseen scratch or noise means re-doing a whole track >.>
    i do music production also, so my digitizing setup is a: Project Debut-Nagaoka 555 > Lounge LCR pre > Akai MPC One. i usually add a little mastering in the MPC and export at 48/24.
    or i just sample my records and make remixes/jams. here's a jam sampling Dust In the Wind

Neat and a way more creative approach you have.

I'm just sampling, the only adjustment I do is setting the level on my DAT that does the AD conversion to the highest possible level without it clipping, this sometimes makes me redo the same side on an album 2-3 times to get it just right. Annoyingly the level of the different albums isn't the same, in fact there is some albums where the A side and the B side differ.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    In the past I have been critical of true wireless earbuds because they are expensive, their batteries can't be replaced, and I fear I could easily lose one but this past week is making me reconsider. Now that they have noise cancellation I'm seeing people use them in industrial environments to cancel out noise and be able to speak in a normal voice. Also, while at a hotel this past week a dickhead construction next door to me didn't turn his alarm off when he left at 4AM. I am now interested in compact noise cancelling earbuds and wonder if anyone has any experience with them besides Airpods since I am an android user.

Sony's buds are expensive, but AFAIK the next best thing to their over-ear noise cancelling phones. I have the latter and they are ridiculously good.

Got some stands for the speakers and having them almost twice as far apart has really helped the soundstage. A lot easier to pick out the off center sounds.

Also still loving the record player after a month+ of ownership. I listen to it most afternoons.

Got some stands for the speakers and having them almost twice as far apart has really helped the soundstage. A lot easier to pick out the off center sounds.

Also still loving the record player after a month+ of ownership. I listen to it most afternoons.

Have you experimented with how close to the wall you put the speakers. Plus you can also try pointing them slightly inwards, maybe even have a helper mess with them while you just sit the eyes closed. It is how I finally decided if having the front fabric in place or not was preferable, the difference so small I though I was hearing things :)

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Finally blew up my Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers for my PC! Anyone got any recommendations for a comparable set? Used pretty much just for gaming and music.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Finally blew up my Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers for my PC! Anyone got any recommendations for a comparable set? Used pretty much just for gaming and music.

I'd go with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 series. $150.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I'd go with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 series. $150.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

I'll second the Promedia 2.1's. Mine have served me well for at least 20 years and while a bit ragged and not functioning perfectly they still work and sound pretty damn good.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited July 2022
    As my inlaws continued to clean out their attic they found a set of Bose 4.2 Series 1 speakers and send them home with my wife a few weeks ago. Finally got around to testing them today and they sound pretty good! They benefit from being set up wide and I was able to get them 14ft apart. The speaker is in that angled part.

Not my pictures, but the basic idea.

qdj57smksw89.png
    dla50ox99w4l.png

webguy20 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Finding the magical combination to get eARC working with my television was a giant pain in the ass. And that's between an LG television and an LG soundbar. LG: Our televisions are expensive and don't fucking work with anything, lol.

Now it mostly works, though I do need to use an outlet on a timer to actually force the television to turn on the soundbar when it turns on. But to this day I've only gotten one device that actually sends video over the eARC video in successfully (and it's not HDMI 2.1 so I don't use it anyway). Nothing else ever worked. eARC is basically just "give up an HDMI input to send audio out." At least it's high fidelity.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Finding the magical combination to get eARC working with my television was a giant pain in the ass. And that's between an LG television and an LG soundbar. LG: Our televisions are expensive and don't fucking work with anything, lol.

Now it mostly works, though I do need to use an outlet on a timer to actually force the television to turn on the soundbar when it turns on. But to this day I've only gotten one device that actually sends video over the eARC video in successfully (and it's not HDMI 2.1 so I don't use it anyway). Nothing else ever worked. eARC is basically just "give up an HDMI input to send audio out." At least it's high fidelity.

I only have experience with Samsung televisions, but eArc pisses me off on every level. It sounds just like a great idea! Sound and video through the same cable both ways so I can use the fucking receiver or sound bar or whatever and not introduce another goddamn remote control into the situation.

