As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] One Ring Four Mana

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    67wzvvmxnss4.png

Huh. Splicers got upgrades?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    hmm yup, looks like the Splicers and their tokens got the Phyrexian type added when they created it (I think) when Vorinclex showed up in Kaldheim

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    16c8d2803g4l.jpg
    lvwck0uwfgxg.jpg

7-0 in my first Chromatic Cube draft with one of the most insane decks I've ever drafted in any cube.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    hmm yup, looks like the Splicers and their tokens got the Phyrexian type added when they created it (I think) when Vorinclex showed up in Kaldheim

It got changed in the big Phyrexian creature type update, yeah, although IIRC that was a while after Kaldheim on account of the size of the project. Germs are also Phyrexian now, by the by.

Initially there was some weirdness like Chancellor of the Forge making Phyrexian Goblins from your opening hand but only Goblins when it ETB'd, but they've fixed that since. Now you've just got weirdness like the Masterwork Wurmcoil Engine, Seventh Edition Western Paladin, and Consecrated Sphinx.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    16c8d2803g4l.jpg
    lvwck0uwfgxg.jpg

7-0 in my first Chromatic Cube draft with one of the most insane decks I've ever drafted in any cube.

This deck feels illegal

I ate an engineer
    edited June 2022
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Relatedly, Phil's got more than one piece in the set and Kaja's got a few as well.

Checking the full variant image gallery, Chaos Warp is the only piece by either Foglio in 2X2. Phil was probably mistaken about where the pieces were going, understandably. (Or I misinterpreted him, which is also fair.)

The next logical place to look will be Unfinity, although a Secret Lair probably isn't out of the question.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Didn’t WotC confirm that there’s a Foglio Secret Lair coming? I thought they announced it on one of the livestreams, but it’s a little further out in the release schedule IIRC.

jgeis wrote: »
    Didn’t WotC confirm that there’s a Foglio Secret Lair coming? I thought they announced it on one of the livestreams, but it’s a little further out in the release schedule IIRC.

A quick Google confirms this, yes. Due later this year.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That has potential.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Rules question: Can you flash in cards that have "At the beginning of your upkeep if X then Y" and have them fire that turn (assuming X is true)?

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Rules question: Can you flash in cards that have "At the beginning of your upkeep if X then Y" and have them fire that turn (assuming X is true)?

The best way to look is those triggers happen as the phase moves to upkeep. So it cannot be during your upkeep when you flash them in to get the effect.

If it said "at the end of your upkeep" that would worbe, cause then it would be as you move OUT of upkeep.

Docshifty on
    Nope, you can't do things before upkeep triggers happen

I ate an engineer
    Xeddicus wrote: »

In addition to the above posts, that specific wording is an "intervening if" clause. Those check on both triggering and on resolution; if the condition isn't true when it would trigger then it doesn't even trigger in the first place.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Nope, you can't do things before upkeep triggers happen

yeah, nobody gets priority during the untap step and stuff that gets triggered during it doesn't get put on the stap until your upkeep

there is a way to win during your untap step, but it's extremely niche and complex and relies entirely on replacement effects

The Warhammer 40K commander decks have been delayed to October 7th, the associated Secret Lairs are also being pushed but there's no specific date for them yet.

The best part about the 40k delay is that's the same (new) release date as Unfinity. I'm sure the stores will love WotC counter-progamming itself.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited June 2022
    hqooid7691cf.png

I did mean things to people in this Cube Bo3 3-0. Casting Olivia with Massacure Wurm in the bin was my favorite, though.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    pb--OXVKTP-r1Ef3pyojzRmH7MFftIHc_pKp2jftsAY.jpg?width=552&auto=webp&s=d1925af96dfe005a2d0134d0aa9b23186438180f

Well Alchemy just spoiled an absurdly strong piece of 1 mana removal that will also ruin Brawl even more

I ate an engineer
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Y’all remember historic

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why does that card need to be an alchemy? I don't understand.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Perpetually

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

If you fail to kill it then the card still robs the creature of all of its abilities forever. You couldn't do that outside of alchemy.

Quire.jpg

If you fail to kill it then the card still robs the creature of all of its abilities forever. You couldn't do that outside of alchemy.

Sure you can.

hmndchrwl6dv.png

It's clunky as hell and basically needs its own rules, but it's absolutely possible.

Now, if you told me perpetually follows it through zone changes, I'll take your word for it and this has to be alchemy, but my understanding is that's not how it works.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

“perpetually”

closest they could do in paper would be to have it be a 1-mana enchantment with Flash that removed abilities, and then dealt damage

Or even if you do kill it, like an Arclight Phoenix.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Perpetually does follow through zone changes.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Sure you can.

It's clunky as hell and basically needs its own rules, but it's absolutely possible.

Now, if you told me perpetually follows it through zone changes, I'll take your word for it and this has to be alchemy, but my understanding is that's not how it works.

yeah sorry you've been misinformed about perpetual. perpetual follows a card whether it gets bounced, goes into the graveyard, returns to the library, etc. the only thing that clears perpetual is being sent to the command zone, because otherwise players would be really mad about commanders being countered

liEt3nH.png
    As far as Brawl goes the fact it's a 1 mana not removable way to turn off most engine commanders means it's still quite rude

I ate an engineer

Sure you can.

yeah sorry you've been misinformed about perpetual. perpetual follows a card whether it gets bounced, goes into the graveyard, returns to the library, etc. the only thing that clears perpetual is being sent to the command zone, because otherwise players would be really mad about commanders being countered

Makes more sense now, thank you for the clarification!

As far as Brawl goes the fact it's a 1 mana not removable way to turn off most engine commanders means it's still quite rude

Didn't they change it so perpetual doesn't include the command zone?

Polaritie wrote: »

Didn't they change it so perpetual doesn't include the command zone?

Yeah but if you don't kill the commander it's now just sitting there with an overpriced power/toughness doing fuck all

liEt3nH.png
    Yep, for any commander that isn't just there for ETB card advantage, it's a 1-mana "find a way to kill your own commander or your deck doesn't work, lol" card.

I ate an engineer
    Yep, for any commander that isn't just there for ETB card advantage, it's a 1-mana "find a way to kill your own commander or your deck doesn't work, lol" card.

They've done something similar before, potentially harder to kill without enchantment removal

Image.ashx?multiverseid=545704&type=card

They've done something similar before, potentially harder to kill without enchantment removal

Yeah, there's a number of enchantments that work to neuter commanders pretty effectively. Witness Protection also works pretty nicely there.

I remember one time at a table a long time ago someone resolved a Lignify on a commander and the player just scooped in response. Their deck had no way whatsoever to deal with an aura that bricked the commander. At the time I thought it was really funny, all they had to do was wait for a wrath to reset.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

They've done several similar things before, yes - most recently Witness Protection, which is {U}, and very similar. However, those are both separate permanents that can be removed, losing the effect, and if the creature dies, and is brought back, or otherwise changes zone, they are lost. Perpetual is a very, very different outcome in gameplay, basically.

n57PM0C.jpg
    it's also important to remember the value of A) redundancy in effects and B) instant speed 1 mana shit

liEt3nH.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I think my favourite has been using Mystic Reflection to turn their commander into a copy of a 0/4 wall

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I remember one time at a table a long time ago someone resolved a Lignify on a commander and the player just scooped in response. Their deck had no way whatsoever to deal with an aura that bricked the commander. At the time I thought it was really funny, all they had to do was wait for a wrath to reset.

What's lignify

BahamutZERO.gif
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

What's lignify

Not much, what's lignify with you?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.