As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The few moments in Thor 1 and 2 where she was given stuff to work with she was pretty good, I thought

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The expression on Jane's face after she's gone through the Bifrost, having had her life's work proved right in front of her eyes...I'm pretty sure Portman put more into that scene than the entirety of the Star Wars prequels.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Reviews are out and seem mixed. Apparently it's fun enough, but a bit scattered

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Don't care, want to see them make fun of Zeus

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

If their Zeus is as dense as he seems in the trailers, my only question would be, how stupid is their Hercules?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

If their Zeus is as dense as he seems in the trailers, my only question would be, how stupid is their Hercules?

The irony is that thor in the movies is more in line with hercules from the comics.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've seen mention of a particular comic plot point in some reviews that has me thinking a very divisive thing is gonna be happening here.
    multiple mentions of Jane's illness and that using the power of Thor is slowly killing her.

So... yeah she's definitely gonna die in this one. Mighty Thor is not coming in as a legacy replacement for Odinson, she's a one off hero.

Which makes sense, although all indications are this was to be Hemsworth's last bow and they were looking to introduce a new Thor, I was surprised Portman came back at all, and like Bale I assumed she would be difficult to convince to sign up for multiple movies.

But.

C'mon Marvel.

After Black Widow and Gamora? Feels particularly on the nose to introduce a cool new hero that could definitely carry a few movies and ice her on the spot...

Oh brilliant
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    But
    In the comics the cancer doesn’t kill Jane. She gets treatment and goes on to become Valkyrie and has a super cool weapon and Mr. Horse

Marathon on
    Lol that definitely happened after I stopped reading
    last I saw, she transformed one last time as Mighty Thor, fought and died, then Odinson cancelled her ride to Valhalla and she became a regular human again, then she handed Mjolnir back to Odinson and he was worthy again for some reason? Her Mighty Thor persona was p.definitively dead, while Jane had to go back on chemo.

I dunno. Them establishing the cost of her being Thor in her this movie, along with the meta requirements of wrangling these actors, I have a bad feeling. I don't think she gonna make it.

Oh brilliant
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Or if you just want to watch it again. And again.
    The only thing that gives me pause really is the return of Natalie Portman because, frankly, her MCU stuff hasn't been her best work. Serviceable, sure.

Thor didn't give her much to work with, and Dark World even less so. Give her the redemption she deserves.

She's an award winning actress who was stuck as the role of love interest, which didn't help that it got largely overshadowed by Kat Dennings as the comedic relief. Move her to near/at top billing and give her some good lines and she'll do good things. The biggest "problem" will largely be she'll probably still largely play the straight man role, especially now with funny Thor out and about.

Nothing against Portman, but I think we can all agree that Dennings as Lady Thor would have been incredible.

wVEsyIc.png
    Lol that definitely happened after I stopped reading
    last I saw, she transformed one last time as Mighty Thor, fought and died, then Odinson cancelled her ride to Valhalla and she became a regular human again, then she handed Mjolnir back to Odinson and he was worthy again for some reason? Her Mighty Thor persona was p.definitively dead, while Jane had to go back on chemo.

I dunno. Them establishing the cost of her being Thor in her this movie, along with the meta requirements of wrangling these actors, I have a bad feeling. I don't think she gonna make it.
    The whole unworthy thing was a stupid plot point in the first place since it effectively ruined the whole deal with the hammer and it's protection magics; Like nominally the hammer can only be picked up by either someone of strong character (Cap) or someone who is completely innocent (IE the Amazing Andy).

Original sin Postulated instead that it's instead your understanding of self... but following that logic a hell of a lot people who aren't introspective at all should be swinging that thing around all over the place.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The only thing that gives me pause really is the return of Natalie Portman because, frankly, her MCU stuff hasn't been her best work. Serviceable, sure.

Thor didn't give her much to work with, and Dark World even less so. Give her the redemption she deserves.

She's an award winning actress who was stuck as the role of love interest, which didn't help that it got largely overshadowed by Kat Dennings as the comedic relief. Move her to near/at top billing and give her some good lines and she'll do good things. The biggest "problem" will largely be she'll probably still largely play the straight man role, especially now with funny Thor out and about.

Nothing against Portman, but I think we can all agree that Dennings as Lady Thor would have been incredible.

