As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The concept engineer behind the Miata would like to provide would be thieves of his Porsche 914 some advice when stealing it. Most notably "your life will be much easier if you just find a nice Camry instead."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So, interesting/terrifying thing happened to me last week. I have theories about what happened, wondering if others follow or think I'm crazy and have a problem.

I'm on the Interstate, in Nebraska, so the speed limit is 75 MPH. Everyone goes 75-85. Also the wind is really high, because Nebraska, and I'm driving into it.

Also, to add context: I'm driving a conventional hybrid. It's a 2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Limited. I've taken it long distance before, went all the way to CO Springs and back without problems.

So, I'm driving down the Interstate, into the wind, at about 76-77 MPH, I'm talking to my wife and get distracted, and I end up behind a truck. My automatic bullshit slows me down to match their speed while I wait to get left and pass them (lots of traffic).

So I get an opening and get left, and then....I can't get the car to go any faster. I'm going 62-63 tops, and any gas I give it just does nothing. I look through my panel and I see that the hybrid battery is out of juice. The car can't go any faster because the wind has robbed it of juice.

Luckily I get to an off-ramp pretty quickly, get on a highway, 65 MPH speed limits, and the battery gets enough charge that I'm back in the game again. No problems for the rest of the night, and when I take the Interstate back, with the wind at my back, I'm totally fine.

My theory: The car needs both motors to go above 65 MPH, and once it gets up to those speeds it's supposed to use the gas engine and electric motor alternatively to maintain that speed and keep charging the battery. The problem is that the wind robbed my car of momentum so constantly that the battery couldn't charge at all, and I kept slowing down behind slow traffic because I was busy jawing off instead of paying better attention.

I'm taking this as a lesson to:

A. Pay better attention and try to maintain speed more on the Interstate
    B. Check wind direction and speed when deciding which roads to take where. Like a sea captain or some shit.

My wife is kinda thrown by this whole thing and insists that it's really silly that the car can't go faster than that on the gas engine alone, and feels kinda burned on the whole hybrid car thing as a result. One of us mentioned that my old '02 Bonneville would have gotten us to our destination much sooner, and yeah, ouch. She took it to the dealer and explained what happened because she insists something is wrong with the car, which the dealer of course said no, just pull over and restart it, like it's a fucking cable modem.

Wondering if you guys agree with my theory or if I'm crazy.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That sounds more like some kind of software bug to me. Looking it up, the Elantra has a 104hp gas engine and the battery only provides an extra 43hp. 104hp doesn’t sound like much, but it should easily be enough to get the car up over 80mph, it just might take a bit of time to get there. It’s not a plug in hybrid so the electric motor is only intended to handle low speed EV mode stuff and to give a little extra acceleration when required, the powertrain shouldn’t be reliant on it to reach highway speeds.

As dumb as it sounds I think your dealer is right, pulling over and restarting the car like a cable modem might be the answer.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The wind's been blowing 40+ a lot here recently, so driving into a headwind like that is like driving at 100+ mph on a calm day. A semi is also a big obstacle that channels the wind around it that can make the air resistance even worse than just driving into a strong headwind alone as you try to pass. That car also has under 100 HP without the electric motor helping, so if you already drained its small battery fighting the wind, then yes I'd expect it to struggle to accelerate past a truck in already high headwinds.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    The top speed in that car is ~116mph. With it taking ~7sec to go from 60 to 80 mph.

Given that you probally went from being inside the 'tow' of the trailer to the wash area I could see that the time to overtake was soo high it felt like you aren't doing any more work. Combine this with a car which is programmed for fuel savings, means you most likely need to pin the gas pedal to the floor for a good amount of time for it to realize it needs to downshift and give you maximum power.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    That sounds more like some kind of software bug to me. Looking it up, the Elantra has a 104hp gas engine and the battery only provides an extra 43hp. 104hp doesn’t sound like much, but it should easily be enough to get the car up over 80mph, it just might take a bit of time to get there. It’s not a plug in hybrid so the electric motor is only intended to handle low speed EV mode stuff and to give a little extra acceleration when required, the powertrain shouldn’t be reliant on it to reach highway speeds.

As dumb as it sounds I think your dealer is right, pulling over and restarting the car like a cable modem might be the answer.

In the middle of winter I started my car (Warmed it for 6 or 8 minutes) and started driving and it felt super sluggish (Not a hybrid in my case, pure ICE). Like, there was a little bit of acceleration, but not much. I turned it off and turned it back on again and it was fine.

