As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

1636465666769»

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Warrior Priest looks mechanically fun IMO. Aesthetically I still dislike Warrior Priest saltz. IMO his character is too gaunt to fill out the armor well. There was some fringe speculation that Lohner's artist Cattrinne may have been a vampire and that she might turn Saltz into a Vampire Saltz, which think would have been interesting. But those hammers look pretty fun even if I think Saltz looks a bit like a scrawny nerd dressed up for some kind of fantasy convention while he's using them.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Is it because this is, and will forever be, the epitome of imperial warrior priest?
    https://youtu.be/2iO9cGopQq0

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Pretty much. Saltz is amazing, but he's a completely different archetype than warrior priest. Hitting things with hammers is always fun though. I haven't tried the new career yet, but it looks fun. I just don't think that it fits his body type thematically.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    It's fun. It super encourages getting in somethings face. The lack of ranged weapons, a meter that builds on kills, invulnerability. It is super fun to go invulnerable and go toe to toe with a rat ogre or other monster for a few precious seconds. Not sure how effective he is on high difficulties but he was super fun on champion.

• Options
    I still don't have firsthand experience wit him yet, but from what I've heard that his righteous fury mechanic scales better into harder difficulties since it will have more uptime. Some people have reported a lack of killing power with him, but I'm not sure if there is actually a problem or if it's just people who were spoiled by SotT's ability to just spam 'F' a couple of times to delete everything.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Managed to play some weaves and chaos wastes this weekend.

Really enjoy the novelty of new maps and objectives etc.

Not as much of a fan of regular progression restarts.

Will play some more and see if I settle into it more or not.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Weaves was kind of dead on arrival. If you have some friends, then enjoy it for kicks. But the majority of the playerbase ignores it. I kind of love Chaos Wastes. I find the mode to be fun, and it's also a good way to farm reds. Ironically the mode that's good for farming reds is also the mode where your gear doesn't matter. :lol:

I still need to get back into weaves and grind the rest of the "purified" skins for the rest of the cast.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't really like either game mode, to be honest. I was really put off by the concept of the weaves and their "I know you did a ton of grinding to get the gear you've got now, so how about a new game mode where you don't get to use any of it? Also, the gear you grind for in that mode won't actually be usable in the main game?" schtick. Doubly so when they did it again with Chaos Wastes. I'm not the sort of fella that wants to play over and over again for the chance to maybe potentially get a red weapon that has a chance to be the type I like playing with in general, let alone doing it twice.

I would have rather had more singleplayer/co-op levels added to the main game, even if it was just porting over some of the bajillion other Ubersreik levels from the first game - and could actually add some of the more interesting levels instead of just the ones that players "played the most of" (and as good as they are, the only reason they were the most played levels was because they were the easiest ones for people to grind grims and tomes on).

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The gear grind was not a good feature of the game, and I appreciate their attempts to give players game modes that alter it without removing it entirely. I think CW does that much better than Weaves.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Yeah. IMO gear grind and the leveling grind to unlock the talents are both terrible "features." I wish games would go back to the days of left4dead where you just have THE GAME and can just start playing it without havingto sink hours and hours into it just to reach "endgame."

Chaos wastes is the closest that we get to that. No need for a prerequisite of slogging through gear grind. Just dive on in and enjoy the rogue-like mode.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    It would have been better if the weaves and wastes granted additional bonuses without removing the ones from the standard campaign.

Especially when certain talents and bonuses might change the way you play your class, so having 3 different ways to play the same character or class depending on map gets a bit confusing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chaos Wastes has become my favorite mode. I play Legend for a Challenge and Champion when I want to goof off with different classes and builds. As a result I have somewhere around 75 Legend Vaults I haven't opened and more red dust than I can shake a stick at. If you succeed a Citadel Journey you can get 3 chests/vaults.

At some point I plan to open the chests and make all Saltzspyre's new weapon red.

My point is its a fun mode where you can get alot of chests to use on the main map.

The Overpowered Grudge Monster Combos has stolen some of my enjoyment but generally I love the wastes.

• Options
    Playing a bit more:

Doing the Weaves became enjoyable once I realized I needed to level up my medallion to unlock my class talents again. Its really nice as a quick way to do a level. Unfortunately at the recruit level, I find its hard to find players that are better than bots.

Also tested out a full Chaos Wastes quest. Enjoyed the novelty more, and the boons and final rewards were very nice. Not sure I would want to commit to it with a PUG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The thing about chaos wastes is that it's possible to get the right combination of boons to become OP and hard carry the matches yourself. Although now potential grudge monster combinations can stop some of the cheesier combos. A few things to keep in mind:
    • the potency of the map modifiers increases in the later missions, so be wary of +specials maps near the end of the run
    • unless your team is amazing at killing monsters, DO NOT purchase the boon that summons a super monster from shops that immediately precede the finally
    • do not kill loot rats on tzneetchian twins maps (they turn into twin rat ogres)
    • do not allow chaos warriors or beastman flag bearers to be struck by tzneetchian bolts of change (they can turn into monsters)
    • crit power is near worthless. Do not value it when choosing the next map. I swear this is the biggest noob trap and a massive red flag/canary in the coal mine if your teammates all clamor for it like it's the holy grail.
    • while crit power is worthless, crit RATE is very strong and has very strong synergy with many boons
    • block cost reduction is extremely strong. I swear that this is the inverse of crit power and the average newbie woefully underestimates BCR.
    • once you approach the final maps, try to save some coins so that you always have enough to upgrade your weapons. I see lot of people splurge in shops and then be penniless once the orange/red anvils show up. Sometimes it's worth grabbing the boons from the shop, but think long and hard about it.

A tip for the first arena finale is to just hold out where you spawn into the map. It's a pretty good defensive position right there. Sadly the average pug wants to run into the deathtrap that is the exact center of the map at the top of all of the stairs where enemies can attack you from every direction.

For the final arena finale, it's safest to advance to one of the far back corners. That way you have long killing fields against approaching mobs, and have some fences behind your back to protect you from being knocked off a ledge by monsters. The final arena is relatively easy in respect to the gauntlet through "not-anor-londo" that precedes it. DO NOT underestimate that penultimate map. Stick with the team and don't take unnecessary risks.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    New update for Chaos Wastes. New Demon aligned maps. Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgoBHAIafk

I still have a ton of fun in this game so I'm a bit pumped. Chaos waste is my favorite mode.

Also, I plan on getting Darktide assuming my potato can run it. I figure if anything kills my playing Vermintide 4-5 times a week it will be playing Darktide 4-5 times a week.

Darktide trailer in case you don't religiously watch gaming sites:
    Vermintide 40k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlkLDpODBA

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Warptide would have been a better name, I think

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    since they're on sale, anyone have any recommendations on Vermintide 2 DLC for a new player? They don't seem to have great Steam reviews

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    since they're on sale, anyone have any recommendations on Vermintide 2 DLC for a new player? They don't seem to have great Steam reviews

The base game and free expansions (Chaos Wastes) have everything you need.

If you want, maybe buy the expanded classes (Grail Knight, Engineer, Thorne, Warrior Priest)

And maybe the classic maps pack, or the Winds of Magic if you get sick of the current map selection.

Winds of Magic doesnt so much give new maps, as let you replay the current ones in new ways with different goals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Played the update and was a little disappointed.

The new maps were fun. Fighting Bela'kor's minions was a nice new mechanic. They floaty skulls were an annoying ammo drain and not a huge threat.

I did not like the boon additions and reworks. Part of my fun was the randomness (chaos in the chaos wastes) that could result in a stupid build like Bounty Hunter Lightning Exploding Crits Twin Arrow or you could get crappy boons and do 300% more damage with powder barrels.

By moving the really good boons to weapon traits it means you can't double up on them and you won't get them until late game because you need an orange weapon.

The glowing ball pickup mechanic is next to useless, in a large fray its difficult to pick them up except by accident and when multiple people are spewing them remembering what color does what, add to that their benefit was negligible,

I feel they balanced it out fairly well but the fun was the potential to get unbalanced builds. I can't see me continuing to play this much longer. I'll see what patches/rebalances come out and give it a run or two more to confirm my opinion but I think they finally managed to suck the joy from me like Colin from What we do in Shadows.

Riboflavin on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone in the Dark Tide beta?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Anyone in the Dark Tide beta?

yea, there's also a dedicated thread for it

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Wait! What!?
    Vermintide 2 - Dev Blog: Versus closed alpha test happening this week:
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/552500/view/3967175440822083727
    sg38rb17jpp9.jpg

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    A Parting of the Waves, a free new update, is coming to Verminitie 2 PC on April 11
    https://youtu.be/Apy_z268weo
    -New map with the conclusion of the Karak Azgaraz storyline (not a Vermintide 1 mission remaster)
    -New enemy type: chaos warrior armed with a shield and mace