As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    There's some CRAZY names on that list.

Legacy Year 2
    • Core Sludge
    • Core Soundblaster
    • Core Slug
    • Deluxe Needlenose
    • Deluxe Hot Shot
    • Deluxe Junkion 1
    • Voyager Leo Prime
    • Voyager Tarn
    • Leader Prime Skyquake
    • Leader Armada Megatron

Velocitron Wave 2
    • Deluxe Shadow Striker
    • Deluxe Crasher
    • Voyager Hot Rod

Noooo! My wallet! (Seriously though, this is exactly the kind of news I need right now)

Excited for the Velocitron ladies. Shadow Striker was a Botcon retool of RiD Side-Burn and then languished in obscurity until her name was pulled out for Cyberverse where she was basically Bumblebee's nemesis. She's just a car so if I had to put money down, I'd say either SS86 Arcee or Legacy Elita-1 retool. Crasher is actually a Gobot, and is typically a retool of Mirage.

Voyager Hot Rod is probably a retool of SS86 Hot Rod into his IDW version.

Leo Prime is probably Lio Convoy, which might honestly be the craziest pull we've seen in the mainline. He's hte leader of the Cybertrons in japanse exclusive Beast Wars II series (and is very specifically not Optimus Primal or Optimus Prime.)

Tarn is basically a Decepticon true believer from the first IDW comics, leader of the Decepticon Justice Division (the ones who are called in to take out renegade Decepticons). He wears the Decepticon symbol as a mask and his true identity is secret, going by Tarn (one of the early cities the Decepticons first conquered). He's such a fanboy of Megatron that he named his ship "Peaceful Tyranny' and he has TWO fusion cannons on his arm. Him as a voyager is a little weird (he's supposed to be even bigger than Megatron) but I'm excited to get him at all.

Skyquake was a bigass bruiser of a Decepticon jet from Transformers: Prime. Totally makes sense for him to be a leader.

Interesting that it's "Armada Megatron" but just "Hot Shot" There's a few bots who've used the name Hot Shot but the Unicron Trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) Hot Shot is easily the most well known, with the Armada version being the one that comes to mind for me. And yeah, Commander class Tidal Wave seems like a distinct possibilty. (I was hoping he'd get released as a Titan sized aircraft carrier, but I'm in the minority on that.)

Core class Dinobots are a weird choice since A. They're typically supposed to be BIG and B. You'd think they do more Autobot cars for the repaint potential.

Soundblaster is a repaint of Soundwave. He was originally an upgraded Soundwave in Japanese Headmasters anime, but he's typically been portrayed as a separate character since then, frequently a clone of Soundwave.

They've been trying to get Needlenose, a G1 Targetmaster, out for YEARS now. He's lost a couple of fan votes to get a new toy. Glad to see him finally getting his due even though he's not on my want list.

Generically named Junkion 1 is weird. I hope they removable limbs and are like build a figures so you can make your own unique designs.

That, honestly, might be the most batshit weird list of characters I've seen in a mainline TF series.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Dinobots are supposed to be huge, and I think the Studio Series takes care of that. I want a Legends sized set and this will fit the bill quite nicely I think. Plus the price will be around $10 which is better than the 3P prices for their bots. Granted the 3P ones are mini Masterpiece level of engineering, but I can enjoy simple toys as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    A while ago I posted my space marine squad. This picture:

jx7fnf23a5y0.jpg

The thing I didn't mention was that right after Liara, I purchased a new girl on the far left, Jane. She has the "tea" shade of skin (light brown) and I gave her brown eyes and the blonde wavy wig I already had. The thing is, the more I looked at her, the more I realized that I like her sculpt more than I like Lucy Shepard (center doll, in "cinnamon" skin tone). Now in reality, every doll here except Liara is a style of Shepard, because I haven't cast anyone as Ashley, Miranda, or Kasumi, but in practice Lucy Shepard was my "main" Shepard, for whom I would be making the first armor set and weapon. It turns out I like Jane so much, though, that she is now my "main" Shepard.

