As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    dang, the newborn's "night" is apparently from like 4am until sometime mid morning

during our bedtime we were feeding/soothing/holding basically every 45 minutes, she was not a fan of laying in the bassinet

but you know, not even two days old yet, hopping we can settle in to a better routine soon

the 18mo is being very sweet and not even too jealous (though it helps that Nana is here to help and shower attention)

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    @Aioua
    We had similar gaps and I'll say this: the first 2-3 years are rough, mostly from a logistics standpoint. After that has been magical as our kids love playing together and we can basically tell them to buzz off and they'll be fine for hours.

schuss wrote: »
    Aioua
    We had similar gaps and I'll say this: the first 2-3 years are rough, mostly from a logistics standpoint. After that has been magical as our kids love playing together and we can basically tell them to buzz off and they'll be fine for hours.

Yeah we knew (know, will continue to discover) that the early years here will be rough, but figured that we weren't getting any younger either.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    edited July 2022

just every feeding since 2pm

can't be put down without screaming
    will fall asleep in my wife's arms while feeding but the moment she's anywhere else it's wide awake and demanding more boob

None of my soothing techniques get her sleepy, at least with the last baby if you were having trouble getting her down it felt like you almost made it

this one is just MAD all night

Aioua on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have a question asking for a friend.

Say you live in an apartment and hypothetically you can have either of: bathtub, washing machine. But you can’t have both. There is a bookable washing room in the basement.

What in your opinion is more important for the first couple of years, from having a newborn up to maybe 2-3 years old? My gut says washing machine.

PSN: Honkalot
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I have a question asking for a friend.

Say you live in an apartment and hypothetically you can have either of: bathtub, washing machine. But you can’t have both. There is a bookable washing room in the basement.

What in your opinion is more important for the first couple of years, from having a newborn up to maybe 2-3 years old? My gut says washing machine.

Washing machine.

I cannot stress this enough. Also a dryer.

We currently don't have a bathtub, but sans washing machine this would be unmanageable.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we dont' have a bathtub at all.

we bathed the baby in the sink, a portable table top tub, we took showers with her. she takes showers now.

You can still clean the child without the bathtub.

You cannot clean the shit and vomit covered bedclothes at a bookable washroom in an apartment complex at 2am. I mean, you might be able to, but that sounds like hell to try to navigate while exhausted.

Get the washer.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    So I hear from friends and aquaintances that have kids similar in age to ours, that they both work full-time from home, and don't have daycare. How do they do it? My wife doesn't work and looks after our kid and that's basically a full-time job.

Are they bad parents or bad workers? Or is there some secret to keeping your kid occupied during meetings that we don't know about.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TV. Videos.

Honestly the only way we kept Ellie going during our lockdown last year was that she watched videos, did some reading eggs, and we would take longer breaks at different times.

Ecco would actually take his hour lunch and do things with her, then make food and go back to work.

You can do it. We did do it.

I can't say that we would do it again full time if we can avoid it. I can't say that it was good for any of our mental health.

But we did it

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

will fall asleep in my wife's arms while feeding but the moment she's anywhere else it's wide awake and demanding more boob

None of my soothing techniques get her sleepy, at least with the last baby if you were having trouble getting her down it felt like you almost made it

Have you tried supplementing? We had the same issues, but it turns out they were just hungry and my wife's milk production wasn't quite up to it. We never supplemented with our son and he just cluster-fed constantly, whereas with our daughter we were able to get to satiation.

schuss wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

Have you tried supplementing? We had the same issues, but it turns out they were just hungry and my wife's milk production wasn't quite up to it. We never supplemented with our son and he just cluster-fed constantly, whereas with our daughter we were able to get to satiation.

Yeah we might. We did with the first baby but so far breastfeeding has seemed far smoother and I'm pretty sure she's producing enough, at least in the last day. Kiddo peed like 8 times yesterday so she's getting something for sure.

We'll see how it goes tonight i guess, since milk should be almost fully in at this point.

I can report that the babb finally ran out of steam at 1, we had to wake her up after 3 hours for another feeding, and she was still plenty tired and went down right after that giving us another 2.5 until the sun came up.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My three year old is going through an extremely clingy phase.

All morning some part of him has been touching me. Constantly clambering over me.

Burst in to tears when I dropped him off a nursery.

Won't do anything by himself. Up until about two weeks ago we could get some quiet time when he watched his tablet, now it's just constant begging for attention.

I love playing with him but I could do with a break now and then!

We're about to enter a horrific heatwave so it's too warm to do anything outside.

I'm exhausted.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    You cannot clean the shit and vomit covered bedclothes at a bookable washroom in an apartment complex at 2am. I mean, you might be able to, but that sounds like hell to try to navigate while exhausted.

To add to that thought: at 2am when you are also feeling like you're going to shit/vomit because the whole family caught some bug.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    One and a half year old gets his first COVID vaccine shot tomorrow. I absolutely hate that there's a little lingering "am I doing the right thing?" that has just kind of leaked into my brain because of the way everything is.

I know we're doing the right thing! I know vaccines work! He already had COVID at 11 months and it was awful! This is the best thing we can do to protect him since no one is wearing a mask anymore!

Hoping it doesn't completely clobber him. It's a series of 3 shots, and the final one is the DAY before his first flight. I'm really hoping that the first one is the worst, and because he's had it already its not going to be that bad...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    mxmarks wrote: »
    One and a half year old gets his first COVID vaccine shot tomorrow. I absolutely hate that there's a little lingering "am I doing the right thing?" that has just kind of leaked into my brain because of the way everything is.

I know we're doing the right thing! I know vaccines work! He already had COVID at 11 months and it was awful! This is the best thing we can do to protect him since no one is wearing a mask anymore!

Hoping it doesn't completely clobber him. It's a series of 3 shots, and the final one is the DAY before his first flight. I'm really hoping that the first one is the worst, and because he's had it already its not going to be that bad...

If it helps our 2.5 year old got her first COVID shot last Friday and had zero reaction to it.

Kane Red Robe on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My 4-year old got his first shot last Sunday. Half way there!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    So happy you folks with little ones are finally able to get some protection for them. I know it must have been really sucky, even if the odds are low of a severe outcome.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

If it helps out 2.5 year old got her first COVID shot last Friday and had zero reaction to it.

Similar situation here. 3.5 year old, first shot on Friday, was only a little extra cranky on Saturday but that's because she is also fighting naps and still occasionally needs them on the weekends. Sunday we went to the zoo with a friend and the two kids were so active that our friend's daughter passed out on the drive home and our daughter was asleep within 5 minutes of laying down for bed that night. No complaints of arm pain.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    dennis wrote: »

To add to that thought: at 2am when you are also feeling like you're going to shit/vomit because the whole family caught some bug.

😬

Thanks for the tips, I will make sure to uh tell my FRIEND about it.

PSN: Honkalot
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Watched my son suck the pizza sauce out of the packet they give you with the Lunchables and then last night wouldn't eat my homemade lasagna because he doesn't like red sauce.
    dennis wrote: »
    So happy you folks with little ones are finally able to get some protection for them. I know it must have been really sucky, even if the odds are low of a severe outcome.

Still waiting, Up North. But soon, I hope. Just knowing it exists is something.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I’ve got the baby at my MIL’s house right now to give the wife a break for a few days.

Right now MIL is feeding her some solid food, and the baby is throwing her spoons off the side of the high chair. It’s not helping that every time she does it I laugh for a good minute, and the girl looks directly at me and smiles every time she does it. Kid knows how to carry an audience already.

I’m probably going to regret the laughing in the future.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Nah, they throw things as part of their development in learning how the world works. The fact that you laughed is just a bonus for them.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Came back from our family trip away to the Great Wolf Lodge. It was.. fine? Mostly just good to be able to afford our very first vacation on our own, so it was really nice for that.

But I'm not going back to work until Monday so I can catch up on some sleep. No matter how much time she spent in the wave pool and everywhere else, the kid is just unlimited energy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Came back from our family trip away to the Great Wolf Lodge. It was.. fine? Mostly just good to be able to afford our very first vacation on our own, so it was really nice for that.

But I'm not going back to work until Monday so I can catch up on some sleep. No matter how much time she spent in the wave pool and everywhere else, the kid is just unlimited energy.

Yeah I'm not sure when the "unlimited energy" thing kicked in, but it has. I get people telling me after she's been out swimming or biking or running around or whatever, "oh yeah, this will wear her out and she'll sleep well tonight!"

lol no, that is not how this child works

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    We keep trying to get her tired.

We keep failing.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The kids are playing Just Dance and the 12 year old is getting absolutely bodied by her 3 year old brother. The 3 year old is just playing Lego with a Joycon attached to his wrist

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    We keep trying to get her tired.

We keep failing.

I find the only thing that tires my kids out is there being WAY too much sun while they play. Then they will sleep hard, even if they will still play all the way to bedtime.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    We made an NPR baby.

My daughter will only sleep in the car if you have something that’s mostly talk on, like NPR or an audiobook.

Currently going to my nephew’s birthday party and my wife put a romantic audiobook on when the kid wouldn’t sleep. Less than 2 minutes afterwards, she was out.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    We made an NPR baby.

My daughter will only sleep in the car if you have something that’s mostly talk on, like NPR or an audiobook.

Currently going to my nephew’s birthday party and my wife put a romantic audiobook on when the kid wouldn’t sleep. Less than 2 minutes afterwards, she was out.

All thing considered, that’s great.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    We made an NPR baby.

*squinty eyes*

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I would like an NPR baby. Instead I have an acceleration baby: provided the car is diesel powered and moving, he's happy. Otherwise: end of the world screaming.

We basically can't take him anywhere in the Prius.

Thank you for reminding me to get out the audiobook for the road trip this weekend.

We've been working our way through a book called "The Land of Roar" over the last few trips. It's a good chapter book with good narration and we'll written kids. I think this trip might just get us to the end of the book.

So I'll have to find another one

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I would like an NPR baby. Instead I have an acceleration baby: provided the car is diesel powered and moving, he's happy. Otherwise: end of the world screaming.

We basically can't take him anywhere in the Prius.

I'm on the opposite end here, we got an electric just before we had our first and it's pretty much all she has ever known, but she loves it. Out like a light as soon as we get moving.

We want to sell our other current gas powered car, which is a two door convertible and totally impractical for anything baby related, but given the wait times on pretty much anything new we are finding ourselves in a bind.

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    edited July 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    We made an NPR baby.

*squinty eyes*

https://youtu.be/u5MKiTdWo4E

Welcome, to all things considered.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I should be proud that my critter loves Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, and I am, but I am also Oh Lawdy level tired of Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I should be proud that my critter loves Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, and I am, but I am also Oh Lawdy level tired of Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride.

I've been teaching my daughter Robot Turtle, and it has been interesting. I'm trying to come up with a way to help her with not being able to see the full path through a problem and then deciding it can't be done though. Which also, she's 4, so I'm also not trying to push anything too hard.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • mike9199mike9199 Registered User regular
    My daughter is 2 years old. She is very smart and cute when she is in a good mood. Recently she started to have a lot of bad mood and that's really difficult. She screams and cries without any reasons.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Oh, there’s a reason. She’s 2 and her brain is still developing. It’s kind of what they do.

Enjoy the ride.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Could be the sleep too, how are their bedtimes and naps? When our kid gets a little behind it's like a different person. I'm talking several days of 10-15" later bedtimes makes a noticeable change.

Either way it is hard and we've been there, and empathize with you.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So yesterday we went to the zoo and its adjoining amusement park. It was cloudy, then raining, then borderline storming as 4yo went on the carousel. Whatever, no lineups is great. The teen girl running the carousel comes up to me as I sit her down and explains "the storm is getting worse, we can start the ride but if we hear thunder I'll have to stop it, so you might have only half a ride." I acknowledge the warning and say "you're the boss."

She just stared at me in visible confusion for a second, and said "Wow that's not the reaction I was expecting. People are usually mad at me when I say that."

Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with people that getting angry at safety warnings for our kids has become so commonplace that not getting upset is a surprise?

sig.gif