As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think that one's called "Pleather for Breakfast." It's pretty great.

The great thing about Bad Girl is appropriate her name is. The concept art really doesn't do her personality justice, since she may very well be the most degenerate Assassin in the game.

Also, "The virgin child makes her wish without feeling anything" is a legitimately great crooner song, which sort of cements my feeling that Suda51 is a bonafide genius, since he wrote it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So was anyone else as crazy as I'm being?

I've gotten all the balls, opened every dumpster (I think I missed one, since I'm missing shirt 90), bought everything (except for all the t-shirts) available thus far, and dug up all the buried treasure.

I'm still rank 8.

Jragghen on
    edited February 2008
    No.

I didn't get all the Lovikov upgrades until about Rank 4. The way I ended up playing the game was that whenever I was driving somewhere and I spotted a suspicious locale, I'd pull over and 9 times out of 10 I'd get a dumpster or a ball out of it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm rank two, and I've only found a sum total of twenty Lovikov balls.

Oats on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I beat the game with only 3 of the techniques. I also have maybe thirty shirts, and none of them bought.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited February 2008
    I think it's definitely beneficial to get all the Lovikov balls, and only two are all that out of the way (they're located at the extreme north and south ends of the map). All the rest are pretty much scattered across paths you have to take anyway. The only abilites I think aren't all that necessary would be the one that lets you go into darkside mode longer, and the "jumping down slash" ability, which I think is just an added flourish to your deathstrikes. But all of the others have definite bonuses. If you're really dedicated to getting them, you need to get the Dash ability first.

I bought a lot of shirts, but once I got the Glaston 1 shirt, I knew I'd never need another.

Also, the Fuji jacket is win.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited February 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    I think it's definitely beneficial to get all the Lovikov balls, and only two are all that out of the way (they're located at the extreme north and south ends of the map). All the rest are pretty much scattered across paths you have to take anyway. The only abilites I think aren't all that necessary would be the one that lets you go into darkside mode longer, and the "jumping down slash" ability, which I think is just an added flourish to your deathstrikes. But all of the others have definite bonuses. If you're really dedicated to getting them, you need to get the Dash ability first.

I bought a lot of shirts, but once I got the Glaston 1 shirt, I knew I'd never need another.

Also, the Fuji jacket is win.

Nah, get the one that gives you a bigger bonus first. Makes grinding for the next rank easier. Then Dash. Then probably Jumping Slash. Then Grab.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm, I can agree with that I suppose. Then again, when you first start getting these abilities, griding for Rank matches is not at all difficult. It's not until you get around #5 that it starts taking forever.

Until you get to around #3. Then you get Gamble Fight.

What's everyone's record for Gamble Fight? I've gotten to 89, but I've heard of folks somehow getting 120, 130 kills, which seems to defy even the spawning rate of the enemies themselves.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm, I can agree with that I suppose. Then again, when you first start getting these abilities, griding for Rank matches is not at all difficult. It's not until you get around #5 that it starts taking forever.

What's everyone's record for Gamble Fight? I've gotten to 89, but I've heard of folks somehow getting 120, 130 kills, which seems to defy even the spawning rate of the enemies themselves.

Heh, mine is 119.

Mark Two obviously. It's very dependent on how many right and left deathblows you get.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had something like 9 balls before the bar even opened, so I'm of the mind that the order doesn't really matter; no matter what, it won't take long to get them all.

And my personal best is 107, with a mode in the low 90's.

Cervetus on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I managed 94 kills in that mission I think, 120 seems a bit high considering how slow they respawn after a mass kill, which seems to be the most effective way to take them out....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was too busy with the actual fight to pay much attention to what Travis was saying. :(

DouglasDanger on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My best is about 94 on Mild and about 73 on bitter.

Unearthly Stew on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I've gotten 90-odd with the Mk3. I figure I could bump that number up to 100-odd if I shelled out the one miiiiiilion dollars for the "never run out of energy" upgrade.

Daedalus on
    edited February 2008
    The MK II is much better at the Gamble Fight. My record with the Mark III is like 94ish, while I'm at 119 with the MK II.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The MK II is much better at the Gamble Fight. My record with the Mark III is like 94ish, while I'm at 119 with the MK II.

That depends too. If we could figure out how to do the jumping-head-lop-off attack that you can do with the Mk. III I'm sure the number would be higher.

Unearthly Stew on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It seems to have a wider arc for the left and right deathblows, which can rack up a ton of kills if you get the goons all mobbed up.

DouglasDanger on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm now #8. That was an awesome fight.
    Attempt #1 - Wow. She kicked my ass.
    Attempt #4 - Ha ha! I got you down to one sliver of health! Prepare to die! Sonic sword? Pfft, whatever. I can dodge that shit. Wait, 8 more sonic swords? FUCK.
    Attempt #6 - You're down to one sliver, but I'm at 90% health. I dodge your sonic swords. This will be a piece of cake. I close in for the kill. Oh shit, I didn't dodge that attack. Wait. This combo has it's own cutscene? And it completely killed me? DAAAAAMN.
    Attempt #8 - Victory!

AnakinOU on
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well I took your advice and picked this game up. I just became #10 and I'm loving it. It reminds me of Shaun of the Dead and (sequel-esque cop movie whose name I'm blanking on) where you need a whole lot of love of the medium to be able to hold to the style while at the same time be completely off-the-wall mocking of the style.

One question: is it safe to play through blind, or is there any way I can inadvertently screw myself over doen the line or something? I'm too used to RPGs or Fire Emblem-esque games where you need to start planning now for something much later you don't know about.

bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruceski wrote: »
    One question: is it safe to play through blind, or is there any way I can inadvertently screw myself over doen the line or something? I'm too used to RPGs or Fire Emblem-esque games where you need to start planning now for something much later you don't know about.
    There are 5 collectable cards in each level. Get them. You can't go back and get them again. The NewGame+ has different cards to collect.

Cucco Leader on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like this game and everything, but holy shit does the motorcycle driving suck. I managed to get it stuck in the motel lot, requiring me to reload a previous save. The collision detection totally sucks. I know that the driving isn't what this game is about, but its just so, so sloppy. I really wasn't expecting to see such garbage on a full-priced game.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That depends too. If we could figure out how to do the jumping-head-lop-off attack that you can do with the Mk. III I'm sure the number would be higher.

Yeah, seriously, how DO you do that?
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Attempt #4 - Ha ha! I got you down to one sliver of health! Prepare to die! Sonic sword? Pfft, whatever. I can dodge that shit. Wait, 8 more sonic swords? FUCK.
    Attempt #6 - You're down to one sliver, but I'm at 90% health. I dodge your sonic swords. This will be a piece of cake. I close in for the kill. Oh shit, I didn't dodge that attack. Wait. This combo has it's own cutscene? And it completely killed me? DAAAAAMN.
    Attempt #8 - Victory!
    The most recent thing I've done is beat Shinobu on Bitter. With the Blood Berry. Talk about intense.
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I like this game and everything, but holy shit does the motorcycle driving suck. I managed to get it stuck in the motel lot, requiring me to reload a previous save. The collision detection totally sucks. I know that the driving isn't what this game is about, but its just so, so sloppy. I really wasn't expecting to see such garbage on a full-priced game.

That part really does suck, but to get your bike back you can just run a suitable distance and press 1 to have your friend drive it to you.

Cervetus on
  • BassEXEBassEXE Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've got all the lovikov balls except 1. There are no more pink dots on my map, I even dug up all the stupid treasures to be sure. Is there a ball in a place not listed on the map?

BassEXE on
    Brawl Code: 2320-5815-3644
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BassEXE wrote: »
    So I've got all the lovikov balls except 1. There are no more pink dots on my map, I even dug up all the stupid treasures to be sure. Is there a ball in a place not listed on the map?

I think someone mentioned that the L-Balls on the radar sometimes are hiding underneath some of the location icons.. I think one LBall that people miss is hidden somewhere around the motel.

slash000 on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Gihgehls wrote: »

That part really does suck, but to get your bike back you can just run a suitable distance and press 1 to have your friend drive it to you.

Wheelie burnouts usually help, too, if you're stuck in such a way that you can't get off the bike.

Daedalus on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Attempt #8 - Victory!

I'm kind of going through the same thing with #2, except things were more bullshittier.

My Name Is Luke on
    edited February 2008
    #2 is a joke. I let *spoiler* OHKO me to see what it did. Beat *spoiler* in the second try taking maybe three hits.

