As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Not Safe For [Job] thread

HefflingHeffling No PicEverRegistered User regular
edited September 2022 in Social Entropy++
Quick update on my life, then we can get back to bitching about management.

The wife is doing great now. The infection was very likely due to intestinal bacteria getting into the surgery site, which while still rare is a much more common route than stuff like staph infections in a stomach bypass. She has to have a wound vac in for at least 1 more week, possibly 2, and that depends on how her healing is progressing. She's already lost 20 lbs since the surgery just under a month ago.

The new engineering manager started last week, so I am taking a couple of vacation days this week on top of Monday being our Juneteenth day. I feel like I shouldn't since I'm juggling a lot of things at work, but I also recognize that I need some mental health days.

It appears that my wife and I are past the worst of our problems. Hopefully I'm not wrong this time.

No funny picture theme this time, because apparently when searching for "funny wet cat pictures" there are only 20 such pictures on the entire internet and they are each hosted a billion times.

Whippy on

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I am taking a mental health day because my two-week vacation got cancelled on account of surprise positive COVID test and I spent my entire weekend basically moping.

No symptoms yet, at least (but also wtf).

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad to hear she's doing well!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why do some staff continuously pass questions and requests to other people? Why don't staff read the entire email?

That shit is aggravating as hell

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Copied from the old thread:
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I have a random question for tech people which probably has a more complicated answer than I can understand but I'm asking it anyway. When a server is down for maintenance what does that actually mean? What is the maintenance? Is it hardware or software?

I mean I assume they take all the bits and bytes out and clean them and put them back in but just was curious.

Could mean hardware changes, software updates, both, or neither because something else is being worked on.

Or something as simple as a reboot.

also worth noting that depending on the specifics of a server, even just a reboot can take a surprisingly long time compared to your own personal device as all the various services and systems come back online and sync up with each other

At my first job, I accidentally did a thing that caused our servers to refresh their cache in the middle of the day. Picture a person tripping and dropping the armload of full file folders they were carrying, basically :confounded:

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Why do some staff continuously pass questions and requests to other people? Why don't staff read the entire email?

That shit is aggravating as hell

Probably the same reason my coworker will not pick up the phone, even on his direct line, until the second time someone is calling and only on the last ring: Because they want someone else to do it.

I'm waiting for the day when he doesn't pick up a call in transferring to him, the person calls me back, and I tell them "He's right here, just refusing to answer his phone" as I look him dead in the eyes ten feet away.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The most embarrassing thing I ever did at work was forget to check a fifth wheel and almost drop a missile launcher off the back of a truck.

Luckily the trailer didn't slide all the way off and hit the ground, and it was just a couple minutes with the outriggers to get it lifted back up and reconnected.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I had an interview internally for a different position and they said I'll get the position pending finding out if I can get the department manager job that they are taking forever to post considering my boss moved over a month ago and has been in charge remotely that time.

They were originally going to eliminate the position, but realized the department is too big to not have a manager and just have the team leads report to a director.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I think I found a job posting on Indeed that is looking to preemptively line up scabs for a potential strike. Gross!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Copied from the old thread:
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I have a random question for tech people which probably has a more complicated answer than I can understand but I'm asking it anyway. When a server is down for maintenance what does that actually mean? What is the maintenance? Is it hardware or software?

I mean I assume they take all the bits and bytes out and clean them and put them back in but just was curious.

Could mean hardware changes, software updates, both, or neither because something else is being worked on.

Or something as simple as a reboot.

also worth noting that depending on the specifics of a server, even just a reboot can take a surprisingly long time compared to your own personal device as all the various services and systems come back online and sync up with each other

At my first job, I accidentally did a thing that caused our servers to refresh their cache in the middle of the day. Picture a person tripping and dropping the armload of full file folders they were carrying, basically :confounded:

Oh yeah caching is one of those things that as an individual user you basically never have to think about, like even if you know what it is it's like, okay so what's the big deal?

But once you start learning about and dealing with server-side caching, the idea of a server emptying and refreshing all of its caches at once...it hurts.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Bah just heard from a recruiter that contacted me that all of a sudden they're no longer hiring for that position. Just annoyed to have gotten the message like "Wow! We're so lucky we got in touch with you in time, you're looking and we were just thinking how we'd missed a great hire!" Followed by whoops nm like 5 days later. Also got a rejection from a place that I think legit had reason to not have me on as what sounded like maybe their sole person with remotely my skill-set. Think I could have done it just fine, but I bet they wind up with someone who's got more experience and some major projects under their belt.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bah just heard from a recruiter that contacted me that all of a sudden they're no longer hiring for that position. Just annoyed to have gotten the message like "Wow! We're so lucky we got in touch with you in time, you're looking and we were just thinking how we'd missed a great hire!" Followed by whoops nm like 5 days later. Also got a rejection from a place that I think legit had reason to not have me on as what sounded like maybe their sole person with remotely my skill-set. Think I could have done it just fine, but I bet they wind up with someone who's got more experience and some major projects under their belt.

