As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh yeah for sure. I don’t think I’ve gone a month without getting sick since we started daycare. Neither has the kid. This last respiratory infection hospitalized them twice this past week.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I let her feed herself:

jsp9cig7o3n0.jpeg

Whoops!

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dinner, and then bath time. :D

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    The wife and I have been sick every single day since our kid started daycare, and it's been like 2 and a half weeks. Somehow he has no symptoms and no fever, while mom and dad are coughing up lung butter nonstop and generally feel like hell. I've taken 3 different COVID tests and they've all been negative, at least. I really hope this ends soon, but I assume our little one is just going to keep bringing home new and fun germs from petri dish academy.
    So, fun news, that phase lasts a year give or take. Enjoy playing, “Allergies, flu, or COVID?” every two weeks for the foreseeable future.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Have I ever mentioned my wife loves Greek and Roman mythology?

Have I ever mentioned that I love metal?

So anyway my daughter now refers to heavy music as "hecatoncheires music", which, let's face it, is pretty effin' metal.

She also festooned a living room chair with stainless steel chopsticks like some kind of Iron Throne and declared its name to be Death Ride.

R-dem on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yep, that's parenthood in a nutshell. COVID just cranked it up to 11.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Your daughter?

Pretty metal. \m/

And then they bickered over who gets to take which garbage/recycling/compost bin to the curb...

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    That's pretty normal I think?
    dennis wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yep, that's parenthood in a nutshell. COVID just cranked it up to 11.

We just started rapid testing at least one of us every cold. It sucks.

Just got back from dropping off my son for overnight camp. He won't be back until Friday. I got back and my daughter has already went to Grandmas for the night. So... it's just us. It's obvious what we'll be doing next, if you know what I mean.

I mean nothing. Absolutely, positively, gloriously, nothing.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My wife and I spend like 3 hours just absorbing the quiet.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Annnnnd now our 3 month old has conjunctivitis and tons of snot and is coughing. I'm not sure what he hates more, the eye drops or the snot sucker. Poor kid.

Meanwhile mom and dad are still coughing up lung butter and our heads feel like they are in a vice.

People told me having kids sucks, but goddamn.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We're watching the neighbor's two youngest kids (5 & 7) while they're away tonight. So them along with our kid.

Pray for us.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    For those more experienced, how much save vs. sickness do dogs provide?

I’ve got one that insists on licking my girl directly on/in the mouth whenever possible. I figure that’s gotta do something but I know kids are absolutely disgusting so I don’t know how much protection she’s going to get.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I’ve got one that insists on licking my girl directly on/in the mouth whenever possible. I figure that’s gotta do something but I know kids are absolutely disgusting so I don’t know how much protection she’s going to get.

Pets are good for minimizing allergies, assuming you don't have them already. Sadly they don't do much to stop you catching school bugs.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln

Just don't let them lick wounds. Bad things can happen, even if rarely.

Our pup hasn't done anything more disgusting than what the kid already does.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Annnnnd now our 3 month old has conjunctivitis and tons of snot and is coughing. I'm not sure what he hates more, the eye drops or the snot sucker. Poor kid.

Meanwhile mom and dad are still coughing up lung butter and our heads feel like they are in a vice.

This is like, the one time that this statement is true but, It does get better.

It took us about a year or so to go through the constant rotation of sick, better, sick again.

But after that year, it's been heaps better.

You can do this.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

This is like, the one time that this statement is true but, It does get better.

It took us about a year or so to go through the constant rotation of sick, better, sick again.

But after that year, it's been heaps better.

You can do this.

I just want to give a performance shout out to our goblin boy. We were off three days last week, and he was sick for two of them, so we didn’t get to do any of the things we had planned. But he was better on Friday! Then it was a long weekend and he was fine.
    He goes back to daycare today, we took the day off to recharge, and I can hear him coughing through the wall as I type this.

It’ll get better sounds good!

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Children are earthly vessels of Nurgle. And the worst thing is they do stuff that should be getting them sick all the time and nothing, and then they get sick from nothing and spread it to everyone in sight.

"What the hell stop licking shopping carts." (Kid is fine)
    "Did you seriously just eat that? That was raw!" (Kid is fine)
    "Don't drink that it's obviously spoiled." (Kid is fine)
    "Sure buddy let me fill your kiddie pool and you can play for a while." (Kid is now sick and suddenly loves hugging every person he sees)

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    If you're sending them to daycare illnesses will eventually settle down and then your kid moves up to the next age classroom and it's a whole new petri dish! Luckily it'll be a much shorter cycle of "sick, healthy, sick, healthy" before your kiddo (and you) catch all the new and exciting viruses :P

edited July 2022
    My wife has been away for six days and Jesus Christ how do single parents survive?!? My 2.5 year old daughter can charitably be described as attached to me during normal times. Now I can’t even go to the bathroom without her having a total meltdown. She’s currently losing it while sitting with her grandparents, who she loves, because I’m out of sight.

Gork on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    My wife has been away for six days and Jesus Christ how do single parents survive?!? My 2.5 year old daughter can charitably be described as attached to me during normal times. Now I can’t even go to the bathroom without her having a total meltdown. She’s currently losing it while sitting with her grandparents, who she loves, because I’m out of sight.

I decided a long time ago that if the kids want to come into the bathroom then I just let them. Which was pretty much all the time between 1 and 4.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I decided a long time ago that if the kids want to come into the bathroom then I just let them. Which was pretty much all the time between 1 and 4.

Yeah, it's tough with a tiny bathroom having the kid and one of the dogs in there with me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Oh I gave up on peeing by myself. I just wanted to poop on my own and we’re at my parents’ so I figured I could get away with it.

It’s more commentary on how impossible being a single parent seems after doing everything for a week. And venting.

Mostly venting. I’m fucking exhausted even though I got eight hours of sleep.

edited July 2022
    Oh and if you have hobbies it's best to give a sacrifice to the Toddler Gods

I play Warhammer so I let my daughter pick out a couple of Necrons and gave her some old paints and shot brushes just so I could get any painting done because God forbid you do anything that doesn't involve the progeny.

R-dem on
    I’ve been able to maintain my powerlifting hobby, but only because I built a gym in the house. I’m dreading when she drops naps because that is the end of getting it in on the weekends outside of after she goes to sleep.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I’ve been able to maintain my powerlifting hobby, but only because I built a gym in the house. I’m dreading when she drops naps because that is the end of getting it in on the weekends outside of after she goes to sleep.

my kid will be 4 in August, the naps are going to be gone soon but I'm hoping it'll balance out with her being a bit more mature and not needing the same level of constant attention / my wife and I will start splitting up time to give the other some alone time

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular

You'd have to set something up to keep her away from dropping weights, but maybe she'd do it with you? When my wife works out our two year old does her own version, squats and up/down dog and stuff. She gets bored before the workout is over, but I have a little workbench in the garage for her to play on. Maybe it'd be the time an iPad is worth it. Good luck with the rest of your solo duty!

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    we fucked up bad with screen time, covid was just starting and even doing curated media she's a zombie on it and can't be without it, and we never set limits

pad needs to be thrown into the volcano

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    When our eldest stopped napping we still kept to a an hour long "quiet time" period in their room. Was really helpful for keeping everyone's sanity

we fucked up bad with screen time, covid was just starting and even doing curated media she's a zombie on it and can't be without it, and we never set limits

Maybe it's time for some creative facts? Maybe the pad "breaks"? Or would she just demand your phones?

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    When our eldest stopped napping we still kept to a an hour long "quiet time" period in their room. Was really helpful for keeping everyone's sanity

Yup. We do 1 hour breaktime on weekend afternoons where everyone can do what they want. Wife usually reads while 3-year old watches Paw Patrol and I noodle on the guitar. Then everyone is recharged and can stand each other again for the rest of the day.

I can highly recommend this routine.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Ellie has gotten mostly bored of her videos.

She will now, mostly, voluntarily turn them off and go play because she's seen them all.

There are still days when it's a fight for the screens to go off, but once they are, she's fine playing on her own.

Other than weekends, she gets maybe an hour or two a day? We've just reset get limit that it's either videos before school or videos after school.

Now there have been days where it's been a huge fight after we take the videos away on usually because she's started copying the attitude from a character or two. But after she stops yelling, we talk about why, she cries, and then she goes and plays.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah unfortunately since I WFH and they are home from summer break my kids are on their screens a whole lot. Which I don't really like. I've been trying to get them to read in short periods during the day but I'm in so many meetings a day that I can't actively parent.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm leaning more towards what Dennis is saying.

She hangs out with a couple kids out of school, but the one kid she really considered to be her best friend got held back a year.

Add onto that my mom dying in January and I think I've got a bigger issue with figuring out what "lonely" means to her and go from there.

She's 6.5.

In other news, she's gone up several reading levels in the last week or two, and is starting to figure out multiplication. Advising me yesterday that "10*10=100". Which I know they're not up to in school yet.

So maybe it's all of the above plus a brain leap.

With all three of our kids, but especially with blameless cleric, every notable mental leap came with a sort of existential / emotional fragility that very often showed up in wild ways. Screaming fits, sudden, inexplicable deep insecurity, misbehavior, anger, intentional disobedience... by the time we had our third, we'd go looking for what new thing about the universe they'd internalized when random shifts in behavior showed up. The 5yr old is refusing all food except yogurt and throwing tantrums every time we go outside? Turns out his friend broke his arm and he realized that People Can Get Hurt Outside His View, And He Can't Stop Us From Going To the Store.

This sort of thing happened with learning too - multiplication as a concept and also bedtime is now cancelled, the new routine is scream for 2 hours.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm leaning more towards what Dennis is saying.

She hangs out with a couple kids out of school, but the one kid she really considered to be her best friend got held back a year.

Add onto that my mom dying in January and I think I've got a bigger issue with figuring out what "lonely" means to her and go from there.

She's 6.5.

In other news, she's gone up several reading levels in the last week or two, and is starting to figure out multiplication. Advising me yesterday that "10*10=100". Which I know they're not up to in school yet.

So maybe it's all of the above plus a brain leap.

With all three of our kids, but especially with blameless cleric, every notable mental leap came with a sort of existential / emotional fragility that very often showed up in wild ways. Screaming fits, sudden, inexplicable deep insecurity, misbehavior, anger, intentional disobedience... by the time we had our third, we'd go looking for what new thing about the universe they'd internalized when random shifts in behavior showed up. The 5yr old is refusing all food except yogurt and throwing tantrums every time we go outside? Turns out his friend broke his arm and he realized that People Can Get Hurt Outside His View, And He Can't Stop Us From Going To the Store.

This sort of thing happened with learning too - multiplication as a concept and also bedtime is now cancelled, the new routine is scream for 2 hours.

I think this happens up and down the age range. There's a good baby book called The Wonder Weeks that explores this pattern in babies and how they often map to developmental milestones.

edited July 2022
    Man, I feel for you guys with the screen problems. I don't fault you at all, because parenting often sucks. But I've had to fight my wife a bit on this, even though technically we are both in agreement. I think she would give them a lot more screen time if I wasn't around to try to crack the whip. Even though she knows better, she will almost always sacrifice the long term for the short term when it comes to trying to get some peace and quiet.

dennis on
    Our infant has his first cold and has gone from drinking 4oz each feeding to maybe 1.5oz. Starting to get worried he's not going to get enough.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg