As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Into the Odd [Tabletop Roleplaying] Appreciation Zone

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Paizo's entire thing is iterating on D&D 3.5, yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They iterated on 3.5 so hard they practically landed on 4E with PF2.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Hm, tempted to just rip all the Starfinder lore out and drop it into something like Scum and Villainy instead.

We call that the Shadowrun Doctrine.

Is there actually a good FitD engine to drop Shadowrun lore into these days? Because… that would be rad too.

No idea. I know there were some cyberpunk and direct Shadowrun hacks in flight, but none of them were published so I'm not sure if any of them were finished.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    There are tons of useable if unfinished hacks out there, and many cyberpunk games, but no Pathfinder of Shadowrun exactly. I think it’d be pretty easy to pick a cyberpunk game and add elves to that than to save Shadowrun itself though, if that helps.

I’m tempted to finish my Run:/shadow idea after Wreckage because “BitD + Shadowrun lore” comes up every ten pages in these threads…

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hm, tempted to just rip all the Starfinder lore out and drop it into something like Scum and Villainy instead.

We call that the Shadowrun Doctrine.

Is there actually a good FitD engine to drop Shadowrun lore into these days? Because… that would be rad too.

CBR+PNK is going to be including a +WEIRD module with its full release that's designed to do more or less exactly that

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    There are tons of useable if unfinished hacks out there, and many cyberpunk games, but no Pathfinder of Shadowrun exactly. I think it’d be pretty easy to pick a cyberpunk game and add elves to that than to save Shadowrun itself though, if that helps.

I’m tempted to finish my Run:/shadow idea after Wreckage because “BitD + Shadowrun lore” comes up every ten pages in these threads…

If you need playtesters, you have my cyberdeck.

Inquisitor on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    CBR+PNK is quite good, by the by, I do recommend checking it out. It's more one-shot focused, so it might still require a bit of hacking for a campaign, but it's still probably my favorite cyberpunk Blades hack (excepting maybe Crash Cart, which is doing a decidedly different thing).

CBR+PNK is also apparently 100% off right now so… yoink?

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    A 3rd party publisher made a cyberpunk hack for Starfinder (which already was pretty cyberpunky in some areas) called Interface Zero. The races are all human, synthetic human, replicant human, etc. It's pretty cool. Considered using it for my currently running reality TV campaign, but we were pretty established under the regular rules.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Genesys has both the Android setting and a generic D&Desque fantasy setting. You could just use both books and run a shadowrun type game that way.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

D&D the film. Which honestly looks fine to good?

Like my main complaint about D&D is that D&D is a weird recursive game where D&D plays D&D which is D&D which is, after a few layers, tolkien fantasy bastardized.

But the trailer seems to get that vibe and embrace it which is fun and unlike the TTRPG can't leave classes feeling like the oatmeal of Fighter.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah it looks decent, aside from the bizarre classic rock soundtrack.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    It looks fun and apparently at the comic-con panel that revealed it, they said that "at least one" popular DnD personality will make a cameo. I feel like it would be Matt Mercer, given how he's worked with WoTC/Hasbro in an official capacity quite a few times since CR made it big. And, like, fuckin' good for him.

Edit: I guess Joe Manganiello is also a high probability

Cruor on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

That fits to me, but then I play my characters like I'm expecting them at some point to be the main character in a mural airbrushed on the side of a van

I wonder if they're going to go with classic rock for the whole thing, like they did in A Knight's Tale

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I always figured that whole thing was out of practicality for the studio. They probably didn't want to have to animate capes for the whole movie and decided to lampshade it.

It's cool that it still makes people angry after all this time.

That was always my assumption, yes. Clothes in CGI are an absolute pain in the posterior (ask the work that went into Elsa and Anna's dresses in Frozen, that shit is bonkers), and capes are particularly fluttery, but also capes are almost synonymous with superheroes (the genre is often literally called "cape comics"), so if you weren't going to have *any* capes on your superhero movie you needed to lampshade it somehow or people would start asking about it.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Genesys has both the Android setting and a generic D&Desque fantasy setting. You could just use both books and run a shadowrun type game that way.