With that in mind, I swapped her brown eyes out for the green Lucy was wearing (Lucy now has brown eyes) and I did some wig swaps to see which wig I liked her best in. First up, I tried this red pixie cut:

lne0r93ho9ub.jpg
    xq554yuy6fx8.jpg

I know "default" Shep is a redhead, and I love red hair so I really wanted to like this wig. I even kept her in it for about 20 minutes while I was still deciding. But ultimately I'm not quite sold on this wig. Maybe if it was just slightly longer, I don't know. Part of the thing about wigs for these dolls is that sometimes you put a wig on a doll and it just feels "right" and other times you put one on and it looks like... well, a wig. I can't explain logically what makes a wig work and what doesn't. This one is pretty close, but just not quite right.

Next, I tried a brown bob:

rzg626zgy28x.jpg
    m6zqej83jimz.jpg

This wig might be my favorite doll wig. It's at least among the top three that I have. It's just so bouncy and cute. This is the one I have Lucy Shepard in. Ultimately it went right back to Lucy, because it didn't feel right for Jane.

After that, I went back to the blonde wavy wig I had started her in:

sv3oj3lk7bgb.jpg
    ijyo9s5genrb.jpg

This one surprised me with how well it works. I'm not a super big fan of blonde hair, but this one feels right. The only thing I disliked about it is that I really wanted my main Shepard to have shorter hair. My concept of the character is that she wouldn't be the type to keep her hair annoyingly long when she has to wear a helmet nearly every day of her job. There are some people willing to put up with that daily discomfort, but my Shepard just isn't one of them. Basically if you take any of Shepard's three pre-military origins, Spacer whose childhood was lived in space, Earthborn who was an orphan gang banger, or Colonist who was sold to slavers at 16, I don't think any one of those people would end up with a strong liking for long hair.

So finally I tried a wig I haven't taken out in a while, a dirty blonde bob:

6ez7yrm6dog7.jpg
    aqoz51zedsr2.jpg

And I think this is the one. Just like with the brown bob, I've always enjoyed this style of wig from Smart Doll that unfortunately they don't make anymore. Back when they did make it, I bought three wigs in this style - brown, dirty blonde, and a silver version. I've used brown often, and I'm always looking for someone to give the silver one to because I love that wig but it hasn't "fit" anyone yet, but I always worried that if I used the dirty blonde wig along side the brown one, it would look like the same wig palette swapped. But now I realize, even if it is the same style, it still has a different feel to it than the brown wig.

Since I was changing wigs around anyway, I took a look at the other dolls in the space marine squad to see if there was something else I wanted to change. I briefly tried Giselle (second doll from the right in the group photo above) in a lavender wig. She looks really cute in it, but I decided that I want all of the human members of my squad to have short hair, again because they're all Shepard versions really, and in my personal canon I don't think any Shepard wears her hair long. Giselle's red wig actually used to be long but I trimmed it to try to get it close to the brown bob. It needs some styling so I ordered a small curling iron to be delivered Monday which I'll use to get the nice rounding shape that the bob wigs have. If that wig turns out well I might end up using it on Jane Shepard, but I'm not sure yet. I did give one doll a long wig, and that doll is Liara, because I hate seeing the seam of her headcap every time I look at the display. Someday I'll have some head tentacles for her, but in the meantime I put her in the default blue wig and tied it into a ponytail. Here's the final squad photo:

5e2r14d2a2zn.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I was not expecting quite that much cleavage when I clicked on that thread. :grin:

See this is why I have the artistic talent of a block of wood. I looked at all of those hair styles and went, that looks cool. Ok, so not as bad as a block of wood, but it isn't cultivated enough. I do like reading people's thoughts of things so that was really fun for me to see your process.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    I like the final style!

(My Shepard was blonde, so I'm totally biased toward that look.)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I was not expecting quite that much cleavage when I clicked on that thread. :grin:

It's vinyl, vinyl!

Regarding boobies, every member of the squad has a different boob sculpt. I've basically purchased every style of boob that Smart Doll has ever sold in at least one shade. For the longest time I had an extra tea boob piece floating around in my kit with no one to wear it, because Giselle already has the XS boobs (a size very hard to get now).

Originally I purchased boobs in every size because my goal was to make clothes for Smart Doll, and I thought it would be smart to have all the sizes to try the clothes on. I've pretty much scrapped by desire to make clothes to sell. However, I still like having the different sculpts because I like boob diversity.

If you're curious, the boob sculpts are:
    Going from left to right on the bottom photo of my last post -
    Giselle: XS
    Liara: Small (this is the default size that comes with the dolls)
    Jane Shepard: Push-up (medium)
    Lucy Shepard: Medium
    Solana: Large

I also own an XL boob size, but I don't have a doll that uses it. Maybe if I get another cinnamon doll I'll give it to her.

Speaking of body mods, I remembered in swapping things around that Lucy Shepard has some lovely muscled biceps that I can't just hand over to Jane Shepard because they're the wrong skin color. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a pair of tea upper boy arms. Frankly I'd like for them all to have some muscle but I doubt I'll ever get blue or even cocoa boy arms again.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited June 2022
    I've told y'all before about the "Chaos" boxes Danny Choo sells, right? They're kind of like real-world loot boxes except much less predatory because the value inside the boxes is always either equal to or more than what you paid. So I've routinely made a profit by purchasing loot boxes and then selling the contents piecemeal.

Chaos 1x boxes are 30,000 yen (about $260), 2x boxes are 60,000 yen (about $500) and 3x boxes are 90,000 yen (about $700). I always get the 3x box because it has the most special contents.

Every once in a while, Danny will put out a single chaos box sold at $120,000 yen (about $900). In the past he has labeled this as the "spaceship" box, and it is reported contained the 1/2 scale Smart doll plus tons of wigs and accessories to fit that size (I've seen pictures). I am extremely sad to have missed out on the spaceship drops, but I keep hoping one will appear again eventually.

Last week, Danny did a chaos drop for a single box at 120,000 yen called Chiroptera. I purchased it immediately, though I was aware that since it wasn't "spaceship" that it most likely would not be a 1/2 scale; but at that price point it was sure to be something special or extra that I would want. I purchased first, then I looked up what Chiroptera means, so I then had a pretty good guess as to what I'd be getting. Yesterday I got a shipping update, and my guess was correct:

baw51jdjypyw.png

I should be getting her by Thursday!

Cambiata on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    OMG I know how important that is and how much you wanted it! Congrats!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    OMG I know how important that is and how much you wanted it! Congrats!

Yes, I definitely wanted her! Though I want to see how the gear looks on a semi-real sculpt - what I really wanted was her outfit and gear. A member of the space Marines will soon be Batgirl, I think. Unless I really fall in love with the anime sculpt when I see it up close.

That is way too cool! Your being good paid off (when you could have bought her but didn't).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Congrats, Cambiata! I remember your posts about Batgirl in the past, so when I saw the word "Chiroptera"* I immediately thought "OH SHIT".

* - I know this word from "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest", don't mind me.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Yes, I definitely wanted her! Though I want to see how the gear looks on a semi-real sculpt - what I really wanted was her outfit and gear. A member of the space Marines will soon be Batgirl, I think. Unless I really fall in love with the anime sculpt when I see it up close.

I really enjoy your posts about your Smart Dolls.

When my fiance and I went to Japan together for the first time we went into a store that caught her eye off the street. It had a really amazing fully licensed Sailormoon doll, and I was blown away by both the detail, and the price!

The store was filled with other dolls in the same vein, some themed, some not, all of them very, very expensive.

I always wondered who they were targeting? Why were they so expensive? Was it a big brand or something? Why did I never really see anything like that on the typical Japan import sites? Lots of little questions I had that I never actively went seeking the answers to.

Then I found out this thread existed, and came across your detailed posts. So I went and looked up your Smart Dolls, and the world of BJD's, went and looked at the old pictures and found out that we were in a Volks shop (and how big they are) and finally had some answers!

Reading along about why you collect what you collect, what about them you like, how you fit it all together has been wonderful, and now I know who they are making these excellent dolls for!

So thanks for your posts!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I just always really love coming across people with hyper-specific hobbies.

"Oh, you like to garden? That's nice."
    compared to...
    "Wait, you specifically only like to garden heirloom varieties of inedible carrots?! I want to talk to you for hours and learn everything about your hobby!"

So yeah, collecting mainly one really specific kind of doll I had never heard about outside of this thread? Love it!

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Congrats, Cambiata! I remember your posts about Batgirl in the past, so when I saw the word "Chiroptera"* I immediately thought "OH SHIT".

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest fucking slapped

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Delduwath wrote: »

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest fucking slapped
    It was an incredible show that was like, beyond its time. Also, I learned way more about cryptids than I expected from that show.

To be somewhat on topic, the action figure line for it was pretty good. I had a Cyber Cycle Jonny Quest (Fandom link), which was pretty cool for having an action figure that combined translucent and opaque plastic (although the motorcycle itself was kinda meh, in my opinion), and the Quest Rover with a Race Bannon figure (Fandom link), which was a m a z i n g. I had very few "vehicle"-category toys when I was a kid, because I always felt like they weren't worth it (too expensive for too little gimmicks/play value, plus I felt like characters had more personality than vehicles), but this car was dooope. Tons of cool gimmicks, felt so nice in-hand (a couple of G.I. Joe vehicles I had felt extremely cheap-o), and the Race figure was really well-made (and had a cool backpack with a working winch).

I leave you with the theme, which was likewise incredible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uuJULBkHG4

HexDex wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I really enjoy your posts about your Smart Dolls.

When my fiance and I went to Japan together for the first time we went into a store that caught her eye off the street. It had a really amazing fully licensed Sailormoon doll, and I was blown away by both the detail, and the price!

The store was filled with other dolls in the same vein, some themed, some not, all of them very, very expensive.

I always wondered who they were targeting? Why were they so expensive? Was it a big brand or something? Why did I never really see anything like that on the typical Japan import sites? Lots of little questions I had that I never actively went seeking the answers to.

Then I found out this thread existed, and came across your detailed posts. So I went and looked up your Smart Dolls, and the world of BJD's, went and looked at the old pictures and found out that we were in a Volks shop (and how big they are) and finally had some answers!

Reading along about why you collect what you collect, what about them you like, how you fit it all together has been wonderful, and now I know who they are making these excellent dolls for!

So thanks for your posts!

So fun side note: Danny Choo originally wanted to just design anime dolls for Volks, but they rejected him. So instead he opened his own shop.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    That is pretty darn cool looking. Already has more backers than Reva's lightsaber.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hey @Athenor good news if you pre-ordered the Arcadia YF-19 reissue. The Mr. K (the guy who is Arcadia if I read it right) tweeted that the normal version just shipped. The premium finish version is delayed though. So hopefully we'll get our YF-19 soon. Unless you pre-ordered the PF version.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Hey @Athenor good news if you pre-ordered the Arcadia YF-19 reissue. The Mr. K (the guy who is Arcadia if I read it right) tweeted that the normal version just shipped. The premium finish version is delayed though. So hopefully we'll get our YF-19 soon. Unless you pre-ordered the PF version.

I will check, but yay! More credit card debt!

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Yeah, $300 is pretty rough for what it is, I feel like it should be $250 at max, but I'm a big fan of the Classified line so I'm probably in because I'm a sucker with FOMO

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Koto just released a video previewing the Optimus Prime Bishoujo statue. And showing it has a little extra to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em5jltuUwgk

.... They also previewed that the line is going on, and next up after Megatron is... Bumblebee.

Guess who got delivered today!

6aophdl7b7qi.jpg

Almost as soon as I started putting her outfit on, I figured out why I wouldn't want to transfer the outfit to a sculpt I might like better: It's because she's going to stay in the full kit on display basically forever, so putting a face behind the mask that I happen to like better is just wasting that face. So Barbara Gordon gets to remain anime. You may derive from this that I don't particularly like the face design, and you'd be right; but it works well with the mask, so I'm satisfied.

Also the pants were so tight. I thought I was used to it since I've put on so many of the solar marine uniforms on, and those are tight around the butt. But the space marines are wearing flares, Batgirl's pants are tight all the way down. They're so tight in fact, that I decided against putting socks on her for the boots, because there was no way I was going to be able to tuck the socks into the pants, they'd just bunch up around the ankle and make an unsightly bump under the shoes.

Now Batgirl was originally supposed to be delivered around 1-3pm, but the courier got super delayed. I was staring at DHL's tracking map internally begging the guy to finally come by. He eventually did around 7:40pm, but by that point I was tired from work and took a nap.

While I was waiting endlessly for the courier, though, I made some changes to the space marines. See, one thing I love to do when building RPG characters in games is to give them violet eyes. I know that's not super realistic in real life but whatever, if my space marine/mage/Jedi or whatever is the hero of the galaxy, then goddamn it they can have violet eyes. So I gave Jane Shepard the purple eyes, gave Lucy Shepard the green eyes, and gave Giselle the brown eyes. I also used some heat styling tools to work on the red wig that I had trimmed and I liked it enough that I gave it to Lucy Shepard, so she's more or less default Shep now. Maybe I should give her some freckles. Jane Shepard is the coolest looking one, IMO, and I'm really glad I gave her the purple eyes. Oh and on the wigs, since Lucy has the red one, I decided to give the brown bob to Solana. I hemmed and hawed about Giselle for a while, but ultimately I just think she looks better in long wigs, so she got a long lavender one I've had for a while. I also ended up giving Solana a boob reduction. I just didn't like that her boobs were too big to fit into the uniform.

Current picture of the space marine fire team:

umpp3pma1nx7.jpg

I'm glad I decided to trim the red wig. I like how it turned out, and I'm glad it doesn't look exactly like the bob wigs, too. It also helps to differentiate this wig from Barbara Gordon's, and I like all of my dolls to have different hair styles.

@Betsuni

So while I was stirring awake this early hour, I got a notification...

Guess what's in?!

:D

Yay, YF-19 on its way. And actually the price wasn't as bad as I was fearing in my mind. Goddamn shipping, but that's okay. I kind of expected that.

Yay!!! Batgirl really looks awesome! I also have to put my support for purple eyes. Mainly because my wife likes purple and makes her characters have them if the option is there. I never realized how rare purple options were till then.

@Athenor awesome! I saw the same email this morning and it is sitting at HLJ waiting for me to decide to ship it. Yeah the Yen is really weak right now and tempting me to buy more.

oosik_betsuni.png
    One thing I love about those dolls, is, because the zippers have to actually work, they aren't to scale.

I love those huge ass zippers and I wish a real jacket was made with a zipper that big so I could buy it in real life and have a zipper as big as my hand.

Saw it last night, but didn't mention it. Looks like the complete Moon Studios Radiatron is shipping, or near shipping. This is the giant 3rd party Raiden train gestalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfF0LG2Ih8

I'm glad I stuck to my instincts. While it is huge and imposing, it's VERY cartoon like, and really doesn't appeal to me too much. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it, and the engineering is insane. But even in that video I could see paint chipping off in some places, and I'm extremely worried about the shoulder joints and weight on them.

edited July 2022
    Yeah, I got both the arms in like a week ago, and although I haven't assembled Raiden himself yet, I've transformed all the bots back and forth at least once (I am taking photos as I go, to share with the rest of the class when I'm done).

There isn't any paint chipping on my end that I can see, although I did manage to scrape a bit of paint on the corner of the chest plate on one of them. I'll split blame for that with Moon Studio - I should have been less hasty and more patient with moving the shoulder down into bot mode, but they should have given the shoulder even more clearance than they did.

The shoulder joints definitely seem worrisome from the photos/videos I've seen. I'm curious about how they'll be in-hand. I've seen someone online make a brace out of Lego to fit in the empty space and provide some support, and I'm sure that folks will be making 3D-printed supports left and right, but there's really no reason or justification for why Moon Studio didn't make those joints sturdy and rock-solid.

EDIT: And, speaking personally, I sorta regret getting this guy, because I don't have any personal attachment to the character, and I bought him mainly because he's a cool robot. However, if I had to pick between this one and the Takara one, there is absolutely no question that for me this would be the right choice. I'm sure that the train modes for the Takara ones are perfect, but I'm a dilettante and don't really care about trains, and I prefer the mostly-trim Moon Studio bots to the Takara bots, which are wearing fileted trains on their backs.

Delduwath on
    Popular Japanese YouTube toy reviewer wotafa has an MP Skyfire/Jetfire in-hand (I don't speak or read Japanese, but one of the English comments on the video implies he got a review copy directly from Takara):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Uuf5n3-ww

Looks good to me. I don't like the long face and thin biceps, the area behind the cockpit in jet mode looks to be barely held in place, and I think some of the plastic looks thinner than I'd like, but the articulation looks good, the transformation has some nice touches, and the way the backpack compresses is really cool. Personally, I still like Fans Toys Phoenix more (I blabbed about him here), but the official looks great as well.

