As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

19596979899101»

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My team was chatting yesterday about the woman who got fired a couple of weeks back, whose job I inherited. Someone mentioned she had written about the experience on her blog.

So I looked it up and read it and now I feel way less guilty about taking her job.
    For a start I learned that she got 8 weeks severance which I had been worried about. I learned that she was heavily involved in community volunteering and through contacts there had been given several promising leads on new jobs which she was really excited about. And after a week or so she was coming to realize that she had slowly come to seriously resent her job and the way the company ran, that long term unwillingness to change procedures or listen to her advice from other teams had slowly made her less and less motivated to do the work and more and more feeling disrespected. She didn't give a shit about the job anymore, but also she's 47 and single and it's hard to take a leap when you have no safety net. So she's now glad that she got a shove.

She wrote in her blog she thought she'd stay in this job until she retired. I cannot imagine feeling so miserable at work and just shrugging and saying "well, just another 13 years to go!"

I feel really bad for her and for my boss that it had to come to that, I know it was hard for both of them. And I can absolutely see why she declined like the did. I'm lucky because even though I see the same things she saw, I know that I'll only be in the job for another year before we move back to Australia, and even if the company is kind of a mess, the year in this position will look excellent on my resume.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That is absolutely not the way I thought that story was going to go, pipe. Glad it was much more of a happy ending.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm playing Mega Man 1, listening to Yaz, and drinking strawberry soda.

Summer vacation has officially arrived

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    As I said in the mood thread I am tired so tired
    I sleeply ramble
    Yesterday was ugly I busted my ass to leave with 2 hours and change of OT. Last night my goal was to leave at a reasonable hour, nuts to that 3 hours of ot
    THe ice cream freezer the last third had died so all that ice cream was pulled. When I came in I asked about it and got the usual lack of info. the dead man walking manager [I do hope this manager gets caught at inventory as he is the cause of a lot of the problems in dairy/frozen/meat/bakery/deli. An example is they had so much muffins {5 full pallets worth] they had to put it at cost to get rid of them
    He said the freezer was fine and to stock it both last night and the night before
    Last night was just nasty as there was a mountain of picks {freight from the backroom they said will go up} Just it was nasty because I focused on trying to get done at a reasonable hour that I was going to bin at the end
    There was also a ton of bread {it looked larger than it did because cap 2 stacks poorly} putting best by dates on bread is a time sink as I started at before 8 and got done with it all at after 9
    The person I was with because they made us stock all the ice cream they pulled. At 5 I was silly instead of going to break I stayed to keep the work going the person I was with went to break and I think home?
    I was asked where they went at 6 and I said they went to break and never came back so I had to finish 4 pallets of ice cream in a questionable freezer
    After the bread I did a quick zone and went home

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I realized today I set it up so that my next three weeks are all 4-day weeks.

Tomorrow holiday. 4 day week
    Next week took Friday off.
    Next week have Monday off.

Vastly needed.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My 1st day back and apparently my stomach feels like it' Would have been a better idea for me to stay in bed. Or at least it rebelled against a pesto pasta salad

I will kind of miss this swing route as there's nothing I can do to make it right, they're already enough vehicles for me to stay late, and I have to be back in time to pass a flag on someone else

So I don't really have a choice in the matter

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm playing Mega Man 1, listening to Yaz, and drinking strawberry soda.

Summer vacation has officially arrived

What year is this? And can I get there too?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’d kill for a strawberry Fanta right now. You’re truly living the dream, Zon

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Interview on Thursday. Not my first choice of patron age group (transitional kindergarten and 6-8th graders) but I just need a full time library job.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a random question for tech people which probably has a more complicated answer than I can understand but I'm asking it anyway. When a server is down for maintenance what does that actually mean? What is the maintenance? Is it hardware or software?

I mean I assume they take all the bits and bytes out and clean them and put them back in but just was curious.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Today I impressed all my year nine students after showing them how to do manoeuvre nodes in ksp for orbital transfers how to just manually fly to the moon with no assists (other than using the map) and they were not happy that I could just grab their ship that they struggled to get into orbit for like four lessons and stick it in moon orbit.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Blake T wrote: »
    Today I impressed all my year nine students after showing them how to do manoeuvre nodes in ksp for orbital transfers how to just manually fly to the moon with no assists (other than using the map) and they were not happy that I could just grab their ship that they struggled to get into orbit for like four lessons and stick it in moon orbit.

Ha, a map, what luxury... I remember, back when they first put it in, how we'd just point the nose at moonrise and do the burn by eye.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I have a random question for tech people which probably has a more complicated answer than I can understand but I'm asking it anyway. When a server is down for maintenance what does that actually mean? What is the maintenance? Is it hardware or software?

I mean I assume they take all the bits and bytes out and clean them and put them back in but just was curious.

Could mean hardware changes, software updates, both, or neither because something else is being worked on.

Or something as simple as a reboot.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Could mean hardware changes, software updates, both, or neither because something else is being worked on.

Pretty much nails it. It's essentially some kind of process that's preventing the server providing what service you're trying to access from operating normally.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This reminds me of my worst server mistake (so far).

I was working on a hypervisor (that is, a server that holds a bunch of virtual servers inside it). I had toggled the "maintenance" switch on it, which is what causes all the end users to get a "server under maintenance" message when they each went to their virtual servers. There would have been about 10 servers getting that message while I worked on it.

The fix for the hypervisor was simple enough, I just had to reboot it and then everything was right as rain, so moved on to other work. Except I forgot to un-toggle maintenance mode and start up all the virtual servers. They were down for 12 hours before someone else figured out my fuckup and got everyone online again.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Mobile being weird, disregard

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This reminds me of my worst server mistake (so far).

I was working on a hypervisor (that is, a server that holds a bunch of virtual servers inside it). I had toggled the "maintenance" switch on it, which is what causes all the end users to get a "server under maintenance" message when they each went to their virtual servers. There would have been about 10 servers getting that message while I worked on it.

The fix for the hypervisor was simple enough, I just had to reboot it and then everything was right as rain, so moved on to other work. Except I forgot to un-toggle maintenance mode and start up all the virtual servers. They were down for 12 hours before someone else figured out my fuckup and got everyone online again.

We had a third party contractor come in and set us up with Hyper-V after my boss had finally been convinced to virtualize the majority of our servers

I stayed out of it because I lost the fight of setting up core server instances instead of full server instances for the hypervisors

shortly after i staged everything to do windows updates, nothing needed to be available 24/7 so it was going to shut down the vm instances

the next morning nothing worked, i freaked out majorly thinking updates broke something

the contractor hadn't set any of the servers to automatically turn on after the hypervisors were back online.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The interviews are complete and we got the new job thread. It's the same old job thread but we rebranded to be relevant for a modern age.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

also worth noting that depending on the specifics of a server, even just a reboot can take a surprisingly long time compared to your own personal device as all the various services and systems come back online and sync up with each other

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Welp. No job at the 911 call center.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Trying not to cry.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Trying not to cry.

It's okay to cry if you're upset. I'm sorry you didn't get the job you must feel extremely frustrated, trying to get a job is a deeply unpleasant experience and its entirely understandable that you'd be upset by it all, especially now

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    0skkrx7ndu6i.png

Not sure if we've got a library cat or a very fuzzy unstable particle. Nobody's been able to get within ten feet without the subject dissolving into a cloud of chaotic parkour and randomized short-range teleportation.

Library cat update: the fuzzy particle was captured by two librarians the day I posted that photo. He was named Liability due to the bites and scratches he inflicted on said librarians while they were on the clock. Bill for short. He has been successfully treated for fleas and hates everything in the world significantly less after a week of being brooded by one librarian's elder cat.

Meanwhile, this fine fellow showed up at the other library I'm subbing at:
    ml99k2m0j2b0.png

He was significantly friendlier from the start, but equally flea-ridden.

Anyway, both Bill and Ellison have been rehomed with a former coworker of ours, who is a total rube and has wanted a cat for a long time despite her completely unsuitable apartment.

Godspeed, you weird little dudes. I look forward to giving you scritches at a future book club dinner party.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Edit: shit. Wrong thread.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch