As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2022
    D: is for D: ata

Anyway I guess the lesson of the day is that Onedrive and the Office apps, and anything cloud that microsoft touches, is very bad.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Using the [code] tag will preempt emojis

For example,
    C:\Users\Honk\
    C:\Users\Honk\Onedrive
    D:\Onedrive-(Company)\
    D:\Onedrive-Dept\

It will            also allow you to specifically dictate word distance
               on the off chance
    that you
                                                              ever need to do that

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if I should do Win 10 or 11 on my new build. I think longer term, like 2023, it will definitely be Windows 11. But what about today?
    Factoring into my decision is that my new cpu is intel 12th gen with those "P" and "E" cores which apparently windows 11 knows how to deal with. But then when I look at benchmarks comparing win10 vs 11, often times windows 10 has better performance. I assume this is a temporary thing and will get better with patches and stuff.

What do you guys think? Windows 10 for now and then upgrade later, or jump straight to windows 11?

Brand new build/install, unless there is some legacy thing that got broken, I would use 11.

I have been on 11 since release and everything really does seem fine. 11 seems to be much better at dealing with HDR if you have a monitor/gpu combo that provides that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if I should do Win 10 or 11 on my new build. I think longer term, like 2023, it will definitely be Windows 11. But what about today?
    Factoring into my decision is that my new cpu is intel 12th gen with those "P" and "E" cores which apparently windows 11 knows how to deal with. But then when I look at benchmarks comparing win10 vs 11, often times windows 10 has better performance. I assume this is a temporary thing and will get better with patches and stuff.

What do you guys think? Windows 10 for now and then upgrade later, or jump straight to windows 11?

Personal opinion: Windows 11 is fine. There are some things it does better than Windows 10, and some things it does worse. I just upgraded my hardware and wasn't afraid to jump to Windows 11 on it. Do a couple things about 11 drive me nuts? Yes. Are those things enough to make me say Windows 11 is unusable? No. There are also things about Windows 10 that drive me nuts too. Neither is perfect. I went to 11 partly because it is the new shiny (and also I have been using it on my laptop for almost a year) and partly because I didn't want to have to deal with the upgrade down the line.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Another W11 user here that thinks it's fine. Older MSI gaming laptop.

The weird thing for me was that I guess 11 didn't let you put the taskbar on the top anymore? Had to do a registry hack to enable.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They finally added a clock to monitors other than your primary so it's actually usable now.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies!

At this point I think I'm going WIndows 11. The 12th gen intel interaction with windows 11 is really what pushes my decision over the edge. Also, based on what most people are saying windows 11 isn't broken so I don't really have anything to lose by using it. Any UI annoyances can eventually be overcome (hopefully).

• Options
    So, I splurged and picked up something I've been wanting for a while. I've heard nothing but bad things about Windows on ARM (WOA), and really wanted to try it, but every computer was a premium computer so I wasn't willing to drop $1000+ to play with something.

Well, last week Best Buy had a Galaxy Book Go open box model on sale for about $225. (Canadian dollars, works out to about $175 USD) so I figured what the hell. Try it, worst case I return it.

The Galaxy Book Go runs a Snapdragon 7c Gen 2, has 4GB of RAM, and has 128GB of eUFS storage, so not as as slow as eMMC storage, but not super super fast.

I've used it exclusively for 5 days, and I have no idea what to think. In some ways, this thing is held back by some of the other hardware choices. 4GB of RAM really isn't enough nowadays. The screen on the laptop is the worst I've seen in a long time, and the build quality isn't great, but considering the price, fine.

How is Windows itself, accounting for the low amount of RAM? Sticking with ARM optimized apps, it's... fine? Edge runs about as well as Edge would run on any Windows laptop with 4GB of RAM. it honestly works fine. Any ARM compiled app will run about as well as you might expect on a low end Windows laptop with a Core i3 or something. I wrote a 1000 word thing in Word on it, and it was fine, since the office suite is compiled for ARM.

But my god, as soon as you get outside of ARM optimized apps, it all starts to fall apart. I installed Affinity Photo, which is an x64 apps that runs in emulation on Windows 11 ARM. on my Ryzen 5900X desktop it loads in about 3-4 seconds. on my 2017 era Dell XPS 13 with a Core i5 8250U, it loads in about 10-15 seconds.

on the Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 laptop... Affinity photo was loaded and usable in 84 seconds. almost a minute and a half to launch.

And the incompleteness of Windows on ARM is.... a problem. Windows on ARM has existed since 2019, and the Microsoft App Store is till an x86 application that needs to run in emulation. Just last week microsoft put an ARM version of the store in the insider preview beta channel, so I moved the laptop to that and yea, the store loads faster than it did before.

Battery life: just web browsing and I'm looking at maybe 12-13 hours, so really good, but is it worth getting an extra 2-3 hours of battery life on Windows on ARM when the app situation is such garbage? Probably not.

tldr: Windows on ARM is an interesting beast. If you live exclusively in ARM based apps, the few that there are, it works as well as any $400-$500 laptop with a Core i3 would work. But the second you want to do something outside of the ARM app ecosystem, the whole thing falls apart.

I'm probably going to keep it as a test machine, since it's pretty inexpensive and I can use it as a spare laptop when the significant other needs to borrow my better one to do her side hustle. But can I recommend Windows on ARM to anyone who isn't a complete technology nerd? Nope.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I've used Windows on ARM in Parallels on my M1 MacBook to play some Windows games, and I was shocked by how well everything seemed to run. In this configuration it's using Microsoft's Intel translation layer instead of Apple's, and some stuff has way better performance than running through Rosetta in a macOS version of Wine. Like, games are running through a translation layer for the CPU instructions and the GPU instructions on top of running in a VM, so it's not the best performance ever, but lots of stuff is quite playable; way better than I would have expected.

I think once we see Windows on ARM officially running on really performant hardware, that's when the value proposition is going to start making more sense.

• Options
    Playing more with this Chromebook, I think that there's just some really poor optimization in the read/write performance somewhere in the stack, especially on emulated apps. I'm not sure if that's a driver issue with the memory controller on the snapdragon chipsets, or just something in the way that Windows handles I/O that is bad. When I open apps the system is basically running idle. CPU usage is low, RAM usage isn't spiking, the disk is running idle. I really think there's an issue in the emulation bits not being able to read data of the drive at any speed.

Once an app gets running it's fine. I talked about it taking almost 90 seconds to start Affinity Photo but once it gets running it runs well enough.

It's a really confusing situation.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Wife's HP laptop installed update kb5014697 (22000.739). Now it bluescreens upon boot. I can only successfully make it into safe mode maybe 1 out of 3 tries. I've tried uninstalling the update but it reinstalls itself when I reboot. Le sigh. I work with technology every day. I hate technology.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Bios update?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Anyone know a simple, free program to stitch two videos together? My mom has been doing some acting and we usually film one-shots but I need to cut two of them together for her this time around.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Just to put them together back-to-front? I've used ffmpeg (command line tool, tonnes of examples on the internet) for stuff like that.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Just to put them together back-to-front? I've used ffmpeg (command line tool, tonnes of examples on the internet) for stuff like that.
    I haven't seen them yet but I think I just need to smash two separate videos together into one file. 1 and 2 into 12 if you will. Maybe trim a little fat off the begining or end if I'm feeling frisky. Incredibly simple stuff, I just don't know what programs are commonly used, never edited a video.

I'll check out ffmpeg asap, meeting my mother after work.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Clipchamp should also work and is built into Windows 11 now and is a free download for Windows 10. It has a paid tier but you won't need that to just stitch two videos together.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Maybe Handbrake too? I know it's focused on ripping DVDs, but I believe it has some minor editing tools.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    It isn't a small, lightweight program, but HitFilm is free and works well. Putting multiple videos together into one file and doing some editing is pretty easy with it, too.
    edit: oh, that was 2 months ago. Whoops.

