As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Myst guys kind of get too obtuse sometimes. I think they have learned over the years to dial it back a little bit.
    I would love to get through all the Myst games. Myst 4 looked pretty cool.

Uru is kind of an odd duck, but is actually by the original people that made Myst.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uru:_Ages_Beyond_Myst

Myst, Real Myst, Uru, and Myst V are all by Cyan. Myst 3 is by Presto and Myst 4 is by Ubisoft.
    They all did a really good job on the games, which is surprising.

I like the whole Myst series, but 4 is probably my least favorite, partly because it has some VERY obtuse puzzles in it, especially the last one. Even after reading the solution online I still didn't understand it. Myst 3 is good, it sets out for a more modest set of puzzles, so they're relatively simpler, but also easier to figure out. I still need to play through Uru. But if you want to get into Myst, I'd suggest starting from the first one, or one of its remakes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    The Myst guys kind of get too obtuse sometimes. I think they have learned over the years to dial it back a little bit.

Uru is kind of an odd duck, but is actually by the original people that made Myst.

Myst, Real Myst, Uru, and Myst V are all by Cyan. Myst 3 is by Presto and Myst 4 is by Ubisoft.

I like the whole Myst series, but 4 is probably my least favorite, partly because it has some VERY obtuse puzzles in it, especially the last one. Even after reading the solution online I still didn't understand it. Myst 3 is good, it sets out for a more modest set of puzzles, so they're relatively simpler, but also easier to figure out. I still need to play through Uru. But if you want to get into Myst, I'd suggest starting from the first one, or one of its remakes.

I played through most of Real Myst. I just had to do the age with the rocket. I will have to see if I can find my save.
    I may just have to start over. It has been so long ago.
    I have played around the first half or quarter on some of the other games in the series, but never finished them.

Wasn't the rocket age one that they added later on? I remember something about that.

I got all the games on disc and gog from a Kickstarter they did a while back. Also with the Kickstarter, you get a prop Myst link book. It has an led screen in it that plays a video of Myst island.

I wish the book was smaller. Takes up allot of space for a prop. It has a hidden compartment that you can put the game discs in.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Yeah. Real Myst has the bonus Rime Age. So, I may have had 2 ages left.
    https://www.gog.com/game/real_myst_masterpiece_edition

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    The funny thing about the first Myst was that I
    found the code somewhere in the manual or something and just beat it immediately

That was after going back to it a 2nd time when I was a kid.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    The funny thing about the first Myst was that I
    found the code somewhere in the manual or something and just beat it immediately

That was after going back to it a 2nd time when I was a kid.

Yeah. You can do that. It would have been better if solving an age unlocked part of a lock, like beating the bosses in Super Metroid.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I played through most of Real Myst. I just had to do the age with the rocket. I will have to see if I can find my save.
    I have played around the first half or quarter on some of the other games in the series, but never finished them.

Wasn't the rocket age one that they added later on? I remember something about that.

I got all the games on disc and gog from a Kickstarter they did a while back. Also with the Kickstarter, you get a prop Myst link book. It has an led screen in it that plays a video of Myst island.

I wish the book was smaller. Takes up allot of space for a prop. It has a hidden compartment that you can put the game discs in.

That was one Kickstarter that I wished I backed. I have so many great memories of playing Myst as a kid. So much so that I saved up to buy Riven when it came out. Never finished Riven since I got tired of swapping CDs every time I moved between areas.

One of these days I will tackle the entire series.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

That was one Kickstarter that I wished I backed. I have so many great memories of playing Myst as a kid. So much so that I saved up to buy Riven when it came out. Never finished Riven since I got tired of swapping CDs every time I moved between areas.

The thing is, they released Real Myst: Masterpiece Edition later on. So, that version is not on the discs.
    It looks like gog gave it to me for free since I had the original Real Myst.

I guess I could stick it on a cheap usb stick and put it in one of the book compartments.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah. People forget about the disc swapping on old games. That was annoying. Some PC games did not organize the discs right.
    I had this one CDROM drive long ago that struggled to read discs. It was back when faster drives had dodgy technology. I think I downgraded to my old drive. This was like 20 years ago.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What are some really good weird indie gog games? They are having a really good summer sale.
    I need to dig into indie games.

https://www.gog.com/game/botanicula

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Turn my wrong thread comment into a new comment. Color me disappointed that GOG does not have any of the Rainbow Six games outside the original. They are on Steam though. Come on Ubi.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    This looked like a weird Capcom game. I got it on eBay. I may start checking into weird PS2 games.
    https://youtu.be/RwSVf6vSlyE

• Options
    It really makes you wonder if the folks at Capcom are on some serious drugs.

• Options
    I am getting DMC4 ready for the PS3 emulator. I also got the DMC collection on the emulator. I should put the DMC remake on there too.
    I will have to locate it. I think it is in the living room.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    DO YOU HATE SWAPPING DISCS?

DO YOU WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO NEVER SWAP DISCS AGAIN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuhRfvIkn0

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ever hear of this game? Seems interesting. Especially, the Kinect version.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson:_The_Experience

I found one on eBay for $10. There was this other one that looked like it had smeg on it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DO YOU HATE SWAPPING DISCS?

DO YOU WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO NEVER SWAP DISCS AGAIN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuhRfvIkn0

Oh yeah. Myst games are an exercise in patience. They also pulled that rollercoaster shit in Myst 4.
    Definitely use the gog versions now. No CDs.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I also found this gem. I will have to fire up the Kinect and the 360. I need more room.
    Mystery game.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This looked like a weird Capcom game. I got it on eBay. I may start checking into weird PS2 games.
    https://youtu.be/RwSVf6vSlyE

It's impressive that they got George W Bush to record the voiceover for the narrator.
    It really makes you wonder if the folks at Capcom are on some serious drugs.

No, I don't wonder.

• Options
    You can get all of Metal Gear Solid V and Metal Gear Rising for dirt cheap on Steam.

• Options
    My old PSP 1001 battery was bulging. I ordered some batteries from Battery Mart. I will see if they work.
    They seem more reputable than eBay. Probably actual quality batteries.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Ok this new Atari is full of themselves.

They're releasing more old games and charging a crazy amount. $99.99.

Adventure
    https://limitedrungames.com/products/adventure-limited-edition-atari

Missile Command
    https://limitedrungames.com/collections/all-games/products/missile-command-limited-edition-atari

Edit: Sorry to offend those who would buy them. I was adding things up in my head and guess maybe it isn't overpriced? Cartridge and box for $60. Then patch and pin for another $39.99? With today's prices maybe that isn't that far fetched.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Yeah. They are acting like Atari games are collector's items. Not good. I would snatch up that Atari Flashback collection on the Switch before it gets pulled.
    There is also that Activision Anthology released way back on the PC.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

I found one on eBay for $10. There was this other one that looked like it had smeg on it.

I own this on the Kinect. If you like dancing games, especially things like Dance Central, and enjoy MJ’s music, you’ll love this. It is more difficult than you think but rather fun. Plus there are modes where you dance and sing and also multiplayer where it jumps to random People to wider dance or sing to compete or cooperate. I enjoyed it. The section where the choreographers break down the routines was great as well.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

I own this on the Kinect. If you like dancing games, especially things like Dance Central, and enjoy MJ’s music, you’ll love this. It is more difficult than you think but rather fun. Plus there are modes where you dance and sing and also multiplayer where it jumps to random People to wider dance or sing to compete or cooperate. I enjoyed it. The section where the choreographers break down the routines was great as well.

It sounded like they put allot of effort into. I don't know if this was after Jackson died or not.
    What was that Beatles game? Beatles: Rock Band?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    It was after he passed away, but the dancers and choreographers that performed with him and trained with him are who worked with Ubisoft to make this game. Makes it really authentic - at least as much as it can be without MJ himself.

And Beatles: Rock Band is amazing as well. My step father, who before he passed away was a huge Beatles fan, loved how they remastered the songs into stereo. Harmonix got the masters and were able To use them for this game and the quality really shows. Plus you can hear behind the scenes takes from the recording studios of the group. A well-done game.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Can you play Rock Band with a controller or do you need one of those fake guitars?

• Options
    I do have Guitar Hero Aerosmith. You can play that with a controller. I got that bundled with a PS2 on eBay.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Found Beatles: Rock Band brand new on eBay for $15. Must have had a high print run.

I guess the game has a Solo Tour mode. It seems unclear on the web.

Kinda lame if it doesn't.

I wonder if they have a compact guitar. That was why I was hoping you could play it on a controller like Guitar Hero.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    You can still buy it on Best Buy. They made way too many copies.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-beatles-rock-band-playstation-3/9315207.p?skuId=9315207

• Options
    Well, Rock Band lets you Use any guitar hero guitar, Outside of the one that didn’t have the five fret buttons and the strum bar. So if you have a guitar hero guitar, that would work. Otherwise, a controller doesn’t work for Rock Band Outside of when you use a microphone to play the singing role.

• Options
    Yeah. I was looking for a cheap guitar controller on eBay. I wish they made a small one.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Ah, it looks like you can use regular controllers in place of Guitar Hero controllers in RPCS3.
    I will probably play it that way.
    Edit: That may be hard. You have to hold up to three buttons at once. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith lets you use a PS3 controller, so there is a way to do this.

Here is how it is setup.
    https://youtu.be/qpAIqTUXTl0

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Apparently, the Saturn version of SotN has a bunch of extra stuff.
    https://youtu.be/iUzvTDJ68H0

• Options
    It seems like the PSP version of SotN has a filter on it. I wonder if that can be switched off.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It seems like the PSP version of SotN has a filter on it. I wonder if that can be switched off.

Its bad scaling and no, not without hacks.

Increasing the resolution scale in PPSSPP generally works well enough.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    This talks about a hack that can be done on the NEO GEO Mini.
    https://youtu.be/cX8IW1bH5rM

The HDMI output has a filter on it, but it is not that bad. People blow it out of proportion. I wonder if the hack lets you switch it off.
    I think they softened the pixels to make it look more like CRT output. People forget the pixels are intended to be a little blurry.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    This has zero reviews. I looks like a good Myst-like game. Seems full 3D.
    https://www.gog.com/game/mysterious_puzzles_collection_nemezis_schizm_reah

• Options

Its bad scaling and no, not without hacks.

Increasing the resolution scale in PPSSPP generally works well enough.

They did blur the shit out of it.

• Options
    I am surprised the MJ lawyers did not make her take this down. I guess they see it as free advertising.
    https://youtu.be/U3-xc2zpN8s