Natalie portman's inclusion in this is fucking baffling to me; Like she phoned it in in the first two films and was pretty much forgotten after that by everyone in the writing department so why... this.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I've seen mention of a particular comic plot point in some reviews that has me thinking a very divisive thing is gonna be happening here.
    multiple mentions of Jane's illness and that using the power of Thor is slowly killing her.

So... yeah she's definitely gonna die in this one. Mighty Thor is not coming in as a legacy replacement for Odinson, she's a one off hero.

Which makes sense, although all indications are this was to be Hemsworth's last bow and they were looking to introduce a new Thor, I was surprised Portman came back at all, and like Bale I assumed she would be difficult to convince to sign up for multiple movies.

But.

C'mon Marvel.

After Black Widow and Gamora? Feels particularly on the nose to introduce a cool new hero that could definitely carry a few movies and ice her on the spot...

I think Hemsworth is on record as of like last week saying he'll play Thor as long as Marvel will have him.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Natalie portman's inclusion in this is fucking baffling to me; Like she phoned it in in the first two films and was pretty much forgotten after that by everyone in the writing department so why... this.

Because she's a great actress when she has something to work with, and Taika Waititi seems intent on correcting the writing problem that existed before by giving her something to do.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maybe Dennings will be her Loki foil,I'm okay with that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The problem is that we're not worthy to pick up the movie then.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Kat Dennings would be insufferable as Thor.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Kat Dennings would be amazing as Thor.

Fixed that for you. :smile:

I would imagine she would still call the hammer "Mew Mew' the whole time.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • brainfacebrainface Registered User regular

But.

C'mon Marvel.

Dr Strange Spoilers:
    And Wanda. That Scarlet Witch mantle did not last long.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Kat Dennings would be amazing as Thor.

Fixed that for you. :smile:

I would imagine she would still call the hammer "Mew Mew' the whole time.

Kat Dennings is the ideal Thor. You might not like it, but this is what peak comedy looks like.

Because she's a great actress when she has something to work with, and Taika Waititi seems intent on correcting the writing problem that existed before by giving her something to do.

Yeah I'm calling bull, since Dennings had a much smaller part with ostensibly much less to work with but if you asked a thousand people who'd watched marvel movies who'd they'd rather have back I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of those surveyed would say dennings, an actress who has... a crystal reel award for best actress in the 2012 movie "To Write Love on Her Arms".

Like, Natalie could have put in a worthwhile performance but decided to just go through the motions and cash her paycheck.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    To be clear, I like Dennings' character in the MCU just fine. I never want to see that character as anything more than comedy relief, though.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    She can be Thor and still be comedy relief.

I mean, it has worked for Hemsworth since Ragnarok. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    To be clear, I like Dennings' character in the MCU just fine. I never want to see that character as anything more than comedy relief, though.

Honestly, I woulddn't want her either for more then like a scene or two as a comedic bit, I'm just kind of mystified that someone somewhere looked at the comics for ideas, cross referenced their extent cast and thought "Yes, we should totally bring back the actress who was utterly forgetable in her first two movies during the first two phases and bring her back now when the MCU is a legit multi billion dollar industry in it's own right. Yup, that's a thing we should do instead of recasting instead like we did with that putz norton."

Yeah I'm calling bull, since Dennings had a much smaller part with ostensibly much less to work with but if you asked a thousand people who'd watched marvel movies who'd they'd rather have back I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of those surveyed would say dennings, an actress who has... a crystal reel award for best actress in the 2012 movie "To Write Love on Her Arms".

Like, Natalie could have put in a worthwhile performance but decided to just go through the motions and cash her paycheck.

Well, I call bull on Dennings having less to work with. Comedy relief actually has people in the writer's room asking themselves and each other if the shit is funny, and that serves as a springboard for improv.

Don't get me wrong, Kat kills it every time, and Iam actually thrilled that, as of WandaVision Darcy's an actual scientist with credentials, so they can double duty the comedy with science exposition now.

But that's not what was happening in Thor and Thor 2. Jane was the audience stand-in straight woman/damsel. They didn't want her to be funny, because that was Darcy's job, and they didn't want her to be strong, because that's Thor's job. She also couldn't be sneaky, because: Loki, so she ended up being a scientist in a fantasy movie that also has Selvig in it. The only niche she had to herself was "love interest," and that is a misuse of talent.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

Well, I call bull on Dennings having less to work with. Comedy relief actually has people in the writer's room asking themselves and each other if the shit is funny, and that serves as a springboard for improv.

