As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Mavs expecting Jalen Brunson to sign with the Knicks for 4/100+. Knicks get their overpaid player in free agency, just like always.

Why.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Knicks gonna Knick.

Sucks for Dallas fans who thought they'd be able to keep him on a semi-reasonable deal.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Such a stupid contract. Like, good for Jalen, get that bag.

But wow. What a stupid contract.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I don't see how Luka stays in Dallas at this rate

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Knicks clear the space

Man, when was the last time the Knicks actually tried to build a team through the draft? When they got Ewing?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

He did just make the conference finals (though it felt like a Blazers/Hawks style flukey run, not a true contender run), and they also added Christian Wood, who seems like a better fit than Brunson anyway. Things could be worse.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Such a stupid contract. Like, good for Jalen, get that bag.

But wow. What a stupid contract.

Is it though? I looked up player salaries on Hoopshype. There are 50 players earning 25 mil and up next season, with another 10 players at 20 mil and up. And not all of them are star players. 100 mil / 4 years doesn't sound to crazy to me, given the explosion of player salaries in recent years.

burbo wrote: »

He did just make the conference finals (though it felt like a Blazers/Hawks style flukey run, not a true contender run), and they also added Christian Wood, who seems like a better fit than Brunson anyway. Things could be worse.

LeBron made the NBA Finals with Cleveland once before leaving and Dallas, despite being a higher profile franchise, has struggled to attract free agents for a long time now. He's locked in for a while but I can easily see him being in a Dame-like situation in a couple years.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Knicks clear the space

Man, when was the last time the Knicks actually tried to build a team through the draft? When they got Ewing?

Wow, Detroit is loaded with young talent.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Nerlens Noel
    young talent

LeBron made the NBA Finals with Cleveland once before leaving and Dallas, despite being a higher profile franchise, has struggled to attract free agents for a long time now. He's locked in for a while but I can easily see him being in a Dame-like situation in a couple years.

The Mavs have at least shown a willingness to mix up there team to try new looks. Part of whats been tough with Dame is they threw out the same unbalanced roster year after year. (Then they traded CJ only to promote, amd probably pay, Simons, restoring the exact same unbalance)

This is...interesting. I felt like Will Barton was one of Denver's better and consistent players, but apparently Denver wanted Caldwell-Pope.

The Mavs have at least shown a willingness to mix up there team to try new looks. Part of whats been tough with Dame is they threw out the same unbalanced roster year after year. (Then they traded CJ only to promote, amd probably pay, Simons, restoring the exact same unbalance)

Sure but they still struggled to attract free agents just like Cleveland and Portland. We all remember the last time they came close to a big name on the market:

Sure but they still struggled to attract free agents just like Cleveland and Portland. We all remember the last time they came close to a big name on the market:

Is that what you think of as the dividing line for franchises that will/should have their superstars bounce, i whether or not they can attract FA? For me, it usually just seems if they are competent and can keep growing and put in a competitive environment.

That being said, I don't have a ton of confidence that Dallas has a path to growth outside of Luka getting even better, either.

That was 7 years ago already? Geez.

That was 7 years ago already? Geez.

It was 31 years for DeAndre Jordan’s joints

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The current political climate could also be a factor. If I'm a player (or a player's wife/family) Texas and Ohio are some of the last places I would want to relocate to. Blue states or Toronto only, please

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    The current political climate could also be a factor. If I'm a player (or a player's wife/family) Texas and Ohio are some of the last places I would want to relocate to. Blue states or Toronto only, please

That's because you're thinking like a normal person and not a rich person. Florida doesn't have a state tax so pay here is worth more and if you go to Orlando you have a bunch of places to take your kids that are nearby for them to have fun on your time off. Plus if you need to get an abortion you can just go somewhere and get it done, because you're rich and travelling all the time, it won't look like you took a trip just for that and nobody is going to stop you anyway.

edited June 2022
    I think who else is on the team is the biggest factor for the NBA, and ownership/coach is a significant impact on where players consider going in the NFL. Lebron recently moving to LA for the weather/Hollywood is far more the exception, as neither the Lakers nor the Knicks were getting star interest besides that.

Stars in the NBA basically have 2 contracts to choose from- Max or Supermax (if they are Marcus Smart but not Jayson Tatum, at least), and the NFL has a fairly clear positional market, with the main differentiator being how much is guaranteed.

MLB has so thoroughly fucked with players that those guys often have to go to the only team willing to pay, since there’s no clear rules for what they should expect/get. The big markets theoretically can afford more, hence why the Yankees/etc have a bad rap here (though in reality, the billionaires that own the Guardians or Twins, etc, can afford just as much). 25 MLB teams per year shoot for 78-86 wins and you don’t need a high-paid star to do that.