Android feels so much better than most cyberpunk settings to me, honestly. Aesthetically and in focus it feels easy to suspend my disbelief for in ways something like Cyberpunk (the classic ttrpg) never was.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I still hold that Shadowrun's big issue is that the setting is awesome but it's appeal as a table top game is pretty focused on the weird, old school tyre fire granularity.

It needs a good edition not a FitD de-make.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

That fits to me, but then I play my characters like I'm expecting them at some point to be the main character in a mural airbrushed on the side of a van

I wonder if they're going to go with classic rock for the whole thing, like they did in A Knight's Tale

Eh, whenever this happens it just makes me think there's a studio exec who just loves Led Zeppelin and they needed him to greenlight it.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Thread title got me thinking

Elegance & Eloquence

Elocution & Enunciation

Eccentricities & Erraticisms

JtgVX0H.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Errata & Erotica, the two sexiest words on earth.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Erotica and Edgelords: The Online D&D Experience

Ranlin wrote: »
    Erotica and Edging: The Online D&D Experience

JtgVX0H.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I always figured that whole thing was out of practicality for the studio. They probably didn't want to have to animate capes for the whole movie and decided to lampshade it.

It's cool that it still makes people angry after all this time.

That was always my assumption, yes. Clothes in CGI are an absolute pain in the posterior (ask the work that went into Elsa and Anna's dresses in Frozen, that shit is bonkers), and capes are particularly fluttery, but also capes are almost synonymous with superheroes (the genre is often literally called "cape comics"), so if you weren't going to have *any* capes on your superhero movie you needed to lampshade it somehow or people would start asking about it.

What do Elastigirl and Scarlet need capes for.
    To get caught on small spaces or flutter errantly into guards faces when trying to be sneaky?
    Neither would even look good in a cape when doing their thing.

Even Dash would be on a fast train to unconsciousness with a completely horizontal cape.

No.
    There is no family motif possible with a cape.

Syndrome can have a cape because he is clearly over-compensating.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wearing a cape is a perfectly valid way to reduce Stress, but the Threat level of most situations will be made higher. I prefer a full hooded cloak though, you can’t hide your daggers and sabotage kit under a cape.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    That's what trenchcoats are for, according to the early 2000s.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    when we were young, my friends and I hit up the local giant thrift store, and we each bought a trenchcoat. this was ill-advised.

there was also this incredible long coat, it was faux-snakeskin and the collar was fake mink, but it was more money than I had and none of my friends would lend me any for that horror.

edit: if memory serves, the fake snakeskin was deep purple.

Depressperado on
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    You had pro-active friends. The best I could do was convincing my pucca shell wearing bestie to go into Hot Topic for Corporate Brand Rebellion.

I had a trenchcoat but it kinda sucked. It was made of patches of leather sewn together which I hated (plus the stitching kept fraying and sticking out), it didn't keep me warm, and it only came to the top of my calves (I wanted it to be floor length but I'm 6'4")

JtgVX0H.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last night we held a D&D session even though two of our six players couldn't attend (and a third would miss the first 90 minutes) because, yeah, we need to keep this train plugging along.

And it was a good session!

The bulk of it was the players trying to formulate & execute a plan to diminish a heavily guarded mining encampment as to rescue enslaved children. The minor hiccup in this entire plan? The Choldrith within the Underdark who finally discovered the adventurers after the Artificer used Thunderclap.

While going back & fourth between dungeon levels the Artificer met the Choldrith, hidden deep in the shadows. His name is Gregory and in terms of characterization he's a mix between Oogie Boogie (from The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Jeff Goldblum's raw sexuality. The Artificer managed to trick Gregory into thinking that his adventuring group is hunting children and will bring Gregory a gaggle of children for him to eat (all of this was to appease the Choldrith).

The rest of the session was the adventurers trying to separate guards, rescue children, and placate Gregory with ever-increasing lies as his hunger grew.

Ultimately only the Artificer and the Bard actually visually saw the Choldrith, so I pulled them aside to show them what the monster looks like, which immediately drew the exact same reaction from them in terms of them ever thinking they'd fight it:

FuckThat.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Man I love Sigourney Weaver so much

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    I had a trenchcoat but it kinda sucked. It was made of patches of leather sewn together which I hated (plus the stitching kept fraying and sticking out), it didn't keep me warm, and it only came to the top of my calves (I wanted it to be floor length but I'm 6'4")

That's about how long a men's full length coat is supposed to be, for the record - floor length ain't really a normal thing in that sector of the fashion world

Straightzi wrote: »

That's about how long a men's full length coat is supposed to be, for the record - floor length ain't really a normal thing in that sector of the fashion world

Dang that sucks, I've always wanted a floor-length coat. At least I now know my trenchcoat was operating as intended, and going forward I should expect to be forever disappointed

JtgVX0H.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I typed men's floor length coats

I was disappointed when I couldn't find any, but then ecstatic when I found this

Q4pETKk.png

time to figure out if they just like runes or if that secretly says white power or something

edit: this website is like, what a Guardian from Destiny would wear when off-duty

edit 2: with just a soupçon of cultural appropriation.

EDIT 3: OMG 230 BONES FOR THAT CLOAT (cloak+coat) that thing better be actually fuckin' magic. +1 AC at least

Depressperado on
    $230 for that is actually a lot less than I expected tbh.

That said, unless the runes say “Nazi punks fuck off” or something, I am not inclined to wear anything with runes on it these days.

I see the word "futhorc" across the upper left quarter of the circle, but I've forgotten the rest of my runes and don't know what the rest says.

JtgVX0H.png
    I see the word "futhorc" across the upper left quarter of the circle, but I've forgotten the rest of my runes and don't know what the rest says.

futhorc my balls

Yeah that's cheap for a cloak, but I don't trust 'em

based on this wiktionary article I'm pretty sure the runes are just the ABCs.

edited July 2022
    based on this wiktionary article I'm pretty sure the runes are just the ABCs.

Looking at it, I was wrong. It's not futhorc, it's elder futhark, and they swapped the last two runes (d and o) for some reason

edit: it looks like they also used the "s" rune from futhorc instead of elder futhark. I'm not sure they're a quality manufacturer

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Been thinking about this a bunch lately:

Specifically mixing clocks vs a random, shadowrun style initiative pass system.

So when you've made your big jump to the beleaguered vessel in need of rescue a clock starts. It's a simple clock: How many turns till the ship hits the 'Red Line' of the planet and has to get missile struck to break up in atmo and not like, nuke a small neighbourhood.

And as a player each turn you roll a die to set how much initiative you have. D4 for taking it slow and getting a bonus (mandatory for certain actions like medical or engineering tasks), d6 for a normal pace and d8 for rushed clearing of the vessel.

Initiative passes count down from the highest rolled number. Major actions cost whatever initiative pass you're on (so an 8 can be used to act once on pass 8 or could be used to act on passes 1, 2, 4 and still have one point left over). Minor actions cost one initiative point but you only get one per pass and can only do them once the pass is equal to your current die value.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2022
    I still hold that Shadowrun's big issue is that the setting is awesome but it's appeal as a table top game is pretty focused on the weird, old school tyre fire granularity.

It needs a good edition not a FitD de-make.

I've seen you mention this before and I still don't feel like I get the actual argument being put forth. People do these ports and de-makes because they like the setting and want to play in it without using the bonkers nonsense official rules and don't mind if they aren't getting the "right" gonzo tabletop experience. I, personally, am unmoved by the idea of a FitD port (or a PbtA port, or a FATE port) but I don't not get the impulse.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.