As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    There is apparently a 4-ish hour cut of this movie. Eat shit Zack Snyder, let me see that version Disney.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Saw it last night. It was pretty fun, though definitely not as good as Ragnarok. Gorr was a great villain, and I found myself more than I expected to. Like yeah, fuck the Gods, they’re almost all assholes anyway.

There was one particular shot it seemed like they reused over and over again though… the one shot from the side with person jumping high into the air and smashing down into the enemies in slow motion. I swear they reused that shot at least 4 times in the movie I can think of. I mean yeah it’s a good shot, but jeeeez.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I saw it today! It was a lot of fun. Tone was a bit schizo, which is the only complaint I have. I wish they had either gone full serious or full comedy.

Either way though, a lot of fun. I might have to see it again.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh brilliant
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm actually enjoying these leaner, less bloated marvel movies.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I loved the look of the movie, got some cool action scenes, lots of funny scenes. I was entertained but at the same time part of me was annoyed at how almost everything was a big joke all the time. It's a waste of a cool villain that sounds so threatening on paper but gets overshadowed by the over the top silliness of almost everything else.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I wish I could unsee Love and Thunder.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Should have waited for the Disney+ release. As stated, it couldn't decide on tone (worse than Ragnarok) and at best it hit "uneven".
    I'll give a small amount of credit to teddy bear and jump rope girl, but otherwise cringe and for the love of Eternity don't let gimped enemy get in before you idiots.

Like I can absolutely believe there is a mountain on the cutting room floor, and I can only imagine, if there is, that it's where all the heart went. Or maybe Taika got too much influence after Ragnarok and the editor didn't have the ability to restrain him.

Dac wrote: »
    Like I can absolutely believe there is a mountain on the cutting room floor, and I can only imagine, if there is, that it's where all the heart went. Or maybe Taika got too much influence after Ragnarok and the editor didn't have the ability to restrain him.

Clearly Waititi was being self-indulgent, but it was still fun.

Orca wrote: »

Clearly Waititi was being self-indulgent, but it was still fun.

YMMV, but I did not have fun. I have fun when I'm invested in a character's journey. When it's non-stop sarcastic quips and jokes that don't land for me like 90% of the time and the plot is careening from place to place, painting everything in the broadest possible strokes, and there's little to no development and/or payoff for subplots, it's really hard for me to care.

I loved Thor Ragnarok and this was just a disappointment for me.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The movie is like exactly 2 hours. The editor restrained the fuck out of Taiki. Well, probably Marvel Suits forced the editor to make sure this movie was nice and svelte.

The movie reeks of having been considerably cut down and the funny bits emphasized. Don't know who I think is more likely responsible for that choice.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    It should have been Jane's movie. She felt like just a supporting character and they never took the focus off of Thor long enough to do her story justice. I didn't know she was going to die and I kept expecting the official handoff to happen and it just didn't. The introduction of the daughter as the actual new recurring character felt completely out of left field to me.

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    This is defnitely the most uneven Marvel movie but I think as a whole I really like it. The good parts make up for the bad ones and then some. And the good parts and the bad ones aren't even intertwined, I really disliked the first half and but loved the second.
    In the first half the humor was bad enough for me to make me physically cringe, which no other Marvel or Waititi movie has managed so far.
    But the moment that ship leaves earth... Everything after that and especially the Shadow Realm is my favourite MCU movie so far.

And even after seeing him in several other movies I can't get over how great Christian Bale was in this. Loved every second of his performance, except for the introductory scenes.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So I've just come back from seeing Thor, and my God do I hate commercials. I've stopped watching TV about twenty years ago now, so I'm simply no longer used to seeing commercials anywhere, except when I go to the movies. And because I'm no longer used to them, they get on every one of my nerves. I mean, I don't really mind the ads for local businesses. They have a kind of amateur charm, and they feel appropriate since they're part of the same local business ecosystem as the movie theatre. They fit. But the regular commercials are expensive, over-produced, meaningless garbage that have no business eating up as much time as they do. They're actively repulsive to me.

But anyway, the movie. It was neat. I had fun.

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    There was one particular shot it seemed like they reused over and over again though… the one shot from the side with person jumping high into the air and smashing down into the enemies in slow motion. I swear they reused that shot at least 4 times in the movie I can think of. I mean yeah it’s a good shot, but jeeeez.

yeah, because it's fucking METAL

I've been waiting for
    November Rain guitar solo as final battle theme
    for thirty fucking years

Taiki gets me

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I've just come back from seeing Thor, and my God do I hate commercials. I've stopped watching TV about twenty years ago now, so I'm simply no longer used to seeing commercials anywhere, except when I go to the movies. And because I'm no longer used to them, they get on every one of my nerves. I mean, I don't really mind the ads for local businesses. They have a kind of amateur charm, and they feel appropriate since they're part of the same local business ecosystem as the movie theatre. They fit. But the regular commercials are expensive, over-produced, meaningless garbage that have no business eating up as much time as they do. They're actively repulsive to me.

