As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Just saw this and on balance it is Good but is also very Uneven.

Just general arc stuff, no specifics:
    Opening section dragged and felt weightless. Middle was standard McGuffin hunt and edged into alright. The climax fucking rocked it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Uneven is a good description.
    Honestly, should have been longer. Everything felt so rushed and the movie felt like it was on rails at times. Funny, but rapid tonal shifts.

Really didn’t like how quickly it was revealed that someone named Gorr the God Butcher was behind things. Thor slowly unraveling the mystery was a good part of the comics. But also, difficult to do in a movie.

Similarly, didn’t like how Jane just revealed that she was Thor. That mystery was good as well. Also didn’t like that they changed it from Jane wanting to fight cancer without magic and instead she goes looking to Asgard for help.

Marathon on
    Marathon wrote: »
    Uneven is a good description.
    Honestly, should have been longer. Everything felt so rushed and the movie felt like it was on rails at times. Funny, but rapid tonal shifts.

Really didn’t like how quickly it was revealed that someone named Gorr the God Butcher was behind things. Thor slowly unraveling the mystery was a good part of the comics. But also, difficult to do in a movie.

Similarly, didn’t like how Jane just revealed that she was Thor. That mystery was good as well. Also didn’t like that they changed it from Jane wanting to fight cancer without magic and instead she goes looking to Asgard for help.

Actual specifics:
    I can't decide if Mewmew is an asshole or not. With the implication that it called out to Jane it really makes it bullshit that it was draining her ability to fight the cancer. Seems like sort of the opposite of the lesson that Thor had to learn to even pick the stupid thing up. Her quality of life the last few months were probably higher but still.

Also major stupid bit that when the gate was open Thor didn't just fucking fly though it immediately. "Yo Eternity, fix Jane up. Now excuse me, we gotta beat the shit out of this God Butcher dude who has zero chance now."

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Character design
    I really like how they did Eternity. I’ve always loved that design and I’m glad they could bring it to life.

Also, Chris Pratt looked strangely skinny

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Character design
    I really like how they did Eternity. I’ve always loved that design and I’m glad they could bring it to life.

Re: Chris Pratt spoiler
    I mean, everybody was calling him fat in Infinity War…

Character design
    He looked like a dirt poor hick. Which, uh, well that's a direction for Starlord I guess.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That was really fuckin good

Character design

This was a highlight for me, though they made that character smaller than I pictured in my head

Still, dope as shit

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I was really looking forward to this after Ragnarok, but ... I thought it was just bad.

It felt like a long, expensive, self-indulgent, half-baked SNL sketch. :(

On the plus side, Tessa Thompson was good. :)

I thought the payoff was pretty satisfying. I quite enjoyed it. This era of the MCU might be my favorite yet, because things are just getting weird and I love it.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I liked this movie a lot. Probably in my top 3 MCU films.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    End of Thor four stuff, for real spoilers
    I thought they handled the Jane stuff really well, I thought the movie had a good tone to it. Basically three movies going on at once, a classic Thor adventure with humor, Jane and her story resonated with me, and you actually feel for Gorr and I thought Bale really killed it. His scenes were really good. I'm glad they didn't back off of Jane's death. It made the ending that much more impactful. The reveal of the title being the duos' names at the end was great. Fun that the bad guy technically won but, without the sword corrupting him he really just wanted to see his kid again. I kinda wish he came to that decision on his own, without a Thor speech, but it was nice.

Best Thor movie for sure, and that's a feat after Ragnarok

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Really? Wow.
    I thought Bale was awful. You can only get away with the gurning and silly voices in that role if you're carrying genuine menace behind it* - and he just wasn't. Which is weird, because Bale is clearly capable of bringing that.

Korg was tolerable for a few seconds here and there in Ragnarok, but the character was just tedious here.

* I'm thinking e.g., Nicholson or Ledger's Joker, and Bale clearly had ringside seats for the latter.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I’d give it a B-
    With some good bits and potential
    But yeah

It just overdid some things finally and underused others
    Uneven and unbalanced perhaps

They let waititi do too much waititi?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Haven't seen it, but Thor ending spoilers
    Super not enthused about Jane dying, especially after getting powerful. I'm tired of cool women heroes dying, because there aren't that many to begin with. I'll probably still watch it when it goes on D+, but it really kills my enthusiasm.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I mean the ending kinda leaves it open ended with
    Second post credit scene is Jane arriving in Valhalla and meeting Heimdall there

So I mean, she's not gone gone

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean the ending kinda leaves it open ended with
    Second post credit scene is Jane arriving in Valhalla and meeting Heimdall there

So I mean, she's not gone gone

That's.... probably better, yeah? Thanks

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Felt like a lesser version of Ragnarok, but still better than most the recent MCU stuff. Quick clean fun.

I think like Ragnarok, it benefits from being mostly stand alone. Not a ton of fat packed into it to tie off threads from 2 movies and 3 shows ago while trying to set up the next things.

Also a great demonstration to all the other MCU/comicbook movie directors: A sub 140+ minute runtime! IT CAN BE DONE!

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Haven't seen it, but Thor ending spoilers
    Super not enthused about Jane dying, especially after getting powerful. I'm tired of cool women heroes dying, because there aren't that many to begin with. I'll probably still watch it when it goes on D+, but it really kills my enthusiasm.

Comic spoilers/future MCU fodder
    She becomes Valkyrie with the all weapon (I believe it was called). Basically kind of a gold gauntlet that she can make transform into anything she needs it to. She also has a pegasus that can talk. And can see when people are going to die via an aura of death around them. Then she takes them to Valhalla.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Russell Crowe probably pissed off half of Greece with that performance and I do not care. Loved it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Just saw it. Thoughts below.
    I think it's a trend of newer MCU entries being uneven as said above. It feels like there are two movies here: there is a Thor Ragnarok sequel that is quirky and fun and silly, and then there's a dramatic Jane Foster piece where she's choosing between life and heroism and death and it's kind of serious and real and honestly that was the part I was more interested in. It's too bad the Ragnarok sequel just kind of runs over it at every opportunity. You know what, there's actually a third movie here that tries to bridge the two, and it's the Thor/Foster romance that's a little bit of a romcom and it's still kind of sweet. You could do that movie, with either of the other ones but not all three things.

The movie is TOO FULL. There's not enough time to let anything breathe. We see some really good scenes from Portman where she's vulnerable but we gotta hurry up because we've got shit to do. I would have liked to see this be mostly about Jane, or at least 50/50 it. Her arc in general is SO RUSHED and the movie is worse for it. She's dying. Okay get her this hammer. Alright, we don't get a slow build up of "who's this new Thor" we just get to the reveal. Come on, let's go, more stuff to do. Alright, kissy kissy make up real fast, we have to have enough time for the big fight. Fight over, now let's hurry up she's dying they love each other, we get it, move to final fight scene. Big hero moment. Dead. I would have liked to see some of the relationship building between Valkyrie and Jane. They didn't know each other AT ALL before this. Now they're besties?

There's also shit in this movie that doesn't really need to be in there and is mostly there for jokes, which is fine. I like jokes. I think Ragnarok was one of the best MCU movies. But not at the cost of making the rest of the movie work. The Guardians part? Didn't need to be in there. God city? Didn't need to be in there either. Especially because the funniest parts of those were spoiled in the trailer!

I guess my complaint is that we got a cool female power fantasy in Captain Marvel and I think it would have been cool to see something similar, tempered with the gravitas of Jane killing herself to be a hero the whole time. That's a story that hasn't really been done in the MCU. It was also REALLY GOOD in the comics. And maybe if we get a Jane Foster Thor sequel due to the ambiguous ending we can do all that, and we can do War of the Realms and that will be cool and they'll be able to deliver on what I wanted out of this movie at some other point. But this movie was a mess for trying too much.

I think this is easily the worst stretch of the MCU so far, which to be clear, means that they were all at least fine. But basically since the MCU came back post covid the only movie I enjoyed without reservation was No Way Home. I think the more troubling thing is that they keep trying to make female characters more prominent and then also just kind of shoving them to the background. I didn't like how they handled Wanda in Strange, and I don't love how Foster is used in this.

Remember the part in Endgame where all the female Avengers got to have their super cool badass battle moment? I felt that Disney didn't really earn that moment, they hadn't really done that much with their female characters so it felt really hollow, like "HEY Y'ALL #GIRLBOSSES THIS MOMENT IS FOR YOU" but at the end of the day, they still killed Nat, and this was still a story about the men. Mighty Thor felt like that, if you stretched it through the whole movie. At least when Endgame happened, I kind of interpreted it as "hey, we understand we sucked at this before, but we're going to do better starting now" and I'm still just kind of waiting for it.

ChaosHat on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    While those sites & channels are a bit much, the movie is out in most of the world already.

Also, the ending explained so no one has to give those sites & channels a click:

It's totally unreasonable to assume that flap jacks are a universal food, and I can only assume that the movie is subtly criticising the inferior American style pancake.
    Totally. Babylon 5 has already told us that the Swedish Meatball is the one truly universal food.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVLkxSSvegc

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Wait, did he just:
    conscript a bunch of child soldiers? I mean, I think the scene works (you know in a Marvel movie, they aren’t in REAL danger), and it was one of the high points of the movie for me.

But my immediate impression was “oh no”.

Also, Brett Goldstein as Hercules is inspired casting. Heh.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Wait, did he just:
    conscript a bunch of child soldiers? I mean, I think the scene works (you know in a Marvel movie, they aren’t in REAL danger), and it was one of the high points of the movie for me.

I mean, it's not like they weren't in danger already, if anything he gave them a chance to survive instead of just being fish in a barrel.

There's a pretty wide delta between that and conscription.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Gorr was IMO the best villain in the MCU so far. Like, damn.

Also, something I didn’t know until I saw it on twitter this afternoon but find interesting (maybe minor casting spoilers?):
    The actress who played Gorr’s daughter is Chris Hemsworth’s daughter in real life.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Wait, did he just:

I mean, it's not like they weren't in danger already, if anything he gave them a chance to survive instead of just being fish in a barrel.

Yea, what else was he gonna do with them?
    It was a little storybook cheesy/pat/whatever but this movie was half fairy tale already. It also fits into Thor at his best, where he is helping others be the most they can be. Which contrasts nicely with the beginning when he's all depressed and aimless and mostly about how awesome he can be.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Wait, did he just:
    conscript a bunch of child soldiers?

"For a limited time only"

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Wait, did he just:

I do think the movie could have stood to be another half hour at least
    I think the general idea was that they were supposed to be fighting for themselves, their own future; but the movie didn't do a good job of running the through-line of people standing up for themselves and not needing gods, even though the opening set up the notion really well. Then they just....dropped it, and barely spent any time on what the point of gods were, other than the scene in omnipi-city, but even that was played more for humor and didn't really dig far enough (as I would have liked anyway) into the "fuck ya'll, you're just sucking up air" view.

I wonder how many people recognized the music in that scene was the coda of a really fucking depressing song that even a lot of people from my generation never really heard (the coda, many people know November Rain, but the coda was regularly cut off when it was on the radio). It kind of changed the tone of the scene to a sadder one, and I immediately knew what was going to happen to Jane when it started. :( Great use of music!

Honestly, I thought the movie needed a lot more god-butchering. Bale was in it too little, and he should have been in it way more; and the scene with the story telling really didn't feel like it was in character, or at least they must have cut some scenes that made it clearer he liked to toy with his prey. It made the same mistake Doctor Strange did, and made the main theme pass by in seconds, just to get back to the main characters. Show us some gods getting slaughtered, make some of them meaningful. Show us that the gods are just hiding in their city instead of just implying it but also leaving it open to them just being dumb, which is fine, but kind of boring.

mid credit scene:
    Fucking Roy fucking Kent as Hercules is the greatest god damned thing ever oh my god I need more now.

EDIT: Opening scene
    I was 100% on board with Gorr after that, and I kind of wish it was just his movie. Fuck the gods, lets have a villain story that is very appropriate for our times, where it's fair to ask if he's really the bad guy.

Overall I actually thought it was great. Yeah, again, it needed to be longer, minimum half hour more to flesh out some storylines and raise the stakes, but I liked it miles better than MoM, and definitely better than Ragnarok. But like MoM, it, yeah, needed more time, or maybe just split up into more movies.

I'm sure I'll have more to say later, but just got home from it.

And that soundtrack. That god damned soundtrack. It was my childhood. I might have to go out and buy it, even though I'm sure I have all of those songs on various albums already. Guns N Roses is a band that I feel like has aged like fine wine, but they don't get the attention these days that other bands of the era did. I guess them functionally breaking up in the mid 90's didn't help. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This movie definitely feels more kid oriented (orgy jokes aside) in that there's actual kid main characters that aren't just would-be supers

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Wait, did he just:

He empowered a bunch of kids to defend themselves against monsters that where trying to kill them. It was either that or stay back and defend them to the exclusion of trying to stop a villain who's wish would also kill them. Best of bad options really.

Brett Goldstein... You could see that he hadn't gotten in shape the marvel way(Steroids cough, HGH Cough). So he looked like a weed, not a Olympic Hero that he was supposed to. Also I excepted him to call Thor a cunt. Cause all I saw was Roy Kent dressed in a Hercules costume for Keely. Then again he might be the right fit for MCU Hercules. Hit the gym Brett.

I think Phil Dunster aka Jaime Tart would have been a better Hercules if we tried for the Comic version. If we had to cast from Ted Lasso.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Fellow Destiny 2 players, did
    Eternity's whole look and feel seem almost exactly like the Trials of the Nine end? Even down to the inch of water...

Loved the movie. I like that I can go into these cosmic marvel movies like Thor and GotG and know that im gonna get flashy visuals, humor, and fun action.

ObiFett wrote: »
    Eternity's whole look and feel seem almost exactly like the Trials of the Nine end? Even down to the inch of water...

Loved the movie. I like that I can go into these cosmic marvel movies like Thor and GotG and know that im gonna get flashy visuals, humor, and fun action.

I can see the similarity but that look for them way predates it. I thought it was a wonderful translation of a comic book design.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I can see the similarity but that look for them way predates it. I thought it was a wonderful translation of a comic book design.

Oooh, so Bungie ripped off the comic. Interesting.

It's a neat visual, so I don't think it's a big deal if it is borrowed.
    I'm just so accustomed to seeing some of that sort of endless void with ankle deep water that people are usually walking on anyway, in jrpgs, anime, etc. The specific imagery of Eternity themselves is definitely from the comics, but I suspect one could find similar depictions in other forms from earlier. I'd be super surprised if there wasn't some Buddhist artwork that looked similar at some time in history.

I'll say that some of the visual beats in that ending sequence reminded a lot of the end of FFXIV Shadowbringers, but that too is likely wholly coincidence.

We got tickets to a 3D showing, I didn't really realize that was a thing that existed anymore. However like most of the 3D movies of the part it was barely utilized throughout the movie, at least in any way that your brain doesn't automatically do with a non 3D movie if you are fully engrossed; except that ending scene
    where the effect with Eternity was really trippy.

Not sure it made it worth having glasses on the whole time (I don't normally wear glasses) with a mask and trying to not get them foggy. But it was a thing.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    just got back from seeing this, it was fun!
    I really disliked the Lady Thor comic run but Portman's Mighty Thor arc was really good.
    kinda hoping she comes back, but valhalla seems sorta final. Although how did Zeus come back?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I want more of the goats. Just.. gimme them goats. All the time. Every movie. Just for a second. Have Deadpool riding one of them in the background in F4, whatever.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    God Deadpool would have so much fun with them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    God Deadpool would have so much fun with them.

I desperately need (post credits spoiler)
    Hercules to be in Deadpool and let Brett Goldstein just go nuts with language. And then have him be in other properties and speak all proper and clean, and never explain it.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    just got back from seeing this, it was fun!
    I really disliked the Lady Thor comic run but Portman's Mighty Thor arc was really good.
    kinda hoping she comes back, but valhalla seems sorta final. Although how did Zeus come back?

Zeus
    He just didn't die. He's an incredibly powerful god.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really liked the serious parts of this film and wanted more of that, and less of the jokey parts.

Which seems weird after Ragnarok which is one of my favorite MCU films. And I like Waititi, but his humor just needed to be reigned in here.

This discussion has been closed.