Don't get me wrong, Kat kills it every time, and Iam actually thrilled that, as of WandaVision Darcy's an actual scientist with credentials, so they can double duty the comedy with science exposition now.

But that's not what was happening in Thor and Thor 2. Jane was the audience stand-in straight woman/damsel. They didn't want her to be funny, because that was Darcy's job, and they didn't want her to be strong, because that's Thor's job. She also couldn't be sneaky, because: Loki, so she ended up being a scientist in a fantasy movie that also has Selvig in it. The only niche she had to herself was "love interest," and that is a misuse of talent.

I'm glad you posted this because my version was so much worse. As a contributing point though, I'd bring up Chris Pine in Wonder Woman. He was love interest AND managed to put in some comedic relief. Part of that is just better writing.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I'm glad you posted this because my version was so much worse. As a contributing point though, I'd bring up Chris Pine in Wonder Woman. He was love interest AND managed to put in some comedic relief. Part of that is just better writing.

He wasn't competing with anyone else for comic relief though other than when switching off with Godot with the fish out of water schtick.

There's also the minor issue where men often get to be more than one thing in movies. Being a funny romantic lead is fine if you're a man, but it's less interesting for producers for women. "We want a leading lady that the male demographic wants to bang, not one that makes them laugh. Women aren't that funny anyway."

Which, while utterly wrong and infuriating, is still a problem in Hollywood.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    So, Love and Thunder is a pretty good experience - it's mostly entertaining. It's not really a strong movie - I can't imagine needing to ever see it again, which is fine.

But it suffers badly from wanting to be a comedy (that is borderline Monty Python at times) and then suddenly wanting to be serious. It's totally possible to do both, but this movie isn't up to it. It needs to be more focused, and to not be afraid of letting its characters have feelings before they suddenly need to have an emotional scene, and the quip machine grinds to a sudden halt. There are scenes in the movie that would not look out of place in one of the in-universe plays with Matt Damon and whoever else, which is jarring.

And it does retains that glib, quippy MCU thing to a point where it becomes one of the most superficial of the bunch in a long while. Much of that is that the running joke is that Thor is dumb and shallow. Which is funny sometimes, but not thirty or forty times (and yes, he is trying to avoid emotion, but they still subject us to all that repetitive nothingness). And it's fine - even good! - that it's somewhat juvenile movie; it's okay to be a silly superhero movie (but again, then it wants those moments of something else, and it doesn't really work).

I think it learns the wrong lessons from the last Thor movie, and that it gets pretty indulgent, in a weird way. It feels like Waititi is being indulgent, and at the same time like his heart isn't really in it always. It could stand to lose 20 or 30 minutes - trim the jokes, and that way the remaining ones would all actually be funny... I could stand to lose the five entirely pointless minutes of Crowe's comedy accent.

Oh, and if anyone has a lethal Guns and Roses allergy, bring an epi pen.

Weird GnR detail spoilers:
    There are at least five scenes set to their songs, and different songs are used. A character has chosen the name Axl based on Axl Rose, and there are GnR t-shirts and posters. It's bananas.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    So, Love and Thunder is a pretty good experience - it's mostly entertaining. It's not really a strong movie - I can't imagine needing to ever see it again, which is fine.

But it suffers badly from wanting to be a comedy (that is borderline Monty Python at times) and then suddenly wanting to be serious. It's totally possible to do both, but this movie isn't up to it. It needs to be more focused, and to not be afraid of letting its characters have feelings before they suddenly need to have an emotional scene, and the quip machine grinds to a sudden halt. There are scenes in the movie that would not look out of place in one of the in-universe plays with Matt Damon and whoever else, which is jarring.

And it does retains that glib, quippy MCU thing to a point where it becomes one of the most superficial of the bunch in a long while. Much of that is that the running joke is that Thor is dumb and shallow. Which is funny sometimes, but not thirty or forty times (and yes, he is trying to avoid emotion, but they still subject us to all that repetitive nothingness). And it's fine - even good! - that it's somewhat juvenile movie; it's okay to be a silly superhero movie (but again, then it wants those moments of something else, and it doesn't really work).

I think it learns the wrong lessons from the last Thor movie, and that it gets pretty indulgent, in a weird way. It feels like Waititi is being indulgent, and at the same time like his heart isn't really in it always. It could stand to lose 20 or 30 minutes - trim the jokes, and that way the remaining ones would all actually be funny... I could stand to lose the five entirely pointless minutes of Crowe's comedy accent.

There are at least five scenes set to their songs, and different songs are used. A character has chosen the name Axl based on Axl Rose, and there are GnR t-shirts and posters. It's bananas.

Could you or anyone else who has seen the movie please give a full spoiler account of scenes about
    Jane's illness? My wife is a breast cancer survivor and knows about the storyline being in the movie but I'd like to be able to tell her exactly how much/ what happens in the movie so she knows going in. I read a spoiler that Jane dies but are there chemo scenes/ hair loss / etc?

I would really appreciate it

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Portman in Dark World seems to be primarily there to fawn over Thor; Dennings gets like, scenes where she does science things and has dialogue with other people!

I’m the one guy who didn’t care for Dennings in dark world I guess (not her fault really, the comedy just felt out of place) but she gets more to do and iirc about as much screen time

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Chall wrote: »

Could you or anyone else who has seen the movie please give a full spoiler account of scenes about
    Jane's illness? My wife is a breast cancer survivor and knows about the storyline being in the movie but I'd like to be able to tell her exactly how much/ what happens in the movie so she knows going in. I read a spoiler that Jane dies but are there chemo scenes/ hair loss / etc?

Full movie spoilers on that & Jane, just fyi:
    We are introduced to her as she is getting chemo - but in a pretty Hollywood-ish way, so she's got the IV, but is quippy about it (which is fair, she's trying to deal), but isn't visibly ill otherwise. She becomes Thor, and seems to be better, but then we learn that being Thor drains her, and so when she's in her human form, she becomes weaker and weaker. We see her look more ill a few times, but no hair loss. There is a hospital scene though / her lying in bed, looking quite ill, and a second chemo scene + Thor getting the bad news about her / conversations about death and cancer. She decides to use the hammer one last time, and she dies in the end, ostensibly from the cancer - but is given a scene during the credits in Valhalla (which I'm not sure I'm crazy about).

Chall wrote: »

Full movie spoilers on that & Jane, just fyi:
    We are introduced to her as she is getting chemo - but in a pretty Hollywood-ish way, so she's got the IV, but is quippy about it (which is fair, she's trying to deal), but isn't visibly ill otherwise. She becomes Thor, and seems to be better, but then we learn that being Thor drains her, and so when she's in her human form, she becomes weaker and weaker. We see her look more ill a few times, but no hair loss. There is a hospital scene though / her lying in bed, looking quite ill, and a second chemo scene + Thor getting the bad news about her / conversations about death and cancer. She decides to use the hammer one last time, and she dies in the end, ostensibly from the cancer - but is given a scene during the credits in Valhalla (which I'm not sure I'm crazy about).

Thank you so much! I'll let her know and see how she feels before we go. It's been really hard to find specific details about this online

Also, mods if we have a separate thread for this movie should there be a warning in the OP since unless you're familiar with the comics they don't show any hint of this storyline in the trailers that I noticed

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    We don't have a separate thread for this one unless people wanna toss one up, Spidey and Dr Strange both had a lot of juicy stuff but this one seems less ZOMG SPOILERS so I guess up to you guys, as long as everyone uses spoilers until it hits digital I think we'll be ok

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Spoilers about a new hero who shows up.
    Roy Fucking Kent plays Hercules, no word if he calls Thor a proper cunt.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, that's a little huge for PG-13.

H9f4bVe.png
    Depends on the region tbf

Oh brilliant
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Ah, that special time before the movie is actually freaking out that every news outlet tries to spoil it... I think I've dodged like 5 different ending explained articles/videos already

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wasn't planning on seeing this tonight but got invited out so that's neat

While those sites & channels are a bit much, the movie is out in most of the world already.

Also, the ending explained so no one has to give those sites & channels a click:

It's totally unreasonable to assume that flap jacks are a universal food, and I can only assume that the movie is subtly criticising the inferior American style pancake.

This discussion has been closed.