Then they bury the settings to even turn that thing on somewhere in the "Advanced" section next to a bunch of other HDMI settings. Or maybe we put it in the Picture settings this time.

Then, oh wait, you made sure to check the back of the panel that you had the correct HDMI port. Right? Cause you gotta use one specifically. You can't use just any one.

You do all of that and it doesn't work or at best it works like, at first, then dies.

I say this all as a guy who bought 8K HDMI 2.1 cables directly from monoprice and upgraded every cable on my house.

I got it working with a Samsung television, sound bar, and Roku Ultra and I'll never change the setup because you can do everything with the Roku remote and it's a godsend for my partner.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    As the guy that first brought the problem up way back when, I was able to resolve that issue by doing a complete power cycle (unplugging and everything) of the TV and the AV receiver.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Synthesis wrote: »

I only have experience with Samsung televisions, but eArc pisses me off on every level. It sounds just like a great idea! Sound and video through the same cable both ways so I can use the fucking receiver or sound bar or whatever and not introduce another goddamn remote control into the situation.

Then they bury the settings to even turn that thing on somewhere in the "Advanced" section next to a bunch of other HDMI settings. Or maybe we put it in the Picture settings this time.

Then, oh wait, you made sure to check the back of the panel that you had the correct HDMI port. Right? Cause you gotta use one specifically. You can't use just any one.

You do all of that and it doesn't work or at best it works like, at first, then dies.

I say this all as a guy who bought 8K HDMI 2.1 cables directly from monoprice and upgraded every cable on my house.

I got it working with a Samsung television, sound bar, and Roku Ultra and I'll never change the setup because you can do everything with the Roku remote and it's a godsend for my partner.

I came to my LG C1 from a Samsung Q70R (of a few years earlier) shortly before I moved. As far as Reddit and everywhere else I've checked on social media is concerned (and I spent quite a few months on this), while Samsung's compatibility with non-Samsung A/V peripherals is mixed (like Vizio and a few other companies), it's still much fucking better than LG. LG, who are unreliable with their own brand of soundbar because fuck. The situation is infuriating. Would I completely avoid LG televisions for that reason alone? Yes (originally), and no (after I spent a few weeks trying to fix it).

eARC, by contrast, is just a fucking nightmare by design. Or it is with eARC-supporting LG soundbars, at least. My Xbox Series X is the only device I've ever gotten to successfully send video over eARC, which ironically is one that would be inherently limited by the HDMI 2.0 standard. My PS4? No. My Surface Pro? No. My RTX 3080TI-equipped PC? No. Ironically, I've never tried doing so with my Xbox One X because, well, there's very little my Series X can't do that it could, and the newer console does everything else better from a standpoint of HDMI 2.1 support.

The fact that I use a little Google Home-compatible "smartplug" to restart my LG soundbar every day at 7 AM (for precisely one minute) so that the LG television will actually turn it on correctly when I use it in the evening seems like a good metaphor for how half-assed the whole situation is. As oppose to 3 years of my Samsung television turning on my old-ass Vizio soundbar (over S/PDIF) every time. And yes, I'm terrified of unplugging anything. If I want to dust off my soundbar, I have someone else hold it up so it can stay plugged in.

Also, unlike over headphones, Dolby Atmos over the soundbar causes a short but unacceptable delay (maybe 200 MS or so; I don't really have a means to test it), so I use 5.1 instead. But honestly I don't really blame LG for that (or I just don't care after all the pain in the ass).

Synthesis on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    My LG TV (ARC, not eARC) powers on my Samsung soundbar every time without fail. The only complaint I have is that sometimes when I turn the PS5 on (which is routed through the soundbar) the soundbar will flick to that HDMI input, then something will pull it back to just running audio from the TV again, even if the TV is set to to the HDMI input from the soundbar (which is where I want it to be for the PS5 or XSX).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I realized I never posted a finished setup photo. I'm pretty happy with everything so far! My next upgrade, probably next year, will be a Schiit Vidar Amp and Saga+ pre-amp, and that should push those Klipsch about as hard as they can go.

qtzts7673wdm.jpg
    gc4vfoa52cmg.jpg

I realized I never posted a finished setup photo. I'm pretty happy with everything so far! My next upgrade, probably next year, will be a Schiit Vidar Amp and Saga+ pre-amp, and that should push those Klipsch about as hard as they can go.

qtzts7673wdm.jpg
    gc4vfoa52cmg.jpg

Looks good. Something to be enjoyed.
    Only you might consider the blue crate you're using, the color clashes a bit I think :)

I like your upgrade plans also, do you plan buying new or is pre-owned an option?

