As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Countdown to Conor going completely off the rails starting... Now!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Countdown to Conor going completely off the rails starting... Now!

He needs to complete the Sycho Sid transformation and attack someone with a squeegee.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    If he starts cutting Sid promos, business is about to pick up.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    What's really strange about Conor though is the way he fights these days though
    I understand that he's not going to be the same guy that made that incredible championship run and aging is inevitable but I don't recall him ever being this dumb inside the ring
    Much of his success in fact was avoiding damage and getting himself into position to land that left hand
    Fight iq isn't something that should get worse with age but now you see him taking really dumb risks like jumping for that guillotine twice which defied any logical explanation. Also the fact that he lost the second fight with Dustin via calf kicks is crazy. Like that's incredibly effective but it also is what I would consider a noob strategy because it is so easy to avoid. I feel like Joe Rogan has been talking about leg kicking a striker as a road to victory every ufc for years
    I don't think early Conor would have ever done anything that stupid

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    What's really strange about Conor though is the way he fights these days though
    I understand that he's not going to be the same guy that made that incredible championship run and aging is inevitable but I don't recall him ever being this dumb inside the ring
    Much of his success in fact was avoiding damage and getting himself into position to land that left hand
    Fight iq isn't something that should get worse with age but now you see him taking really dumb risks like jumping for that guillotine twice which defied any logical explanation. Also the fact that he lost the second fight with Dustin via calf kicks is crazy. Like that's incredibly effective but it also is what I would consider a noob strategy because it is so easy to avoid. I feel like Joe Rogan has been talking about leg kicking a striker as a road to victory every ufc for years
    I don't think early Conor would have ever done anything that stupid

Southpaw vs. southpaw fights are almost always going to look sloppy compared to southpaw vs. orthodox. There are far fewer training partners operating at a high level and then you need to try and find one with the right specialties to emulate the fight opponent.

Calf kicks aren't too hard to avoid in kickboxing but the defenses against them mean being lighter on the front foot which makes sitting down on a rear hand punch less viable, which lessens Conor's power shot, and can leave you more open for a takedown as you end up more back-weighted, which is also dangerous against a skilled grappler. Obviously both are better than having your calf swell up like a balloon but it's something that really throws a wrench into what would have been the logical game plan for Conor in that matchup: It can really screw up a boxer, some of the normal leg kick defenses aren't as effective against it, and because it can hit with the foot and not the shin it has a much longer range than a traditional leg kick so it can give a guy who may not have the longest legs (like Poirier) surprising reach.

Today we're a lot more familiar with the technique but it's still relatively new and a lot of people weren't sold on it until Poirier used it so much. It's also the kind of thing that's hard to work into normal training because even a few of those thrown lightly during lighter sparring hurt like hell and even if you don't have to worry about being a dick to your training partners a few of those landing can derail the rest of the day's training.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Everybody stopped caring about MMA, but my new place is near a B-Dubs that shows UFC so I'm trying to get back into the habit of watching ppvs. This one looks like a promising card.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Everybody stopped caring about MMA, but my new place is near a B-Dubs that shows UFC so I'm trying to get back into the habit of watching ppvs. This one looks like a promising card.
    Honestly most of the places around here haven’t been showing fights, and some of the women headline fights have been really good.

• Options
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Honestly most of the places around here haven’t been showing fights, and some of the women headline fights have been really good.

The pandemic didn't help, but it feels like the switch to ESPN+ instead of being on tv hurt a lot.

• Options
    I feel like the awful cards full of cans to appease their ESPN+ contract hurt a lot :disappointed:

Fantastic main card just gone by though. Bunch of absolute firecrackers.

• Options
    The main event was amazing I thought Glover was done for several times before Jiri caught him in the submission.

• Options
    Crazy to catch him in the choke at the end like that too.

I was rooting for Texeira and was beyond gutted when he tried to jump the gilly.

Exhaustion no doubt playing a factor in the decision making, but still...

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    There were some fantastic back and forth wars going on.

Was also really fun to see my GF learning so many little details of the game and reacting to fight decisions(like the jumping guard) as immediately as I did haha.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Last two fights on this Fight Night have been good. Love a body shot KO.

Onama vs Landwehr was the awesome kind of fight that is the reason I always come back to watching MMA.

Magell on
  • Options
  • Options
    That was nuts
    The biological warfare at the end there too

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    That was nuts
    The biological warfare at the end there too

The whole bar started laughing at that move.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Omg Leon
    What a round

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    19-19
    Leon isn't going to be able to keep up this pace though I don't think for five rounds

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Usman 29-28
    Leon really getting tired here
    Usman way too dominant

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    39-37
    Leon needs a finish now balls to the wall let's do it

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Oh my God

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Holy shit not even Gilbert burns could do that

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Right before that happened I was thinking he wasn't fighting like a guy who needed a finish to win.

What a fucking kick!

• Options
    I was just thinking how Edwards hadn't really thrown a head kick all fight long and then... That happened!

Our room went from entirely dejected to screaming and jumping in very short order!

Amazing setup with the jab feint.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    holy shit
    this is some crazy ass shit
    so UFC 279 is happening tomorrow
    the top of the card was supposed to be Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz, Kevin Holland vs Daniel Rodriguez, and Tony Ferguson vs Li JingLiang
    As is customary for UFC PPVs there are press conferences on Thursdays, Weigh ins on Fridays and the event is on Saturday
    Apparently yesterday, Chimaev and Holland got into a scrap backstage causing the press conference to be cancelled
    now today, Chimaev apparently missed weight by 7 pounds so now everyone is basically fighting someone different
    its now going to be Chimaev vs Holland, Diaz vs Ferguson and Leech vs Rodriguez, 24 hours before their fights, they all get different opponents
    I can't imagine NSAC is very happy with all this shit lol

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Like this is the closest we're gonna get to early ufc/pride tournament days where we get to see who is the best fighter and not like who can gameplan etc

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I'm pleased that Nate is no longer being fed to Chimaev, but this truly is some next level fuckery.

Part of me is wondering if this wasn't all orchestrated by The Tomato after the backstage fight. There's just no way that Chimaev misses weight by that much accidentally. The dude changed weight classes in a matter of days previously!

• Options
  • Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular

It is with great sadness we acknowledge the passing of Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.

The BELLATOR family is devastated by his untimely passing and we send our condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time.

:'(

As far as I can tell there's no information about what exactly, but that he had been sick (not covid19) for quite some time.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    From what I read, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma complicated by something else

RIP Rumble

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Wonderboy vs. Holland was absolutely what I needed after a rough week recovering from a cold/flu/sinus infection/whatever non-covid respiratory thing hit me. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and I'm definitely going to try to work in hook kicks to my personal arsenal.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Yea that fight was probably the most fun fight I've ever seen.

Besides just the incredible set of skills, excitement and amazing matchup(both fighters just straight agreeing to fight on the feet no matter what) the fact that they were both having so much fun in there too really made it a great experience. And the respect they had for eachother.

Still sad how it ended but damn. What a truly amazing fight. One of the all time greats there.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    It's been a while MMA thread, I hope you've all been well, I just needed somewhere to ask can we please talk about how Conor McGregor's gone on some kind of incredible "juice cleanse" and looks like he's put on 30 lbs of muscle and 5 additional lbs of face? His Instagram page is just crazy lately.

Edit: if it wasn't clear those numbers are meant to be hyperbolic but holy moly.

Peen on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    It's been a while MMA thread, I hope you've all been well, I just needed somewhere to ask can we please talk about how Conor McGregor's gone on some kind of incredible "juice cleanse" and looks like he's put on 30 lbs of muscle and 5 additional lbs of face? His Instagram page is just crazy lately.

Edit: if it wasn't clear those numbers are meant to be hyperbolic but holy moly.

Chael Sonnen says he's clean, so you know he's on more stuff than the Liver King.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Chael Sonnen says he's clean, so you know he's on more stuff than the Liver King.

Yeah, but if managed by professionals he can definitely be on a bunch of stuff and pee clean when he needs to.

Although how manageable Conor is, is up for debate.