Pay attention when *spoiler* falls to the ground. If *spoiler* has *spoiler* hand on the *spoiler*, *spoiler* going for OHKO, and you should charge a low slash to hit *spoiler* when *spoiler* stands and says fuck. Does a ton of damage. If *spoiler* hand isn't on the *spoiler*, then *spoiler*'s actually crying and can be wailed upon.

When *spoiler* is doing *spoiler* other specialty move, back up on the wall closest to *spoiler*. When *spoiler* *thing* pops up you can guide *thing* into standing right in front of *spoiler*, and when you *dosomething* to *thing* *spoiler*'ll take another big chunk of damage.

When *spoiler* swings *spoiler* *spoiler* without abandon I find it best just to block. I know it seems like forever but *spoiler* will eventually run out of gas. Trying to ninja dodge or circle strafe it just doesn't work out too well, as the knockback and vision blur from being hit by that is totally not worth it.

Flaming *spoiler* just means *spoiler* has a shockwave. Shockwaves are no big deal by now. Just find the edge of the circle and be outside it. Then dash in and see what you can do.

I find #2 ridiculously easy to throw. I guess this is early payment for the fact that the next boss can't be thrown.

EDITED FOR SPOILERS

Seriously, she is in all the promotional material! Fighting her shouldn't be a spoiler! Same thing with a certain someone in the Manual!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    BassEXE wrote: »

I think someone mentioned that the L-Balls on the radar sometimes are hiding underneath some of the location icons.. I think one LBall that people miss is hidden somewhere around the motel.

This happened to me. The best way to remedy it is activate a mission or job so all the icons disappear from the map and you can see where it is.

bruin on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Boss #5 and #1:
    Was anybody else disappointed that you never get to fight Letz Shake or Dark Star? The best part about this game (gameplay anyway) is the boss fights, and seeing these bad looking dudes just bite it before you even get to swing feels like they just took a cool fight away from you. For Letz Shake it made sense because it introduced (and consequently made you hate) Henry, but Dark Star just dropped for no reason. You could have easily fought him and then have Jeane come out afterwards. Edit: Oh and also I didn't like the Jeane fight very much.

I was really hoping that there would be a way to unlock these fights and actually fight the guys. Also I was hoping for a rematch against Shinobu with a mean robot arm or something... but oh well. I still had a blast!

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Krentz wrote: »
    Boss #5 and #1:
    Was anybody else disappointed that you never get to fight Letz Shake or Dark Star? The best part about this game (gameplay anyway) is the boss fights, and seeing these bad looking dudes just bite it before you even get to swing feels like they just took a cool fight away from you. For Letz Shake it made sense because it introduced (and consequently made you hate) Henry, but Dark Star just dropped for no reason. You could have easily fought him and then have Jeane come out afterwards. Edit: Oh and also I didn't like the Jeane fight very much.

I was really hoping that there would be a way to unlock these fights and actually fight the guys. Also I was hoping for a rematch against Shinobu with a mean robot arm or something... but oh well. I still had a blast!
    No reason? The reason, especially in the case of #5, was to mock video game conventions. Which is basically what the whole point of the game is. If you don't like it you don't like NMH, at least as much as you could.

bruin on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm still rank 8, and addicted to the sound of Lolikov Balls, singing sweetly in the night...

That, and here in the Real World, there needs to be more dumpsters full of money. And T-shirts. But mostly money.

AnakinOU on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    Boss #5 and #1:

No reason? The reason, especially in the case of #5, was to mock video game conventions. Which is basically what the whole point of the game is. If you don't like it you don't like NMH, at least as much as you could.
    That's all well and good but the problem with Jeane is that they forgot to make her boss fight fun. Dark Star and his giant electric dragon whip would have been awesome. Instead they gave us arguably the least fun fight in the game, and I mean that. I would have rather fought Death Metal as the last boss for chrissakes.

