As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Burnin is mostly an issue for people who turn on the news and leave it there all day. Gaming isn't going to be a problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The main reason I'm still looking LCD for my main TV is that my wife tends to just leave the TV going all day, even if she's not around. While we don't watch the news, she has the discovery network channels on enough that I do fear burn in for the logo's in the bottom corner.

EDIT: It's one reason I wish they'd get a move on with micro-led.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    You can get a micro-LED today! They're very easy to get!

Don't get mad at me if you don't want to take a mortgage out for it.

Reviews for the new QD-OLED tech are coming out. Sounds like a winner, though maybe worth waiting 1 generation in. Especially since if I'm upgrading my living room TV, it's probably going to a 75" model and for my computer monitor, I'd like to downside a bit to a 48", both sizing not available right now.

48" computer monitor holy shit.

I have a 27 and sometimes think it's too big.

edited June 2022
    Using a 55" right now. Just have to be 5 feet away from it haha. 48" would allow me to be a bit closer.

Trajan45 on
    I sit at a desk so..

But I've never been picky about monitors. I just upgraded to a 27" 1080/144 monitor earlier this year. I think I stuck with a 1024x768 CRT until 2010 or so.

I have 2 24" monitors for work. I'd like to upgrade them to 27" with QHD or 4K down the road. The TV is just for personal PC use.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    27" is perfect for me. I might do one of the 31/32" ultra wides down the road but playing 32" 16:9 it was harder to track people when I used to play a lot of fps's.

I'm on a 27" 1440p/165hz and 27" 1440p/60hz right now and it's definitely been sweet. I've got the 65" tv at the side with a couch when I'm playing controller games.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be purchasing a new tv for my home and narrowed it down to the LG C1 77". The C2 versions are out now, but I'm not seeing much of a difference between the two. Is there anything I would be missing out on it? The $700 price difference seems like it's not worth it.

steam_sig.png
    The Evo panel is the big difference. The picture quality will be mostly the same but the Evo panel is able to get much brighter.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Depending on the manufacturing date and seriel number most if not all C1's have an Evo panel. Towards the end of the production run LG stopped making the original panel and switched most sizes to the Evo panel. The 55" I bought in February has an Evo panel.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »
    Depending on the manufacturing date and seriel number most if not all C1's have an Evo panel. Towards the end of the production run LG stopped making the original panel and switched most sizes to the Evo panel. The 55" I bought in February has an Evo panel.

Oh neat! I thought the changeover only hit the G1, so that's cool news!

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So I’m looking for a new TV. I just moved into a new home with lots more space, and my 45” 4K wasn’t cutting it. In my current living arrangement, my couch is about 116” from the wall (though I can, and probably should, scoot it a little closer), so I was thinking of getting a 75”. What a good one for gaming that won’t break the bank. I’m also looking into entertainment centers for the TV, as well.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    If you're in an apartment, sure, get a bigger entertainment center. But a 75" is pretty firmly in "mount it" territory for me.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    If you're in an apartment, sure, get a bigger entertainment center. But a 75" is pretty firmly in "mount it" territory for me.

Well, I need a place to put my consoles and games…

Fair enough! It all depends on your budget and the amount of space you have. There are a ton on Wayfair, best buy, Ikea... Depends on your style really. I highly recommend one with doors, though. Having a place to run the power strip to and all the power cords can make the whole setup look way nicer.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Without knowing your budget and how bright your room is I lean towards the LG C1/Sony A80J. The brighter the room the more I'd look at a traditional LED. I'd probably stick with LG/Sony though but I've got a bias against Samsung products.

Yeah, I think OLED might be a bit rich for my blood. I was looking for $2k or less for the tv and center (assuming that’s realistic). Not sure how to measure brightness.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Basically if there's a lot of windows or direct sunlight hitting the tv oled might not be the best option, or if you're prone to leaving the tv on all the time. But if its 2k for tv plus center yeah I dont think you can fit a 75" oled into that budget.

At 75" you're definitely out of the OLED game, but there are a couple of good options. The Sony X85J is at a decent price these days and supports 4k/130 and VRR. It's last year's model so it may be something that takes a bit to arrive, but it's still around. I haven't seen the reviews of the 85k yet, but assume same thing but a bit faster.

Also the TCL R646 is a nice option as well. It only has two 2.1 ports, but that's enough for both Xbox and ps5 at least.

Depending on your living room arrangement, it may also be better to move the couch closer and get a 65". We have a 65" and our couch is 128" away. A 75" probably would be better, but I'm waiting for another generation or 2 of QD-OLED to upgrade (they need a 75" version haha). Just testing with our 65", if you could move the couch in the 90-95" range, that might make 65" work.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship This seems to sort of align with that. I'm at around 5.5ft for my 55" gaming monitor (OLED) and it's a tiny bit big. 6ft would be ideal, so kind of in between their recommendations.

Ended up getting the 85” X91J. Put me a bit over budget (especially with the mount, sound bar, and installation) to over $3k. But if I’m not happy with the tv or soundbar, I can at least return them.

Which soundbar did you get?

Which soundbar did you get?

The HT-G700. It was the cheaper of the Sony sound bars, and they had a promo where I saved $100 if I got it with a Sony TV.

Oh yeah, that one's totally fine! I'm not a huge fan of Sony for audio stuff, but when you have the TV at least the ARC is likely to stay working forever!

When is the install happening?

Oh yeah, that one's totally fine! I'm not a huge fan of Sony for audio stuff, but when you have the TV at least the ARC is likely to stay working forever!

When is the install happening?

Right now!

Oh shit! Pics when it's done!

Is it geek squad install? Tell them hi from another agent.

Or don't, whatever.

Oh shit! Pics when it's done!

Is it geek squad install? Tell them hi from another agent.

Or don't, whatever.

Didn’t see this post while they were here. :(

I’ll post pics when I get the entertainment center in next week.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So I’m looking for a new TV. I just moved into a new home with lots more space, and my 45” 4K wasn’t cutting it. In my current living arrangement, my couch is about 116” from the wall (though I can, and probably should, scoot it a little closer), so I was thinking of getting a 75”. What a good one for gaming that won’t break the bank. I’m also looking into entertainment centers for the TV, as well.

This one is more expensive than I remember it being, but with furniture, you are, in fact, getting what you pay for. There is something very satisfying in the long term about finally owning a television stand/entertainment unit that doesn't sag. But if you're going for 75", this might be better as a point of reference than an actual recommendation.

In terms of game and A/V equipment storage, it's pretty excellent (and extremely efficient). The backing (which is just above-average quality cardboard, to be fair) ends towards the top, leaving a gap, and the shelves run a bit short too (on top of being adjustable) so you can run cables to every compartment. I used to easily store four distinct consoles in it, back when I had a television that could actually accommodate that and more (then I bought an LG OLED, so not anymore). I've considered mounting my television since then, but aside from really not wanting to run cables through the wall (and considering how much time it'd take), even if I did I'd still keep this just as a place to put my soundbar and the actual hardware. As it stands, it holds two consoles, two different shelves of games, my fiber internet router, an APC power backup (that wasn't being used anywhere else), and I still have a compartment left over. You'd be surprised how much you can fit into one of these things, neatly.

edited July 2022
    I ended up going with this one. It seems to do what it does well enough.

So my setup:
    cltub354ai4m.jpeg

This is what it looks like so far. I have my Switch on top, and PS4 and router underneath. The modem is in the left-hand cabinet. The cabinets don’t actually have cable management holes, but that’s nothing a 2” hole saw can’t fix.

2fdv3nnb8dez.jpeg
    zx9blnyogblx.jpeg

Ordered a media tower to store my current-Gen games and movies. Not sure about the subwoofer. I guess it’s best to leave that free-standing?

Zython on
    Yeah, love that clean wall look. Very nice.

A ported sub like that should be outside the entertainment center, but because it's wireless it can move to the corner of the room if you have a plug available.

edited July 2022

The previous owners of the house already had a bypass installed, but getting additional wires through it was a hassle (Had to get the Switch HDMI cable and TV ethernet cable through. Worth the effort now that it's done.
    A ported sub like that should be outside the entertainment center, but because it's wireless it can move to the corner of the room if you have a plug available.

Front corner away from the TV, or back corner next to the couch?

Zython on

The previous owners of the house already had a bypass installed, but getting additional wires through it was a hassle (Had to get the Switch HDMI cable and TV ethernet cable through. Worth the effort now that it's done.

Front corner. You don't want it near the couch or all you'll hear is BZZZZBUMMMMMMVMMMZZZ through your ass.

Also, if you feed wires through, I know we're a bit late now but always run an extra HDMI or at least a cheap Ethernet through. Not necessarily to use, but it makes it a lot easier to run another wire by using that to pull.

Front corner. You don't want it near the couch or all you'll hear is BZZZZBUMMMMMMVMMMZZZ through your ass.

Also, if you feed wires through, I know we're a bit late now but always run an extra HDMI or at least a cheap Ethernet through. Not necessarily to use, but it makes it a lot easier to run another wire by using that to pull.

The previous owners had a 30 ft or so HDMI cable in there already which I used just for this purpose.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I forget where I read it but a good way to find an ideal placement for your sub is to first set it next to your TV and play something bass heavy. Walk around the room and find where the bass response in the best/strongest and move the sub there.

Also, that 30ft of in the wall HDMI probably doesn't support anything higher than 4K 60hz (if that even) depending on how old the cable is, so keep that in mind if you're going to be playing anything on a PS5, Series X, or high end PC gaming.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited July 2022
    Cormac wrote: »
    I forget where I read it but a good way to find an ideal placement for your sub is to first set it next to your TV and play something bass heavy. Walk around the room and find where the bass response in the best/strongest and move the sub there.

Also, that 30ft of in the wall HDMI probably doesn't support anything higher than 4K 60hz (if that even) depending on how old the cable is, so keep that in mind if you're going to be playing anything on a PS5, Series X, or high end PC gaming.

Not a problem. I’ll just swap the cables the other one is one I bought this week, so it should be fine. I plan to do PC gaming on the TV via the Steam Link App. I’ve got an Ethernet cable set up, but the guy who installed it used a Cat 5 instead of a cat 6, so I don’t know how well it will do high-end performance.

Edit: Then again, I’m not sure a 3070 Ti can get the most out of a cat 6 anyhow, so it may be a moot point.

Zython on
    How do the newer consoles handle 120hz? Now that I have a PS5 incoming, I'm wondering if it's time to update my OLED C6? Do the new consoles have the horsepower to make 120hz and VRR really that noticeable. Weird since I barely use it, but I'll miss the passive 3D feature.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    How do the newer consoles handle 120hz? Now that I have a PS5 incoming, I'm wondering if it's time to update my OLED C6? Do the new consoles have the horsepower to make 120hz and VRR really that noticeable. Weird since I barely use it, but I'll miss the passive 3D feature.

Over HDMI 2.1 (exclusively, in fact). And yes; we talked about it on the [Xbox] thread, but there are a handful of 4K/120hz titles (it would probably be more accurate to call them games upscaled to 4K that potentially output somewhere between 61 and 120 FPS)--there's a few more on Xbox Series X than Playstation 5 (a small number games like the Mass Effect Trilogy don't have 120 hz modes on PS5 for whatever reason, and also a 120 hz mode was added to certain up-resolutioned backwards compatible games from earlier generations Super Lucky's Tale by Microsoft itself--I don't think any Playstation 4 games have gotten this treatment on PS5, but I could certainly be wrong, and PS3 games aren't playable on PS5 that way at all).

By contrast, Resident Evil 2 and 3 got their current generation updates (Xbox Series and Playstation 5), which do include a 120 hz mode.

Also, variable refresh was just implemented on Playstation 5 very recently, and I'm not sure if it's available across the library. But in any case, you'd need HDMI 2.1 as part of that standard to support VRR options, an HDR implementation, at 2160p at 120 hz.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Over HDMI 2.1 (exclusively, in fact). And yes; we talked about it on the [Xbox] thread, but there are a handful of 4K/120hz titles (it would probably be more accurate to call them games upscaled to 4K that potentially output somewhere between 61 and 120 FPS)--there's a few more on Xbox Series X than Playstation 5 (a small number games like the Mass Effect Trilogy don't have 120 hz modes on PS5 for whatever reason, and also a 120 hz mode was added to certain up-resolutioned backwards compatible games from earlier generations Super Lucky's Tale by Microsoft itself--I don't think any Playstation 4 games have gotten this treatment on PS5, but I could certainly be wrong, and PS3 games aren't playable on PS5 that way at all).

By contrast, Resident Evil 2 and 3 got their current generation updates (Xbox Series and Playstation 5), which do include a 120 hz mode.

Also, variable refresh was just implemented on Playstation 5 very recently, and I'm not sure if it's available across the library. But in any case, you'd need HDMI 2.1 as part of that standard to support VRR options, an HDR implementation, at 2160p at 120 hz.

Yeah I think I asked this question before, I ended up sending that Xbox to a friend as a gift based on your reply. It does look great, even upscaled. It's not a max settings pc level of fidelity but when it costs 1/4th the price you definitely can't argue with how great it looks.

My buddy is gushing about it all the time, he has it connected to a 65" C1.

Dixon on