As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Summer

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Number 4 came out! It was such a good issue. Totally worth the wait.

There is so much going on, almost every page! The level of detail is incredible. Look at the spread on 4 and 5. Really look at it. I am serious. I did not see Zoe in more than one place until the third look.

Man, the Guns tore up that army that was attacking them.

John's vaguely defined force-field thingy and floating eye-spheres of doom kicked some serious butt this issue. Cool to finally see him again. Awe-inspiring to see him in action. If Tom is not dead, things are going to get really ugly with John. "Tom, who I kept out of this because he's lost enough already."

Ryp is amazing. I can't believe he crams so much into a book every month.

I really like the last panel being a fade to black.

DouglasDanger on
  • Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Black Summer is great but you're never going to find a good discussion of it here. Everyone who would have liked it has already been banned.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have no idea what that means since pretty much everyone likes it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Well any one who would be willing discuss it's themes.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007
    Black Summer is great but you're never going to find a good discussion of it here. Everyone who would have liked it has already been banned.

what in the hell are you talking about

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2007
    It is a shame no one wants to talk about this comic. We had a lot of talk before it came out, but not so much since then.

DouglasDanger on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be honest, between the delays earlier in the run and most of the plot advancement being pretty straightforward, there hasn't been much to discuss that we haven't already gone over. There aren't really any mysteries. I guess we could speculate on whether Tom is really dead (I doubt it), or what Horus will do. Maybe Civil War burned us out on most of the themes that Black Summer is covering.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Issue 4's just a lot of stuff exploding and people dying. There's nothing introduced that's really new, except that we see the black ops team instead of just hearing about them, we see John in action, and uh, Tom's repeatedly (and apparently) blown to bits on replay.

The eyeballs were nifty though.
    I bet one of them's just an ashtray.

Geebs, did you just ban him for extra irony? <3

Synthetic Orange on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007
    Issue 4's just a lot of stuff exploding and people dying. There's nothing introduced that's really new, except that we see the black ops team instead of just hearing about them, we see John in action, and uh, Tom's repeatedly (and apparently) blown to bits on replay.

The eyeballs were nifty though.
    I bet one of them's just an ashtray.

Geebs, did you just ban him for extra irony? <3

no but I think I know who did

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2007
    I thought the art was really super amazing this past issue. Also, I am not sure if Tom is really dead. There is no body, not even a boot or anything. I am not sure what is left of a person, cyborg or not, after a direct hit from an Abrams tank. Tom's powers are said to be mostly cranial implants for interfacing wirelessly with stuff (HACKING WITH HIS MIND), but he did cover his arm in some kind of armor while fighting that guy in his apartment. Could he somehow project a hologram of himself or something?

I just have a hard time believing he would KILL HIMSELF WITH A FRICKING TANK after he decided to fight back against... Vince? in his apartment after remembering Laura. Ellis is a cold bastard though...

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2007
    Well, I don't think it's suicide. My prime candidate is a digital upload while his body got vapourized. If he got out of the way at the last minute, Zoe of all people would probably have spotted it happening.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2007
    So maybe he pulled a Terror 2000? We covered a lot of this ground months ago, but you have a Biomega sig and av, so I can do this as long as you want.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, it's not exactly the fastest moving series. Which is worrying for a limited series.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2007
    Well, it has come out damn near every month. It really doesn't have that much ground to cover, narrative wise. John kills the President. The government tries to kill the rest of the Guns, thinking they were involved. Tom gets the rest of the Guns to work together and go after John and fight back against the military forces. A new team of Guns are revealed... Two issues left! shit. I don't want it to end. I want more dammit

I really do love the artwork in this series, more than anything I have seen in a long time.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was 8 issues long?

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2007
    Whoops. It is 7 plus 0. Dammit only three more issues. I want to see more of Tom's pulp space-man costume, dammit!

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    Molasses moves faster than this. The whole issue felt like it covered only a few minutes real time.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2008
    The art was amazing and eye-gasmic.
    Cool to see Zoe's power from her perspective. It was neat to see Kathryn fleshed out with the flash back. She's a stone-cold bitch. She doesn't really have a social conscience motivation like the others, but a desire to punish criminals and keep them from hurting society again by putting bullets in their heads.

It was a little hard to follow the fight in the base. Zoe charges the other Guns, gets blindsided by their speeder, reloads (a revolver with a clip, but oh well) and starts shooting. Meanwhile, Dom has slammed the door closed, leaving Kathy and Angel to find ammo. Another one of the other Guns is shoving against the door/Dom. Zoe shoots the other speeder legs off. The floor gives out, and Dom, Zoe, and the de-legged speeder and an Other Gun fall into an old sauna or something. Dominic drops an elbow on the Other Gun and teeth fly out of his/her helmet.

The discussion between the general and the officer and their realization that Tom Noir tricked both sides into battle was pretty good. John Horus dropping that F-22 on the base and demanding "take me to your leader" was incredible.

Honestly though, after 2 months (printer error, not the creators' fault), it was not quite enough. This whole issue seems to have happened in about 5 minutes, minus the flash back, which is both awesome and not. And the ladies apparently burnt their bras and never bought more, because we see more nipples printing on shirts this issue.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    Well, we've got two to go, and I'm pretty sure the start of the huge Guns vs. Horus battle is gonna be at the tail end of next issue. Then Tom will pop up, alive and well and ready to stab Frank's spleen with his mind.

Also, I'm getting a distinct feeling that Ellis is going to leave a huge opening for a sequel or something.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have the feeling that Tom 2.0 or whatever isn't actually him, but some sort of contingency plan.

