As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Does this version of Battletech have the 1/36 chance of every hit taking your head clean off? That's XCOM, baby

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Does this version of Battletech have the 1/36 chance of every hit taking your head clean off? That's XCOM, baby

1% chance of a hit on your head, with a few caveats.

Won’t take it clean off without 61 damage.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Orca wrote: »

1% chance of a hit on your head, with a few caveats.

Won’t take it clean off without 61 damage.

I don't remember ever losing a unit to headshots out of the blue in Battletech. Units dropping to head damage were usually already running out of armor and missing parts and they were probably going to die somehow.

Also, in Battletech defeat on the battlefield isn't always immediate loss of the unit from the campaign.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    BATTLETECH doesn't quite grab me for XCOM cause XCOM is all about missing or making that one shot. BATTLETECH you're launching like five weapons at once.

Theres ways to do it, though. In Daemonhunters, the chance to hit is 100% provided you have a firing angle. Cover, distance, and other factors reduce the damage (potentially right down to zero), not the chance to hit, and armor makes the first couple damage per turn not count. So where Xcom has a 25% chance to do 100% damage, Daemonhunters would have a 100% chance to do 25% damage.

In Battletech it's got both, different effects of loadouts and positioning can mitigate both damage and chance, with a feature of trying to soak damage you can't avoid in easily replaced armor.

The way the games get there is different, but in all three systems the main objective is to use positioning, abilities, and loadout to control damage, with some type of time/resource penalty in the strategic intermission game for what gets through.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    You poor soul! You've never had an enemy mech walk up to you and get lucky and punch your head clean off? That's Battletech, baby! XD

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I thought that was Real Ultimate Power!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Maybe we should have a turn based tactics thread too? If you want this to be specifically xcom like.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    You poor soul! You've never had an enemy mech walk up to you and get lucky and punch your head clean off? That's Battletech, baby! XD

I definitely just did a mission where the actual difficulty was way harder than advertised, two pilots got killed.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

I definitely just did a mission where the actual difficulty was way harder than advertised, two pilots got killed.

That’s actually deliberate - the mission difficulty has a chance to outright lie to you due to bad intelligence.

That’s what the withdraw button is for. The problem is the playerbase didn’t like that and just thought such missions were bugged, and it drew a lot of complaints, rather than just click Withdraw.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

That’s actually deliberate - the mission difficulty has a chance to outright lie to you due to bad intelligence.

That’s what the withdraw button is for. The problem is the playerbase didn’t like that and just thought such missions were bugged, and it drew a lot of complaints, rather than just click Withdraw.

I like it. I'm one of those niche guys that like all that shit.

Hell I love Long War, I'm basically Evil.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Maybe we should have a turn based tactics thread too? If you want this to be specifically xcom like.

I'm pretty okay with this thread being for all games that people think of as "XCOM but with XYZ."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I like it. I'm one of those niche guys that like all that shit.

Hell I love Long War, I'm basically Evil.

The big issue with the "Withdraw" button is that people don't know you can withdraw in "good faith" and not get heavily penalized (one kill and one objective fulfilled is all you need); in fact, you'll still get some payout. Instead, people think they'll get stuck with repair costs and major faction penalties, but even a "bad faith" (accomplishing nothing) is a relatively minor hit to faction loyalty (and no reward).

The problem with the difficulty system is that it doesn't matter if its working as intended because it feels like a glitch or a bug. They should really give you an estimate on the strength of their intelligence and it should mean something, and it would be real easy. Low confidence means a swing of plus or minus and entire skull, medium confidence means half a skull in either direction, and high confidence means no shift. Because the fact is that people don't like just pulling out of a fight, they want to fight it out and win. The risk should be more up-front or clear.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I think @Orphane likes Troubleshooter?

I usually go by "Troubleshooter" or "Troublechuter" online, so much so that I forget it isn't my name here too and this series of posts was very confusing at first.

• Options
    Finally decided to go finish up Chaos Gate and that final mission is a little BS with them making you field two squads unexpectedly.

• Options
    Finally decided to go finish up Chaos Gate and that final mission is a little BS with them making you field two squads unexpectedly.

I don't think it's out of line, really. Certainly makes it more epic.

Now that I think about it, though, there's nothing that tells you that you need at least 8 marines for the final encounter... I never had a problem with it because I naturally fixed up and filled my barracks as the game went on.

Did you not have 8 knights to field?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I had eight to field, but I'd only maxed out maybe five knights because once I had "the team", I was clearing missions with little to no injury. I also skipped over tons of gear because once I had what I liked, nothing else really mattered.

Saldonas on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I had eight to field, but I'd only maxed out maybe five knights because once I had "the team", I was clearing missions with little to no injury.

That's fair enough. I tend to spread XP around and experiment with team builds, so while not every knight I sent to the final mission was max level, they were all at least level 7, and had complete enough builds to do the jobs I needed them for.

Yeah once a marine hits level 9, unless I need a ringer to look after some newbs, they're benched until the big story missions. Gotta make sure that XP isn't going to waste. It's also fun to level up lots of characters (especially the Chaplains, Librarians, Paladins, and Purifiers you can't get at the start) and see how various builds work.

EDIT: finale
    My final mission teams were very carefully chosen. Like, you want lots of raw damage and a Librarian in the vanguard, but the rearguard is gonna be doing a lot of shooting, so a chaplain with a +range crit litany is going to be Da Man.

EDIT 2: Wait you skipped over gear? What were you using requisitions on?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I think Orphane likes Troubleshooter?

I usually go by "Troubleshooter" or "Troublechuter" online, so much so that I forget it isn't my name here too and this series of posts was very confusing at first.

please prune pings

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Daemonhunter finale:
    It took me 2 tries because I had the rhythm exactly wrong. The goal should be to hit the next 40hp breakpoint early in a turn, because you need to get 40hp of damage to be able to shut off the superpower.

The secondary site was a bit of a disaster but arguably letting wounded enemies through isn't a big deal, they spawn far away on the other side and were giving WP to my healer.

Strongest dudes definitely need to be team 1, and teleporter melee interceptor was the carry. 70% critrate to turn 6dmg into 13dmg with a 75% chance to get an AP and 75% to get a WP, though the boss has crit negation

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I had eight to field, but I'd only maxed out maybe five knights because once I had "the team", I was clearing missions with little to no injury.

That's fair enough. I tend to spread XP around and experiment with team builds, so while not every knight I sent to the final mission was max level, they were all at least level 7, and had complete enough builds to do the jobs I needed them for.

Yeah once a marine hits level 9, unless I need a ringer to look after some newbs, they're benched until the big story missions. Gotta make sure that XP isn't going to waste. It's also fun to level up lots of characters (especially the Chaplains, Librarians, Paladins, and Purifiers you can't get at the start) and see how various builds work.

EDIT: finale
    My final mission teams were very carefully chosen. Like, you want lots of raw damage and a Librarian in the vanguard, but the rearguard is gonna be doing a lot of shooting, so a chaplain with a +range crit litany is going to be Da Man.

EDIT 2: Wait you skipped over gear? What were you using requisitions on?

Yeah, I got to the point where I was only picking up rank 3 gear and only if it wasn't total garbage. Like I had a pretty good stockpile of options in some categories while others I basically had nothing outside of starting equipment.

• Options

Yeah, I got to the point where I was only picking up rank 3 gear and only if it wasn't total garbage. Like I had a pretty good stockpile of options in some categories while others I basically had nothing outside of starting equipment.

I absolutely tried to hoard the following:

Knockback weapons, because punting enemies off ledges is life itself. Also halberds with this are hilarious for frustrating melee daemons.

Bonus grenade/servo skull armor, because getting an apothicary, purgator, or purifier specced for consumables can lead to very fun situations where you don't need Exterminatus; you can purge the unclean all on your own, thanks.

Willpower boosting items, because Librarians and Paladins need a lot of juice, but honestly everyone benefits from them.

Armor that gives extra gear slots, because a slot is worth a lot of crit, damage, focus, or whatnot based on your other gear.

Tier 3 Empyrian Brain Mines. The lower levels aren't really worthwhile due to changes in the stun game.

I requisitioned a suit of power armor that flat gives +1 AP. SO GOOD. Interceptor got a new name: Blender Boi.

My psycannon Justicar loved the tier 2 terminator armor that ignored weapon range penalties. Used that all the way to the endgame.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly, If I was going to do an Xcom style game for 40k, I'd go and ahead and break the mold in half: Do an Ork centric game.

Like in a conventional Xcom style game you'd play as an ultra elite squad where every sldier needs to fight like ten and become ubermench as time goes on and in the context of 40k this naturally favors groups like sspace marines because they're a bunch of Giga Chads.

Thing is, if you play Orks, you can really screw with this; You get to field considerably more troops that have a relatively low survivability *but* those that are able to survive enough battles will begin getting more and more screwy gear and equipment that makes you legitimately more interesting as your guys get to be bigger and greener as the campaign goes on with Late game unit being tricked out nobs, Killer kans, wierd boyz, pain boyz and maybe even some mega armor'd nobz.

Hell you can even mix some comedy in there with the player initially squaring off against guardsmen, then space marines and moving on to chaos forces who are interupting your fun; Like you play it up as their being some grand story about the imperium defending some critical gew gaw from an impending chaos incursion and your presence is just a wierd anomaly that everyone else is stuck dealing with while your warboss has zero fucks to give about any of that.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Dungeon Keeper meets Xcom?

hell yeah

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Honestly, If I was going to do an Xcom style game for 40k, I'd go and ahead and break the mold in half: Do an Ork centric game.

Like in a conventional Xcom style game you'd play as an ultra elite squad where every sldier needs to fight like ten and become ubermench as time goes on and in the context of 40k this naturally favors groups like sspace marines because they're a bunch of Giga Chads.

Thing is, if you play Orks, you can really screw with this; You get to field considerably more troops that have a relatively low survivability *but* those that are able to survive enough battles will begin getting more and more screwy gear and equipment that makes you legitimately more interesting as your guys get to be bigger and greener as the campaign goes on with Late game unit being tricked out nobs, Killer kans, wierd boyz, pain boyz and maybe even some mega armor'd nobz.

Hell you can even mix some comedy in there with the player initially squaring off against guardsmen, then space marines and moving on to chaos forces who are interupting your fun; Like you play it up as their being some grand story about the imperium defending some critical gew gaw from an impending chaos incursion and your presence is just a wierd anomaly that everyone else is stuck dealing with while your warboss has zero fucks to give about any of that.

I mean, don't orks eventually get big enough to engage like tanks directly?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Invictus wrote: »

According to the wiki the largest one recorded, known as The Beast, was 30 feet tall, smashed titans, and fought Vulkan to a standstill.

Also when there's enough of them civilization just kind of happens. An Ork Xcom would have only one resource: population. You unlock technology as you hit the required population.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

According to the wiki the largest one recorded, known as The Beast, was 30 feet tall, smashed titans, and fought Vulkan to a standstill.

Also when there's enough of them civilization just kind of happens. An Ork Xcom would have only one resource: population. You unlock technology as you hit the required population.

Is that like a thousand monkeys on typewriters situation?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Hevach wrote: »

Is that like a thousand monkeys on typewriters situation?

Canon offers two explanations, both tied to some kind of psychic gestalt effect.

One explanation is that the more of them there are, the more powerful their collective belief becomes and technology just starts working.

The more complex one is that the technology is minimally sufficient but works on its own without Ork belief, but it was all invented long ago, and their collective psychic effect gives them progressively more access to a kind of archive of species memory.

40k doesn't really do technobabble well and the first one is much more fun.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like, for my money having missions set up where you rush into a heavily defended position and overwhelm it in a grievously bloody zerg rush with orcs getting blown to smithereens and your warbosss celebrating your willful disregard for the survival of your troops relative to the ability to krump da 'umies would be fucking amazing.

Or having a space marine drop pod show up with a squad quoting the adeptus astartes and your Nob interrupting him with a stickbomb.

Like just have a fucking blast.

• Options

Break the mold? Orks? Racism!?

• Options
    Been playing King Arthur some more, and perhaps I should not have started on the Hard difficulty. Just about everybody is rocking vitality damage or wound debuffs most of the time.

I have just managed to get enough knights and castle resources that I can afford to sideline some for healing each mission, but this sucks when it's Mordred on the sidelines...for two reasons.

1. Mordred is the best tank and it isn't close.
    2. The game assumes Mordred is present in character interaction, so you hear his dialog even if he's not there.

So far Lady Dindraine has been the standout team member with her archery, though she's a bit of a god botherer for my taste (I'm going for Pagan/Tyrant alignment because... Mordred).

Jury is still out on whether this is an XCOM or not. The missions themselves feel kinda like exploring maps in Baldur's Gate. Most if not all the soldiers are pre-designed Arthurian mythology characters (but there are a lot of them). Not sure if the side missions are random. Events are random. I hear there's a roguelite mode, which bears investigation.

• Options

I would play this game for a real long time

• Options

I would play this game for a real long time

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    But would you play it twice?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    uy6m5fwgmjgg.png

Fell Seal is free to claim with Prime this month.

It's a really decent FF:Tactics like, with bland art that makes it not stand out at all. I enjoyed it and finished it right on release. Not crazy long if I remember, maybe a 40h experience.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Pheonix Point is getting Steam Workshop support, finally. And in the preview image of the in game mod manager they highlight the description of one of the biggest peeves I've seen from people going over from XCOM.

mods_1.png

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Have y'all see the trailer for that new Square Enix game? Diofield Chronicle?

The tactics combat looks a lot closer to FFT, Fire Emblem, or Disgaea (a Tactics RPG) as opposed to the combat of XCOM (Turn-Based Tactical Action Combat). But it also looks like it has way bigger spells and effects. Some of the abilities they show off in the trailer look absolutely huge.

Anyway, the story seems like a fairly generic premise, but the graphics and combat definitely have caught my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16eW4pAJUKU

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Pheonix Point is getting Steam Workshop support, finally. And in the preview image of the in game mod manager they highlight the description of one of the biggest peeves I've seen from people going over from XCOM.

mods_1.png

I actually kinda like ammo use in PP; it makes me feel like a last-ditch rag-tag bunch of post-apocalyptic soldiers, and gives me some tough choices (do I use the powerful shotgun I just found with only one reload, or do I have the lab reverse engineer it, destroying it so I can build more of them, and as much ammo a I can afford?

That said, it was a big adjustment coming over from XCOM, and I would not blame anyone who turned it off.

I wonder if it applies to grenades and rockets... rocket ammo is expensive and heavy for good reason. Probably better if those were limited per mission (like XCOM), not reloadable in-mission.

• Options
    I didn't like the one per use in XCOM.

If I want to fill my backpack with three more rockets and outfit my guy with a rocket launcher and a pistol that's my call.

• Options
    I didn't like the one per use in XCOM.

If I want to fill my backpack with three more rockets and outfit my guy with a rocket launcher and a pistol that's my call.

That's fair. But XCOM doesn't have limited space backpacks, and you have to limit explosives somehow, otherwise you get an 1812 Overture montage of explosions that trivializes encounters.

Phoenix Point DOES let you stuff your backpack with heavy, expensive rockets, which is fun but possibly with an opportunity cost that is too high. My point was that there needs to be a carve-out of the "no ammo" toggle to handle explosives.