As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    4 out of 5 Ranked game attempts in a row with point suicide by the jump master with the shittiest fucking hot drops. How the fuck am I supposed to even try to climb in pugs?

This is just abject suffering.

It's the last few days of the season, so definitely more filled with crappy behavior. I got my rank up so I'm just chilling until next split.
    Just so many teammates who can't win a 1v1, don't understand what fights not to take, don't understand how or when to disengage from a fight, all in the same package. I understand if you're bloodthirsty and are trying more of a style where you're roaming looking for fights instead of playing for late zone but you'd think that if you're opting into that that you can at least win a single gunfight...

I'm not defending this behavior, because control exists now, but in the absence of a mode like that it can be really hard to get gunfight practice and I think people emulate what they see streamers do. I'm sure there are streamers/YouTube people who focus on winning and playing strategically but big kill counts and streaks are what's flashy and I think it's what people are trying to do, to the detriment of actually playing the right way to win.
    For the record I was also complaining about Ranked. If you're playing to practice, then I kinda think you should be queueing for Normal? Like 2/3 of the lobby dies in World's Edge in the first few minutes due to dropping Fragment.

Oh for sure, it's dumb and bad. I wonder if people are being reckless because they're trying to get as high as they can before the end of the split?

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The problem is that the gap between normal and ranked is now so large that people that play normal don't learn how to play in ranked.
    Everyone full sending all the time is exactly the worst possible plan in ranked, where you are supposed to make engagement decisions based on position and the relative state of your health (And the risk of third parties)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I feel like pubs lobbies are half “ape everything” and half “ranked without the points.” I feel like the ranked play style has bled into pubs a lot this season.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I'm hoping the gentler RP entry fees make hitting Plat feasible again for me next split. I'm Gold IV currently, by my count I would've been Gold II with 10 less points paid per match, but drops remain wildly inconsistent.

Just gonna sink back to Silver IV with the split and see where things end up. I'm out for the last week of the season due to working an event, so I guess I'll just have to see if 5'ish weeks is enough.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    don't understand how or when to disengage from a fight
    Speaking of which, Valk makes this trivial but sometimes you just need to book it.

- snip video-

(It's kind of a crutch for bad rotations and for bad fights.)

Also, apparently Valk can carry knocked bodies.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    One of my buddies managed to grind enough to get to plat this season, so our trio got to share in the joy of plat games.

It's definitely a sweat-fest in there. Small sample size, but we got deleted insanely fast in every engagement we got into.

Masters trails everywhere too. Not that that means quite what it would have done, what with 5% of the playerbase making masters with the previous KP setup.

5% is still the old Diamond kinda range (at least, back when they used to actually give us percentages for each tier), which is going to be (on average) pretty damned skilled.

Aside from one guy making it to Masters without firing a shot last season, I still expect a current Plat lobby to be a mess of players and three stacks that I'd want nothing to do with to any substantial degree.

I just hope the rebalanced entry fees make pubs a bit less of a nightmare (give the more sweaty/skilled players something to work on again) and actually spreads those same players out across the ranks again.

95% of players being in Rookie to Gold just makes Ranked a pub match with more on the line and fair chances that the champ squad are former Diamonds/Masters while you're babysitting a couple of people who literally picked up the game a week or two ago.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just got a flawless victory win as Casutic without firing a single bullet....

The other last two remaining teams were fighting in my pre-placed gas...

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    More examples in how to run the fuck away, especially when your abilities just don't fucking work as usual, and how to be patient and not just YOLO into a deathball

https://youtu.be/3wCUlw1YBp8

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I am so tired of people dropping east frag like it's pubs in ranked. So tired.
    Also recent gem of a game:
    My team: legit rookie, me in bronze and a silver
    Champ team: triple master badge silver

Hmm, yeah.

I am so tired of people dropping east frag like it's pubs in ranked. So tired.
    Also recent gem of a game:
    My team: legit rookie, me in bronze and a silver
    Champ team: triple master badge silver

Hmm, yeah.

2nd place is still admirable... Right?

And yeah, probably 50% of my drops where a pub chooses end up somewhere in fragment.

Sure it's kinda fun every so often. Hectic drops are pure adrenaline fodder. But the total crap shoot of whether you and your team get a weapon and then aren't third partied if/when you win the first fight is far from conducive to actually getting good RP.

Do t get me wrong, dropping frag in pubs is what the kids might say "a vibe", it's just not for ranked. Even walked out as the kings and queens of east frag the other day with a random team.
    I still generally gain RP every game, so I'm not worried about it, just mildly frustrating.

In the end, I'm just happy I don't have to play storm point for a while.

I think I actually like Storm Point design-wise a lot better, but it's just impossible to play Ranked seriously when I was getting crashes and constantly having to worry about that.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Arggh, I had been busy all week and just last night I was able to play a bit, but I missed out on the event. I really wanted that Havoc skin :(

At least I got the fancy skin for Rampart, but I also really wanted the one for Loba.

Todd is cat sitting, it's a vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1BAQmNzwFE

Circles that center on Fragment early and stay there are hilarious

https://youtu.be/FBDPbYszrI4

And by hilarious I mean holy shit we're fighting over these tiny little buildings and every angle is death if you look out a window wrong

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZcYQleitQ
    Mobile is getting another new character and a whole new map. I've got no interest in playing the mobile version but it's neat to see.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A reminder that the ALGS is going right now, and that the finale is tomorrow. Standard of play is very high, although the Caustic heavy meta is slowing down things a lot.

I really like the format, where everyone plays each other in the Group stage, then essentially a double elimination to reach the finals. And in the finals you need to hit a score treshhold, and then a win.
    Top finishers from winners round come into it with a score advantage.

The main downside is that the broadcasts are 40% gameplay, 40% talking, 20% no content breaks.

Losers 2 is about to start (where 11-30 fight who gets to be in the grand finals).

Big stories so far:
    TSM is underperforming and was on edge of qualifying before the final game. They're making risky Valk calls and paying the price, and their ult coordination seems bad. They landed right below NRG in game 8 and were short by 2 points in the end.
    HisWattson, the #1 Pred streamer turned pro, is a real threat.
    NRG is really strong, Sweet is very strong, and clear #1 in the semis.
    Liquid lost 4 50/50s on Stormpoint, 0 points out of 4 games. They still very nearly qual'd on WE, but Furia stopped them.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Command center on twitch is great as you can just jump into any teams comms.
    Nutty play for sure, shame EA couldn't get their shit together on visas or COVID (most foreign teams are down 1 or playing with at least one sub).

I know watching ALGS on a linked Twitch/Prime account can earn a few skins and whatnot, but there was an issue where new ALGS goodies added to an account was eating old ones.

Anyone know if that has been fixed?

And yes, I know, you can find non-affiliated channels or catch up with daily roundups on YouTube or whatever, but it'd be nice to have it on in the background and snag a charm and banner or whatever they have this go around.

They're only doing that for the last day and I hadn't heard it would eat things.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Silly anime trailer for the new event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvyEhGw11Y

The revenant skin looks really nice. The others too.
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/gaiden-event

I had a ton of crafting mats so I got the revy skin, it is indeed nice.

I had high hopes for that event when I saw the thumbnail for the trailer and then I saw what it actually was and I was bummed out. I keep hoping one of these events will add some wild new game mode, it's been a while.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the shotty/snipes BR mode is pretty fun IMO, even if sometimes it feels like charge rifle tag

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    That last time we had that mode, wasn't it when they were trying out the "Everyone has EVO shields now" change? I remember that being what made it most fun, now it just doesn't feel as good.

Managed to fit enough games in to reach Gold finally, think that'll do for the season. Not going to have anywhere near enough time to play enough to get to Plat.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    the shotty/snipes BR mode is pretty fun IMO, even if sometimes it feels like charge rifle tag

So no different from BR mode then >_<

Managed to fit enough games in to reach Gold finally, think that'll do for the season. Not going to have anywhere near enough time to play enough to get to Plat.

Nice!
    I was hoping to make it back to gold, but time constraints and having a full third of my solo queue ranked lobbies hot dropping into east frag have made it likely unattainable.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I thought this might have been a nice opportunity to get better with some weapons, but then I realised Triple Take and the Bow aren't sniper weapons.

I think I'm getting better at shotguns (I usually dump them at the first opportunity); I don't know why* people thinking hot dropping Fragment is the way to go about playing this mode...I mean, just play normal mode.

Got 2 wins, but one of them the other team died in the ring...somewhere....nowhere near us

*I do know why, no need to tell me.

PSN Fleety2009
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I am nasty with the longbow and was super excited for this event, but I’m not going to have time to turn on my Xbox before i out of town tomorrow :(

Nice!
    I was hoping to make it back to gold, but time constraints and having a full third of my solo queue ranked lobbies hot dropping into east frag have made it likely unattainable.
    If they drop into Frag and get knocked before I get the chance to finish looting my area or even if I do but they get knocked because they charged into the still ongoing furball, I have no shame in just dipping and ratting for points if I don't think the situation is favorable.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Yeah. I'll make a good faith effort to recover a banner, but if they intentionally drop us in the middle of a fucking war zone, with a dozen+ squads between 1.5 POIs or so and it's ranked, I have no problem saying 'sorry guys, I tried but that's suicide' and playing for position.

If they bail out once they time out, no harm no foul, better luck next drop. If they rage I mute them. If we got some kills along the way they usually appreciate the effort to at least make those count.

Almost back to Gold III again, but given that I'm literally out of town for the entirety of the final week of the season (I fly back approx 12 hours before S14 launches), this might just be the first season since S7 that I don't hit plat, and that's okay.

I just hope they've learned substantially from the mess this season was, and if they take another stab at iterating on Ranked, that they make some minor tweaks and see how it plays out, not reinvent the system all over again.

Nice!
    If they drop into Frag and get knocked before I get the chance to finish looting my area or even if I do but they get knocked because they charged into the still ongoing furball, I have no shame in just dipping and ratting for points if I don't think the situation is favorable.

Still sucks out loud though. I've done it a few times and playing hide and seek for 15 minutes is not my preferred apex experience.

Nice!

Still sucks out loud though. I've done it a few times and playing hide and seek for 15 minutes is not my preferred apex experience.
    Alas, but I am not a Predator still climbing that can solo bully a weaker lobby all by myself.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    This might be the best Kraber game I've had in months. I just don't get the thing often enough so it's so easy to choke with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlO2gEIaIIM

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Yeah, I'm not good with it, but if nobody else wants it, I'll always snap up a Kraber just to deny it to the enemy. Hitting anything with it always feels good, and it's usually a later ring, so at least I'm not trying to hurl shots across half the map.

Like, it's not something to waste, but at the same time it's so rare for me to go through all 12 that sometimes it's kind of like 'let's just get these in the air and see if they tag anyone'.

Forar wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not good with it, but if nobody else wants it, I'll always snap up a Kraber just to deny it to the enemy. Hitting anything with it always feels good, and it's usually a later ring, so at least I'm not trying to hurl shots across half the map.

Like, it's not something to waste, but at the same time it's so rare for me to go through all 12 that sometimes it's kind of like 'let's just get these in the air and see if they tag anyone'.
    Sometimes you can just toss a high value weapon like that in the corner somewhere and no one will notice it lol

Yeah, I don't get it because someone I play with will usually preferentially take it. If it drops to me, I even then sometimes don't take it because I'm carrying a close-in loadout and not having a backup weapon for CQB is crippling. You can always point blank the Kraber but that's such a high variance play that I'm never a fan.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Tarkov has taught me to take things I don't want and hiding them in a corner.

I've been in enough late game dumb poke fights to appreciate a Kraber, even if I don't think I'll ever be good with it.