As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »
    I like playing Renata: she's along the mold of an enchanter I like, though getting her W and R down is hard. But I've enjoyed playing pretty aggressively with her and getting those passive procs. It encourages me to be in the thick of things...not always in a good way, though.

I just played this game this evening https://na.op.gg/summoners/na/credeiki/matches/ToR5nY0-Y6z6AiMtnmpjbqhN49OYALh5lg_tWKYhMPw=/1654747175000 and Renata Glasc fuckin carried my lane; she came out of it like 5/0 or something. Enemy Senna thought she was going to step up and bully us and every time we were like nah.

Later in the game Renata Glasc was maybe just an ultbot, hard to say, honestly (I didn't really feel like we were working together much after lane for whatever reason). But some games Renata Glasc does absolutely nothing and poses no threat so I'm like...how do I know whether she's going to be useful or not? No idea. Yesterday I played against one who I couldn't kill because she built armor boots and a locket of the iron solari and...sure, I guess that also makes sense?

I should probably play a few games as her to figure out how it feels. Only played a couple when she first came out and it didn't give me much of a sense of anything.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its her w on top of her ult that she should be maximising late so if ur adc and she isnt helping out with that she might as well not exist

obF2Wuw.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Tried a quick practice game to do a few Bel'veth clears in between a couple work meetings. Her first clear seems ROUGH early on. Like gimme a hella good leash. Maybe (probably) I just suck but I got kinda low and she'd be super fragile/susceptible to an invade. Once you get it going and have a few skills she clears really fast though and her clear is pretty fun, Qing all over raptors to basically instantly clear them. I like farming junglers so that's really my speed.

I also thought she might clear the shit out of herald/dragon but it wasn't that great to solo. I figured her E might be pretty good at tanking it and staying at a reasonable hp total but eh I think she's a pretty risky soloer.

Her empowered ult makes her kind of a silly split pusher like wow those minions add up.

Q isn't as hard/picky as I thought it might be. Each Q direction seems to have about a 180 degree arc, so if all four directions are up you can basically go back and forth, you don't have to do the whole up down left right deal.

So I dunno, I'm bad but she seems fun. I was afraid she might be too technical for me but I think it's reasonable.

edited June 2022
    Alright I guess I'm a bel'veth main now. First game 8/2/6 6.1 cs/m, S ranking. When you get some items on her the Q just MELTS people.

My first clear is better now health wise but still GLACIAL.

ChaosHat on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i remember why i quit league, a 45 minute game where our top and mid premade both called gg at 30 seconds and basically ran it down for most of the time while denying surrenders

then the other team, finding it hilarious, refuses to end because we're being tortured, and then their mid laner dcs after their 2nd go around fountain diving, and we won

like, only league can make a 45 minute game that is technically a comeback victory feel like absolute shit from all aspects

aeNqQM9.jpg
    9axpfhpz4rko.png

Just...fuck yes. I just made 5 people ban Bel'veth. She's SO GROSS if she gets ahead. I would basically plow into piles of them uncaring. You get one kill, you get the ult, another one dies, you get the ult, it's BANANAS.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i remember why i quit league, a 45 minute game where our top and mid premade both called gg at 30 seconds and basically ran it down for most of the time while denying surrenders

then the other team, finding it hilarious, refuses to end because we're being tortured, and then their mid laner dcs after their 2nd go around fountain diving, and we won

like, only league can make a 45 minute game that is technically a comeback victory feel like absolute shit from all aspects

But if you pulled the eject button to end your misery early, you’d catch something disapproving from uncle riot.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Just...fuck yes. I just made 5 people ban Bel'veth. She's SO GROSS if she gets ahead. I would basically plow into piles of them uncaring. You get one kill, you get the ult, another one dies, you get the ult, it's BANANAS.

clearly Bel'Veth slaps

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On the flip side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9RjsanJWiw

Boy we were getting our teeth kicked in up until that moment. Turns out the pressure that healing can grant to let you keep pushing hard is good?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited June 2022
    Sometimes it's kind of funny to watch the toxicity from a safe distance. So I was second pick, felt pretty decent about being able to grab Bel'veth, but they ban her. Fuck oh well. So we get into the game and I realize it's a top lane Yuumi named "Belveth diff." Apparently the Rek'sai on their team banned her pick "because it's a bad matchup" even though the Yuumi top had first pick, so she picked the Yuumi to troll hard, or probably just try to force a dodge.

The really funny thing too is that the Yuumi won the lane against our Rumble somehow. She ended the game with 105 cs and our Rumble had 68. In a 30 minute game. So if she didn't troll they probably could have won that game. Also she was a trio queue, and I can't imagine wasting the time of two of my friends in a fit of pique.

Also, I looked up her account info, they've literally never played a Bel'veth game despite the name change. Last game it looks like they played Nami top, so I was curious if there was a Bel'veth ban in that game too. There was, but by the opposite team, so seems really random to punish people with the Nami top. I think tomes could be written about the fucking psychology of people in this game.

I mean I buried the enemy Rek'sai and got an S+ so it was a fucking fantastic time for me.

ChaosHat on
    the best thing to play into bel'veth is rammus

just absolutely destroys bel'veth, it's deeply hilarious. she literally can't hurt you, and has to run away every time you get on screen because you do more damage to her with her own melee attacks.

and it's an excuse to use astro rammus which is always worth

aeNqQM9.jpg
    love the thing where nobody wants to end anymore, other team had a baron at 23 minutes with our entire team dead and just dragged the game out another 20 minutes farming us. and then i get told to kill myself 3 times in the postgame. what a great game league is. idk how saying kys isn't an automatic 7 day ban.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    If they instituted that rule, the active playerbase on any given day would be reduced by 90%

I think I'm back to permabanning lux. This champion is fucking busted.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    love the thing where nobody wants to end anymore, other team had a baron at 23 minutes with our entire team dead and just dragged the game out another 20 minutes farming us. and then i get told to kill myself 3 times in the postgame. what a great game league is. idk how saying kys isn't an automatic 7 day ban.

i am super enjoying the fact that my post game lobbies are totally silent because i never say anything. nothing good comes from the post game lobby.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i am super enjoying the fact that my post game lobbies are totally silent because i never say anything. nothing good comes from the post game lobby.

nonono

u have to type "easiest game of my life" but only when u lose and then flame the shit out of urself like ur a sock puppet twitter account that forgot to swap

obF2Wuw.png
    I really wish there was mandatory 2 factor with a phone number. Would make it significantly harder to just buy a new account after a ban so you'd actually have to behave.

However all the repeat offenders are almost certainly great business for Riot so that will never happen.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    hmm I sense a correlation

c3ncbh0hhvol.png
    the correlation was us getting progressively drunker throughout the night until The Cliff happened

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Seems like you need to die exactly 6 times to win.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Seems like a great deal for gamepass people who have been lol curious or fell off a long time ago and are interested in revisiting.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Alright I've basically given up on being able to pick Bel'veth anymore, at least for the next couple weeks. She's basically pick/ban every game and I refuse to wade into the cesspool of blind pick. The last time I got her I was first overall picked and she wasn't banned, and it was an AFK Ezreal remake.

ChaosHat on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Sounds par for the course for new champs in league. They either launch overpowered or launch underpowered only to be quickly buffed. I guess Riot figures the most efficient way to balance a character is to release them super strong so the community is eager to play them and then usage data guides future adjustments.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »
    Sounds par for the course for new champs in league. They either launch overpowered or launch underpowered only to be quickly buffed. I guess Riot figures the most efficient way to balance a character is to release them super strong so the community is eager to play them and then usage data guides future adjustments.

I think it's just the general excitement of novelty, honestly. Champions don't release all that quickly anymore, so if new content drops people want to play it.
    Alright I've basically given up on being able to pick Bel'veth anymore, at least for the next couple weeks. She's basically pick/ban every game and I refuse to wade into the cesspool of blind pick. The last time I got her I was first overall picked and she wasn't banned, and it was an AFK Ezreal remake.

Playing with 5 stacks helps a bit, though it requires whoever ends up first pick to have the champion. Food for thought. :)

Me elsewhere:

I think it's also basically impossible to get the same kind of relevant data in playtesting and even the PBE. I'd wager they get more game data on a champ in the first day than all the playtesting combined, if not in the first HOURS.

Like I saw people in the Bel'veth mains subreddit showing off their mastery 7 in a couple days. I'd guess there isn't a playtester who has the equivalent playtime on the final, release version of the champion.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »

I think it's just the general excitement of novelty, honestly. Champions don't release all that quickly anymore, so if new content drops people want to play it.

