As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie and @ecco the dolphin have been playing Stardew Valley often.

He finally upgraded his cabin to a larger structure. Ellie has been highly amusing herself by decorating the cabin.

She very proudly announced the other day "Daddy look! I decorated your bedroom into a dungeon!"

There was much internal snickering

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Lore pronounces "fork" as "fuck" which is always good for a laugh.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    How clean should a 4 year old be?

My 4 year old is mostly clean. At daycare, at her grandparents, in public, she's fine. But at home she's careless and pees and even poops herself. She's also still wearing pull-ups to sleep, and peeing at night doesn't wake her up.

How does that line up with people's experiences?

My now 7 year old boy still wears pull ups to bed because he will wet himself and not wake up. He's a heavy sleeper... A blessing and a curse.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

My 4 year old is mostly clean. At daycare, at her grandparents, in public, she's fine. But at home she's careless and pees and even poops herself. She's also still wearing pull-ups to sleep, and peeing at night doesn't wake her up.

My now 7 year old boy still wears pull ups to bed because he will wet himself and not wake up. He's a heavy sleeper... A blessing and a curse.

Same here. Not too worried about it though, my brother-in-law wore them until he was 11-12, some kids just need them longer.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Same here. Not too worried about it though, my brother-in-law wore them until he was 11-12, some kids just need them longer.

My son has this problem where he downs like 20oz of water 5 seconds before he lays down. Now I'm not an expert on this but I'm or anything but I feel like that may be the reason (on top of not waking up when he feels the need).

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    About a year ago, my son (who would have been barely 10) went through a spell where he was wetting the bed once a week or so. We talked about water consumption, using the bathroom, etc. Nothing seemed to make a dent. Then it just stopped.

Basically parenthood in a nutshell.

dennis on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This sort of talk is why I mostly avoid this thread. If I think about what's ahead it all seems like way too much.

This sort of talk is why I mostly avoid this thread. If I think about what's ahead it all seems like way too much.

It always is. At least for me with 3 kids I always feel like I'm drowning.

But the kids seem to be flourishing so maybe that's just part of parenting.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @electricitylikesme

I mean, you could also end up like me and have 2 kids who were fully potty-trained around 2 years old or so and who haven't wet the bed since, and we never used pull-ups at all.

We have challenges in other areas, naturally, but thankfully not this one! :D

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice on pullups everyone.

What about the fact she has frequent accidents during the day when she's at home? Never (or almost never) elsewhere, but at home she lets herself go.

sig.gif
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

What about the fact she has frequent accidents during the day when she's at home? Never (or almost never) elsewhere, but at home she lets herself go.

That sounds like she has the ability, which is really the important part I think.

Generally speaking kids behave very differently in a lot of ways when at home/with parents vs outside/with teachers, etc

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

So my kids were SUPER different and neither really went in on pull ups Son (8 now) went off diapers super "late", almost 5/6 years old, but transitioned almost 100%. Daughter (currently 4) transitioned off diapers to daytime underwear in basically a day (occasional accidents, but generally related to distractions or excessive water content foods, like eating a quarter watermelon herself) and then transitioned off nighttime diapers within a month or so.

This ACTUALLY led to a bigger (but easily surmountable problem) of getting her into undies sized properly for her because she runs REALLY slender and we hadn't needed them.

If I went through all the cousins, your only takeaway would be "kids be cray cray yo".

Best advice I can give a parent for this kind of thing is "don't force it".

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So folks, about what time did your children start to prefer solid foods to milk/formula? My daughter has been fighting us when we feed her a bottle here recently. Everything on the web says she shouldn’t be getting that many calories from solid food but she will eat whatever we can stick in her mouth so long as it savory. We struggle to get a pint of milk into her but she eating 8 oz of solid food and wanting more.

She also wants to feed herself, and fights us for the spoon every time. Different issue but I generally let her do the last few bites herself and that seems to mostly solve that problem. I have to get it out of the bowl but she will grasp the spoon and shove it straight into her mouth.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    So folks, about what time did your children start to prefer solid foods to milk/formula? My daughter has been fighting us when we feed her a bottle here recently. Everything on the web says she shouldn’t be getting that many calories from solid food but she will eat whatever we can stick in her mouth so long as it savory. We struggle to get a pint of milk into her but she eating 8 oz of solid food and wanting more.

