As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The British are coming....again

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
Well we've had Australians and Portugese post on these forums so I thought I'd ask if anyone from the British Isles plans to go to PAX '08? I'm asking as I hail from the Blighty AKA UK and will be going to my first PAX ever and wondered if anyone else from the Sceptred Isle is going also.

Now I am meeting someone there but the 9.5 hour plane ride may be a tad more pleasant with a fellow PAX attendee. I'm going to be using BA as Virgin don't fly to Seattle (bah!) and will get there on the 28th. So anyone else doing the same trip?

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Virgin america flies to seattle :P

So if you can get a Virgin flight to Washginton DC or LA from the UK, you could get a Virgin flight to seattle from there.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • AmoniteaAmonitea Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Myself and a friend actualy went to PAX 07, we are from London. We are trying to go again this year, along with around another 3 of my friends. We ourselves, if going, will be taking BA too, which is what we took last time, the flight isn't too bad tbh, on the way back I slept the entire way O_o

Amonitea on
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd be careful how you approach, we might light lanterns and run you off again.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    Well we invaded perfectly fine last year :P We had to make a tactical retreat though a few days after to Canada in order to restock on supplies (visit family friend) but then realised we had to actualy head back to Great Britania in order to restock on tea... and crumpets...

Amonitea on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd be careful how you approach, we might light lanterns and run you off again.

Nah, we'll just submit them to OUR taxes. *curses the state's 7.7%*

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the replies. First off I have no intention of taking a connecting flight from LAX considering the fact that I would have just come off of a 11 hour flight from Heathrow! BA are the only reputable carrier that does a direct flight to Seattle hence the limitation.

Anyway if anyone is travelling from London to PAX this year on 28th then I'd more more that happy to meet up.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited February 2008
    I'm afraid that if we do go, we will be leaving on the 26th, from Heathrow, but it is still not a guarantee if we can go yet though, there has to be more Brits going than just us though... I'd hope... :D

Amonitea on
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Amonitea wrote: »
    I'm afraid that if we do go, we will be leaving on the 26th, from Heathrow, but it is still not a guarantee if we can go yet though, there has to be more Brits going than just us though... I'd hope... :D

Heathrow isn't in Jamaica! don't be silly.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
    edited February 2008
    Foxy_Roxy wrote: »

You're alive!!! :D Jamaica was too dreary, rained too much, so I moved somewhere warmer with large amounts of sun.... England ;-) I still remember my 'Jamaican' roots!

Hope to see you out there (if we can go that is, should know end of this month) Frenchy might be coming, but I have a few others that want to come.

Amonitea on
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You're alive!!! :D Jamaica was too dreary, rained too much, so I moved somewhere warmer with large amounts of sun.... England ;-) I still remember my 'Jamaican' roots!

Hope to see you out there (if we can go that is, should know end of this month) Frenchy might be coming, but I have a few others that want to come.

Me and David are deffinately coming, don't know about Jesse yet.
    See you there, Nancy boy.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
    edited February 2008
    Me and David are deffinately coming, don't know about Jesse yet.
    See you there, Nancy boy.

We have to meet up as soon as possible :D as I said before, we SHOULD be arriving on the 26th, Sheraton again most likely, so... we should try and find each other before then, and then line up together, my DS is a hankerin' for some whoopin' O_o You'll get to meet one or a few of my friends too, other than Frenchy, but it still depends on whether we can go, its look more likely though, before we hit a major dead end, but I've found a way round. Jesse better go!

Amonitea on
  • FiregauntletsFiregauntlets Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Me and my friend are turning 18 this August and at this age you pretty have no idea what to do for your birthday, theres always the safe options of lan partying or going paintballing seeing as we're not big social drinkers (bars wise) but then it suddenly clicked, lets spend an unreasonable ammount of cash and completely drain both our monies and go to PAX. So youll be getting 2 more of us Brittish folk, look for us, we'll be the ones in the top hats with cups of tea complaining about the weather :P. Does anyone know the best way to get there from the UK? or like the best airline to go with im guessing cos thats a LONG way by boat.

Firegauntlets on
  • CorneliusbCorneliusb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Me and the girlfriend are going over on the 27th from London. Will know more details on the flights soon as I am booking them this weekend!

Corneliusb on
  • emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Nah, we'll just submit them to OUR taxes. *curses the state's 7.7%*

Sales tax here is 17.5% (VAT).

If PAX was held a bit later in the year I'd probably make it. Maybe the husband and I will head up next year as my brother lives up there.

Have a great time spreading the joys of Bangers and Mash.

emimonster on
  • RomulasRomulas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nice ill be in seattle come pax anyway but we should have a brit party.... but we ill have to keep the ginger kids away.

Romulas on
  • jazzajazza Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    I'm planing to come from the UK as well. Just need to sort out passport after it expired :(

I like the idea of the brit party

Also first post, after lurking for several months ;)

jazza on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    brit party sounds great, we're not gonna know anyone over there so itl give us a chance to steal some friends before the day ^^, and also could alll brits let me know where theyve found the cheapest flights so far, especially the guy who said hes booking them soon pls :D

Firegauntlets on
    edited February 2008
    Romulas wrote: »
    nice ill be in seattle come pax anyway but we should have a brit party.... but we ill have to keep the ginger kids away.

Haha, thats funny, last year I went wearing an Orange 'Ginger Appreciation Society Member' tshirt (only hugged one ginger, and shook hands with another... after that I was gingered out...)

Err, I'm booking with British Airways (assume I can sort out going, should get it done by the end of this month... hopefully...) their flight was £530 or so i think Return, direct flight, it's not fantastic, but I don't want to hassle with a stop off, even if it does save money, though one of my friends is taking a detour to Detroit before getting on another plane to Seattle.