Playing with 5 stacks helps a bit, though it requires whoever ends up first pick to have the champion. Food for thought. :)

They do more often than not release in a very powerful state, though.

Also, 5 stacks don't exactly grown on trees. Even back when I was a nightly player, I think I managed to queue with full team 25% of the time.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    They do more often than not release in a very powerful state, though.

This isn't really true anymore, though I guess definitions may vary. Bel'Veth was at 38% after one day, now up to about 47%.

Looking at the last couple of years, Renata made it to 50.75% on her release patch; Zeri was at 49.05%; Vex hit 48.97%; Viego 43.41%; Gwen started at 40.5% but then got hotfixed after a few days. Akshan hit 51.69% but had two hotfix buffs. (Stats are whatever Google cached, mostly from MetaSRC.) I would argue that anything higher than...I don't know, maybe 48% is probably too high given learning curves, but maybe not. At the very least, they're not usually getting above 50%.

Me elsewhere:
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    You want to err on the side of releasing champs strong. Release them weak and they get loser stink on them, and that’s hard to wash off.

bel'veth is on track to become a busted broken low elo jungler, her winrate is already climing north of 54% at bronze and 52% in silver, and that includes her games at the beginning of the patch where she was sub-35.

odds are good she's going to need a pretty severe power rebalance to take power out of scaling and put it elsewhere, because as is she's looking a lot like yi 2.0

aeNqQM9.jpg
    bel'veth is on track to become a busted broken low elo jungler, her winrate is already climing north of 54% at bronze and 52% in silver, and that includes her games at the beginning of the patch where she was sub-35.

odds are good she's going to need a pretty severe power rebalance to take power out of scaling and put it elsewhere, because as is she's looking a lot like yi 2.0

I think they should rebalance her minion spawning. I think basically every time I've gotten a first herald at 6 I just eat a tower even if it's at full hp/plates. It seems really swingy and hard to balance around it just coming from those two sources. I think they could make it so she ALWAYS gets the minions but they either deal less damage (so they just tank) or they have 1 hp so they're very easily cleared away.

When she was on PBE I saw a lot of comparisons like "if Yi was designed today/a fixed Yi" and let me tell you, only the first one was correct

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    So Bel'veth must have been super delayed or something right? Or do they just kind of come two by two nowadays? Renata and Zeri were almost on top of each other like this, but Bel'veth took a long time so I figured it was part of their "slowing the champion release cadence" they had talked about earlier in the year.

Champ does look cool. Let's hope she jungles.

So Bel'veth must have been super delayed or something right? Or do they just kind of come two by two nowadays? Renata and Zeri were almost on top of each other like this, but Bel'veth took a long time so I figured it was part of their "slowing the champion release cadence" they had talked about earlier in the year.

Champ does look cool. Let's hope she jungles.

IIRC all four of these champs were delayed from when they were originally supposed to come out, but I don't have a citation for any of that. They'd said Beth, Nilah, and reworked Udyr would be closer together than was originally planned, I think.

She's not supposed to jungle, but...

Me elsewhere:
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Strong Gwen vibes from that trailer.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    oh good, someone else who can ignore cc and abilities. those mid mages with their cc have had it too easy. got to make the assassins with their dashes unable to be stunned on their way in.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    If memory serves from when she was initially leaked a couple of weeks ago, she's supposed to be a melee bot-laner.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    oh good, someone else who can ignore cc and abilities. those mid mages with their cc have had it too easy. got to make the assassins with their dashes unable to be stunned on their way in.

It's poppy's time to shine!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    melee bot laner with autoattack immunity for her and her support

god speed riot, enjoy another balance nightmare

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    You want to err on the side of releasing champs strong. Release them weak and they get loser stink on them, and that’s hard to wash off.

Also from a game design perspective it's much easier to trim a characters strengths down or sharpen them to accentuate the strong and Sarah points than it is to add power to a character in way that dosen't just flip them to brokenly overprotected.

When you have 150 fucking characters... This is even more true

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    If memory serves from when she was initially leaked a couple of weeks ago, she's supposed to be a melee bot-laner.

So what you’re saying is, I should play her as support

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.