I felt ridiculous pulling over and turning off my car and turning it back on again, but computers are computers I guess.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

In the middle of winter I started my car (Warmed it for 6 or 8 minutes) and started driving and it felt super sluggish (Not a hybrid in my case, pure ICE). Like, there was a little bit of acceleration, but not much. I turned it off and turned it back on again and it was fine.

I felt ridiculous pulling over and turning off my car and turning it back on again, but computers are computers I guess.

I've had this in my 2005 crown vic. Every now and then you just gotta restart the damn things.

Still better than my 60s Mustang where the carb would ice over if you didn't let it warm up enough.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

I've had this in my 2005 crown vic. Every now and then you just gotta restart the damn things.

Still better than my 60s Mustang where the carb would ice over if you didn't let it warm up enough.

Heh this reminds me of the Tempo my dad had when I was a kid. When starting up on a cold day, you needed to crank the ignition, give it a couple quick revs then hold it at ~2k rpm for at least a minute otherwise the engine would die. So my task (at like, age 5) was to go outside and start the car while dad was still finishing his oatmeal and helping my sister get her shoes and coat on before taking us to school in the morning.

edited April 2022
    Double post since I didn't have time to elaborate over the weekend: I was at a racing school and got my SCCA Novice Permit, which clears me to enter most SCCA wheel to wheel races around the country!

My friend and I picked up the green Miata you see from a third mutual friend who hadn't had time to race in the last few years. We're planning to run the car in Spec Miata (of course) and ITA class races over the next year or two. Other than needing new belts and fluids, the thing was pretty much turn key: it's got a full cage, fire suppression, a stripped interior, data logging... everything you need to play Forza IRL.

The class was really cool. We started out with minimal passing on the back straight only, practicing the racing line, before moving on to more advanced exercises like running the entire course at around 70% of race pace side by side with a partner. I had two instructors to work with who would give me feedback after every session and point out what I did well and where I could improve.

56K warning: pics ahead!

ovb4whh8ntnm.jpeg
    Car and garage.

1ti22d0o8oqz.jpeg
    Pic of our side by side exercise. Yeah we’re not perfectly lined up, whoops.

ub4bjto7se5w.jpeg
    Turn 1 right after one of our practice starts. I started in 2nd place right beside the FRS and was able to get around him on the outside. I felt pretty smug about it because a) his car was much faster than mine and b) I knew he would be able to hold up traffic enough to give me a gigantic lead if this had been a real race. In fact...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkA85U9V3d8

hgrtsjsonrum.jpeg
    qi8jasl1uyzd.jpeg

Some assorted glamour shots

EDIT:

Also this happened right in front of me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-EgLHjmt4M

mRahmani on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    So it seems the fiberglass sound deadening material has started coming out of one of my Invidia mufflers. I'm guessing it's going to need to be replaced in the near future. Can I get away with just replacing the failing muffler and not having matching mufflers, or should I just spend the money and replace both?

I need to go measure the exact size but I'm leaning towards replacing both with Vibrant universal mufflers and chrome tips. The Invidia came with fake blued titanium tips which I've never been a fan of, and this would finally give me the opportunity to get rid of them. I'll also need to go talk to a few muffler shops to see if they're fine with my bringing my own mufflers in and having them take care of the rest. Whatever I go with I want to keep the mellow sound and zero drone that the Invidia axleback has. There are plenty of choices from Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, KTuned, etc, but I've been super impressed with the quality of Vibrant stuff from what I've seen on Youtube.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ethea wrote: »
    The top speed in that car is ~116mph. With it taking ~7sec to go from 60 to 80 mph.

Given that you probally went from being inside the 'tow' of the trailer to the wash area I could see that the time to overtake was soo high it felt like you aren't doing any more work. Combine this with a car which is programmed for fuel savings, means you most likely need to pin the gas pedal to the floor for a good amount of time for it to realize it needs to downshift and give you maximum power.

idk anything about how hyundai is building their hybrid powertrains, but i've had a second and third gen prius, hybrid and plug-in respectively, and i have driven up mountains at inadvisable speeds, and flogged them hard enough to do multiple cross country trips in 3 days, including disaster relief and events where i've repeatedly loaded the fuckers over capacity

newer one even fell halfway of a dicey trail on mount shasta last year as a wildfire was kicking up and i was trying to get off the mountain, road fell out from under the driver's side window

i got lucky and it fell into a surprisingly sturdy little pine, was able to use it as leverage to get it back on the road

didn't even damage the undercarriage and all the power everything was still functional despite using driver's side as an impromptu woodland jack point

all this to say, both of them start charging the battery off the engine if it gets too low and they'll do it at any speed

no idea what happened, or why, but that's incredibly sketch and i'd be weirded out too

shit, one of my favorite things about them is they don't give a fuck if you run your AC all the way up the grapevine going 80-90

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I bought a car for the first time in uhh, 16 years? Something like that. Went and got a 2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Wasn't really planning to buy but they had one on the lot at a reasonable dealer markup (everything here is dealer marked up right now, from basic Hondas to Mercedes) and it was the spec I wanted...so several signed papers later I drove home with it. Very likely the last pure gasoline car I'll ever buy. I'll almost certainly go electric when I replace this down the road. Or more accurately when I hand this down to my daughter.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    It's been a while since I talked about the weird issue I ran into on the Interstate with my Hyundai Elantra hybrid.

I have since taken it to Chicago and Milwaukee and back to Nebraska, with zero issues.

I also did a full system update* on it before I left, which should have only updated the Nav but it updated a bunch of other shit too, and man, I have loved Waze for a long time now but using the onboard nav feeds so many other things and doohickeys in the console. Such as traffic reroutes and telling me which food/gas stops are available on the upcoming exits and so forth, without having to break out google or flip to another app or really do anything at all. The only time I used my phone was to play podcasts via bluetooth. The whole time, my wife and I were just floored with how much better the whole vacation was because of the car. At one point I parked my car in a parking garage in Chicago, walked several blocks over the course of a few hours, and forgot where I parked it. Pulled up the app on my phone, had it locate my car, and then it gave me walking directions to the fucking parking garage. This car is one of the best things I've ever spent money on.

*Updating the nav is a giant pain in the ass, though. You have to download the file on a PC, but you have to use their fucking software to perform the download (which requires Windows, ffs), then you move the file onto a USB drive, then plug it into the car. That's not the pain in the ass! The pain in the ass is you have to keep the car running for about 2-3 hours to get this software to update, and the car doesn't want to stand for more than 30 minutes without shutting off, unless you press a button on the steering wheel. So I had to sit in my car for 3 hours in my driveway (thank god I have a Steam Deck), with the engine running, and remember to push a button every 25 minutes or else my car might get bricked.

The dealer will not perform this update for me. They will not let me give them money to make this happen. Absolutely insane.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Obligatory new car picture:
    cYKGHTd.jpg

Maybe not the best time to buy a car that wants premium fuel exclusively, but hey, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so it is what it is :D

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I know it’s a bit late for this, but usually the process is to put the car in ignition on/engine off and connect the battery to a charger for the update - at least it saves 2-3 hours of gas.

Tesla invents car DLC:

I'm pretty sure this violates first sale laws.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Tesla invents car DLC:

It was first sold as a 60.

it's stupid BS of course.

BMW has a subscription model for its heated seats. Not currently in the US, but it's a thing they have.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Subscription... heated seats? I bet that's real popular.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Tesla invents car DLC:

They do this with everything. Ludicrous mode on the P90D is a $20,000 option. It gets automatically deactivated if the purchaser sells the car. It costs $20,000 to turn it back on again.

nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It would be the same as if you bought a Dodge Challenger with the SRT Super Stock package, which gets you the 807 HP 6.2 litre High-Output Hemi, and sold it, and Dodge showed up and tore the SRT package out and replaced it with the 3.6 litre V6 making 303 HP, and said for $20k we'll put the engine the car came with back in, or go fuck yourself.

nibXTE7.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Well it took six months from when we placed the order (actually not too bad a timeline) but we took delivery of our new truck today.

First car I've ever spec'ed out and ordered and basically got everything exactly that we wanted.

Now to get side steps, roof light pods, and tiny and it'll be exactly what we want.

o6r83nnox7iu.jpg
    57q3uor5wexh.jpg

And in news that will surprise absolutely none of you, Tesla is being sued for sexual harassment:
    A year after being hired, Blickman is one of seven former Tesla workers who have filed sexual-harassment lawsuits against Musk’s car company in the past 10 months. The women, most of whom were let go, allege a level of sexual harassment that paints Tesla as more like one of William Blake’s dark “Satanic Mills” than a high-flying Silicon Valley corporation saving the environment.

The following story is based on court documents, including those filed on behalf of the women, and Tesla’s filings in these cases, as well as interviews with five of the women, their friends, and co-workers. In their lawsuits and their interviews, the women describe a workplace rife with sexual harassment and a culture of indifference or hostility to their concerns and complaints.

Tesla, which has not had an active public-relations department since 2020, does not typically respond to press inquiries, and did not respond to multiple requests for comment for this story. In its court filings in the women’s cases, Tesla invoked the arbitration clause in its employment agreement and has denied the women’s claims. “Tesla has always and continues to strictly prohibit its employees from engaging in any form of sexual harassment,” Tesla asserts in filings in one of the cases. The company emphasizes that it works to ensure “a safe and respectful work environment,” backing this up with multiple declarations by employees in various roles. And it cites its anti-harassment training and “See Something Say Something” and “Take Charge” programs that “empower employees to report any issues,” and claims it “promptly and thoroughly investigates . . . sexual harassment and, if substantiated . . . takes appropriate disciplinary measures, up to and including termination.” When reached by phone, the company’s lead lawyer, Sara A. Begley of Holland & Knight, acknowledged that she had received Rolling Stone’s inquiries, and then offered a terse “no comment.”

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So this is fun.

I have a flexfuel vehicle. Chevy Impala. Since gas prices are through the roof I thought fuck it, e85 it is since my car is designed for it. Today I got stranded because my fuel pump died. The culprit? Fucking e85. Apparently it's a known issue as the shop pulled a service bulletin.

So my vehicle advertised as and sold to me as "designed for" e85... Can't actually run e85, unless you like getting stranded by the side of the road and buying new fuel pumps. Has there been a recall? Nope! Fuck GM.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2022
    Is this not chat

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    So this is fun.

I have a flexfuel vehicle. Chevy Impala. Since gas prices are through the roof I thought fuck it, e85 it is since my car is designed for it. Today I got stranded because my fuel pump died. The culprit? Fucking e85. Apparently it's a known issue as the shop pulled a service bulletin.

So my vehicle advertised as and sold to me as "designed for" e85... Can't actually run e85, unless you like getting stranded by the side of the road and buying new fuel pumps. Has there been a recall? Nope! Fuck GM.

Nonono see it can run on e85, but you can’t just switch on the fly! You need to let the manufacturer know when you buy it what fuel you will be using. Clearly this is all your fault.

:angry:

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    So this is fun.

Nonono see it can run on e85, but you can’t just switch on the fly! You need to let the manufacturer know when you buy it what fuel you will be using. Clearly this is all your fault.

:angry:

Weird flexfuel vehicle.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited October 2022
    So this is fun.

I was curious about this, because I’ve run E85 several times in the past on various cars. Looks like a bad fuel pump design on the 2011+ 3.6L V6s and a few of the 2.4L 4 cylinders. If the issue happens under warranty it’s covered, but I’m surprised they didn’t offer some kind of extended coverage for this problem. That sucks.

TSB #18-NA-072, if you’re interested.

EDIT: There appears to be a class action lawsuit in the works: Link

mRahmani on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I have a multifuel engine.The nearest country that sells E85 is Spain.

I live in the Netherlands.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    E85 is mostly useless and exists because it was an easy way for Ford/GM/Chrysler to boost their fleet efficiency for CARB/EPA. It has 30% less energy than gas and a result drops your mpg by around 40%.

It does have an incredibly high octane rating, so lots of people tune their cars for it to get more power as a cheap alternative to race fuel in the US, but in most ways it’s objectively worse than gas.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Thats exactly what i wanted out of it. Not as a daily combustable but fun for an afternoon.

It's even tuned for it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    So this is fun.

I was curious about this, because I’ve run E85 several times in the past on various cars. Looks like a bad fuel pump design on the 2011+ 3.6L V6s and a few of the 2.4L 4 cylinders. If the issue happens under warranty it’s covered, but I’m surprised they didn’t offer some kind of extended coverage for this problem. That sucks.

TSB #18-NA-072, if you’re interested.

EDIT: There appears to be a class action lawsuit in the works: Link

Fucking good. I was on my way to see a terminally ill family member when my fuel pump gave out and I am fucking livid that time was stolen from me and my family because of this bullshit.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Sort of why I'll probably go gas for our next car still. Car companies have a long long history of being really shitty about their products. I'm not super pumped to be spending a small fortune on something that's still sort of in beta given that kind of support.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I bought a car for the first time in uhh, 16 years? Something like that. Went and got a 2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Wasn't really planning to buy but they had one on the lot at a reasonable dealer markup (everything here is dealer marked up right now, from basic Hondas to Mercedes) and it was the spec I wanted...so several signed papers later I drove home with it. Very likely the last pure gasoline car I'll ever buy. I'll almost certainly go electric when I replace this down the road. Or more accurately when I hand this down to my daughter.

I'm seriously eyeing one of these if I sell my current 2013 Civic to a friend who needs it badly (his 2009 Civic is falling apart real bad in a way that's approaching terminal), especially considering I just got a new job that actually pays in the "new car" bracket, and my ideal car is basically just "give me a Civic but slightly more fun and also comfy"

it's either that or I buy some kind of compact hybrid since I do a lot of city driving, and save the fun for my motorcycles

Mortal Sky on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Car thread! I am in need of car advice. I am rather inclined to agree with the garage's opinion that my current vehicle ('09 mitsubishi lancer) is not particularly safe to be driving, based on the provided pictures of the inspection results.
    6s0zTm8.jpg
    There were other pictures, but this is the primary "shit's not safe" one. I will not pretend to have more than a surface-level knowledge of these machines, this is apparently part of the subframe holding the bits that keep the left front tire from flopping around.
    Which leaves me in need of a new vehicle. Under the assumption that the used car market is still absolutely fucked, I am pondering going for something new, which is a whole extra layer of options compared to "here's what exists for used cars in your area."
    I am not much of a car person, there's a part of my brain that says it'd be neat to own a Mini, but mostly I need a set of wheels, an engine, room for my long legs, bits to make it warm in Iowa winters and cool in Iowa summers, and a sound system that has the ability to get music from my phone on it, whether directly via bluetooth or via an aux input I can plug a bluetooth adapter into.

Budgetwise I have no clue how high I wanna aim for as an upper limit, because I have never had to do car loan type stuff to have any idea of how that stuff goes. Ideally it'd be nice to just be able to buy something outright, I have no clue how realistic that is in the $15-20k range.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Interest rates have risen dramatically in the last half a year, so if you need to finance to get a new car bear in mind you might be paying a ton more interest for it.

I don’t know what the used market is like now, but I sold my old car last year for what seemed like an absurd amount.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    As an ex owner, don’t buy a mini without knowing the issues they have.

As they are BMW’s packed inside a smaller chassis they come above average costs to repair. Used models are risky given the history of engine, and transmission issues.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Car thread! I am in need of car advice. I am rather inclined to agree with the garage's opinion that my current vehicle ('09 mitsubishi lancer) is not particularly safe to be driving, based on the provided pictures of the inspection results.
    6s0zTm8.jpg
    There were other pictures, but this is the primary "shit's not safe" one. I will not pretend to have more than a surface-level knowledge of these machines, this is apparently part of the subframe holding the bits that keep the left front tire from flopping around.
    Which leaves me in need of a new vehicle. Under the assumption that the used car market is still absolutely fucked, I am pondering going for something new, which is a whole extra layer of options compared to "here's what exists for used cars in your area."
    I am not much of a car person, there's a part of my brain that says it'd be neat to own a Mini, but mostly I need a set of wheels, an engine, room for my long legs, bits to make it warm in Iowa winters and cool in Iowa summers, and a sound system that has the ability to get music from my phone on it, whether directly via bluetooth or via an aux input I can plug a bluetooth adapter into.

Budgetwise I have no clue how high I wanna aim for as an upper limit, because I have never had to do car loan type stuff to have any idea of how that stuff goes. Ideally it'd be nice to just be able to buy something outright, I have no clue how realistic that is in the $15-20k range.

I think there are steps between “beater” and “new $20k car.” While the market is dumb right now, there’s still decent deals to be had out there.

Sounds like you want something smallish and fuel efficient with heat/ac/Bluetooth, right? Off the top of my head, I would suggest the Honda Fit. Sadly it was dropped from the US market after 2020, but here’s an example with lots of life left in it for $10k. Link

If you have decent credit, 4.5% APR is in the ballpark, which while not amazing isn’t historically terrible either. That’s under $200/mo with 0 down (60 month loan)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also as the general economy cools, you'll be able to bully more against the "Market adjusted rate", especially with good credit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Smallish is relative, it is just me and light grocery shopping in it regularly so I definitely don't need anything big, but also I have long legs so it can be tricky finding something I can sit comfortably in. I am reasonably sure I had tried sitting in a Fit my last round of car shopping and could not get the seat far enough back to be comfy, I do not recall if it had just been a bit cramped or issues getting my knee past the steering column.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt