As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    they always get great people to do this stuff. when we went to disneyland/california adventure several years ago they had just added the marvel characters. The actress for Gamora was fantastic. We saw her walking somewhere and shouted "Gamora you're the best" and without missing a beat she shouted back "I know." I enjoyed those interactions more than anything else while we were there.

I've done some mascot work (too old and ugly for face characters) and it can be challenging. You have to have really good improv skills because you just dont know what people are going to come at you with. Some set routines/comebacks but you have to adjust instantly. But damn it is super rewarding to give people that experience, to see people walk away from you smiling. Addictive even. I've been the Grinch a few times which is VERY fun because you can just mess with people to your heart's content and it's part of the character. But this was the best (taken before roaring lessons, but after removing character gloves, discovered earlier I couldn't actually turn pages with them on lol):
    kn39tgofoepr.jpg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Frankly, time travel stories that end with everything returning to the status quo with no-one the wiser are the worst, most pointless stories. It was very gutsy to have the blip be something that went on for five years and people remember.

Well, this sort of happened in the comic version. The status quo was restored, but some people remembered.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Dr Strange MoM was super dark, like way more than i was expecting and i knew it was a sam raimi movie. If anyone hasn't seen it yet they should have the heads up. After walking out of the theater i could easily see that getting an R rating.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Really, Marvel material is not really for kids. More like teenagers.

There is kind of this weird tightrope Marvel walks. There are mature themes, yet they try to appeal to kids.

Wanda and Doctor Strange really fall in the mature bucket. Darker stuff.

Old Marvel cartoons are kind of censored to not include the darker stuff from the comics.

edited June 2022
    I actually remember being disturbed by Swamp Thing, Iron Fist, and ROM when I was a kid.
    They had some pretty messed up stuff happen in those comics.

Edit: Swamp Thing was D.C., still you get the idea.

Krathoon on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did you guys really need to drop a major spoiler for MoM in this thread when it specifically says take that talk elsewhere? We're still in a pandemic and many people are still of the mind to not risk it for a movie. :(

But I guess my fate it to just have every movie spoiled for me between here, youtube and twitter because I don't want to catch COVID. :cry:

Ah. I did not see that.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It was an accident for sure, I think we've been pretty good on keeping things in the right spot. Sorry you got spoiled tho, that's really shitty :(

I was gonna say it'll flip to open spoilers for those movies once Strange 2 has been on streaming and such for a few days, but try to pay attention until then

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Frankly, time travel stories that end with everything returning to the status quo with no-one the wiser are the worst, most pointless stories. It was very gutsy to have the blip be something that went on for five years and people remember.

Tbh I thought endgame kinda undermined the story they were telling in infinity (and even at the start of endgame); there’s a bad case of tonal whiplash between murdering thanos and “time heist!”

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The funny part is that she is a villain now and she is hanging out on the Avenger's campus.

Can't wait to see how people (especially kids, because people aren't going to be expecting MoM to be what it is) react to that now.

When I saw MoM there was a couple and their kid wasn’t even 10.

Kinda felt bad for them. There were some very not kid friendly parts.

Fuck that, I watched temple of doom at 7. makes em stronger

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I actually remember being disturbed by Swamp Thing, Iron Fist, and ROM when I was a kid.

You're probably thinking Man-Thing, which had some really messed up shit in it. Like, the first dozen or so issues may well have been a pre-code horror comic. Hell, they may be but I can't be arsed to double-check.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Gyral wrote: »

You're probably thinking Man-Thing, which had some really messed up shit in it. Like, the first dozen or so issues may well have been a pre-code horror comic. Hell, they may be but I can't be arsed to double-check.

Even just Man-Thing's design kind of creeped me out. Swamp Thing is still mostly a guy but Man, with his weird head tentacles and no mouth and perfectly round red eyes and he just *looks* like he's slimy ugh wtf

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Morbius memes are all over the place now - "it's Morbin time" and such. Sony saw them and figured hey, maybe this means people will willingly want to watch Morbius now! So they re-released the movie to 1,000 screens.

Where it made $85,000 on Friday.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Holy shit I thought that was a joke

edited June 2022
    Stop trying to make Morb happen

McRhyno on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Morbius memes are all over the place now - "it's Morbin time" and such. Sony saw them and figured hey, maybe this means people will willingly want to watch Morbius now! So they re-released the movie to 1,000 screens.

Where it made $85,000 on Friday.

I hate the fact that I kind of want to see it now, just to sit in an empty theater eating popcorn.
    What's wrong with my brain?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The funniest part is that they have social media people aware that they’re trending, but not aware they’re being made fun of

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The funniest part is that they have social media people aware that they’re trending, but not aware they’re being made fun of

I can fully believe the social media people are entirely aware that it's a joke, but they made the mistake of saying to a higher-up that their social media presence is up by XX% and that is literally all the manager heard, completely blocking out the following part that said "because the movie is so bad everybody is ridiculing it".