But anyway, the movie. It was neat. I had fun.

We usually go to Regal and in addition to the typical "use our app!" and "buy some bepis n' corn!" ads, they have one that's just like... go to the theater? The one you're already sat in? It's weird.

Anyway they refreshed it recently to one with a buncha teens and Danny Trejo communicating with each other entirely in movie quotes and every time I see it I fear I might cringe myself into a singularity.

https://youtu.be/ZyMb_NUAKUU

Oh brilliant
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Danny Trejo would have had me, but wow, that's a rough trailer.

The theater here kinda revamped during COVID. Got the sticky stuff off the floors, replaced the seating with some nicer, wider chairs that are soft and recline a lot, and have little swivel tables. It's nice! Screens are still on the small side, but I'm in the woods here. I can't complain much.

Also the local drive-in wasn't showing Thor.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Also, how has no one brought up the fact that
    Thor and Love are totally tooling around in a space Winnebago like Spaceballs

Jesus, I expect more from the lot of you

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Just got back from Love and Thunder.

It was a bit disappointing. Had some good jokes.
    I especially like the recurring bit with Stormbreaker lurking about like a jealous girlfriend.

Christian Bale was an excellent villain, but he seemed a bit wasted on such an un-serious movie. There's such a thing as being too goofy and Love and Thunder may have strayed a bit too far over that line.

Chris Hemsworth has great comedic ability, but I worry that Thor has become far too much of a cartoon character these days. Especially when you consider that he's actually one of the more tragic figures in the MCU.
    I couldn't help but notice that Gamorra was missing from the GotG crew.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Portman and Thompson do not seem like they wanted to be in this movie.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I thought Portman had already walked on Thor but came back because she liked what they'd done in Ragnarok.

Or at least I think I read that in some random place I don't remember of undoubtedly dubious credibility.

RT800 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The first 2/3 is so baaaaaad.

So much of the humor just didn't land and the bit of "undercut a serious moment with a joke" got old real fast.

The last third saved the movie.

I really think there would have been a better and more interesting movie focusing on Foster.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't really get what a "god" is in the MCU. It seemed like the Asgardian children were not considered to be gods. But Odin and Thor definitely are. What's the difference? Aren't they all just aliens? Moon Knight had gods which seemed to work quite differently. I never really understood where Thor's inherent god of thunder powers came from in Ragnarok. Is it just a royal bloodline sort of thing?

Zek wrote: »
    I don't really get what a "god" is in the MCU. It seemed like the Asgardian children were not considered to be gods. But Odin and Thor definitely are. What's the difference? Aren't they all just aliens? Moon Knight had gods which seemed to work quite differently. I never really understood where Thor's inherent god of thunder powers came from in Ragnarok. Is it just a royal bloodline sort of thing?

It's whatever they say it is.

Don't think about it too hard, this is comics, where literal Thor stands next to a dude that can shrink to subatomic size or grow to the size of a building.

As far as I can tell, it seems like it's magic, but maybe some bloodline linked version.

Who the hell knows?

The implication from previous movies, especially Thor 2, was that the Asgardians weren't really capital-G gods, but aliens or human relatives that had technology so incredibly advanced that it was indistinguishable from magic, and that had perhaps been around so long that even its users had bought into the mythologizing they used to describe their tech to 'lesser beings' like modern humans. It's why Asgardian stuff is considered different from what the mother teaches Loki, which is described as actual magic (might operate on the same principles as Doctor Strange's stuff or not, who knows).

So, yeah, that's kind of tough to square now with how this movie depicts the cosmology, where they are Gods and shut up.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Saw T:LT over the weekend, thoughts:
    While I had fun, it definitely felt like a movie that was pulled in too many plots, and didn't spend enough time with any of them. I could definitely have seen two movies, the first being Odinson off doing his own thing, while Mighty Thor was doing the heroic things, then ending with some beats around Thor finding out Jane was dieing/kids getting kidnapped. Then the second movie is Thor coming to terms with that, and becoming a leader in his own right, etc.

Overall, good, but the first half-ish felt very underbaked and/or chopped together out of a much longer cut.

Sif I felt got really short shrifted with the whole lost arm thing, and Thor was like "shrug it off". That was a low point of the movie, for me.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Also, totally subjective, but being the father of an almost 7 year old daughter, this movie hits like a freight train.

