As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't understand how slash commands take the "skill" out of a fight.

PvP fights are far more chaotic and dynamic than any PvE encounter where you can just blindly assist the MA and fire away. I would hope there is more to the DPS class skills than "Does damage" and you would have a need to not just focus fire a target but use your other utility moves.

Making the action of assisting the MA possible through a slash command doesn't make the decision to do so any easier. As an example a Zealot would have to decide that focus fire on the MA target was more important than dropping a harbinger on the rDPS that slows their attack speed. As a Witch Elf you'd have to decide that your daggers go into the MAs target as opposed to trying to affect pushbacks on the Archmage's heals.

You also have to consider the effects of PvP "taunts" when viewing the focus fire tactic. If PvP taunts are strong enough then you could just be bashing your head against a brick wall trying to assist train against a competent group. And if assist trains are the mostly AFK "I R HIT BUTTON" that people are complaining about they should be easily exploitable to a volley of AOE attacks to wipe them all out.

I don't see the problem being due to /assist being in the game but that in other games the mindless focus fire tactic was good enough.

narv107 on
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    So many on my shitlist now.

Let's see how you death-metal-hating bitches like your crappy loot. While you grind away making pants for the guild listening to Fallout Boy or Avril or whatever the hell you types listen to.

Yeah. You heard me. Making pants.

Also, I always felt tab or hotkey targetting was sufficient for MMOs, with mousing good for really dense fights. Sure, you'll get the occasional misclick, but so will they.

Sweet I guess that means I am gonna gonna get phat loots. My entire library is just deathmetal/powermetal/and other metal genres.

Katholic on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm getting no loot due to listening to RAtM, RHCP, Dire Straits, CCR, Radiohead and the Pogues?

Worth it.

Back on semi-topic, I agree with the people who say that in a tactical battle, a /assist train is worthless. Mostly because they're right. Hell, I rarely, if ever, use /assist. It's not that hard to click the right object which needs smacking, stabbing or shooting.

Oats on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2008
    Say that with 60 moving bodies scuttling in and out of your line of sight.

Unknown User on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Say that with 60 moving bodies scuttling in and out of your line of sight.

There's also the fact that if Mythic does it correctly, all you'll see floating over the enemy is "Orc Invader" or something.
    I much preferred the DAoC system to WoW's system of floating names for enemies.

In DAoC, the Assist Train would have a single Main. Everyone else targetted the Main. During combat melees would /assist, /stick and murder the target.
    Rangeds would /assist, /face and murder the target.

So I think you can retain /assist if you remove /stick and /face. As it means you still have to find the target and reduces some of the automation that people are up in arms about.

Selner on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    /assist is almost a requirement, imo.

I'd rather not see /stick and /face. /follow on friendlies I require, though. Because using those movement keys is oh so tiresome.

Accualt on
    edited February 2008
    I also approve of follow. Sometimes a mans gotta get up and get a beer from the fridge. Aint no time for runnin through the wilderness when these things happen.

Unknown User on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    So, I'm getting no loot due to listening to RHCP, CCR, Pogues?
    You forgot (to) DiaF

s3rial one on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    /assist is almost a requirement, imo.

I'd rather not see /stick and /face. /follow on friendlies I require, though. Because using those movement keys is oh so tiresome.

I agree with this (although I've been out of the loop for a while and don't know what /stick is, though I can guess).

/assist is very useful for those who have slower computers for example, it helps them hit the right thing quicker or even at all in some cases.

I'm hoping for some mechanic to allow you to fight with those of much higher or lower level so you can play with your friends if you don't have a lot of time to play and fall behind (or your friend(s) fall behind your level).

Ardor on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ITT: the first Great Civil War of the Six Mouths begins.

I say we properly settle this with a drinking contest at PAX this year. Losers have to listen to the other side's music exclusively.

Also, having not played DAoC, I don't understand the advantages from a player perspective, of "automation" commands. I always found the maneuvering in WoW to be one of the best parts of PvP; "skill" or whatever aside, it seems much less fun to automatically follow or face your foe.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I think the command was much more useful (and needed) in DAoC as compared to WoW because of the way skills work. There were not as many instant cast spells, or spells you could cast when facing in a completely different direction.

Ontop of that, many melee classes had their skills broken down into positionals. Ones you could only use when behind someone, infront, to the sides, skills you could only use after using another skill also with a required position. These made the combat much more strategic than WoW's "run/jump around in circles and spin" that is oh so lame.

Unknown User on
    edited February 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    These made the combat much more strategic than WoW's "run/jump around in circles and spin" that is oh so lame.

That I can really support. And my long-ago demos of WAR seemed to support it, as you were punished for jumping, couldn't run through people or spin, and combat was generally slower.

Actually, I'm pretty sure some of the abilities would spin you to fire, kind of like City of Heroes. Or something did... I really don't remember clearly at this point.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh yes, a civil war indeed.
    Scosglen wrote:
    I'm sorry for your taste in music, but all death metal is prettymuch shit.

I have to say i could really do without /stick or /face but /assist and /follow are both required.

I do like the friendly target and enemy target mechanic. Speaking as a healer, it makes my life easier.
    Morskittar wrote:
    I say we properly settle this with a drinking contest at PAX this year. Losers have to listen to the other side's music exclusively.

