As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starfield] Like Oblivion with space ships

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    Also Morrowind is still flipping amazing and Bethesda has yet to top it fight me

Four years ago, I made a post about why Morrowind is the best Bethesda game, as someone who didn't play it until after Skyrim and Fallouts 3, New Vegas, & 4, thereby being uninfluenced by nostalgic emotions.

I promised myself I wouldn't get hyped for another Bethesda game after Fallout 4 was such a let down, but Starfield keeps dropping hints that they listened to feedback and won't repeat their mistakes.

Just the deconfirmation of a voiced protagonist goes a long way.

And now they're saying this will have more handcrafted content than any of their previous games. I know that information comes from a man who lies so much that he became a meme, but I want to believe!

Eighty skills, and a system that encourages unlocking the skills that are most relevant to your character as early as possible. This could be the first Bethesda game in ages where your initial build actually feels like it matters.

Combat being just one of five skill categories makes me hopeful that quest design won't revolve around dungeon crawling. Dare I even suggest that skill checks in dialog might be a thing?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Also Morrowind is still flipping amazing and Bethesda has yet to top it fight me

Four years ago, I made a post about why Morrowind is the best Bethesda game, as someone who didn't play it until after Skyrim and Fallouts 3, New Vegas, & 4, thereby being uninfluenced by nostalgic emotions.

That was a great read, thanks for sharing

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I went back into that post and gave it an awesome after reading.
    You have inspired me to attempt to play Morrowind again someday.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Morrowind was the game that had me moving like The Hulk because I jumped everywhere (also, 'E' for jumping?).

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Theyve already said theres no seamless landing and takeoff from planets ala no mans sky. Im expecting a spaceport or basic click button to transition to landing sequence or loading screen.

It looks like you pick your landing point from orbit, then select 'land'.

You can also add way points, which presumably is where 'land anywhere' comes into it.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

Morrowind was the game that had me moving like The Hulk because I jumped everywhere (also, 'E' for jumping?).

I tried going back to it a few times, and maybe I'm too much of a filthy casual by now, but the combat was a big turnoff. After reading that post though...maybe I should try again. Mess with Fargoth one more time.

How did Morrowind handle murder without witnesses? I do remember that I broke into houses in the first village and killed everybody inside at some point, but I don't remember if I survived the aftermath

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    dporowski wrote: »
    I have to wonder how well put together the space combat will be. I recall every vehicle mod I’ve ever tried in any mainline Bethesda game having serious issues, due mostly to engine limitations.

The spaceships are modular. (To a degree.)

We know Bethesda has vehicle "trouble", ref: the monorail hat.

This implies each spaceship part may actually be an NPC with a hat that's glued to other NPCs along the attachment points.

Clearly, our spaceships are Voltron, and I am looking forward to writing rage-filled tweets (in a single thread but out of order) when I am not given the chance to wield my Blazing Sword as Defender of the Universe as I was obviously promised in this still frame of...
    Or they could just shrink down dragons and have the modules act as armor, which would hide the fact that you’re really a space dragon.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I have to wonder how well put together the space combat will be. I recall every vehicle mod I’ve ever tried in any mainline Bethesda game having serious issues, due mostly to engine limitations.

The spaceships are modular. (To a degree.)

We know Bethesda has vehicle "trouble", ref: the monorail hat.

This implies each spaceship part may actually be an NPC with a hat that's glued to other NPCs along the attachment points.

Clearly, our spaceships are Voltron, and I am looking forward to writing rage-filled tweets (in a single thread but out of order) when I am not given the chance to wield my Blazing Sword as Defender of the Universe as I was obviously promised in this still frame of...
    Or they could just shrink down dragons and have the modules act as armor, which would hide the fact that you’re really a space dragon.

"The battle spaceship with the dragon animation will become a new sensation on the internet!"

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Game Pass is $1 for 3 months and has Morrowind, or if you prefer GOG has it on sale for $4.49. If 2002 graphics are just too old for you to handle, there's a gazillion mods to bump them up a very surprising amount. A number of YouTube channels have some reasonably recent and easy to follow guides on it.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Game Pass is $1 for 3 months and has Morrowind, or if you prefer GOG has it on sale for $4.49. If 2002 graphics are just too old for you to handle, there's a gazillion mods to bump them up a very surprising amount. A number of YouTube channels have some reasonably recent and easy to follow guides on it.