Just, you know, I hope the knees and ankles hold better than MP-52 Starscream.

20 years.

For literally 20 years, I've wanted one set of toys in my collection: A Yamato-brand Macross action figure. I especially wanted a YF-19, because I fell in love with Macross Plus before I really knew that Jetfire was a Valkyrie.

But they were Japan only. And expensive - hundreds of dollars in 2000s money. And by the time I had a job with disposable income, they were discontinued - and even more expensive. I never thought I'd find one.

Then, last year, this thread let me know about Arcadia. They bought the molds from Yamato, and are re-releasing them. And they were going to do a YF-19.

I pre-ordered it and never looked back.

... It arrived the day after my 40th birthday. I'm almost afraid to touch it.

Oh, and a train came in too. :grin:

IxvqFjzh.jpg

zAHVlO7h.jpg

ejfagAlh.jpg

zW9lB4Xh.jpg

I should be able to awesome that post twice. One for the toy and the second for you getting something you wanted for a very long time.

oosik_betsuni.png
    You can tell a model that was designed from the ground up to transform, instead of being an afterthought. I hate robots with jets strapped on the back.

rqGRQMyh.jpg

And what I really love is that it's called out as being 1/60 scale, so it is in scale with my Unicorns!

d6utvp6h.jpg

edited July 2022
    Hey @Betsuni - you said you were getting one of these too, right?

Be very careful when transforming it. There's tabs that are not properly marked in the instructions. I have already caused a couple stress points trying to force things without understanding how it all pegs together. I think I can fix that stress, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Notably this joint here:

QrsJyxgl.jpg

This is used in Gerwalk mode. It's tabbed into the underside of the wings, such that you need to pull the thigh section downwards to unlock it. If you force the lower thigh wrong (which twists), the thinner plastic may get stressed. ... Or maybe it was that way out of the factory. I don't know.

Edit: good lord, getting the rear canopy piece open was a challenge and a half! Some parts of this are so incredibly tight, others are very loose. Very inconsistent. >.<

Athenor on
    I envy you so much right now.

I hope I get a chance to order my own YF-19 at some point.

Hey Betsuni - you said you were getting one of these too, right?

Be very careful when transforming it. There's tabs that are not properly marked in the instructions. I have already caused a couple stress points trying to force things without understanding how it all pegs together. I think I can fix that stress, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Notably this joint here:

QrsJyxgl.jpg

This is used in Gerwalk mode. It's tabbed into the underside of the wings, such that you need to pull the thigh section downwards to unlock it. If you force the lower thigh wrong (which twists), the thinner plastic may get stressed. ... Or maybe it was that way out of the factory. I don't know.

Edit: good lord, getting the rear canopy piece open was a challenge and a half! Some parts of this are so incredibly tight, others are very loose. Very inconsistent. >.<

Thanks for the warning. Yeah mine is enroute to me from HLJ.
    HexDex wrote: »
    I envy you so much right now.

I hope I get a chance to order my own YF-19 at some point.

You're in luck. HLJ has one in stock right now.
    https://www.hlj.com/1-60-scale-macross-plus-transformable-yf-19-with-fast-pack-reissue-aca82042-2
    The yen is really weak against the dollar so it is a good time to buy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited July 2022
    During a training break, I decided I might as well get out the train and take a look at it. I mean, the videos don't do it a ton of favors. How bad could it beeeeeeeeeaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

eXGoVFGh.jpg

(the other side is 2/3 covered like this as well.)

Edit: The Bogie/Trucks don't turn. Boo. I am sure they are more secure than the Moon Studios one, but that seems cheap that the train can't trun.

Athenor on
    Aw that sucks that those don't turn. Guess the dreams of having the full train on a round track is out of the question.

I'm going to have to wait till August or something for mine to ship from HasbroPulse.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Good LORD was it a pain in the ass to get all the fast packs attached! It requires very precisely placing the legs, snapping a bunch of things together, and a bit of prayer. I also decided to lower the head crest for a smoother back profile. There's no way to equip all the missiles (despite having a ton of adapters), so I went with as balanced a loadout as I could.

I need to get out one of my action bases and see if it works.

gJHBrDch.jpg

YAVcf4zh.jpg

60zSnf1h.jpg

Ux70wamh.jpg

That looks beautiful.

oosik_betsuni.png