But, when you lose you still win. You get to listen to non-crap music for once.
    More Gwar for the giant worm god!

Ash-Housewares on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    you screwballs need to mix up your avatars a little

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I'm hearing about a civil war but who else is on the death metal side other than Morskittar?

I'm guessing no one because death metal sucks unheard of quantities of genitalia, oh my.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    look its just not for you

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited February 2008
    Here, I made some quickies to get us some variety.

sixmouthswredie2.jpgsixmouthswpurplecx4.jpgsixmouthswhiteet2.jpgsixmouthswgreenut6.jpg
    sixmouthsredredtp2.jpgsixmouthsrednm9.jpgsixmouthspurpleqb9.jpgsixmouthslimegs9.jpg
    sixmouthsgreenbx5.jpg

Accualt on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nobody can say they don't like power metal.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    you screwballs need to mix up your avatars a little

Yeah you can imagine how embarrassed I was when i saw Morskittar had the same icon.

Ash-Housewares on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it so hard to hate crap when it's crap? Like you know, Fallout Boy and death metal?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    So I'm hearing about a civil war but who else is on the death metal side other than Morskittar?

I'm guessing no one because death metal sucks unheard of quantities of genitalia, oh my.

I am on the deathmetal side

Katholic on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So today I finally got a response from James Nichols regarding my issue--a PM reply on WHA of all places. He asked for my email for starters and there was a :D in the PM. Fingers crossed gents!

Scosglen on
    edited February 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Is it so hard to hate crap when it's crap? Like you know, Fallout Boy and death metal?

That's my stance on the issue.

EDIT: Congrats Scosglen. Best of luck with that, mate.

Oats on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'll remember you said this the next time I run a (short lived) WoD game.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited February 2008
    Katholic wrote: »

I am on the deathmetal side

Are any real people on the death metal side?

Fiaryn on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    /stick would really take away from the collision detection aspect of the game, so I'd be against it. Similarly /face would be horribly frustrating to deal with as a class that focuses on positional attacks.

The whole jump/run through/spastic aspect of WoW just won't be present in WAR due to collision (assuming it works as intended), so I don't see those commands adding anything positive to the game.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
    edited February 2008
    Similarly /face would be horribly frustrating to deal with as a class that focuses on positional attacks.

One of the massively annoying things melee classes would do in DAoC is run through ranged casters, then /face hit them from behind, then run through again, /face and so on. The caster could never get a spell off because of Line of Sight issues.

It's still possible to "push through" a player with WAR's CD, but because of the slowness hopefully casters will still be able to get spells off.
    And with the hopeful lack of /face, the melee class will have to manually turn around, giving the caster more time to actually cast.

So I am really, really in favor of no /face or /stick.

Selner on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Similarly /face would be horribly frustrating to deal with as a class that focuses on positional attacks.

One of the massively annoying things melee classes would do in DAoC is run through ranged casters, then /face hit them from behind, then run through again, /face and so on. The caster could never get a spell off because of Line of Sight issues.

It's still possible to "push through" a player with WAR's CD, but because of the slowness hopefully casters will still be able to get spells off.
    And with the hopeful lack of /face, the melee class will have to manually turn around, giving the caster more time to actually cast.

So I am really, really in favor of no /face or /stick.

What stopped the caster from mashing a /face macro himself during this process?

I've never played DAoC, but it seems if you just pressed that button rapidly as your spell was about to go off, you'd be fine.

Corp.Shephard on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I've never played DAoC, but it seems if you just pressed that button rapidly as your spell was about to go off, you'd be fine.
    iirc you stopped casting when you moved/turned around.

Aldo on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Slow day in the War thread, huh?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2008
    Slow month really.

*twiddle thumbs*

Fiaryn on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    More boredom for the boss god?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *tumbleweed*

Lly on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

iirc you stopped casting when you moved/turned around.

Oh, you can't even change your arc of casting? Damn. Thats harsh.

Corp.Shephard on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Either way, it'd be nice to see RvR not devolve into a battle of the macros, or one lame mechanic to compensate for another lame mechanic.

/face and /stick need to go /wrist

s3rial one on
    edited February 2008
    Slow month really.

*twiddle thumbs*

I don't even feel like fighting about music right now.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Slow month really.

*twiddle thumbs*

This is why we're getting a divorce. Where did the passion go?

Fiaryn on
    edited February 2008
    Slow month really.

*twiddle thumbs*

This is why we're getting a divorce. Where did the passion go?

Morskittar is mine now. He's done with you.

Oats on
    edited February 2008
    Death Metal is worthless noise.

I know I like bad music, but at least I don't like terrible music.
    No more thumb twiddling?

Accualt on
    edited February 2008

It was an Line of Sight and Interrupt issue.
    If your enemy was physically inside your avatar, you didn't have LoS so the spell would cancel. And DAoC has a hard-interrupt system, where getting hit stops your casting completely and makes it so you can't cast for like 3sec or something.

So if you mashed the button, you might get a spell off. But the enemy is always going to be able to hit you because you can't interrupt a melee attack (except with a stun or mez).

Selner on
This discussion has been closed.