I have started to follow a philosophy of just upgrading one piece at a time, the idea being that this will let me enjoy each upgrade more and also be able to better tell what made what difference. Hopefully it will also mean getting more enjoyment out of every $ spend on upgrading, but the downside is having to possibly hold back if I spot two good bargain at the same time :/

I have had great luck in upgrading buying used gear. I my experience quality gear tends to last and if something demos well and the seller feels trustworthy, then I'm willing to trust it is all good and it has been the case so far (knock on wood...). I am extra careful with anything mechanical, so for example if I were to buy a turn table I would not value a cartridge. Also since anything digital keeps evolving fast, this means I won't touch a DAC that is more than a year or two old - a amp on the other hand can be 10+ years and I am fine with that.

Next upgrade for me will be a new cartridge as I am still undecided on what to get, plus I need to do something furniture wise as the "new" amp won't fit and is currently on the floor except for a piece of ½' MDF keeping somewhat safe.

edited August 2022

qtzts7673wdm.jpg
    gc4vfoa52cmg.jpg

Looks good. Something to be enjoyed.
    Only you might consider the blue crate you're using, the color clashes a bit I think :)

I like your upgrade plans also, do you plan buying new or is pre-owned an option?

I have started to follow a philosophy of just upgrading one piece at a time, the idea being that this will let me enjoy each upgrade more and also be able to better tell what made what difference. Hopefully it will also mean getting more enjoyment out of every $ spend on upgrading, but the downside is having to possibly hold back if I spot two good bargain at the same time :/

I have had great luck in upgrading buying used gear. I my experience quality gear tends to last and if something demos well and the seller feels trustworthy, then I'm willing to trust it is all good and it has been the case so far (knock on wood...). I am extra careful with anything mechanical, so for example if I were to buy a turn table I would not value a cartridge. Also since anything digital keeps evolving fast, this means I won't touch a DAC that is more than a year or two old - a amp on the other hand can be 10+ years and I am fine with that.

Next upgrade for me will be a new cartridge as I am still undecided on what to get, plus I need to do something furniture wise as the "new" amp won't fit and is currently on the floor except for a piece of ½' MDF keeping somewhat safe.

I feel that records are required to sit in a milk crate. Also modern square milk crates are smaller than they used to be, we had to “borrow” this long one from my wifes work.

I'm also totally fine buying well kept used equipment. Like 95% of hifi is solid state and isn't going to burn out for decades if used appropriately. The only reason I have to buy the amp and the pre-amp at the same time is because my current amp is integrated, and the Vidar is a dedicated amp, though I was browsing the website and the Ragnarok is a beautiful integrated amp, $1600 for the do everything version though, but that's only about $300 more than the separates. Something to be said in regards to space savings for a well built all in one.

As far as cartridges, I'm a big fan of Grado, but I love their "sound" so am pretty biased.

webguy20 on
    edited August 2022

I feel that records are required to sit in a milk crate.

i don't have much space at my current place, so i had to get a bit creative with storage and stacking ;D

o97soo0cg0e8.jpg

Xantus on

i don't have much space at my current place, so i had to get a bit creative with storage and stacking ;D

o97soo0cg0e8.jpg

You're good, there's at least one milk crate there.

What hardware you running?

You're good, there's at least one milk crate there.

What hardware you running?

heh, there's 2 more crates to the left. rig's a project-debut, Lounge Pre, into a Stax srm-xh (with a fairly ridiculous custom power supply, that's the bottom box)
    underneath the turntable is a marantz cd 67
    ive had most of this stuff for over a decade now and its still runnin strong