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2008
    I don't know if Tom will show up at the end or not. I really don't think he would have killed himself with a tank, but I can't figure out how he pulled off faking his death in front of Flash-level character. I want him to be alive and show up in the next issue or the last, and I think we all do. Ellis is a cold bastard though, so he might really be dead.

I love the characters and the art and everything, and really wish we would get good modern style action figures out of this, hopefully by Mezco. Ellis and Ryp's character designs are so awesome I want them in 3-D on my desk!

If there are any survivors after issue 7, there could definitely be a sequel. I mean the country is going to be shambles after what is happening right now. After 7, it looks like the USA might be in the place Russia was after the fall of the Soviet Union. Complete anarchy and national barbarism! Artemis could shoot bad guys in the head for years with her double-revolver with attached mini-rocket launcher! I want more of this! Black Fall, Black Winter, Black Spring, Black Year, Black Whatever. This could potentially be Fixing America by Shooting the Shit Out of Everything.

DouglasDanger on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The miitary dudes in #5 mentioned something about the tank crew saw Tom turned into "pink mist" which sort of implies that yes, he is physically dead.

Given that, I reckon he's uploaded his mind into cyberspace or whatever. Killing himself and ending up being dead dead wouldn't make sense at all, but this would fit his powers and what he said before strolling on out to meet the tank:

"Is this why you wanted me dead? Because I live in the world?"

Also, I hope we get flashbacks for Dom and John Horus before it ends. I want to see what gave John the idea for loads of eyes

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited February 2008
    There is no pink mist shown in the comic though. Tom standing there, an explosion, nothing. I guess there probably wouldn't be anything left if you shot yourself in the face with a 120mm tank round other than a boot or maybe a belt buckle.

DouglasDanger on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, wouldn't the tank guy have been spotting through some sort of... electronic device?

DarkPrimus on
  • GaineGaine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a Horus action figure already. It's stylized after 'retro' figures, so it's cloth costume and doesn't look terribly modern.

http://www.tfaw.com/Toys/Profile/Black-Summer-Horus-8-Inch-Action-Figure___294914

Gaine on
    obamaprime1.jpg
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Also, wouldn't the tank guy have been spotting through some sort of... electronic device?

Zoe was right there looking at him, but she has her crazy techno-goggles too.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I don't think the Abrams tank has an electronic periscope, but I could be wrong. I thnk it is just a mechanical thing. I'm not sure.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2008
    * It appears that fans are pressuring Avatar to make me
    produce some sort of sequel or prequel to BLACK SUMMER.
    Must create plan to have these people hurt.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    edited February 2008
    I would love to see it happen. That Strange Killings thing about the modern combat mage or something got a ton of series. I want something like that, a series of series if you will, for Black Summer.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2008
    Black Sumer 6 comes out tomorrow.
    2122535572a36203a754osn4.jpg
    2121760917e6c3e12ed1okz4.jpg
    21225356649666d6a909ogm0.jpg
    John Horus has come home, to the place where the Seven Guns started. Which may have been the plan all along - because, in the chaos of the conflict between the Guns and the army, it's the only place in America where he can be trapped and killed by Frank Blacksmith's new super-team of Tactical Guns! With art by the genius Juan Jose Ryp, no fan of The Authority or Wanted will want to miss this bleeding-edge eight issue masterpiece's penultimate issue! This issue is available with a Regular or Wraparound cover and also a rare 1-in-25 cover featuring a Tactical Guns design sketch, all by series artist Juan Jose Ryp!"

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2008
    About god damned time. :x

wwtMask on
    edited April 2008
    Hooray for punctual publishing schedules

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited April 2008
    Surprisingly enough, this one wasn't on Warren Ellis! There was some sort of printing fuck up

Sars_Boy on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's funny, but the only thing I can think of with the Tactical Guns is "how do they know what their powers are without flashy costuming?"I just can't tell the 4 normal-sized males apart.

Also, the tank didn't blow him up, it was his plan to get the other Guns to go apeshit and allow him some time undetected.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited May 2008
    Man this issue was crazy intense. The opening fight was incredible. The spread there, with all of the gunshots and whatnot, the detail Juanjo puts into every panel is amazing, but this stuff is almost mind breaking. Hyde buys it completely out of nowhere. Damn brutal. Down to the three bitches.

Horus and the general was good stuff. Especially the stand-down order and the bits with Horus finding out what Tom did to all of them. And then Frank Blacksmith drops a bomb (nuke?) on their location, followed by more Tactical Guns. Damn. I can't wait for 7.

Am still wondering what TomNoirx2 is. It seems we know pretty much everyone's powers except Artemis. Is she just armored ? Her double-revolver with attached mini-RPG is amazing, but does she have powers?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm imagining a Burlyman brawl between John and the tactical guns in the last issue. Also, I'm thinking Tom returns somehow.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2008
    I'm thinking Artemis is kind of generically superhuman. She seems fast, but not Zoe fast-- although she has fast enough reflexes to save Zoe, strong but not Dom strong-- although she manages to drag his body.

I wonder if Tom's plan was for John and the PMCs to beat the shit out each other. If the Horus and the PMCs are removed, maybe society could be saved by the remaining Guns.

DouglasDanger on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So should I go back and get this entire series?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited May 2008
    I had sort of assumed that apart from stuff like access to the Mainline, Artemis' enhancement wasn't really in her body but actually her MURDERCYCLE.

Then she never used it after the first issue she was in so oh well

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited May 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    So should I go back and get this entire series?
    I mean you could wait for the trade but yeah read it

it's pretty great action comics

Sars_Boy on