I dunno, if they were so enthusiastic about you earlier and then suddenly came back with "no longer hiring", I would be more prone to think they got put on a hiring freeze and now the team who desperately needs someone in that role just has to muddle along short handed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I dunno, if they were so enthusiastic about you earlier and then suddenly came back with "no longer hiring", I would be more prone to think they got put on a hiring freeze and now the team who desperately needs someone in that role just has to muddle along short handed.

Yeah that would make sense. Probably also pretty shitty for the recruiter, just felt very annoying to have a job handed to me and then woop too slow.

Better than a person I know of who got to the technical interview and was told at the top "Oh uhhh we are definitely not hiring for this one anymore. Sorry. Do you want to keep going?"

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Posted it in the wrong thread. 911 call center didn't pick me. Other place seems to have ghosted me.Just taking time off to go to interviews puts holes in my paycheck I can't brush off.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Posted it in the wrong thread. 911 call center didn't pick me. Other place seems to have ghosted me.Just taking time off to go to interviews puts holes in my paycheck I can't brush off.

*hugs* Job hunting sucks and can be a real hit to your esteem at times.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Upside of state work: all the job listings are in one place and mostly uniform in the format they're posted with clear Duty Statements of what the job entails.

Downside of state work: having to write a custom 1-2 page self-report for every single job application submitted and none of it can be reused because the questions are different for each listing.

I just asked the temp agency if the heading leads on better paying assignments and they're going to send me some testing for admin skills.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Anyone have visual inspection experience in the aerospace field and need a job in the Georgia area? No? Damn. I need to hire two more folks and meeting the prerequisites set by my boss is proving challenging.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Anyone have visual inspection experience in the aerospace field and need a job in the Georgia area? No? Damn. I need to hire two more folks and meeting the prerequisites set by my boss is proving challenging.

I'm in the wrong corner of the country but I'm real curious what the prerequisites are other than experience in the visual inspection of aerospace is?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Are you looking for like an SNT-TC-1A Level II inspector or to some other standards? Visual inspection standards exist in like every field.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I think I found a job posting on Indeed that is looking to preemptively line up scabs for a potential strike. Gross!

You should apply and waste their time.

Edit: never mind on the second part.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Brainleech @Just_Bri_Thanks

I would strongly recommend you apply with Securitas national call centers, vivant remote guarding, and xfinity. I have worked with these groups through my job, at least one of them are operating WFH and you are definately more than capable.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Brainleech Just_Bri_Thanks

I would recommend you apply with Securitas national call centers, vivant remote guarding, and xfinity. I have worked with these groups through my job, at least one of them are operating WFH and you are definately more than capable.

I've had many years at Securitas and if you can pass a screen, that is literally the only barrier to entry there. If you just need something asap, it works.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What kind of screen?

I have worked myself to exhaustion so much is why I posted I was tired so tired in the moods thread
    This weekend was ugly as I said
    THe freezers are old and abused and breaking down all the time anymore. Last night was easy but did they run it like an easy night lets do this? No! Most people had 2 hours of work but by lunch they were still struggling with the freight. They had volunteered someone to stock all the ice cream they pulled and that person never worked ice cream or frozen before
    As team lead who set grocery up was having kittens about the progress of everything at 4am
    I had to help do the pulled ice cream and then bread then today's ice cream in less than 90 minutes then I had to bin every thing before 7 [I did}
    It just bothers me there is no accountability among the managers and they have no leadership skills. I have tried to do the old thing of being a SGT with a shit LT and I have noticed when i do they magically try to correct the course back to what it was

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Sorry, work typing screwed me again. Drug screen.

That is legitimately it. If you can pass a mouth swab, they WILL have a job for you. As for if that is worth it, we'll, that's kinda up to you.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What kind of screen?

I have worked myself to exhaustion so much is why I posted I was tired so tired in the moods thread
    THe freezers are old and abused and breaking down all the time anymore. Last night was easy but did they run it like an easy night lets do this? No! Most people had 2 hours of work but by lunch they were still struggling with the freight. They had volunteered someone to stock all the ice cream they pulled and that person never worked ice cream or frozen before
    As team lead who set grocery up was having kittens about the progress of everything at 4am
    I had to help do the pulled ice cream and then bread then today's ice cream in less than 90 minutes then I had to bin every thing before 7 [I did}
    It just bothers me there is no accountability among the managers and they have no leadership skills. I have tried to do the old thing of being a SGT with a shit LT and I have noticed when i do they magically try to correct the course back to what it was

You cannot fix everything that is wrong there, and you will destroy yourself trying. Please stop.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Securitas ain’t perfect, but man, BL, buddy, if you can survive on $20 an hour, I promise you will be doing SO MUCH less work, and absolutely none of it will be back breaking. You don’t need to sell your body, and certainly not to that place.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What kind of screen?

You cannot fix everything that is wrong there, and you will destroy yourself trying. Please stop.

I know I gave up on that ideal after the messy Friday.

I don't make $20 a hour and I know I am killing myself. It was bad there before but I really do not understand why it is so bad now. Can they not see it? or is it some other thing in the ivory tower of managers? {there is a gulf between management and everyone else now
    The two new team leads just suck both were hand picked by the other team lead [thus violating the hiring process at work} As they seem lost and I know no one respects them as leaders at work

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I'm in the wrong corner of the country but I'm real curious what the prerequisites are other than experience in the visual inspection of aerospace is?

Yeah that sounds extremely basic, so I'm curious about the additional requirements.

I'd recommend looking to see what veteran job services are in the area (and see if there's a Student Veterans Association branch at the nearest college) and contacting them if you haven't already.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

I'm in SC so Georgia is not that far off but I have no desire to go to Georgia so I'm only really asking out of curiosity: what are the other requirements? I've never worked in aerospace manufacturing but I've been eyeing that field as a possible step up from the production field I'm in.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    As always, FedEx/UPS should be hiring, because turnover is generally not great. It's all physical labor, but it's better than nothing, and can keep the lights on until you find something better.

sig.gif
    Securitas ain’t perfect, but man, BL, buddy, if you can survive on $20 an hour, I promise you will be doing SO MUCH less work, and absolutely none of it will be back breaking. You don’t need to sell your body, and certainly not to that place.

20 an hour is more than I have ever been paid at any job I have ever had.

Sorce wrote: »
    As always, FedEx/UPS should be hiring, because turnover is generally not great. It's all physical labor, but it's better than nothing, and can keep the lights on until you find something better.

Just bear in mind that UPS is all corporate and union, and FedEx is all franchise and not.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can't vouch for FedEx, but UPS usually has you start at around $15/hr (~20hrs a week), but you get full health benefits through the Union at 9 months.

sig.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i just took a week off and planned a bunch of miniscule annoying things to do which I had cancelled all of by Monday so I sat around high off my ass for a week and even developed a bed sore on my tush

i'll do it again

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What kind of screen?

I know I gave up on that ideal after the messy Friday.

I don't make $20 a hour and I know I am killing myself. It was bad there before but I really do not understand why it is so bad now. Can they not see it? or is it some other thing in the ivory tower of managers? {there is a gulf between management and everyone else now
    The two new team leads just suck both were hand picked by the other team lead [thus violating the hiring process at work} As they seem lost and I know no one respects them as leaders at work

They don't care about you or your co-workers as human beings. They do not care about how bad things are for people working the floor, as long as the numbers in their spreadsheets look good, because that's all your bosses' bosses care about. You're just another number to them, one that makes the numbers look good

It took me way too long working retail to realize that my hard work was never going to result in getting promoted or compensated for going the extra mile, because someone above me was getting all the rewards for my hard work. I was fortunate enough to have a support network of friends and family that allowed me to quit and go back to community college while looking for better employment, but still I had wasted far too many years at a dead-end place when I could have been working someone else that, at the very least, was better compensating me.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oops.

h1notak34hf0.png

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Oops.

h1notak34hf0.png

what did you do

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Glad we are out of class... and apparently our zoom isn't affected.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

I'm in SC so Georgia is not that far off but I have no desire to go to Georgia so I'm only really asking out of curiosity: what are the other requirements? I've never worked in aerospace manufacturing but I've been eyeing that field as a possible step up from the production field I'm in.

I'm out sick today but I'll pull the posting once I have my work pc again. There are a bunch of manufacturing positions open as well, we're staffing way up lately. Is Asheville, NC closer to you? New plant being built up thereabouts.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You should apply and waste their time.

Edit: never mind on the second part.
    I’m surprised Unions don’t do that. Whenever companies try to find scabs, just hammer HR with fake applications.

@Shadowfire whenever I see your posts, I hear Kevin Heffernan’s voice.

This discussion has been closed.