Oh shit, here come the Thunderbolts (RIP WH)

https://www.avclub.com/jake-schreier-thunderbolts-marvel-1849043037

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Curious if they'll Red Hulk him to keep the character around while partially masking a recast.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Or just recast him because he's a relatively minor character and noone cares?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think you can get away with a recast if a character shows up once. After 14 years and 5 appearances? Naaah.

Oh brilliant
    Feige and co. will probably bring in Talbot just to punt agents of shield a little further

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Ross was also only in 1 incarnation of Thunderbolts, which was a dozen issues out of about 200+ Thunderbolt comics in total, I think? They can easily do a version without him.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I don't think they need Gen Ross. It's not like Marvel has a shortage of shitty government stooges they could pull in.

Hell, see if Martin freeman wants to play Everitt Ross again?

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Freeman's in the next Black Panther movie, so he's likely under contract for a couple of movies.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The more likely scenario for the MCU is the character has passed away and this team is named in honor of him.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

I can fully believe the social media people are entirely aware that it's a joke, but they made the mistake of saying to a higher-up that their social media presence is up by XX% and that is literally all the manager heard, completely blocking out the following part that said "because the movie is so bad everybody is ridiculing it".

I picked up a saying in my retail days: the world looks a lot different from behind a clipboard. Clipboard guys see only numbers, never context. A store that usually sells 10 generators a week sells 35 in one day, clipboard guys send an auxiliary truck with a two week supply at 35 a day, they don't check to see that there was a power outage and it was long over before the truck arrived.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Thor Love and Thunder reviews are coming in and so far it's sitting at 70% on the tomatometer. It would seem initial impressions have it better than Thor 1 and 2 but not as good as Ragnarok. Most importantly it sounds like a fun time. Looking forward to seeing it, though I don't know if I'm ready to brave the disease ridden masses to see it in a theater quite yet.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The worst I've seen is that
    Gorr
    is underutilized, which fuck that. If you're going to use
    Gorr
    do it right.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The reviews I've seen basically say that this movie is funnier than Ragnarok, almost to the detriment of the more serious moments. So if you liked the comedy of Ragnarok this will be for you, if you disliked it this will ... Not be.
    The worst I've seen is that
    Gorr
    is underutilized, which fuck that. If you're going to use
    Gorr
    do it right.

A couple people mentioned this as a highlight actually, because the character has a certain presence that works better when used how they do in the film

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also this movie is apparently more bananas than Ragnarok, which was already pretty bananas.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also this movie is apparently more bananas than Ragnarok, which was already pretty bananas.

I am here for this kind of bullshit.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The only thing that gives me pause really is the return of Natalie Portman because, frankly, her MCU stuff hasn't been her best work. Serviceable, sure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Gorr is a pretty dark/depressing character so they're probably better off under-utilizing him if anything

NREqxl5.jpg
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gorr is a pretty dark/depressing character so they're probably better off under-utilizing him if anything

And his main character trait is that he’s unfathomably vicious and hateful. Beyond his backstory there’s not a whole lot to work with.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Thor Love and Thunder reviews are coming in and so far it's sitting at 70% on the tomatometer. It would seem initial impressions have it better than Thor 1 and 2 but not as good as Ragnarok. Most importantly it sounds like a fun time. Looking forward to seeing it, though I don't know if I'm ready to brave the disease ridden masses to see it in a theater quite yet.

I'm patiently waiting for the chuds to dump on this movie for its positive representation. Like how can a girl be the Mighty Thor? Thor is a MAN! Or, why'd they shove Valkyrie's alternative lifestyle our face like that? Get woke, go broke. Et cetera.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm mostly annoyed with Love and Thunder because I feel like there's been 30 trailers that they've released. Yes, I get it, this is a tentpole movie that you want to hype but at this point you have no chill and I want SOME things in the movie to be a surprise.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Or if you just want to watch it again. And again.
    The only thing that gives me pause really is the return of Natalie Portman because, frankly, her MCU stuff hasn't been her best work. Serviceable, sure.

Thor didn't give her much to work with, and Dark World even less so. Give her the redemption she deserves.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Or if you just want to watch it again. And again.

Thor didn't give her much to work with, and Dark World even less so. Give her the redemption she deserves.

She's an award winning actress who was stuck as the role of love interest, which didn't help that it got largely overshadowed by Kat Dennings as the comedic relief. Move her to near/at top billing and give her some good lines and she'll do good things. The biggest "problem" will largely be she'll probably still largely play the straight man role, especially now with funny Thor out and about.

This discussion has been closed.