Also just get the mod that makes all attacks guaranteed to hit to save your sanity in the early game. It's only really a thing for like the first 10 levels, and the mod makes those early levels much less annoying for new players.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Game Pass is $1 for 3 months
    Only for new members?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Honestly I really love Morrowind's default graphics. Something about those low res textures and low poly models really does it for me. Perhaps because of nostalgia, but I also liked when STRAFE and Devil Daggers used similarly styled low res models and textures so I dunno.

I also like Morrowind's combat, so perhaps my words are not to be trusted.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Darmak wrote: »

Honestly I really love Morrowind's default graphics. Something about those low res textures and low poly models really does it for me. Perhaps because of nostalgia, but I also liked when STRAFE and Devil Daggers used similarly styled low res models and textures so I dunno.

I also like Morrowind's combat, so perhaps my words are not to be trusted.

It's definitely a really tricky balance to keep the feel of Morrowind when modding the graphics. A lot of them hew too "generic fantasy" and lose the moodiness of Morrowind. The fog was too close and definitely something done for performance, but removing it completely without anything to substitute makes the game look really barren and weird.

I really loved Morrowind Overhaul when I used it a few years ago. It does a great job of capturing the spirit of Morrowind while also pretty drastically modernizing how it looks -- it was the closest to what I felt like a full on remaster should look like. It also has a handy all in one .exe installer to save a ton of time getting everything setup. Apparently it's listed as outdated on Nexus now, but from searching around it sounds like it still works fine. I would link it here but, because it's a Morrowind mod, it has of course been flagged for adult content on the Nexus (probably the body replacer part of the package).

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    6lBXrZf.png
    Starfield

• Options
    Looks like we might be able to play as a psykker? Guessing thats going to be the thuum equivalent for this game? the more ancient civ shards you get, the more you unlock maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I always play Morrowind with the graphics extender. It makes it render out farther. I also use a mod that makes the leveling similar to the later games.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    This is available to preorder on Steam now. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am both so excited to play this game and so damn confused on how I'm supposed to play a game this big this year with all these other awesome games coming out.

• Options
    I am both so excited to play this game and so damn confused on how I'm supposed to play a game this big this year with all these other awesome games coming out.
    This and Baldur's Gate 3 are going to ruin my life.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/starfield-premium-edition-upgrade/9PB4ZWV7S2MG/0017

You can preinstall the vase game on Gamepass now.

For £35, or the equivalent, you can upgrade to the premium edition, which has day one dlc, some other shit, and 5 days early access, so you can start playing on Friday 1st September.

And yes, I am £35 poorer, why do you ask ?

I've preinstalled on both series X and PC - ill see how my 3060Ti does at 2k before deciding where to play.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    This and Baldur's Gate 3 are going to ruin my life.

Yea like... I have no idea which to start first. Because waiting like... 1.5+ months for either one seems impossible. But ill need to. And then spider-man as a perfect smaller game to split them up. But I got no idea which to play first.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It's like Todd Howard is outside my house with a boombox. Get out of here Todd, don't make me get the hose!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    That showcase was loooooong. . .but I think they nailed what they needed to show. I thought the showcase last year was good, but it really does look like they might have taken a step back and said "Yeah, we can do better." One of my niggling complaints was how uninteresting some of the barren worlds looked, and it looks like they've gone in and touched things up so that its not just the handcrafted bespoke stuff that is full of character.

. . .right now my only complaint is that the UI looks INCREDIBLY boring (I mean they always do, but boy does this one look a little meh). Everything else though was a slam dunk if you ask me and I'm absolutely here for the ride. It really does look like it is taking everything that is great about NMS (the fact that you can dock with ships, possibly large dungeon sized ships, and continue combat is insane; hopefully you will have to do so to - for example - salvage certain pieces you want) and BETHESDA games and putting it all together. My only hope is that maybe they rubbed elbows a bit with OBSIDIAN to bring them back to their storytelling roots as space is the perfect place for some of those rough stories we got in FO:NV.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Actually, I love the interface, it very much puts me in mind of something an early-interstellar NASA would put together and then it becomes the standard. No muss, no fuss, just very clear and readable like you'd want in environments where mistaking an E and a 3 could get you killed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Actually, I love the interface, it very much puts me in mind of something an early-interstellar NASA would put together and then it becomes the standard. No muss, no fuss, just very clear and readable like you'd want in environments where mistaking an E and a 3 could get you killed.

This is how you know you're speaking to an Engineer.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/starfield-premium-edition-upgrade/9PB4ZWV7S2MG/0017

For £35, or the equivalent, you can upgrade to the premium edition, which has day one dlc, some other shit, and 5 days early access, so you can start playing on Friday 1st September.

I've preinstalled on both series X and PC - ill see how my 3060Ti does at 2k before deciding where to play.

So not just Blizzard pulling this shit.

There's something deeply ironic about doing this to "day one gamepass" releases. All their big games could end up going this way.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

There's something deeply ironic about doing this to "day one gamepass" releases. All their big games could end up going this way.

They already are this way. I paid $40 to get all the Forza Horizon DLC (and play the game early) when the game was released, and the player count before launch was north of a million so plenty of others did the same thing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

This is how you know you're speaking to an Engineer.

I want to be offended and argue, but my job title is, uh... engineer.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

They already are this way. I paid $40 to get all the Forza Horizon DLC (and play the game early) when the game was released, and the player count before launch was north of a million so plenty of others did the same thing.

Yeah, I grabbed the VIP/DLC pack, but didn't play early, and hell, "so you're telling me I got all of FH5 for 40 bucks?" Cool beans. And if/when it gets delisted, if you have the DLC you get--I can't remember--either a massive discount on the base game, or the base game for free. This seems pretty great from my POV, you know?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »

Yeah, I grabbed the VIP/DLC pack, but didn't play early, and hell, "so you're telling me I got all of FH5 for 40 bucks?" Cool beans. And if/when it gets delisted, if you have the DLC you get--I can't remember--either a massive discount on the base game, or the base game for free. This seems pretty great from my POV, you know?

Free.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I’m hoping we can make asymmetric ships. It’ll be interesting to see how derpy we can get.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I’m hoping we can make asymmetric ships. It’ll be interesting to see how derpy we can get.

Considering one of the ships in the video was a massive Duplo block looking "mech" ship, that was clearly meant to be silly, I'm guessing they're not going to be overly strict on proper in-atmosphere aerodynamics for the ships.

Which, given that there's no indication that there is any sub-orbital flight of any sort, makes sense.

It really looked like whatever goofy thing you wanted.

EDIT: and if I had to guess, if any ships really controlled much differently at all (which I have my doubts on), it'll likely be based entirely on engine stats and nothing else. For the purposes of the space "sim" portion, the size/shape of your ship will probably be entirely aesthetic. The enemy AI probably won't be targeting a hitbox but a preset calculation of what "system" it is targeting and will be behind the scene dice rolls. Which is pretty in line with how all of their games work for enemy attacks.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Absolutely waiting for those Spaceballs mods so I can fly around in my Winnebago/Mega Maid.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Considering one of the ships in the video was a massive Duplo block looking "mech" ship, that was clearly meant to be silly, I'm guessing they're not going to be overly strict on proper in-atmosphere aerodynamics for the ships.

Which, given that there's no indication that there is any sub-orbital flight of any sort, makes sense.

It really looked like whatever goofy thing you wanted.

EDIT: and if I had to guess, if any ships really controlled much differently at all (which I have my doubts on), it'll likely be based entirely on engine stats and nothing else. For the purposes of the space "sim" portion, the size/shape of your ship will probably be entirely aesthetic. The enemy AI probably won't be targeting a hitbox but a preset calculation of what "system" it is targeting and will be behind the scene dice rolls. Which is pretty in line with how all of their games work for enemy attacks.
    I noticed that cockpits seemed to always be aligned to the center of the ship, which is fine. But I would prefer to stick the cockpit on the side of my ship, millennium falcon style. I can’t wait to see what kind of wild components moders add to the game. Maybe we’ll get articulated gundam modules so we can punch other ships.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Previous shots from the game indicated some level of being able to literally blow off components of ships so I imagine if you blow an engine up entirely, that will reduce the overall engine capability of the ship as a whole. Ditto for weapons etc.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    ‘Hey, you know that chick that always seems to buy our games, sometimes multiple times, and never really complains about them, even when most people have vocal criticisms?’

“Yeah, why?”

‘Let’s release the game the day before her birthday’

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    ‘Hey, you know that chick that always seems to buy our games, sometimes multiple times, and never really complains about them, even when most people have vocal criticisms?’

“Yeah, why?”

‘Let’s release the game the day before her birthday’

I was at a coffee shop the other day and Todd Howard was behind me and I heard him say this exact thing to his friend!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Also what’s with all these meatbags on my ship? Gimme an all robot crew!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The game might not be releasing for my birthday, but it is releasing one day before my vacation time rolls over at work which means in theory I could immediately take five weeks off for it.

That would be silly.

... right?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    PC System requirements have dropped:

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfields-system-requirements-have-landed-on-steam-and-youre-gonna-need-a-bigger-cargo-hold/

Minimum

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
    DirectX: Version 12
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 125 GB available space
    Additional Notes: SSD Required