As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Coliseum is better and you can easily power level to 99 for it. Equip/make some XP up chipsets. Go to the Amusement Park entrance and use a charged Pod attack (sword is best) to wake up the statue. Hack it to kill it once it fights back, repeat until you're 99. Then you can challenge every Coliseum mission easily.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And if you want, you can maintain a save from before you did the level grind if you want to keep a file where the final story bosses aren't a complete joke. That's what I felt like doing, anyway.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    What's to say hundreds if not thousands of other people also found it but didn't post it to social media because it's just a hidden area? It is a very cool looking hidden area though.

Edit: Pardon the pessimism. Reading through the Reddit thread about it the whole thing seems very fishy and/or person who made the video had access to a very early version of the game not intended for retail.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    What's to say hundreds if not thousands of other people also found it but didn't post it to social media because it's just a hidden area? It is a very cool looking hidden area though.

Edit: Pardon the pessimism. Reading through the Reddit thread about it the whole thing seems very fishy and/or person who made the video had access to a very early version of the game not intended for retail.

Given that speedrunners have long since broken the game in half with OoB and such, I can't imagine any unknown hidden areas.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I never thought I'd see the day.

Grimoire Nier is being localized.

jjwp6oz86bxi.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD
    I NEED IT

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Re: This: additional video of the rest of the secret area from the person who claims to have found this:

I agree this seems fishy as fuuuuuck but it is really cool work if it's a hoax
    The church seems to be some sort of Nier 1 reference, with the Shade-looking kneeling figure and the human figure with the Lunar Tear at her breast, and possibly Grimoire Weiss floating out of view from the top balcony after you walk in:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yoko taro responded to somebody asking about it by directing them to his twitter profile

yoko taro's twitter profile: don't ask me shit

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    yoko taro responded to somebody asking about it by directing them to his twitter profile

Problem is he'd do that whether it was real or not wouldn't he?

Ultimately, yes, I could see it being something snuck into a later version. But I still don't buy it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Ultimately, yes, I could see it being something snuck into a later version. But I still don't buy it.
    oh yeah it doesn't mean anything either way, but i appreciate how perfectly unhelpful it is

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I mean.

He's straight up saying he's not allowed to be helpful.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    if this is someone's way of stealth announcing they made an automata level editor or got their hands on leaked dev tools or something that'd be pretty cool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Maybe it's Taro himself fucking with people

that's what I'd like to believe at least

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    if this is someone's way of stealth announcing they made an automata level editor or got their hands on leaked dev tools or something that'd be pretty cool
    this is either an elaborate hoax, a real, ridiculously obscure easter egg, or some kind of weird marketing stunt and whichever one it is, it's kind of great

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

the poster claims he's on an unpatched version on ps4, but others who have gotten to that part of the game on the unpatched version and camera glitched through that wall have not found the room the poster showed. so I'm leaning towards elaborate fake or marketing stunt

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

the poster claims he's on an unpatched version on ps4, but others who have gotten to that part of the game on the unpatched version and camera glitched through that wall have not found the room the poster showed. so I'm leaning towards elaborate fake or marketing stunt
    there's absolutely no way the OP is on the up and up, so i'm pretty much 50/50 on mod/marketing stunt

i don't think nier automata got a full next gen compatibility patch, so i wonder if they got budget thrown at them to make one alongside the switch port and decided to have some fun with it

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    More very suspicious video from the mysterious account, with new stuff shown:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/wa11po/i_think_my_game_has_a_glitch_since_i_keep_going/

No way this shit isnt a arg

Why on EARTH

would you pick option 1 3 times in a god damn row

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    this feels a little too on the nose now, somebody's gotta be fucking around with a devkit

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd put money on this being an officially-endorsed ARG, to drum up excitement (which its done in spades) for either for a new Nier game announcement, or for something related to the Nier anime project.
    • Every video ends with a clear cliffhanger for the next step to take.
    • The person's posting style is so on the nose it has to be a bit, though they may be ESL.
    • Dataminers confirmed not seeing this content, even in pre-patch versions.
    • Modders haven't achieved anywhere near this level of engine or level manipulation.

There's one last thing that makes me fairly convinced this is official - Nier Replicant made a fair few tweaks in its remake to align it better with the Automata universe, with a clear direction towards making a more explicit shared universe for the franchise. The content in these video drops fits that too perfectly to ignore, with the characters in the church, Weiss flying off, etc. I wouldn't expect modders, nor an outright faker, to fit that narrative direction so deliberately.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah this is an arg, pretty sure at this point

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    As much as I enjoy Nier Automata--it's my favorite Platinum game by a large margin, flaws and all--I'm increasingly on the side of this being a (successful) guerilla marketing campaign of some kind, including an ARPG (though there are other possibilities), among a fanbase that is particularly thirsty for this sort of thing. Previously I was in the mindset of "Well, this is just the first person to discover this secret and make a point of sharing it," but having actually watched the content provided, and considering the sort of hype-building shenanigans from Taro and the other folks at Platinum, that's a lot less convincing.

The fact that this game has been available as a PC release since early 2017 (a decidedly mediocre port, but that's not the point) and that somehow this room was never "datamined" from either it, or the PS4 release (as though PS4 games are never completely dismantled at the whims of curious fans in the community), or some nonsense about this particular game being exceptional "proof" against the usual content extraction techniques. Plenty of games--including this one--are for practical purposes useless to mod not just from a lack of a developer-provided toolset (the Bethesda strategy), but a lack of available labor combined with a rigidly programmed game system that rejects any sort of changes like this (Hitman has been this way for two decades now, across multiple game engines). Being immune to datamining is something completely different.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    While that whole ARG thing is cool

all it does is make want to replay Automata. Which I shouldn't, because I still have Replicant unplayed in my library -.-

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    the account has mostly dropped the pretense of being a confused player and is just dropping teaser images of drakengard 3 final boss shit and ARG clues now lol

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    This is the best and craziest marking for a new game ever?

Edit: Hahahahahaah oh fuck. This shit is directly connecting to the Drakenguard 3 Prelude Novella. The final passages in that. The entire passage is about a church to the intoners but man, this line sticks out with what's going on right now.

"Someone found the room that no one was supposed to know about. I had undone the spell you put on the door when I wrecked it. And a broken door that doesn't open is hard for anyone to resist. A door like that had to be smashed down just so they could see what's inside."

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    the account's bio is now linking to a twitch channel and saying 4 AM eastern time, presumably there will be an announcement or we'll get rickrolled or something

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Drakengard games with a playable framerate, please.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    If this is just a modder showing off and not marketing ploy leading to a game announcement I am going to be so annoyed.

Hopping for a Drakengard 4 or Nier 3, but I'll accept a Drakengard 3 or 1 remake or something at this point.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I would be far more annoyed if this is just marketing for something rather unexciting like the switch version of automata lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    If this is just a modder showing off and not marketing ploy leading to a game announcement I am going to be so annoyed.

Hopping for a Drakengard 4 or Nier 3, but I'll accept a Drakengard 3 or 1 remake or something at this point.

Modding of this kind in Nier: Automata is non-existent, so it's equally if not more amazing if it's not dev supported.

If he releases the tools it's beyond exciting.

It's basically impossible for the answer here to not be good. Dev, modder, recreated the entirety of Automata in another game, whatever. In all cases, it's fantastic.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited July 2022
    RIP.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    That's incredible.

• Options
    I am annoyed, disappointed, and yet.... impressed.

Also Yoko Taro seeing this entire thing happening through twitter and instead of posting that it ain't them, just sitting back, eating popcorn, and watching what enfolds.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    They did apologise since they didn't expect it to blow up this big. It was just meant to be a cool thing. Remember the community was basically dead before this, so I doubt they expected the full force of the internet to laser eye them and then blow up into its own overhyped expectations.

For me, this felt, right from the second video, like someone creating it as they went along.

Because otherwise the first video wouldn't have stopped. The drip feeding indicated something was being created, over time.

Interestingly the last thing they made was put together in 45 minutes if the modder is to be believed. That's some sick mod tools!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    While it's disappointing it's not game related, I'll tip my hat to them for crafting a brilliant ARG. Got people very invested, and they absolutely nailed the way the official PR likes to deal with the franchise too. Fair play to them.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    This was the best possible outcome, bravo. Not disappointed at all. They got me good and it was a fun journey.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif