As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lotta Years

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Lotta Years!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lotta Years

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What board game are they playing there?

Asking for a friend, who wants a Drillship, who is me.

• GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    I suspect it's something they made up for the strip.

They should totally make it up for the shop too...

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    V1m wrote: »

I wish I could say it was Man O' War, but Games Workshop killed that decades ago.

YoungFrey on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

In the newspost Jerry mentions the game, it is Armada. Which is based on a game called Black Sails.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Okay so the Skull and Bones trailer is apparently... bad, somehow?

I watched the first few minutes and the graphics look great to me. The gameplay may not be my style but I didn't see any immediate red flags. What are the complaints, exactly?

Powers &8^]

• beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    Yeah like what's the big deal? Game looks... reasonable?

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »
    Okay so the Skull and Bones trailer is apparently... bad, somehow?

I watched the first few minutes and the graphics look great to me. The gameplay may not be my style but I didn't see any immediate red flags. What are the complaints, exactly?

It probably helps to read the youtube comments on the video (probably the first and only time I'll post that).

"This actually had my attention until I looked more into it, mostly ship battles, no on foot exploring of land or melee combat."

"The compelling gameplay @2:57 of your crew standing around deck while you harvest some coconuts by sailing your ship right next to the tree? Priceless."

"Amazing. They created a pirate game and made it sound like a checklist. There is clearly no melee fighting, only going out of ships is for minor ports, it's Warships: The Pirate edition."

"All we wanted was Assassin's Creed 4 without the assassins. How hard was that to understand Ubisoft? We wanted to be pirates, not oversized boats."

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Now if those giant boats turned into sexy ladies...

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    It probably helps to read the youtube comments on the video (probably the first and only time I'll post that).

Interesting. Sure, ship combat isn't for everyone, but does that make the game bad, per se? I dunno, I guess it's just not obvious to me.

Then again, my current games are EverQuest II, Star Trek Online, and Star Wars Galaxies so maybe my standards aren't very high. Or up to date.

Powers &8^]

Interesting. Sure, ship combat isn't for everyone, but does that make the game bad, per se? I dunno, I guess it's just not obvious to me

Yeah, if you were looking for a ship combat simulator, maybe it's exactly what you're looking for. But for the people who find that boring, it does make it bad. For them.

• Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    Eh, all I know of this game is that i remember seeing a trailer for it before a YouTube that I couldn't skip because both my hands were busy, and it didn't seems "bad" in any ways. It just didn't seems good or interesting either. My sole opinion after seeing it was basically "it's a thing that exists. I don't know if it was just that specific trailer, but they just kinda made it sound boring.

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Why would it be called skull and bones if you don’t do any piratey stuff?

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Because it's a conspiracy

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Interesting. Sure, ship combat isn't for everyone, but does that make the game bad, per se? I dunno, I guess it's just not obvious to me

Yeah, if you were looking for a ship combat simulator, maybe it's exactly what you're looking for. But for the people who find that boring, it does make it bad. For them.

I don't think that's it. Black Flag included great ship combat, boarding actions, walking around on your ship, customizing a character, land exploration, whaling, etc.

This game has dropped all of the above things except ship combat. In fact, completely dumping the really fun ship boarding for an animation is probably my biggest complaint.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't think that's it. Black Flag included great ship combat, boarding actions, walking around on your ship, customizing a character, land exploration, whaling, etc.

This game has dropped all of the above things except ship combat. In fact, completely dumping the really fun ship boarding for an animation is probably my biggest complaint.

Maybe my meaning would have been more clear if I'd said "if you were looking for just a ship combat simulator" etc.