I have a Windows question about crashes. How is it that when a game or program (usually full screen) crashes, you can get into the situation where you're unable to bring anything else to the foreground? E.g. a game is clearly hung, and I can hit the windows key to see and use the start menu and taskbar, and/or ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager, alt-tab to other programs... except when I let go of alt-tab, or click a program on the taskbar, the hung game is the only visible thing (and thus I can't kill it with task manager). Last night I even tried creating a new desktop, which I was able to do but still could only see the hung game. I don't understand the mechanism. Can anyone explain this or link me to something that does?

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    I have a Windows question about crashes. How is it that when a game or program (usually full screen) crashes, you can get into the situation where you're unable to bring anything else to the foreground? E.g. a game is clearly hung, and I can hit the windows key to see and use the start menu and taskbar, and/or ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager, alt-tab to other programs... except when I let go of alt-tab, or click a program on the taskbar, the hung game is the only visible thing (and thus I can't kill it with task manager). Last night I even tried creating a new desktop, which I was able to do but still could only see the hung game. I don't understand the mechanism. Can anyone explain this or link me to something that does?

One trick that might work is using ctrl+alt+delete to sign out.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    My new laptop has windows 11 and I've basically made every effort to attempt to have it function like Windows 10 because some of the decisions they made with the UI is, at best, baffling.

Regardless, I've got Start11 on to further that.

I have a question though, that doesn't seem to be an option in Win11 as far as I can tell, that was just a default thing in Win10, that Start11 doesn't seem to be able to change, is switching which monitor has the App notification area (I don't know what the actual name is, but on the bottom right by the date/time, with your running apps, volume, wifi, etc). In Win10 I can just drag the taskbar to the second monitor, but here, that doesn't do anything. Since I usually have my primary monitor occupied with a game or whatever, having those on the second monitor is dramatically more useful.

And, more specifically, the "click the bottom corner" to hide your windows is stuck on the main monitor with those, making it much more difficult to just quickly hide things. I'm pretty sure there's a hotkey that will do that, but my brain has been trained to just quickly swipe down to hide things if my son comes wandering by my desk when I'm playing something that isn't particularly kid friendly.

Does anyone know how to resolve this in Windows 11? Is it even possible? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Again, in Win10 it was a simple as just clicking on the taskbar and dragging it to the second monitor, and that's it. That's not an option in Windows 11 as far as I can tell. I've tried to google this, but no matter how I phrase the question, I keep just getting results on making the taskbar hide on second monitors, which isn't what I want, nor do I care about.

Apparently you can downgrade to windows 10, but I'm not ready to take that step unless it's totally necessary. For one, despite the UI stuff that bugs me, most of that is resolvable, and the addition of monitor persistence for multiple monitors, when the inputs switch or are removed, is fantastic and something I've needed for years, but Windows 10 just doesn't have that, so in the past every time I used one of my monitors for a console, when I'd switch back to the PC all my windows would be reset, both their location and sizes, and it was really obnoxious.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    There's not much you can do to change that I don't believe. But if you need to hide all your windows quickly, win+d will do that for you.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The Win D is the quickest, but you can also make separate desktops:

- On the taskbar, select the Task view icon, then select New desktop.
    - Open the apps you want to use on that desktop.
    - To switch to another desktop, select Task view again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I'm not looking to make another desktop though, just move the app notification center to another monitor without changing the primary monitor outright. It is trivial to do in Windows 10 but Windows 11 seems unwilling to do it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    It isn't a small, lightweight program, but HitFilm is free and works well. Putting multiple videos together into one file and doing some editing is pretty easy with it, too.
    edit: oh, that was 2 months ago. Whoops.

Certain exclusive graphics modes can leave a hung always on top window on top no matter what. My nuclear option strategy to avoid reboot / full logging out is to switch to a second account via the lock screen and kill the offending program in an run as administrator task manager, then switch back

Focus changes are still in effect in this state too so if you have task manager running in details and you can manage to select the correct process, delete+enter will kill it after you alt tab to it

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I've hit an annoying problem.