I'd love to get together with more Brits once there... If you get on the same flight as me, I'll be the guy wearing the Orange Ginger Appreciation tshirt on the flight, i also have a beard and glasses to further pinpoint my existance, so feel free to say hi! (if you want to take the risk of talking to the wrong person, but... lets face it, who wears orange?! :P) I am bringing one, maybe three friends with me. I just wonder if I'll be on the PAX 07 dvd in the line (was near the very front) calling out in an over the top british 'tea and crumpets' accent... Jolly good show!

Amonitea on
    edited February 2008
    SHIT YEAH. i will make it my duty to set up a brit party, anyone interested please PM me and ill give you my MSN... i live back and forth between seattle and london so it will rock... anyone over 21 i encourage you to bring stella if you like it because its hard to buy out there... hell yeah this is gonna be touch.

Romulas on
    edited February 2008
    brit party sounds great, we're not gonna know anyone over there so itl give us a chance to steal some friends before the day ^^, and also could alll brits let me know where theyve found the cheapest flights so far, especially the guy who said hes booking them soon pls :D

cheaptickets.com m8 they charge in US dollars but the flights are insanely cheap if you want to fly out of LHR then you can get tickets as cheap as $865 after taxes and fees, plus thats a non-stop flight. so you are looking at about £450 if you book now on cheaptickets.com.........

on a personal note i have used cheap tickets for almost all my flights in and out of england and im always pleased, they send you an email with your flight info promptly and you can request specific seats sometimes... and to check for good seats go to http://www.seatguru.com/ and look up the type of airplane you are going to be in (in the email cheaptickets sends) it will give you a wicked look into how good your seat will be so that you can prepare for the journey...

good luck, and PM me if you need an assist.

Romulas on
  • Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Firegauntlets-

Try www.statravel.co.uk -

They do discounts for under 26/Students and sometimes get special rates from the airlines for these groups. You could do a lot worse than give them a ring or check the website to see what they offer.

Rogueknight- on
    edited February 2008
    thanks those who keep it coming. The ones on cheaptickets.com are okay for those wondering, i had a glance but tbh arent that much different from British airways, im just finishing a search on www.statravel.co.uk but realisitically its looking like im gonna be paying close to £500 or $1000 for the flights alone right now, if anyone has any other travel advice keep it coming

Firegauntlets on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm British, but I live in Los Angeles. Do I count?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    only if you and as many brits as you can corral get on the West Coast Train Trip.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited February 2008
    I'm British, but I live in Los Angeles. Do I count?

you count yes... but only if you support arsenal C'MON YOU GOONERS! sorry, had to do it. but for reelz, you count, also , should i make a new thread for the brit party plans, or just keep it on this thread.... another question is should we allow the prison colonials to come, they are still part of the commonwealth so i say we let them come.... as long as no one brings that rhino piss called fosters.

Romulas on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    You should probably keep it in this thread since it's established and most of you are already subscribed to it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    should we allow the prison colonials to come, they are still part of the commonwealth so i say we let them come....

Under that logic don't you have to invite the Canadians as well? ;-)

SlickShughes on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ooh, I didn't even know there was one [ed: the WCTT08, I mean]. Count me in. I might be able to wrangle up another Brit, and possibly a French guy who used to live in England.

Edit: I am probably the least British British person you will ever meet. I don't like soccer, I'm not that fond of tea, and I have seldom worn a monocle (I may have to buy a new one especially for this trip, though). When I was into soccer (which was when I was 8 year old) I was an Arsenal fan. I had the kit and everything.

Squirminator2k on
    edited February 2008
    The Brit party sounds like a good idea although extending it to the Commonwealth would be good too.This would indeed include Canadians, Kiwi's and Australians.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• bar room herobar room hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Signed up to the forums to announce that a representative of the glorious nation of Wales will be attending. Hopefully booking plane and hotel next month

bar room hero on
  • snessysnessy Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    kropotkin wrote: »
    The Brit party sounds like a good idea although extending it to the Commonwealth would be good too.This would indeed include Canadians, Kiwi's and Australians.
    ]

ye im also interested mate. ive got a freind whos coming and we all live london.

i will contact you later for details.

snessy on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cheap flights to Seattle http://www.asda-travel.co.uk/travelreq.php?1121003

Wish I was going, too, Take some Lady Grey tea with you!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited February 2008
    Asda... is there anything they can't do?

Squirminator2k on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sell peanut butter twixes! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited February 2008

It's a good thing I don't like Peanut Butter Twixes, then. Still, I can buy them at the Employee Center here at work, should my tastebuds ever go on holiday.

Squirminator2k on
    edited February 2008
    for those of you who live in or around london, we should meet up for a pint before i go stateside on the 12th...

Romulas on
    edited February 2008
    for those of you who live in or around london, we should meet up for a pint before i go stateside on the 12th...

Sounds like a good idea. There should be some kind of collective who are heading to PAX from The Big Smoke AKA London or indeed the UK in general. Lets try to maintain an active thread here and organise something closer to the time.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• CorneliusbCorneliusb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Booked my tickets now! I used STA Travel and managed to get a BA return flight for just under £500 so pretty pleased with that. I would be up for a few pre flight pints in London for sure.

Corneliusb on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm coming, hoping to jump on the CCST but I'll be there. :D

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cheap flights to Seattle http://www.asda-travel.co.uk/travelreq.php?1121003

Wish I was going, too, Take some Lady Grey tea with you!

We should totally go. We could buy twixs, and sell paintings at PAX to pay for our flights.

LewieP on
This discussion has been closed.