As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    https://www.nba.com/news/jazz-trade-royce-oneale-to-nets

O'Neale to the Nets for a 2023 first round pick. Ainge doing Ainge things.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    celtics still don't have anyone who can dribble a basketball

weird choice of guys to go after considering they just lost the finals because they literally could not stop handing the ball to the warriors every half second.

Like brogdon is fine I guess but idk I don’t think another defense first guard with so so shooting was really the best fit for them.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

DiVincenzo to the Warriors. I think that's a solid backup for them.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Does he still have Jim Nantz’s tie

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

weird choice of guys to go after considering they just lost the finals because they literally could not stop handing the ball to the warriors every half second.

Like brogdon is fine I guess but idk I don’t think another defense first guard with so so shooting was really the best fit for them.

Maybe they’re going to deal brown, smart, and three picks for KD

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

I still think they’ll do better turnover-wise not exhausted. I also think there’s not many guards available that fit that hypothetical sweet spot for the c’s so might as well double down on what almost won it for you

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I still think they’ll do better turnover-wise not exhausted. I also think there’s not many guards available that fit that hypothetical sweet spot for the c’s so might as well double down on what almost won it for you

al horford going thermonuclear? seems risky

aeNqQM9.jpg
    y2jake215 wrote: »

al horford going thermonuclear? seems risky

I’ll gamble my life on al horfords weird ass shooting motion

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    "I'll stay a little longer as long as I'm getting 60M+"

Damian Lillard on his 2/120 deal (probably). Man, those super maxes are off the charts.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Yeah, Dame man, that guy is super well known for being in it for the cash. Hes staying in Portland for the dollars, because definitely no other teams would like to pay him.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    burbo wrote: »
    Yeah, Dame man, that guy is super well known for being in it for the cash. Hes staying in Portland for the dollars, because definitely no other teams would like to pay him.

I know this is sarcastic...but it is also true.

No team would ever pay him that much, and while he can be lauded for his loyalty to the franchise, it's also true that no one could ever have paid him more throughout his career outside of a S&T.

Inquisitor77 on
    Its true that he gets marginally more (what is it, 5-10%?) For staying on the same team, but the idea that Dame couldn't get the max somewhere else is honestly laughable on it's face.

The man is getting paid, no doubt about it, but have we really gotten to the point where Dame is getting backlash for NOT deamanding a trade or leaving for a "superteam"?

Its true that he gets marginally more (what is it, 5-10%?) For staying on the same team, but the idea that Dame couldn't get the max somewhere else is honestly laughable on it's face.

The man is getting paid, no doubt about it, but have we really gotten to the point where Dame is getting backlash for NOT deamanding a trade or leaving for a "superteam"?

Backlash? I don't think so. But the Blazers ain't winning anytime soon, so he's not really worried about that yet I guess. He'll take the cash, can't blame him.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah if he's staying in Portland it's not to chase a ring

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I'm not saying either way. I'm just pointing out that it isn't like he didn't benefit from never leaving Portland. I think it's fine if players leave their teams, and it's fine if they decide to stay for money/family/whatever. It's their lives, so I can take my opinion and shove it.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it sucks that they'll be right back in the will he/won't he boat in two years because let's get real the blazers aren't a move or two away from contending, but the I'm sure the franchise felt as though they had to do it

it honestly strikes me as kind of a weird move for lillard too since it's two years of prime career that he could've easily parlayed into a longer deal wherever else he wanted, but maybe coming off the injury/surgery he wanted a secure payday

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Apparently Harden signed for $15 million less than he could have. So he must be pretty serious about winning that chip, given he's easily a max-level player.

I'm not sure it makes the Players Association happy, though.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    he probably also understands that at this point, he doesn't really want to be carrying the backpack anymore either, say what you want about his work ethic and reliability on the court, it at least seems like he has the insight to recognize the player that he is now and what he wants out of the game for the remaining seasons of his career

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Dame has been pretty open about what makes him tick. He doesnt consider a ring chasing championship to be very valuable. He values his life, his relationships, his community. He says he wants a title more than anything, but a title for Portland specifically. He dreams of the Dirk style title. He also is aware of how many players have bounced around, chasing rings and still never get one or even get close. Hes at peace with the idea that he could spend the his whole career with one team, in one community, and never win a chip, as long as he gave his all and his team did too.

I honestly think its a solid set of priorities and a refreshing counterpoint to the ringz culture brain poision that we have all been infected with.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    All of this is valid but I still think it's a shame that we won't get to see a player like him playing more meaningful playoff basketball across his career.

Dame has been pretty open about what makes him tick. He doesnt consider a ring chasing championship to be very valuable. He values his life, his relationships, his community. He says he wants a title more than anything, but a title for Portland specifically. He dreams of the Dirk style title. He also is aware of how many players have bounced around, chasing rings and still never get one or even get close. Hes at peace with the idea that he could spend the his whole career with one team, in one community, and never win a chip, as long as he gave his all and his team did too.

I honestly think its a solid set of priorities and a refreshing counterpoint to the ringz culture brain poision that we have all been infected with.

I think of KG and what he was saying after he won a championship in Boston. He was saying, me paraphrasing, "I stayed loyal for too long in Minnesota.". As fans, it's awesome when a guy stays, especially with how rare it is in the NBA these days. I want Curry, Klay, Draymond, and even Looney to finish their careers with the Warriors. When you think about it though, pro athletes have a very short shelf life in the grand scheme of things (referring back to KG's statement). An injury or two can easily detail things. Even then, we're talking 15 to 20 years for the absolute best (with 20 being an insane number). So, for Lillard to stay in Portland when it's clear they won't be winning is interesting from the stand point of a pro athlete's ultimate goal: win a championship. He's been in the league 10 years already and he ain't getting younger. Let's not forget, Dirk even said he considered leaving the Mavericks. Kobe nearly left the Lakers for Chicago. Sitting on rebuilding teams not achieving much must be super frustrating and almost a waste of time for guys at this point in their careers (Dirk better get some ownership stake for constantly taking discounts for crap Mavericks teams the latter half of his career). So, for him to stay, I wonder if that will parlay into regret if he never ends up winning a championship. They are not even close to contending at the moment. Obviously, the decision is up to him, but that's part of the reason guys move around. Once you're done, you can never go back.

TelMarine wrote: »

I think of KG and what he was saying after he won a championship in Boston. He was saying, me paraphrasing, "I stayed loyal for too long in Minnesota.". As fans, it's awesome when a guy stays, especially with how rare it is in the NBA these days. I want Curry, Klay, Draymond, and even Looney to finish their careers with the Warriors. When you think about it though, pro athletes have a very short shelf life in the grand scheme of things (referring back to KG's statement). An injury or two can easily detail things. Even then, we're talking 15 to 20 years for the absolute best (with 20 being an insane number). So, for Lillard to stay in Portland when it's clear they won't be winning is interesting from the stand point of a pro athlete's ultimate goal: win a championship. He's been in the league 10 years already and he ain't getting younger. Let's not forget, Dirk even said he considered leaving the Mavericks. Kobe nearly left the Lakers for Chicago. Sitting on rebuilding teams not achieving much must be super frustrating and almost a waste of time for guys at this point in their careers (Dirk better get some ownership stake for constantly taking discounts for crap Mavericks teams the latter half of his career). So, for him to stay, I wonder if that will parlay into regret if he never ends up winning a championship. They are not even close to contending at the moment. Obviously, the decision is up to him, but that's part of the reason guys move around. Once you're done, you can never go back.

I also find it an interesting contrast to Harden, who gets a lot more flak and who has changed teams a few times, but who literally just gave up $15 million dollars so that his current team could be more competitive. What exactly is the value of "loyalty" in that context? I think if you asked any 76ers fan, they'd say that Harden is being very loyal to their franchise while he is playing for them.

If I'm being honest I think Lillard is just playing both sides in the sense that he knows his team will never be truly competitive and he refuses to put any meaningful pressure on ownership/management, but he also wants to look like the good guy to the fans and is happy to just be the best player on a bad team that never really has championship pressure.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Did Harden really give up that much or is he not actually worth max money anymore?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    For me, the main disconnect is that these players must, in our minds, make winning s championship at all costs be their number one priority. I agree that Dame seems content enough to essentially be an Oregon folk hero, live with his family in a community where he has planted deep roots, work with people with whom hes built a deep relationship, vs. Going ring chasing so he doesnt make the Barkley, Malone, Nash etc. List. I also agree that probably wins that "win a title no matter where, no matter how" probably isnt his number 1 priority in life. We can say that makes him less single mindedly competitive than some, perhaps, or maybe he just doesn't think of a decontextualized ring count the same way everyone else does, but its a set of prorities that, as a human being, i can relate to.

Butters wrote: »
    Did Harden really give up that much or is he not actually worth max money anymore?

Harden is 100% worth the max. The max is a cap on the value of the best players in the league - in an uncapped market these players would be getting way more money - and for all the weird criticisms leveled at him, he's still one of the best players in the league.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Harden is 100% worth the max. The max is a cap on the value of the best players in the league - in an uncapped market these players would be getting way more money - and for all the weird criticisms leveled at him, he's still one of the best players in the league.

I don't think the league values him at a max anymore. If they did then he wouldn't be signing for 2/60ish with Philly.

Carpy wrote: »

I don't think the league values him at a max anymore. If they did then he wouldn't be signing for 2/60ish with Philly.

Harden doesn't even have an agent. He didn't go out on the market and ask for offers. He has a relationship with Morey and they worked out an arrangement.

He only played in 65 games this past season, 44 the previous, and just had one of his worst years statistically. He averaged 22 even per game on 41% shooting and 33% from three. I'm not gonna say he's washed up yet but those numbers along with how he utterly disappeared in Philly's final playoff game (going 0/2 in the entire second half) make me question him being valued like a first team All-NBA anymore.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    harden gave up a player option, he had the money in his pocket

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Harden is one of those players for whom losing a small amount of athleticism will be a really big deal; I dunno whether he’s worth the max but I’d be very nervous about giving it to him at this point

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    It also doesn't help him that the league instituted rule changes and new officiating guidelines to combat his aggressively boring play style.

edited July 2022
    How many players do we think are "worth the max" in this market? 45? (1.5 per team?) Do we think Harden is still a top 45 player? Probably, right?

burbo on
    edited July 2022
    There is being worth the max when you're 24 and being worth the max when you're 32 and muscled your way out of two franchises in the last two seasons.

Maybe if he went on the open market, Harden would still command max money. I don't actually know it just wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't.

Butters on
    harden is legit the second best point guard in the league right now, his vision and ball handling is ridiculously good.

the sixers were shooting almost 10% better from 3 when he's on the court. i cannot stress enough how mediocre players can be and still earn a max, harden would get a max so fast your head would spin.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    As the Nets saga unfolds I'm steadily becoming more sympathetic towards Harden. I also could not work with Kyrie at all and I could see him resenting KD for selling him on this nonsense. It sounds like the culture there was absolutely fucked, and nobody cared to fix it, or perhaps nobody could fix it.

I feel like it's being mad at someone for running out of a burning building.

But anyways, Pistons 2-0 in summer league hell yeah I'm all in don't hurt yourself Ivey

Psn:wazukki
    I am less sympathetic of Harden showing up overweight and intentionally playing at a replacement level to force his way out of Houston. The Rockets pulled out all matter of stops to be competitive when he was there and this was during a time a lot of GMs were genuinely waiting out the Warriors because they were so stacked. Replacing Chris Paul with Westbrook was Harden's idea because he didn't like Paul but Houston did it anyway to keep him happy despite Paul being the superior player even then.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah but Chris Paul is clearly cursed in the playoffs

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    harden is legit the second best point guard in the league right now, his vision and ball handling is ridiculously good.

the sixers were shooting almost 10% better from 3 when he's on the court. i cannot stress enough how mediocre players can be and still earn a max, harden would get a max so fast your head would spin.
    lol what

so you would rather have harden on your team than...
    steph? luka? ja? trae? lamelo? dame?
    i dont even know if he's honestly better than maxey

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited July 2022
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

lol what

so you would rather have harden on your team than...
    steph? luka? ja? trae? lamelo? dame?
    i dont even know if he's honestly better than maxey

No
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Edit: And yes, he's better than Maxey

Inquisitor77 on