I think a lot of folks overweight market prestige for the NBA because of this old tradition in MLB…

Captain Inertia on
    NBA destination teams, based on roster and ownership/management, plus noted other things)
    Boston (especially if a good white player)
    Miami (good roster and proven franchise)
    San Antonio* (another great story from around the Mavs thing above was the leaks about how the Lakers/Knicks courted LMA before he picked a non-trash org) (*though Pop is old and the roster ain’t good)
    Bucks (they’re out of money but who wouldn’t want to play with Giannis)
    Grizzlies (ascendant team and a franchise that was regularly in the playoffs before Ja)
    Nuggs (Jokic would be a dream to play next to and Murray would knife his grandma to win a game)
    Warriors (…..)
    Clippers** (Lue is legit a good coach and they have a very good frontcourt to go with George/Kawhi) (**but they are the Clippers)

Stay-the-fuck-away teams
    Kings (they are the Kings)
    Nets (they are the Nets)
    Knicks (Dolan)
    Rockets (Fertitta)
    Suns (Sarver)
    Lakers (the lesser Busses, their incompetent hires, and that roster)

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    the only problem with the heat is the fact that i'm kinda lazy and don't want jimmy to yell at me

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2022
    Honestly, it seems like most of the "name" players who want to go somewhere on a discount end up on the Clippers, Miami, and at least as far as last season, the Nets. It's honestly kind of amazing how high it seems like the Clippers are on that list, and somehow Kawhi seems to still have a rep as a guy you'd like to play with. To me, Kawhi is much more of just like a really quiet Kyrie-lite, in terms of his commitment to being a good teammate and respecting the fan base and all that.

burbo on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Nerlens Noel
    young talent

I don't mind. I like that they are mixing in vets with all the young talent they have.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Lawhi’s knucklehead period was brief and cringe, but he’s been great ever since getting a trophy in Toronto and pulling off the Clippers thing

His last year in San Antonio and leaks about his political views (well more his views of other players’ political views) were really off putting though, yeah

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

That's because you're thinking like a normal person and not a rich person. Florida doesn't have a state tax so pay here is worth more and if you go to Orlando you have a bunch of places to take your kids that are nearby for them to have fun on your time off. Plus if you need to get an abortion you can just go somewhere and get it done, because you're rich and travelling all the time, it won't look like you took a trip just for that and nobody is going to stop you anyway.

Washington doesn't have an income tax yet you don't see players clamoring to play in Seatt-oh... right.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    NBA destination teams, based on roster and ownership/management, plus noted other things)
    San Antonio* (another great story from around the Mavs thing above was the leaks about how the Lakers/Knicks courted LMA before he picked a non-trash org) (*though Pop is old and the roster ain’t good)
    Grizzlies (ascendant team and a franchise that was regularly in the playoffs before Ja)
    Nuggs (Jokic would be a dream to play next to and Murray would knife his grandma to win a game)
    Warriors (…..)
    Clippers** (Lue is legit a good coach and they have a very good frontcourt to go with George/Kawhi) (**but they are the Clippers)

Stay-the-fuck-away teams
    Nets (they are the Nets)
    Knicks (Dolan)
    Rockets (Fertitta)
    Suns (Sarver)

I don’t think Boston is on that list. With the way they handled Isaiah and the cold and the taxes and the racism. What was the last free agent they landed?

Lawhi’s knucklehead period was brief and cringe, but he’s been great ever since getting a trophy in Toronto and pulling off the Clippers thing

His last year in San Antonio and leaks about his political views (well more his views of other players’ political views) were really off putting though, yeah

Even on the Clippers, weren't there a lot of rumors about players being sick of his load management, seeking preferential treatment from the team, not performing any leadership, and being really secretive and uncommunicative about his health/injuries/availability? Its certainly a different flavor than Kyrie's gift from God messiah complex, but I thought there were rumor/reports of teammates being tired of his bullshit.

Oh wow, Dejounte Murray traded to the Hawks for multiple 1st round picks and Danilo Gallinari. Spurs restarting the rebuild. Wonder how much longer Popovich stays

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I wonder if Pop will just retire, he doesn't have anything left to prove.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The main concerns for players re: free agency are 1) money 2) who else is on the team and 3) what’s the coach/management/culture situation, with 3) seeming to be a distant third in most cases. Media markets are basically all the same now and they can all live wherever they want (LA) in the off-season anyway.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I wonder if Pop will just retire, he doesn't have anything left to prove.

Kerr needs needs an assistant head coach now....

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2022
    The Hawks made a smart trade.

Edit: And by smart I mean not smart.

Inquisitor77 on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Warriors (…..)

Stay-the-fuck-away teams
    Nets (they are the Nets)
    Knicks (Dolan)
    Rockets (Fertitta)
    Suns (Sarver)

I don’t think Boston is on that list. With the way they handled Isaiah and the cold and the taxes and the racism. What was the last free agent they landed?

Horford and gordon hayward. They haven’t really had cap space or a good fitting expensive FA since

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Durant has requested a trade from the Nets

What a complete and utter shitshow

edited June 2022
    KD doing some real Tywin Lannister shit and I love it.

Leaving Kyrie by himself in Brooklyn with the corpse of Ben Simmons is /chefskiss.

Inquisitor77 on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Seems like KD wants the chance to go at GSW and correct his battered legacy. Does this man make any career decisions that aren't based on his insecurity and hurt feelings?

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

He is the ultimate ring chaser, so makes sense.

A prospective WCF between Phoenix with KD and the Dubs does sound pretty fucking spicy though ngl