As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My latest digital piece (NSF56K)

Thrasher317Thrasher317 Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey gang,

It's been forever since I've browsed this forum. It's nice to see some regulars still active and doing some nice stuff. This is my latest digital work. It's a fan art piece for WoW. I used reference for some of the the warlock, fire, felpup and voidwalker. Everything else was done out of my head. If the image is too dark I apologize. I worked on it on my flatscreen LCD monitor so some older monitors darken the image up a lot.

warlockbymcflywk6.jpg

Wanna see the close up details?

http://thrasher317.deviantart.com/art/Warlock-Details-75893899

Original piece can be here(if Imageshack fails to load):

http://thrasher317.deviantart.com/art/Warlock-75893795

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticisms welcome.

-Thrasher317

Thrasher317 on

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would like to see the entire piece without having to break hscroll.

Perhaps a smaller image and a link to the huge one?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    agreed.

I feel like most of the characters are on different planes. The blue guy (voidwalker?) and horse especially seem to be clashing in comparison of where they sit in the space you've created. The blue guy is a bit hazy, but I don't know if that is what it should look like. I assumed it should be a bit more crisp, but maybe more translucent in areas? Directly behind the warlock the background is just a washed out background, a bit boring in comparison to the rest of the image. Maybe make it look like an explosion of smoke or include some lava. The details, especially on the lock are awesome. Keep up the excellent work.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    MintConditionMintCondition Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Wow that's pretty crazy. Very well done indeed. I'm not sure about the subject matter (as I have no idea what it is), but from the technical views, it looks awesome.

MintCondition on
    mc468_60.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This might have been impressive if you had made this three separate pictures, one for each monster. As it is there's little cohesion between any of the parts you have going on here. There doesn't seem to be any real source of light, which could help a picture that's this dark. Right now it's so ambient as to rob depth from the picture. Your arrangment of your figures isn't helping that any - having them all in a line on the canvas is boring, especially sitting stock-still in the middle of the page. Even with their poses, they don't give much sense of motion.

The rendering itself seems inconsistent. On their own I think each one of these could work, but together they look like they were painted by three different artists and then pasted into one background.

At this point I don't think there's much you could do in this piece to fix the problems I see here. In the future, though, I strongly suggest you make lots and lots of small, greyscale thumbnails to get a feel for your composition before going in and spending time rendering. Try and use foreshortening, perspective, lighting and balance to your advantage.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    its hard for me to tell because the image is just so damn big and i have scroll and what not, but there doesn't seem to be much of a focal point and on the whole just very unorgonized - its like u copied and pasted three different figures from three different pieces and just placed them side by side.

Heres my suggestion, pic a character u want the viewer to focus most on and make him stand out with some constrast or sharpness or something, place it front of the others, make the rest sort of blend in with the bg a bit etc, making the elemental reflect alot of the volcanic red would help a ton, i would think.

other than that u did a fine job with the rendering

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Exceptionally well rendered. Also, an exceptionally weak composition. Some cropped and moving could fix it, but right now its dead.

All of the subjects stand on the same horizontal

There is no breathing space inbetween the subjects

The horizontals in the background make the motions sterile

The bubble of negative space surounding the clump of subjects is uniform, no activity

No borders are activated by the subjects

It looks like three different drawings in a mashup, the subjects dont relate to echother

Odd overlapping of subjects, IE the zombies hand with the fire over the nightmares leg

Again, phenomonal rendering, put really poor design.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    koizkoiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Its a rendering from WoW. Its not a zombie, but the warlock class from WoW. The blue blob is one of his demons that he summons, the nightmare is his summonable mount, and the felhound is another demon that he summons.

koiz on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    koiz wrote: »
    Its a rendering from WoW. Its not a zombie, but the warlock class from WoW. The blue blob is one of his demons that he summons, the nightmare is his summonable mount, and the felhound is another demon that he summons.

k?

Greatnation on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Edit: ...oh...

don't i feel dumb...

Sorry!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dee: protip: koiz is not Thrasher317

Can we have a little tutorial on how you do fire?

Mayday on
  • Options
    Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really like this.

Crazy Old Morise on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Dee: protip: koiz is not Thrasher317

Can we have a little tutorial on how you do fire?

To me it sort of looked like it was edited in, but maybe you're just really good with fire. I agree that the various figures aren't really unified in the composition, but you render your work very well.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Thrasher317Thrasher317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey gang,

Thanks for all the critiques. I agree with everything you guys said. It was originally just going to be the warlock, and over time I just decided to add more and more, doing the background last. I ended up paying for it. The composition is weak, I agree, but I did this piece as more of a detail study than anything else. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for looking and commenting.

The 'smogginess' behind the warlock itself was drawn as I edited around the character's features, using that rusty color as background filler. You see, when I used to try digital pieces I would make everything on a different layer. This time I really wanted to draw everything on one layer to see if I could do it. I tried dozens of background ideas to incorporate the color scheme and after I while I just ran with the volcano landscape.

As far as the fire goes, I'm at work so I can't draw up a tutorial right now. I'll try my best to explain it. I looked at a reference photo from a Google search and then tried my best to mimic how the fire moved. Start with your dark reds and orange and do a small sized brush flowing up and around like strands of hair. They can intertwine as you see fit, but don't get too carried away. Once the reds and oranges are laid down, pick more yellowish tones(eventually white) and decrease the size of your brush as you lighten the color. Remember, most of the yellow/white tones will be located towards the base or source of the flame itself. Once you have everything drawn in, take a soft smudge tool and use it to blend smoothly and indicate paths the flames take. Fire makes really soft gradients in photo references so try your best to mimic the smooth shading. After that you can add soft glows if you would like. If you guys would still like a tutorial I can make one sometime soon and upload it here.

For all the people wanting to see a smaller version, here ya go:
    warlocksmallhq0.jpg

Thanks again,

Thrasher317

Thrasher317 on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, what's up with the 'base' of the blue guy? Does he look like that in the game? Really weird...

And yeah, I'm having trouble following the text, tutorial images would be super nice!

Mayday on