Clint Eastwood on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    Boss #5 and #1:

That's all well and good but the problem with Jeane is that they forgot to make her boss fight fun. Dark Star and his giant electric dragon whip would have been awesome. Instead they gave us arguably the least fun fight in the game, and I mean that. I would have rather fought Death Metal as the last boss for chrissakes.
    She's an difficult endgame boss fight who shows up with all sorts of backstory that's introduced solely so that the game can have a huge epic twist ending.
    I was laughing too damn hard to care how not fun it was. By that point, I just HAD to see what kind of shit Suda would throw at me.

l337CrappyJack on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Boss #5 and #1:
    They were good scenes and I enjoyed the game from start to finish. I'm just saying I would have liked a chance to pit my sword against Letz Shake's big machine or Dark Star's dragon whip at some point. If they left the whole game intact and added a "Boss Rush Mode" like some people said, that would be a perfect chance to fight them. I just can't help but feel gypped out of what looked like 2 very sweet fights.

Plus Cyborg Shinobu. How awesome would that be?

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Boss #5 and #1:
    They were good scenes and I enjoyed the game from start to finish. I'm just saying I would have liked a chance to pit my sword against Letz Shake's big machine or Dark Star's dragon whip at some point. If they left the whole game intact and added a "Boss Rush Mode" like some people said, that would be a perfect chance to fight them. I just can't help but feel gypped out of what looked like 2 very sweet fights.

Plus Cyborg Shinobu. How awesome would that be?
    I liked what they did with Letz Shake. I was honestly expecting something like it for the entire game, since Gasshopper had lots of unconventional boss fights in killer7. Plus, it made the whole encounter even more hilarious and insane.

As for Dark Star, I could go either way. On the one hand, I think fighting a huge, mustachioed Darth Vader clone with a dragon sword could have been fun. On the other hand, I got a huge kick out of Jeane's character, even though the fight seemed less than inspired.

I beat #2 on Game+ last night. Man, whoever talked about hitting her with a low stance charge when comes out of her feint wasn't kidding. That's brutally effective. She's ridiculously easy to bait into attacking you, though, and her attacks are so stinking slow that you're really in no danger of ever being hit by 80% of them as long as you aren't dicking around.

And she still managed to get be down to 1/4 health and a C Ranking for damage, thanks to
    Her home run attack. I only got the timing down on that move about 50% of the time. On the bright side, I managed to hit her with an overcharged downward deathblow when killing her henchman/projectile.

Couple questions:

1.) Regarding #2, what happens if you get hit by her charging attack? I never did, so I always wondered what it actually was.

2.) This has been bugging me for some time now. It's happened most prominently in Gamble Fight, since I'm basically in a perpetual state of button mashery there. Sometimes when I come out of an overcharged deathblow, my sword stays charged and I'll jump forward and take another guy out with it. The camera goes kinda wonky when this happens, and it's totally rad. Anyone know what this is?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In regards to your #1), are you talking about where she looks like she's getting ready to hit a baseball? That's one of those "attack and she'll counter attack you" deals, but you can dodge her counter pretty easy and land a few hits on her.

Fugitive on
    edited February 2008
    Yes I was. And I checked GameFAQs, and it had the answer to #2. It's a really convoluted trick involving parrying.

Also, holy crap, I GameFAQs also had this, which I didn't get at all: the Lovikov techniques are all Killer7 references. Aside from there being seven of them, and each requiring seven balls, there's also this:

Memory of Three- Garcian. It displays the position of enemies, because of his scan ability.
    It also references his three eyes.

Memory of Demon- Dan. He possessed the Demon shot ability, as well as the Demon Gun. This is a super powerful and brutal attack.

Memory of Child- Con. He could dash. This ability lets you dash as well.

Memory of Woman- Kaede. This could reference the fountains of blood which activate Dark Side mode, reminiscent of her cutting her wrists.

Memory of Mask- Mask. Improves your wrestling prowess.

Memory of Tattoo- Must be Coyote. I guess he had tattoos. He was also a thief, and this ability gets you more money.

Memory of White- Kevin, the albino. The jumping down attack is reminiscent of his downward kill move.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had a feeling that the Lovikov techniques were Killer7 references, I just hadn't put it together. Those all make very good sense.

Also, the balls themselves; collecting 7 of them, the fact that they are about the same size and color of, and including the overall nature of the game, is a reference to Dragon Ball.

slash000 on
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I just got this game and it's amazing. People on the fence ought to make the jump, it's totally worth it. The saving sequence alone is priceless.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would kill for a wallpaper of
    The shot after #2 dies, with her lying on top of Travis and the katana sticking through her chest and blood everywhere.

elevature on
This discussion has been closed.