Yes, I'm crying fuck you if you got a problem

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

The implication from previous movies, especially Thor 2, was that the Asgardians weren't really capital-G gods, but aliens or human relatives that had technology so incredibly advanced that it was indistinguishable from magic, and that had perhaps been around so long that even its users had bought into the mythologizing they used to describe their tech to 'lesser beings' like modern humans. It's why Asgardian stuff is considered different from what the mother teaches Loki, which is described as actual magic (might operate on the same principles as Doctor Strange's stuff or not, who knows).

So, yeah, that's kind of tough to square now with how this movie depicts the cosmology, where they are Gods and shut up.

I can't see why what Loki and Freja do is magic but what Thor, Odin, Hel, Heimdall, etc. etc. is "science". Or what a "real" god is.

The Capital-G God of Christians, Jews and Muslims can't be stabbed by a sword and doesn't fistfight monsters, and all the gods of ancient mythology were basically superheroes who did often stab each other, they'd bicker, politic, romance, fight, kill and die and I don't know why they'd need any more of an explanation than any other Marvel hero.

Lanlaorn on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Also, totally subjective, but being the father of an almost 7 year old daughter, this movie hits like a freight train.

Yes, I'm crying fuck you if you got a problem
    The opening few minutes made me cry, and I could absolutely see myself grabbing that sword.

Gimme the sequel where Thor and Valkyrie start tearing Olympus apart. Then Valkyrie can bring the woman who's hand she kissed back with her.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Fellow Destiny 2 players, did
    Eternity's whole look and feel seem almost exactly like the Trials of the Nine end? Even down to the inch of water...

Loved the movie. I like that I can go into these cosmic marvel movies like Thor and GotG and know that im gonna get flashy visuals, humor, and fun action.
    4t1lj3p9m67l.jpg
    :3

But yes, that was a cool movie :3 I really liked it. Some of that shit was so 80s metal dialed up to 11 :P

Edit: Wow, a lot of people here didn't like it. I'm surprised. It definitely wasn't my favorite Marvel movie but I had fun :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    So someone asked Waititi about all the extra footage, and he has zero interest in making a director's cut:
    I wrote the thing so when you cut anything it's a little bit of a challenge to yourself because you're like, "Am I not that good? Should I have seen this coming?" But every film I've done I've probably cut the same amount out. When you go into the edit you just never know. A scene on its own could be the most funniest thing or intriguing thing, but sometimes those things if you keep them in will just make the movie screech to a halt. So you have to do what's best for the film.

Stuff that's in the deleted footage:

Jeff Goldblum
    Lena Headey
    Peter Dinklage
    Russell Crowe doing his entire performance in a British accent

Also, the goats originally didn't scream - they were added in post-production when one of the CG vendors got goofy during an update and added that Taylor Swift song with screaming goats edited in, and Waititi loved it and went bonkers.

Oh, and it was Kevin Feige who requested the gigantic
    RIP Loki back tattoo.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Bad call Kev
    The tattoo was probably the gag I disliked the most

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can't imagine why Waititi thought they'd ever release a director's cut for the film, something that's never happened for any MCU property.

Best bet is throwing those deleted scenes on Disney+ alongside the film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I had fun at the movie but I'd still rank as worse than all but Dark World among the Thors. As my friend put it, it's like after Ragnarok Waititi dialed it up 3 notches when just 1 was needed.

Like that fight scene on the alien planet against the potoo muppets was for the most part really really bad. I just really wanted it to be over, and I generally never have strong negative opinions about MCU fights, with the exception of the really bad CGI in that one shot in Black Panther.

And as someone else called out, the side shot of the slow motion jump in with weapon overhead and as well as the sliding in were used so much it felt like they were memeing on themselves.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Something that annoyed me
    How they go over the deaths of Warrior 3. Seemed a bit mean spirited since I know that was a complaint about Ragnarok.

edited July 2022
    Reminder, I think we’re still using closed spoilers.
    I liked the visuals of the fight on that small planet, but it was so small that it looked like a high def game of Mario Galaxy and it bumped me out the movie for a minute.

Marathon on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Anyone want to guess when the new Thor is coming to D+ ?

What was the gap with the new Dr Strange film ?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Anyone want to guess when the new Thor is coming to D+ ?

What was the gap with the new Dr Strange film ?

Looks like about 1-2 months. Like.... 1.5 months :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, Strange was 45 days + 2 to get to a Wednesday release. Eternals and Shang-Chi were around 10 weeks.

So, unless Thor really shows some legs for box office returns, I would place the earliest date for a D+ release at August 24.

This discussion has been closed.