She also wants to feed herself, and fights us for the spoon every time. Different issue but I generally let her do the last few bites herself and that seems to mostly solve that problem. I have to get it out of the bowl but she will grasp the spoon and shove it straight into her mouth.

General advice is "Food before 1 is just for fun." We introduced avocado as our first food I think around 7 months if my photo timeline is accurate. Bea was a pretty adventurous eater and we really pushed her to try new foods (and what we were eating) at dinner and gave her formula the rest of the day and probably 20 minutes after we fed her dinner. The food was definitely more for palate exploration than nutrition though, a lot ended up on the floor! We must have done something right though because she isn't a picky eater at all, only things she doesn't like are onions, sauerkraut, and spicy foods.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We started giving Ellie Rice Cereal at about 4 months. But that was in a hope of getting her to sleep better.

We started actual solid food about 6 months when she started teething and was just taking our food anyways. But still had a bottle and formula.

We went full solids no formula around 1 year old.

We started around six months because Jaina would watch us eat and just. Stare. At. Us. Eyes fixed, licking her lips, like a dog. It was nuts.

You might look up baby led weaning at this point. That's what we did with our kids and it was so much easier than baby food.

Sorry, how old is she?

Steam profile
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Sorry, how old is she?

Oh yeah, 7 months and change.

She ate ~7 ounces of a yogurt/peach purée mix before her bath and wanted more, but I’ve fought her for 20 minutes to get a 4 ounce bottle in her right before bed

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    With my older son we kept a detailed plan of foods, and while we followed baby led weaning he never got something which he hadn't had for a couple of test days a week earlier with no bad reactions. We carefully introduced one or two new foods a week, working from mashed to big chunks that he could chew on.

With my younger, we also followed a detailed food introduction schedule.

1) Avocado
    2) Banana
    3) A plateful of cottage pie
    4) lamb chops, which he ate down to the bone
    5) Err? This child is very hungry for real food

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited June 2022
    I'm still amazed at how easy losing teeth have been with my kids. My almost-11 y.o. just came out of his room and said "I lost another molar!" I never even knew it was loose.

dennis on
    Jaina lost her front bottom teeth like two years ago, and nothing since.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Jaina lost her front bottom teeth like two years ago, and nothing since.

My seven year old lost his first tooth this week.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    You might look up baby led weaning at this point. That's what we did with our kids and it was so much easier than baby food.

I'll say that having a dog that acts as a food vacuum cleaner was a significant advantage as well. Baby led weaning is not a clean proces :)

Ellie has now lost her 4 front teeth. Only 1 of the bottom teeth had grown back so far.

Trying to correct things like "pisghetti" has gotten a lot harder at the moment.

My daughter has almost kept pace with my son, despite being 4 years younger. She's already lost teeth (and gotten replacements) that aren't supposed to be happening for 3-5 years from now. Like, she lost her canines by 6 1/2 and the charts typically say 9-12 years. I think she may need braces by 10.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My son is losing his two top front teeth.
    He had lost the teeth to the side and bottom, but these are being stubborn. The front right started hanging crooked in his mouth, over the left front tooth. I became paranoid that he had lost his baby tooth there already, and I had forgotten it, and this was his adult tooth growing in terribly crooked. He claimed it wasn't a loose baby tooth, and there is no way on god's green earth he will ever let us pull on a tooth, so we made a dentist appointment(he needed one anyways) in case there was something wrong going on.
    He lost the tooth the day before the appointment. (still got his check-up). And now the left front tooth is hanging crooked. He seems fine with it, so we're leaving it until it naturally comes out.

When I was young, I was always pulling and wiggling my teeth to get them out faster. My kids will just let them sit loose until they just fall out, and won't let us touch, wiggle, or otherwise help get them out. Which is.. Ok, it's not really the worst thing ever. But man.. it's almost off..just...yank it..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    He had lost the teeth to the side and bottom, but these are being stubborn. The front right started hanging crooked in his mouth, over the left front tooth. I became paranoid that he had lost his baby tooth there already, and I had forgotten it, and this was his adult tooth growing in terribly crooked. He claimed it wasn't a loose baby tooth, and there is no way on god's green earth he will ever let us pull on a tooth, so we made a dentist appointment(he needed one anyways) in case there was something wrong going on.
    He lost the tooth the day before the appointment. (still got his check-up). And now the left front tooth is hanging crooked. He seems fine with it, so we're leaving it until it naturally comes out.