When I'm playing a controller game (wired xb1 controller), every now and again (I'd guess every 3 hours?) my game loses focus and shows desktop as if you pressed win+D, and when I alt-tab back, my controller has stopped working. The light on the controller stays on.
    I can restart the controller by unplug/replug.
    Unfortunately Vampire Survivors sometimes hardlocks when this happens. And that game is 30min runs with 0 autosave.
    I first noticed this behavior about a week ago. When I was in the second week of Gotham Knights. I played through the first ~10h of that game without it, then I'd hit it once or twice an evening.

Running Win10, all up to date.

A problem I'm facing is that you can find a decade worth of various bugs with focus related bugs, which blame everything you can think off. But the combo of 'only happens when playing controller, and kills the controller input' I can't seem to track down.

Edit: Now that I think of it, an interesting complication is that I played a dozen of hours of Apex with the controller plugged in, but never pressing any buttons in this period.
    And it never once showed this behavior.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Try a new port? Then new controller if you can borrow one?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKKcd3sx2c

Windows modern standby and power drain when laptops are unplugged video. Contains some ideas as to the cause of the problem and a work-around. (unplug your laptop before closing the lid to hopefully keep the sleep mode to not stay network connected).

• Options
    So putting a computer to sleep makes the battery drain more than Macs. Which is bad.

But also booting a Windows PC takes like seven seconds so just shut the damn thing down.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So putting a computer to sleep makes the battery drain more than Macs. Which is bad.

But also booting a Windows PC takes like seven seconds so just shut the damn thing down.

ah yes, the "you're using it wrong" argument.

I don't often turn my laptop off because there are, you know... things running that I want to keep open.

• Options
    Also, YouTube video titles are fairly useless for informing. Pretty much all of the big channels use clickbait titles because they work. The video content is more nuanced.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if linus tech tips wants my views it can be less clickbaity

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The same argument comes up every 2-3 months. All the major techtubers - even GN - have clickbaity titles and images because more people click them. It's an unfortunate realism of YT.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I just unsubbed from them after their shitty data antics on more than 1 video and Linus being a pissbaby about the backpack warranty.

You can make your cringeload Youtube thumbnails all you want, but the minute I question your actual credibility as a review outlet is when I just stop watching. His channel blew through a lot of chances very quickly.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Well complaints about LTT notwithstanding, apparently an employee over at Microsoft has reproduced the bug.

From the pinned comment on the video:
    blYQMun.png

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Alright, ya know, that's pretty cool.

Also I'll take back what I said before. I hadn't watched the video first and jumped in. You know, like an idiot.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I just unsubbed from them after their shitty data antics on more than 1 video and Linus being a pissbaby about the backpack warranty.

You can make your cringeload Youtube thumbnails all you want, but the minute I question your actual credibility as a review outlet is when I just stop watching. His channel blew through a lot of chances very quickly.

Yeah I've kind of stopped caring about them. TBH the content that I actually liked and wanted to share with people was almost always actually Anthony's, who I do feel a little bad for. But if you fly the flag, you carry the baggage. If he ever strikes out on his own, I'll certainly check his content out.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Yeah I've kind of stopped caring about them. TBH the content that I actually liked and wanted to share with people was almost always actually Anthony's, who I do feel a little bad for. But if you fly the flag, you carry the baggage. If he ever strikes out on his own, I'll certainly check his content out.

Yeah Anthony is pretty great, I'm finding it tough to fault him on anything really.

It's just a tiresome parade of "Look How Rich I Am" videos from Linus and questionable actual review content, and it just added up to the point where I was just sick of their shit and removed all 3 channels.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The only thing I've learned from all those LTT videos about their new house is to stay far far away from any home automation stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The only thing I've learned from all those LTT videos about their new house is to stay far far away from any home automation stuff.

The only thing running through my head is as soon as the first bit of maintenance is required, 90% of that shit is gonna be removed or abandoned.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    There is a strong "what the fuck were we thinking" vibe to the whole notion. We're really in late-stage capitalism 'how can we make people buy stuff they already have or have no plausible use for?' territory