When I was young, I was always pulling and wiggling my teeth to get them out faster. My kids will just let them sit loose until they just fall out, and won't let us touch, wiggle, or otherwise help get them out. Which is.. Ok, it's not really the worst thing ever. But man.. it's almost off..just...yank it..

Guhhhhh I still have nightmares about my teeth all just shattering or falling out of my head. I almost never remember any of my dreams but those are always enough to wake me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

m!ttens wrote: »

Guhhhhh I still have nightmares about my teeth all just shattering or falling out of my head. I almost never remember any of my dreams but those are always enough to wake me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

It's a pretty common dream, unfortunately. I get them quite frequently. Of course, when I was in college, two of my molars actually DID shatter and fall apart from massive cavities. I had thought it was because of that but then I found out it's much more widespread.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »

It's a pretty common dream, unfortunately. I get them quite frequently. Of course, when I was in college, two of my molars actually DID shatter and fall apart from massive cavities. I had thought it was because of that but then I found out it's much more widespread.

Just last week, I had a dream about just snapping a molar loose between a couple of fingers, real enough to wake me right up.

Fuggin' tooth dreams.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You might want to ask your dentist if you have signs of bruxism. I used to get tooth dreams pretty consistently until I got fitted for a night guard, since it turns out that I clench my jaw pretty hard when I'm asleep. Those mental images are basically your subconscious trying to make sense of "my teeth are hurting", without the necessary context of being awake and knowing that your teeth are grinding together or being pushed into your gums.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Welp, sitting in the hospital waiting on the arrival of our first. Everyone is doing great but lord do I ever feel useless. What did you all do to pass the time?

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    Welp, sitting in the hospital waiting on the arrival of our first. Everyone is doing great but lord do I ever feel useless. What did you all do to pass the time?

Depends on how active the labor is. When my wife starting her first contractions, we just kept watching Harry Potter. My mind is a blank on the second child. Board/card games?

My wife had an intern/student put in her IV wrong (it’s a teaching hospital), causing a fairly large edema to form while we were distracted. When the nurse arrived with the Pitocin she said “oh my…” turned around and left. Came back with like five people to admire and explain what happened and reseat the IV.

I don’t recommend that method of passing the time.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I made sure to keep the wife upbeat and create a calming mood. There’s so much stress and worry going on, especially the first time around, that bringing calm is very important. And don’t worry, I doubt your partner will notice if you’re faking it and a wreck on the inside.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I fell asleep when they were giving my an epidural. After the 1st attempt failed, I kept sleeping through the 2nd and 3rd attempts.

She was not happy about that. 0/10 would not recommend.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    We were sent in for an induction since she is considered "at risk" due to being 35 and so far everything is going super smooth, nurses have been great and no IV complications - @maraji that sounds terrible. I'm sure I'll turn into a quivering mess later but right now it's just Netflix and chill in a hospital room.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    My wife was in labor on Thanksgiving day. When the nurses share some leftover pumpkin pie with you, do not mention how delicious it is and how you haven't eaten all day :lol:

Be careful with making jokes. You uhh... don't want a joke to not land properly, it's not the time....

Steam profile
    We were sent in for an induction since she is considered "at risk" due to being 35 and so far everything is going super smooth, nurses have been great and no IV complications - @maraji that sounds terrible. I'm sure I'll turn into a quivering mess later but right now it's just Netflix and chill in a hospital room.

It was our second, and she’s way tougher than me, so she was pretty calm about it. I think I was the most upset :tongue:

Both of ours were induced (and we were 35 for the first one too), and it took several hours of Pitocin to kick in, and the contractions went from “huh that was weird” to “it’s baby time” really quickly.

Best of luck and I’d second the advice try to be (outwardly) calm and listen to what she is saying as it happens. She’s under a lot of stress and is going to be very focused once everything’s underway - you are the one who can help advocate for her and manage things outside her attention.